• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch "Cannot Access MicroSD" issue.

So let me preface thus by saying this is a brand new 128GB PNY MicroSDXC that Ive been using with my Switch since launch day.

Yesterday though my switch was in sleep mode in the dock when my TV turned on and a message saying "MicroSD card has been removed. Please turn off your Switch and insert a MicroSD card" appeared. I never took our my SD card though. So I opened up the back took the card out, made sure everything was clean and put it back in. Ever since then I can't access my digital games anymore. Every time I try to access a game it says "Cannot Access MicroSD card" and when I go to Manage Software its blank and completely freezes my Switch. I've done several hard resets with and without the card inserted, tried cleaning the card and the slot, but nothing is working. Any suggestions as to what to do at this point?

So is there a way to salvage the card? Or do I just have to format it and hope for the best. And if I do format it do I just have to redownload everything again?

Format the card. Your saves are tied to the system's internal memory, so they're safe. You'll have redownload your digital software + patches.

Format the card. Your saves are tied to the system's internal memory, so they're safe. You'll have redownload your digital software + patches.

Any difference between Formatting through my PC or on my Switch? I know theres an option on the Switch to do it but not sure if it'll mess up any other files.

Any difference between Formatting through my PC or on my Switch? I know theres an option on the Switch to do it but not sure if it'll mess up any other files.

what other files?
saves are bound to the internal memory, so you should be good to go.

I would def switch to another card though. corrupted cards are prone to fail again, in my edxperience.

Well hit another road block. Tried to Format on the Switch and it says Unable to Read MicroSD Card so it can't format it. Tried to Format on PC and it wont let me because its Write Protected even though the tab is switched to the unlocked position.

Yeah... Two things I learned not to go budget brand, Powersupply Unit and SD cards

I've had PNY cards before and no problems. This was on sale on Amazon under "Amazon Choice" so I went with it since I needed it for launch. Didnt expect it to crap out after 7 months. Cant even format it because I cant get rid of its write protection. If I had the funds I'd buy a new SD card but its not in the budget right now so i'm essentially stuck with it.

I've had PNY cards before and no problems. This was on sale on Amazon under "Amazon Choice" so I went with it since I needed it for launch. Didnt expect it to crap out after 7 months. Cant even format it because I cant get rid of its write protection. If I had the funds I'd buy a new SD card but its not in the budget right now so i'm essentially stuck with it.

wait. isn't there at least one of year of warranty? send it back to amazon and ask for a new one.

edit:
Yeah... Two things I learned not to go budget brand, Powersupply Unit and SD cards

so true. the cheapo replacement off-shore power suppy for my external HDD almost set my apartment on fire.
then I built my own

adroit

If it's any consolation, the 512 GB SSD (Samsung) in my MacBook Pro died after 9 months. Covered by warranty, fortunately. Just goes to show you that flash memory is not the most reliable thing on earth.

Top Bottom