• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Micro SD recommendations

ASaiyan

Banned
I got a SanDisk 128gb off Amazon. Good value, works fine, and though I've downloaded a bunch of stuff I'm not even remotely close to filling it, lol.

Lylo

I recently got a 256GB SanDisk 95MB/s, seems to be working fine. I'm still testing it and can't recomend it yet because my previous one was a 128GB SanDisk 80MB/s and it simply died for no aparent reason.

So my sd card (Sandisk Ultra Micro SD 200GB ) arrived today and have it installed. Does it bother anyone that accessing the memory card is fairly easy, just buy lifting up the stand? I wish it was in a more secure location.

The game now defaults to the memory card for storage apparently, so if I want to to download to internal memory I would have to remove the memory card? Now way to chose where you want it installed?

molnizzle

So my sd card (Sandisk Ultra Micro SD 200GB ) arrived today and have it installed. Does it bother anyone that accessing the memory card is fairly easy, just buy lifting up the stand? I wish it was in a more secure location.

The game now defaults to the memory card for storage apparently, so if I want to to download to internal memory I would have to remove the memory card? Now way to chose where you want it installed?

No way to choose. Your save files are automatically on internal storage, game data on the card.

You can use multiple cards too. That's why it's in an easy to access spot. If you don't mind cycling between several different cards for different games, you can do that. Just make sure the Switch is fully powered off before you swap.

IamAwake

SanDisk 128GB microSDXC for $19.98 on eBay. I just bought one and thought I'd share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-128...694083&hash=item1a303cd820:g:wYsAAOSwRMtZZZTq

Edit: Sorry guys, I think this is a knock off after reading the reviews below the description. I was so excited to see it at that price I bought it right away thinking it would sell out fast at that price. I will try it anyway and hope I don't have any issues.

Those reviews though are from other past listings. Not from the user, since he only appeared in April. One of the reviews is from February.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
Those reviews though are from other past listings. Not from the user, since he only appeared in April. One of the reviews is from February.

Yes, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I was worried for a second. Also, the picture of the packaging looks pretty genuine.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Any news on these yet?

I know any micro sd will work but I'd (weirdly) prefer to have one of these ones lol.

I'm the same way. I'll probably buy one of these.

OCD Guy

Lol at this Official microSD $200

You'd have to be crazy to pay that when you can get a Sandisk Extreme Pro (flagship SD card) for less....Yes I know the Switch can't make use of the speeds, but it's to make a point that Sandisk are taking the piss here.

They can shove that SD card where the sun don't shine....

Aside from that you can pick up an equivalent 128gb microSD, so UHS-I U3 for a quarter of the price.....

shiyrley

Banned
This is the SD card I have in my Switch. Am I right in thinking that higher speeds would be pointless since the Switch can't take advantage of it?

Lol at this Official microSD $200

You'd have to be crazy to pay that when you can get a Sandisk Extreme Pro (flagship SD card) for less....Yes I know the Switch can't make use of the speeds, but it's to make a point that Sandisk are taking the piss here.

They can shove that SD card where the sun don't shine....

Aside from that you can pick up an equivalent 128gb microSD, so UHS-I U3 for a quarter of the price.....

For what it's worth that card is showing up as $99.99 now.....but still not a great deal by any means.

Zafir

This is the SD card I have in my Switch. Am I right in thinking that higher speeds would be pointless since the Switch can't take advantage of it?
Digital Foundry did tests around near the Switch's launch and noticed it wasn't really using the higher speeds of U3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=vbItTEmozxw

I don't think that's changed. Though it is a bit weird that Nintendo has opted for the U3 cards to be the ones for the Switch Partnership.

SirNinja

Get a 200GB card at <$70. For larger-size games (e.g., >12 GB), just buy the physical version. That's the plan I've gone with - hopefully I'll still have some room by the time bigger microSD cards get cheaper.

Thankfully Nintendo has mostly done an excellent job at keeping game sizes low. Less than 6 GB for Mario Odyssey is sublime.

OCD Guy

For what it's worth that card is showing up as $99.99 now.....but still not a great deal by any means.

I did notice that it went on sale shortly after, but as you say, still overpriced, but I suppose that was inevitable....

Will UHS-1 / U1 cards like this cause a problem? I found some people saying speed was very important, and I found other people saying the Switch is only rated to read that speed, not higher.

Not sure if it'll cause a problem but I went for U3 just incase. The Sandisk Extreme Plus was priced reasonably (not much more than U1 cards).

As far as I know the Switch can take advantage of UHS-I U3 speeds, it's just UHS-II that is pointless.

new edit: Although according to here UHS-II makes a difference https://twitter.com/SanDiskJP/status/837550339318411265

edit: Damn the extreme plus is 100 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYSVX64/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I paid far less for it than that, in that case that is high..

Lum1n3s

So um I found the page for that official Nintendo Switch SD Card and I could've sworn there was a thread about it but I can't seem to find it. Is there honestly any differences between the cards out there? I'm not sure what card to look into getting for the Switch.

Bryan1321

Banned
So um I found the page for that official Nintendo Switch SD Card and I could've sworn there was a thread about it but I can't seem to find it. Is there honestly any differences between the cards out there? I'm not sure what card to look into getting for the Switch.

The only thing you should be looking for it's the speed. The one you're posting it's pretty darn fast. Thats why its more expensive than the one posted on the OP besides the Nintendo Tax

Lum1n3s

The only thing you should be looking for it's the speed. The one you're posting it's pretty darn fast. Thats why its more expensive than the one posted on the OP besides the Nintendo Tax

So when it comes to speed, is there a notable difference? From what I'm seeing it says the one first posted can do 80mb vs 100mb with the Nintendo one.

So when it comes to speed, is there a notable difference? From what I'm seeing it says the one first posted can do 80mb vs 100mb with the Nintendo one.

There isn't. The system apparently has a speed cap that limits SD speeds anyway. So long as it's UHS-1, you'll get roughly the same loading times as any other card. The Nintendo one is just overpriced for the sake of being overpriced, save 50% and get this one instead. Has the same specs as the Nintendo one, too.

alf717

I got a Samsung 128GB last year and haven't filled it much. I prefer to have physical copies of games just got it for some digital only games and from time to time a demos or two. I'd say a 200GB+ is still a good spot unless you are full digital you might want a larger size micro sd card

Last edited:

pantanovera

Banned
Technically, the Nintendo switch needs MicroSD card with transfer speed with 60-95/sec and you need to pay attention to that. Personally, I prefer SanDisk both in quality,speed and price

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Managed to fill the previous card, so when I found this deal I jumped on it (to be fair I should have bought way more physical Switch releases as most games run straight from the cart and that can save you lots of space):

Samsung EVO Plus 512 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card with Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H1231S8/

(I got it at £86 and not at £76 is an even better price... could have waited :/)

Mista

Banned
Managed to fill the previous card, so when I found this deal I jumped on it (to be fair I should have bought way more physical Switch releases as most games run straight from the cart and that can save you lots of space):

Samsung EVO Plus 512 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card with Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H1231S8/

(I got it at £86 and not at £76 is an even better price... could have waited :/)
I got the same one. You have exactly this one or the newer model? Because the newer model is £86 mate

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I got the same one. You have exactly this one or the newer model? Because the newer model is £86 mate

I have that exact one, I just checked on my Amazon order (early October) and from there I went to see the actual item as sold today on the store. Not that I am too upset, I really needed the extra space and the card has very good specs... 🤷‍♂️ .

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I have that exact one, I just checked on my Amazon order (early October) and from there I went to see the actual item as sold today on the store. Not that I am too upset, I really needed the extra space and the card has very good specs... 🤷‍♂️ .
Yeah I have the same + newer models doesn’t matter honestly if we just want the extra space.

stranno

SanDisk Extreme Pro is probably the best card ever, and it is not that expensive. Lower end SanDisk cards are probably enough tho.

I have a SanDisk myself, a 400gb one. Never had any problems with it.

I got the same one from an Amazon deal last year or so, was actually pretty cheap. No worries about space and it was a lot cheaper than the 512GB cards. I've only got 266GB left of that space right now actually, I can easily see that fill up over the lifespan of the Switch tbh and it's hassle to have to buy a bigger one down the line. You just end up wasting more money than if you'd have got a good sized from the get go.

Andyliini

400g seems like overkill, is the switch your only gaming device?

I have multiple gaming devices, but I bought this card from Amazon sale last year. I got it relatively cheap, and probably never need to buy another card for my Switch, expect if this one breaks somehow. I have heard SanDisk cards are one of the best on the market right now, so I should be fine.

Ban Puncher

Bought a 128GB card last year and it's finally just started to groan under it's own weight. Will see what deals are floating about during Black Friday next week and pick up either a 400GB or 512GB SanDisk.

ChuyMasta

400gb for $49.99.
Scandisk

Only 60gigs of free space left.

Biggest offenders (10 gigs or more)

Witcher 3. Almost 32 gigs
Wolfenstein II
Starlink
Breath of the Wild
Smash bros
Y's VIII
Skyrim