• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

TheFatMan

Just started Chapter 6.

Hoping I can finish this up on my next weekend (tuesday and weds) so that I can be ready for Assassin's Creed Origins.

What a great game though. Just proves you don't need a AAA budget to make a fun, content filled 60 hour game.

Thud

Well to all the non-native english speakers, the translation is ass and I say this as someone who enjoyed the story :p

Oh it is ass. I got that covered.

If you replaced the sucky stuff like Ancient Species, notions, big hole, energy and the people die if they get killed logic it would be a start.

Also replace the «...» with color, cursive or even quotationmarks would be a major improvement.

Pretty sure they won't touch the main dialogue besides that. We should have send in the whole script!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh it is ass. I got that covered.

If you replaced the sucky stuff like Ancient Species, notions, big hole, energy and the people die if they get killed logic it would be a start.

Also replace the «...» with color, cursive or even quotationmarks would be a major improvement.

Pretty sure they won't touch the main dialogue besides that. We should have send in the whole script!

I second this notion

preta

I suspect this has been under way basically since launch and they just announced it now. I also don't really expect a full on re-localization, just zeroing in on what people have highlighted and complained about, especially BIG HOLE. Not unless they think that's how like Spoony Bard or something anyway.

They said they would be having a new team come onto the project to go over the localization again, which implies that they hadn't started yet as of the announcement. Additionally, I don't think they would have bothered at all if it weren't for the fact that JP sites started reporting on how bad the localization was - and that was shortly before they issued their announcement.

I do expect that they won't have time to actually fix much, though - they'll probably go after specific ones that are commonly cited as examples, like you said.

Cornbread78

Is this even possible? I thought the gifts are only compatible with specific people
You can only give gifts to people who want them. Laxia actually puts that stuffed pikkard up on display in the room :p

Oh cool, phew, their reactions were just a little weird. They were like "why me, I'm not a little girl" and the item wasn't highlighted when I selected it to give them, but hey, I donlt mind spoiling the ladies a little. Now I just need to find something appropriate to give to Nia.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh cool, phew, their reactions were just a little weird. They were like "why me, I'm not a little girl" and the item wasn't highlighted when I selected it to give them, but hey, I donlt mind spoiling the ladies a little. Now I just need to find something appropriate to give to Nia.

Spoil everyone, its needed for the true ending :p

Cornbread78

The only thing that drives me nuts about the game is the map directions...

I just got the
Oricalcum weapons
and see the spot on the map, but there is no path to get there.....

Walking around fighting the same baddies is annoying af...

Thud

The only thing that drives me nuts about the game is the map directions...

I just got the
Oricalcum weapons
and see the spot on the map, but there is no path to get there.....

Walking around fighting the same baddies is annoying af...

Pull out the area map. Also you can just ignore cannon fodder.

Cornbread78

Pull out the area map. Also you can just ignore cannon fodder.

I found it... I actually spawned at the correct point, but went in the direction of the yellow arrow, which is completely wrong....

Either way, I just found
Mishy!

Oh man, Lamaze breathing huh
Ricotta
? LMAO

sibarraz

Banned
Can you beat Grugantura on nightmare without using potions

Is ridiculous that if I fight him no matter what, even if using anti poison tech, you still get poisoned

Is ridiculous that if I fight him no matter what, even if using anti poison tech, you still get poisoned

Not sure if there's anything that nullifies status effects late late game, but the way gear works is that it just delays the bar that fills before the status effect kicks in. Nothing you have for the majority of the game prevents any status effect from occurring

Wagram

I've beat it on Inferno w/out using items. It takes a lot of patience. You basically need to not get hit and then zerg the hell out of the second phase.

Thud

"Sir, I need you to step away from the giant spiders butthole ASAP."

That was one of the hardest fights in the game even with items.

So who's your favorite party member to use?

Unlike Seven and especially Celceta I'm having trouble even tiering them based on effectiveness in this game, at least as of the first quarter of chapter 5. I like everyone so much and switch frequently to mix up the experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Unlike Seven and especially Celceta I'm having trouble even tiering them based on effectiveness in this game. I like everyone so much and switch frequently to mix up the experience.

Sahad cause the earquake move, also hummel makes exploring the harder stuff easy peasy with snipes

appaws

Banned
Is there some way to replay bosses? I see some people online talking about it....but I just find empty rooms if I go back....

Unlike Seven and especially Celceta I'm having trouble even tiering them based on effectiveness in this game, at least as of the first quarter of chapter 5. I like everyone so much and switch frequently to mix up the experience.

I mixed up my party members frequently, often to save healing iems in dungeon.

My favourite probably Adol-Laxia-Sahad.

Wagram

Finally finished the main campaign. What a fun month long journey with the game. I don't like it as much overall as I did Celceta (mainly because I really enjoyed that story and those characters), but man Ys VIII has amazing boss fights. Just good solid fun.

Toth

Okay, I am in Chapter 6 and I can't believe that
you STILL are finding castaways after all the time that has passed on the island. While you and the other villagers have been struggling like anything against a very hostile environment, these castaways spend weeks sitting around wearing the same clothes, never starving, never getting eaten (I can't see how that artistic noble could make it so long without getting killed) and ready to address you like the ship sunk just a few days ago....C'mon Falcom, that defies belief.

Cornbread78

Did I ever mention that I hate the map/navigation in this game?

Htf do I get back over there?

jI21Lb8.jpg

Laxia with glasses >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and yeah I wish the map navigation was better. I've been able to figure things out but the manual markers are completely useless lol

Eusis

Been putting this aside for the updated localization patch... but I do kind of wonder if it's worth doing that. I haven't beaten Ys Celceta so that's something to do, and it's not as if there's a shortage of games coming out soon or already in my backlog.

Coming up on the end of Chapter 5

Luminous Dana dungeons kinda selling me on this solo Adol idea. Haven't had this much fun with an action game/platformer since Shinobi on the PS2

Been a long time in general such a long single player game has held my focus and interest like this. I was a little worried about the length and I can understand some of the pacing complaints but I've been loving every minute I've spent with this game. About to go into work and will be thinking about it for a good chunk of my shift lol

sibarraz

Banned
Well, im way behind you guys, but I still want to share my victory againat gragantura.

After at least 15 tries following the tips given here, I slowly was finding ways to improve damage, I left him at 1 pixel of hp, but he still destroyed me

Instantly I played arguably one of my finest boss battles in gaming history, were I even managed to remove him 75% of its total HP before going second phase, while parrying its charge. I beat him only using Hummel, but in the last frame, he died for the team

This is way Im loving this game, I feel that Im getting better while trying each boss fight.

Also, they made fishing something very fun

https://twitter.com/Barrigol1/status/920478969064980480

TheFatMan

Just wrapped up the main story and got the True Ending. Great game, combat is a blast and the music is fucking amazing. Seriously award worthy sound track.

Some pretty bad writing and translation doesn't over shadow all of the fun I had playing this game. Everything you do in this game feels like it's making you stronger or giving you story that you want to know. Nothing felt like a waste of time and I never had to grind other than actually fighting my way through things.

This is the kind of stuff I want on my JRPG menu. No big budget shit shows like FF15.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Indeed, not sure how Mario and xeno will shake things up but so far Ys 8 is my personal GOTY

Ys8 - Hollowed Knight - Nioh - Cuphead - Nier auto

I really wish Nier was as challenging as Ys8 and for the most part the boss fights were pretty zzzz in comparison to ys and nioh with the game not typically maximizing what it wanted from you with it's combat system as tightly as Nioh and Ys does

DPB

It may have been the best dungeon in the game, but I'm not sure how I feel about running it again.

I've given up on it, I really liked it the first time round but this version is a chore.

Too many spongey enemies and bosses with vastly inflated HP. I also discovered that you have to fight all the bosses again if you leave the dungeon, and there don't seem to be any warp points. Make sure you bring a lot of insect repellent if you're going to attempt it - I ran out where there are wasp's nests in the middle of a platforming area.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've given up on it, I really liked it the first time round but this version is a chore.

Too many spongey enemies and bosses with vastly inflated HP. I also discovered that you have to fight all the bosses again if you leave the dungeon, and there don't seem to be any warp points. Make sure you bring a lot of insect repellent if you're going to attempt it - I ran out where there are wasp's nests in the middle of a platforming area.
At that point your accessories for your main character you like to play as should be the reward for all fish and the 2.5x damage double sp cost. Bosses still die very fast Honestly the 1/2 sp and 2.5x damage should be on every character

Top Bottom