• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Review Thread

With this one person refusing to fund them the end is surely nigh.

giphy.gif
This is a great use of that gif

Gxgear

This is one of those games where scores are doubly meaningless to me. Reviews only serve as a tool to catch any red flags such as game breaking technical issues. As long as it follows the source material dutifully that's all I'm looking for.

I loved stick of truth and I was super excited about this. I even liked the whole skin color reflects your difficulty because as racially charged as that is the message is pretty awesome that the darker u are the harder it is in our society, I loved that! It wasn’t offensive it was brutally true.

But I’ve since stopped watching a show I’ve seen every episode of and loved & I have no interest in the game.

The joke about Kanye’s mom caught me off guard, it’s a show that pushes the boundaries and I don’t always agree with them but I appreciate they don’t hold their tongues.

But that Kanye’s mom thing was absolutely tasteless and unacceptable. You should be able to push the envelope but there’s always a limit and disrespecting a guy’s dead mom who nobody really knew too well was just terrible.

Really sucks because the show stands next to the simpsons for me. Oh well:/

Saoshyant

as someone who hates Turn based combat, would i enjoy this game ?? i liked Child of light a lot, which was made by Ubisoft too

How do you feel about constant, pointless fetch quests? Because there are a ton of those.

Child of Light was developed by Ubisoft Montreal, while this game was made by another studio, Ubisoft San Franciso. Different developers.

I have been getting that vibe ever since they showed it at E3 2016. I really liked the Stick of Truth, but i'm torn because of all of the stuff i've seen of it so far wasn't really funny to me.

The Ars Technica review compares this game constantly with its predecessor, and the older one wins on most counts.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Do you need to be a regular South Park watcher to enjoy this game? A lot of the videos I've seen online seem to reference characters and events that I'm not familiar with.

Anoxida

Do you need to be a regular South Park watcher to enjoy this game? A lot of the videos I've seen online seem to reference characters and events that I'm not familiar with.

Nope. Do you find whatever South Park you've watched kinda funny? Do you like RPGs? Do you get easily offended?

If it's Yes, Yes, No then chances are high you might like this game. Don't NEED to know all the characters.

shimon

Nope. Do you find whatever South Park you've watched kinda funny? Do you like RPGs? Do you get easily offended?

If it's Yes, Yes, No then chances are high you might like this game. Don't NEED to know all the characters.

Good bc I haven't watched SP in years.

Anoxida

Good bc I haven't watched SP in years.

Tbh that might just make the game better. You'll encounter some new characters that'll probably feel fresh and funny to you and also see how some characters have developed. Randy in particular went from being a minor character to basically being the main character of the show. He's hilarious.

I'm not buying this game but have been looking at the reviews and I'm confused. Is 80 a bad score now? Is 90 the absolute lowest a game can go before it's deemed as a failure by some people? Why? Why can't a game get an 80 and still be a darn good game?

Just finished and will be writing my review up tomorrow. The combat system is great, the story is decent, the humour is South Park to a tee. It did feel like the story could have ended at multiple points though.

Think I must have spent around 17 hours total on it.

Terrorblot

Not only that but that comic and others similar to it are a very poor attempt at a moderate argument. Unless there is some sarcasm there I am missing.

It's apparently easier to pretend they don'pt understand hyperbole while defending a game/show that derives all of it's humor from it.

shaneo632

Just finished and will be writing my review up tomorrow. The combat system is great, the story is decent, the humour is South Park to a tee. It did feel like the story could have ended at multiple points though.

Think I must have spent around 17 hours total on it.

How much side content did you do out of curiosity? That's quite a bit shorter than I would've expected.

How much side content did you do out of curiosity? That's quite a bit shorter than I would've expected.

Quite a lot though many are fetch quests and you'll come across a lot of collectibles pretty easily. The thing is now that I've finished it only a couple of side quests actually stand out while the rest weren't that memorable.

samred

How do you feel about constant, pointless fetch quests? Because there are a ton of those.

Child of Light was developed by Ubisoft Montreal, while this game was made by another studio, Ubisoft San Franciso. Different developers.

The Ars Technica review compares this game constantly with its predecessor, and the older one wins on most counts.

(Sam from Ars here)

Yeah, I went into this really wanting to love it. I'm a longtime South Park fan, and I've reviewed a bunch of South Park games over the years. I don't envy anybody who is tasked with making a game that's both fun to play and funny in a South Park way. That's a tall order. But I looked at this game from multiple angles (whether you're a series fan or not, and whether you want a "hard" or "complex" South Park game or not), and I thought this was a disappointment for every metric. It's simply more fun to watch than to play, and I broke down why I feel that way.

It's a review written to the Polygon audience, who enjoy being offended by absolutely anything and everything. Like Klepek too, who makes a living off being offended.

Patrick Klepek and the rest of the Waypoint crew were super offended by the difficulty slider thing.

Gotta say if that joke offends you, well, then this game just isn't for you.

Patrick Klepek and the rest of the Waypoint crew were super offended by the difficulty slider thing.

Gotta say if that joke offends you, well, then this game just isn't for you.

What was their reasoning? I thought it was abrasive, but clever given Cartman's voiceover stating, "this doesn't affect combat, just every other aspect of your life".

Audioboxer

What was their reasoning? I thought it was abrasive, but clever given Cartman's voiceover stating, "this doesn't affect combat, just every other aspect of your life".

Rather than introduce a conversation regarding discrimination, racism and stereotyping, South Park: The Fractured But Whole uses the discrimination blacks and people of color face every day for a quick laugh in the character creation screen.

Even in our escapism, there’s no escape from it. Someone is going to remind you that you’re black. It happens every day. Ubisoft wants to make sure it’s responsible for that reminder on at least one of those days.

Well done.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/9/16435592/south-park-race-difficulty

Edit: I thought you were asking about Polygon. I'm not sure what Waypoint said specifically, unless they have an article like the above.

(Sam from Ars here)

Yeah, I went into this really wanting to love it. I'm a longtime South Park fan, and I've reviewed a bunch of South Park games over the years. I don't envy anybody who is tasked with making a game that's both fun to play and funny in a South Park way. That's a tall order. But I looked at this game from multiple angles (whether you're a series fan or not, and whether you want a "hard" or "complex" South Park game or not), and I thought this was a disappointment for every metric. It's simply more fun to watch than to play, and I broke down why I feel that way.

You thought SoT gameplay was fun? It was serviceable as a poor man's paper Mario but took a back seat to story/humor. This game (based on vids, I haven't played) looks to have better gameplay than SoT but I guess I will find out tomorrow!

Since the game relies so much on comedy and comedy is so subjective I was expecting it to be more polarizing but the reviews are actually generally higher than I thought.

samred

You thought SoT gameplay was fun? It was serviceable as a poor man's paper Mario but took a back seat to story/humor. This game (based on vids, I haven't played) looks to have better gameplay than SoT but I guess I will find out tomorrow!

I thought SoT was designed with comedy as a priority. The snappy, admittedly simple gameplay mostly just backed the writing up, but there were a lot of great "it's funny cuz you're PLAYING it" moments. I called that out in 2014 for Ars, as well. My review of FBW describes Ubi's attempts to diversify the combat this time, and why I thought they fell flat.

pakkit

Banned
Since the game relies so much on comedy and comedy is so subjective I was expecting it to be more polarizing but the reviews are actually generally higher than I thought.

I think it's because gamer culture and South Park culture have more critical cross over than even television reviews. That's why people are singling out Polygon and Waypoint, because they're one of the few reviews that actually critiquing the humor. People saying that they're just around to ruffle feathers though. No, their journal has an identity and they're sticking true to their voice. I honestly would've been surprised if a Polygon writer did NOT talk about the political incorrectness of many a South Park joke, and how it's libertarian views seem to deem everyone equally punchable.

jacobeid

Banned
It's a review written to the Polygon audience, who enjoy being offended by absolutely anything and everything. Like Klepek too, who makes a living off being offended.

Lol one more for the ignore list.

GAF members outing themselves left and right these days. Phew.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10

South Park: The Fractured but Whole is technically a better game than its predecessor with more engaging battles and character creation, but the story is oddly paced towards the end, and while it is a fun ride I don’t think it quite matches the plot of The Stick of Truth. It’s not without issue, but fans of South Park will enjoy this as much as the first.

(Sam from Ars here)

I have to say ( only 2 hours in ) that the Stick of Truth made more of an impression. Probably feels like that because it's not new anymore, like SoT was. Hope the game picks up, game starts pretty slow.

Still boggles my mind that Obsidian didn't produce this. They did an excellent job on SoT.

Lokimaru

I loved stick of truth and I was super excited about this. I even liked the whole skin color reflects your difficulty because as racially charged as that is the message is pretty awesome that the darker u are the harder it is in our society, I loved that! It wasn’t offensive it was brutally true.

But I’ve since stopped watching a show I’ve seen every episode of and loved & I have no interest in the game.

The joke about Kanye’s mom caught me off guard, it’s a show that pushes the boundaries and I don’t always agree with them but I appreciate they don’t hold their tongues.

But that Kanye’s mom thing was absolutely tasteless and unacceptable. You should be able to push the envelope but there’s always a limit and disrespecting a guy’s dead mom who nobody really knew too well was just terrible.

Really sucks because the show stands next to the simpsons for me. Oh well:/

This is a game where the Jew kid's Superhero name is the Human Kite. Change the T to a K and wow dude really? These guys pull no punches and hit everyone Black, White, Jewish, Christian, Gay, Straight it doesn't matter. The Joke wasn't about Kanye's Mom anyway, it was about the Game Kanye tried to make. Technically they actually completed the game for him which was actually kind of nice IMO. It's all how you chose to look at it really.

Terrorblot

This is a game where the Jew kid's Superhero name is the Human Kite. Change the T to a K and wow dude really? These guys pull no punches and hit everyone Black, White, Jewish, Christian, Gay, Straight it doesn't matter. The Joke wasn't about Kanye's Mom anyway, it was about the Game Kanye tried to make. Technically they actually completed the game for him which was actually kind of nice IMO. It's all how you chose to look at it really.

Depict a dude's dead mother as a black faced big lipped fish, "it's all how you chose to look at it really". How you have chosen to look at it speaks volumes Loki, tbqh. Also I don't speak for others but I also find the Jew stuff tired, old, and offensive ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . I've always found the "their making fun of everyone though!" argument juvenile and beyond the point.

MTC100

Banned
hmm... doesn't seem to be the smash hit the first game was, no "perfect" score yet either. I guess I'll wait a bit...

Stiler

It's been a while since I played the Stick of Truth, but couldn't you customize your character more in terms of your face and things? Could have swore you could pick your eyes/mouth, etc.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll chime in to say that I don't see the point in having someone review something they dislike, have disinterest, or hate.

It doesn't make any sense to have someone that only likes sports games reviewing a turn based RPG.

It doesn't make sense for a non-sports player (and non-nfl watcher) to review Madden for a major publication.

You wouldn't have someone that vehemently hates everything anime, disregarding everything from the gameplay to the plot because of how much they hate the anime artstyle, reviewing a game with anime art.

You wouldn't have a crazy evangelical review Xenogears.

I'll chime in to say that I don't see the point in having someone review something they dislike, have disinterest, or hate.

It doesn't make any sense to have someone that only likes sports games reviewing a turn based RPG.

It doesn't make sense for a non-sports player (and non-nfl watcher) to review Madden for a major publication.

You wouldn't have someone that vehemently hates everything anime, disregarding everything from the gameplay to the plot because of how much they hate the anime artstyle, reviewing a game with anime art.

You wouldn't have a crazy evangelical review Xenogears.

I wasn't aware Klepek or Kollar hated South Park. Klepek stated repeatedly that he grew up with South Park and liked Stick of Truth. Kollar's review never said anything about South Park not being his thing. You can dislike this game, but still think South Park ain't that bad.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wasn't aware Klepek or Kollar hated South Park. Klepek stated repeatedly that he grew up with South Park and liked Stick of Truth. Kollar's review never said anything about South Park not being his thing. You can dislike this game, but still think South Park ain't that bad.

It will be interesting reading Klepek's write up since he stated he liked the first game.

Lokimaru

Depict a dude's dead mother as a black faced big lipped fish, "it's all how you chose to look at it really". How you have chosen to look at it speaks volumes Loki, tbqh. Also I don't speak for others but I also find the Jew stuff tired, old, and offensive ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . I've always found the "their making fun of everyone though!" argument juvenile and beyond the point.

But making fun of Everyone is the only way you can make fun of Anyone. I'm Black so saw no problem with how the the fish was portrayed, how else would you do it? Was it crass sure but crass is kind of their shtick. Did you know Toolshed (Stan's alter ego) was slang for Vagina?

I haven't watched an episode of the new season yet these scores are making me happy. Ubisoft deciding to develop it in house didn't screw it up which was my concern

Top Bottom