• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Pre-Open beta starting in June

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Second half of June, to be exact. It's still a "rough estimate" and the information itself comes from the closed beta report published today.

In other news:
- Participants of the pre-open beta will receive "something", which will be unveiled at a later date. As of now, we know about some room item given to players who reached a certain level in the closed beta.
- The sign up page for open beta will go live tomorrow.
- Open beta characters will be carried over to the "retail" version of the game, pre-open beta characters will NOT transfer over.

Edit:
As twentytwo22 pointed out:
- No IP block of any kind was present during the previous tests (although near the end of CB rumors of one have appeared)
- The game is completely in Japanese, but there were English patches released during the course of previous tests

If you're getting a "language error" while creating a Sega account, add "Japanese" to the languages of your browser.

Edit2:
Apparently, all who participated in previous tests don't have to do anything to opt in as it will be done automatically.

Edit3:
Ok, my bad, the second half of June is apparently the date for the pre-open beta, not the "normal" one. Although, if everything goes smoothly, we can expect OB very soon.

Edit4:
Registration is up - link.

Edit5:
Pre-open beta last day schedule (thanks ezodagrom):
Japan:
- 19:00 ~ 26:00

UK:
- 11:00 ~ 18:00

USA East Coast:

- 06:00 (AM) ~ 1:00 (PM)

USA West Coast:
- 03:00 (AM) ~ 10:00 (AM)

Is this open for worldwide participation? Is there an English client or is this Japanese only?

Yeah, it isn't IP blocked or anything (although I guess it could be implemented if they feel like it).

It's only in Japanese but for the closed beta there was a team who put out a pretty extensive translation patch already.

Now that I know open beta characters transfer into the final game, I'm going to be a little more hardcore about it this time for sure.

MightyKAC

Missed the closed beta (much to my dismay) but I'm going all in on this one. And when it goes gold it will pretty much be my Diablo 3.

Raide

Managed to play some of the CB before my new graphics card turned up. Was ok but not great. Now I have to wait till Open to try out the new card. :D

And there it goes finally, I'm so looking forward to this and playing again, thanks for posting the news! :D I hope everything will go smoothly for SEGA so we can enter the true Open Beta rather quick.

Was there any announcement if the pre Open Beta will already included the Open Beta content? One would assume so I guess but you never know.

Ogni-XR21

I will probably wait for an English patch to be released before I jump in. I'm just not cut out for digging through Japanese menus any more.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do we need to resign up if we were already in the Closed Beta or is this it's own thing so we need to resign up?!?!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Could a mod change the "open" part of the topic to "pre-open"? Thanks.
Also, as stated in one of the edits, the pOB characters won't be transferred over to the OB.

Could a mod change the "open" part of the topic to "pre-open"? Thanks.
Also, as stated in one of the edits, the pOB characters won't be transferred over to the OB.

How about our closed beta characters? That would be awesome if there's going to be a wipe after the pre-open beta anyway.

ezodagrom

Guess I need to buy a computer...?

Or wait for iOS version? Decisions!
The iOS version is going to be a simpler single player game that has access to a few social features from the main game (like checking the email or the player shops).
The PC and Vita versions will be similar though (with the Vita version having lower graphics quality, of course), and if everything goes well during the tests of the Vita version, Vita players will play together with PC players.

ezodagrom

Isn't this going to be Free2Play in the end? If so, my body is so ready.
Yep, free to play. There are some features that are locked from free players, and they're only available when paying a subscription fee (like trading with other players, using the "my room", creating a players shop), but the core of the game (story, areas/quests, equipment, skills) will be available for free players.

Reclaimer

And still no way to play Phantasy Star PSP on my Vita? Pretty hyped for PSO2, but haven't played PSO heavily since the Dreamcast/GameCube.

Yep, free to play. There are some features that are locked from free players, and they're only available when paying a subscription fee (like trading with other players, using the "my room", creating a players shop), but the core of the game (story, areas/quests, equipment, skills) will be available for free players.

Nice, the monthly fee is what's stopped me from getting TERA.

Zekes!

I need to play this game.

Anyone think I'll be able to run this on my 15-inch Macbook Pro if I install Windows?

I ended up registering the day the last beta had ended so I logged into the Sega ID thing and when I scrolled down to the PS02 link this was underneath the link instead of the 'Service Registration' button: サービス利用登録済. What does this mean?

Top Bottom