• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

mrgone

Thanks for setting this up Stumpokapow! Just the push I needed to play these games I've been meaning to revisit for years

yBc3KwE.jpg

#morton
yRwirMj.jpg

#luigi

Been playing SMW off and on for the past week and really don't care for it. Played it when it originally came out and again on the GBA and now thibk I'm kind of done with the game as a whole.

The game only has a few powerups, cape, flower, mushroom, P balloon and Lakitu's cloud. I do like the cape, it is different from the Tanooki suit while still giving a similar ability. Learning to fly with it is one of the better parts of the game. The P balloon sucks, don't care foe it at all. Taking Lakitu's cloud is cool, but you really only have a few chances to get it. Mushroom and flower are just staples, so whatever. Do think it is dumb that if you get hit, the reserve falls automatically. Also think the checkpoint mushroom is stupid, since if you die you are still small starting from there.

Yoshi is eh. Really was awesome when I was a kid, but I don't really care to use him on the game. It is nice that he can walk on stuff that Mario can't, wish they would have used that more than they did. Also not a fan of baby Yoshi, although if I could keep him from growing I would like him in the Water levels.

And onto the levels. They found a way to make the Water levels even worse in this game. The blue fish suck. They littered some of the levels with them and, I think, over used them. If they just used them to block secrets or coins, I probably wouldn't mind them as much. Instead there is one or two levels where you have to wake them up and then have a school of green fish show up as well. If you are small, you kind of get fucked on these portions and end up having to time waking a fish up after a school would show up.

Not a fan of the world's either. None of them really have character. Almost all the levels could be anywhere in the game and it wouldn't seem out of place. None of them really stick out and make me want to go back to them, which is a shame. And Forest of Illusion is just shitty design. Think the only cool thing about the world's is Star Road and the location of Donut Secret 2.

The levels, for the most part, are designed well and are fun to play once or twice, but very few make me want to replay them. I've played the game multiple times over the last twenty years and still don't find any of them that memorable. Star Road has some of the most memorable levels, but they aren't really that challenging.

The enemies are something else I really don't care for in this game. Chargin' Chuck and Rip Van Fish both suck, but Chargin' Chuck doesn't even look like he belongs in a Mario game. Why the fuck is there an American football player throwing baseballs in this game? It really doesn't make any sense and it was a shame to see them return in 3D World.

The game does play good. I do like playing some of the levels and might spend some time doing any% speed runs, but think this might be the last time I play through the whole game again. Probably won't even get all 96 exits this time.

I'm with you. It's weird how, just before playing the game again yesterday, I had been, for all these years, of the opinion that World was not only one of the best Mario games, but was one of the greatest games of all time. I realize how it's not all that, and is easily surpassed by its contemporaries. Both Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island are much better games. So are the Donkey Kong Country games. Even the first one.

Man. I'm starting to understand the people who kept bringing up New Super Mario Bros. U as being the best. Fuck me lol.

Though on your post, I disagree about reverting back straight to small Mario from a power-up. I like it. It adds a layer of challenge that is sorely needed in this game. It make powerups precious to get and incentivises players in being extra careful when they have one. Or at least, that's how it would be if there weren't that secret area with infinite powerups and lives and yoshis lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How 6 year old me figured out the Cheese Bridge Area secret exit is beyond me

As a kid I some how did it a bonkers way of flying over the exit, instead of the easier way of going under. The thing is, the hit detection for the goal goes pretty high so it's very easy to trigger the goal even if you're right at the top of the stage. Must have been really lucky with my height.

PsionBolt

I give up... Staring at the screen so close is starting to hurt my eyes. I'm pretty darn sure I'm doing everything right -- I've tried and tried again like a gazillion times, including practicing with save states -- but I just can't seem to get this darn ACE glitch to do anything other than crash. Crash in like twenty ways, mind, but still, it always crashes.

I might come back to it someday before the end of the Club (or I might take on a different glitch method), but for today, you beat me, SMW.

Sigh.

Well I didn't have time to completely 100% the game, I was able to beat Bowser and get to the credits! I'm hoping to get to the rest of the awesomeness soon.

EmreBFG

tEfy1oX.png

9OOyLUE.png

#morton
#luigi

Took about four hours, got 93 on straight run through, had to retread Star World paths and Forest of Illusion Ghost House to get to 96.

Growing up I thought I had to get all the mid-way checkpoints to get up to 96... glad that's not true :)

Fun game, huge hype when I was a kid, still delivers but not as much as it used to. Looking forward to replaying SMB3 separately and Yoshi's Island when it's time. I never played YI so that should be a blast.

Neoweee

#morton

Did the short run. I forgot a lot of secrets and had to fumble around to find the various alternate exists. Did Yellow and Green switch palaces.

I remember feeling blasphemous when, upon first beating NSMB, thought it was better than SMW. I feel less dirty now, because there's a lot I don't like about SMW.

I beat the game for the first time in my life. When I was younger, I watched my older brother beat most SNES games, and that took away any motivation to beat them. Happy I finally did it on my own. And I must say SMW really impressed me. I see a lot people going the other way on it, but I have more respect for the game than I ever did. #morton

traveler

Not Wario
I'm with you. It's weird how, just before playing the game again yesterday, I had been, for all these years, of the opinion that World was not only one of the best Mario games, but was one of the greatest games of all time. I realize how it's not all that, and is easily surpassed by its contemporaries. Both Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island are much better games. So are the Donkey Kong Country games. Even the first one.

Man. I'm starting to understand the people who kept bringing up New Super Mario Bros. U as being the best. Fuck me lol.

Though on your post, I disagree about reverting back straight to small Mario from a power-up. I like it. It adds a layer of challenge that is sorely needed in this game. It make powerups precious to get and incentivises players in being extra careful when they have one. Or at least, that's how it would be if there weren't that secret area with infinite powerups and lives and yoshis lol.

It sounds like I definitely enjoyed the game more than y'all, but it probably helps I was coming from the opposite perspective- always preferred YI, SMB3, and the new DKC games to what I had played of it. This time, I found unique things to appreciate about it, even if I'd still rank it the same.

YI will be the true test of my nostalgia and DKC others, I think. While I hold Retros latest efforts up as genre bests, I don't think the originals hold up that well as plat formers, so much so that I find it weird when someone says they dislike the series, as if the original trilogy is anywhere near Retros work.

Also, I need to go back and play NSMBU. I always considered the Wii iteration the high point but all this praise for the U version has me wondering if I missed something. I played and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees aside from 2 but don't remember the U version standing out over the Wii one.

Chucker

Stopped playing with borders and box icons long enough for me to play through this with my 6 year old. Might got for 96 later, might not.
#morton

Looking forward to Super Punch Out.

Managed to beat the game and get all 96 exits without a guide! I remembered a lot more than I thought I would, not having played through the game proper in close to a decade. Tried for about a half hour to do one of the gltiches in the OP but I gave up, some super precise timing that I just don't have the patience for. Fun ride back through this one, though I'll admit I cheesed a few levels with the cape. Holy shit though tubular gave me fits, as did Bowser Valley Fortress.

#morton
#luigi

Larry's Castle is such frustrating and disappointing design for the final normal castle in the game. Even for a bad player like me, the first section is easy to do almost every single time without fail as tiny Mario, yet it's not followed by a checkpoint.

There actually IS a checkpoint in that level.
Ride the brown block snake down the pit at the end of the first area, the checkpoint is there along with some oneups and a free super mushroom every respawn

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
For those who haven't done the glitch goal yet, I recommend trying the orb Glitch! It is not very tough with the proper setup (leave the piranha plant alive despite what some of the setup videos say).

I executed it after about 5 or so tries. Spent almost as much time walking across the world map and collecting a Yoshi and Cape lol.

Give it a half hour or so and anyone should be able to do it. If you can get either of the other goals then you can do this one no sweat.

For those who haven't done the glitch goal yet, I recommend trying the orb Glitch! It is not very tough with the proper setup (leave the piranha plant alive despite what some of the setup videos say).

I executed it after about 5 or so tries. Spent almost as much time walking across the world map and collecting a Yoshi and Cape lol.

Give it a half hour or so and anyone should be able to do it. If you can get either of the other goals then you can do this one no sweat.

Oh wow yeah you were totally right, that was way easier, cool! Will mess around with this thing for a while

#goomba

EDIT:

bHAFCLc.png

Muzy72

Banned
j1ZWywm.png

I did it just in time! #morton

Might go for the 96 exits one later if I have extra time from beating later games, but I'm content with the normal goals for now lol.

Blizzard

Banned
There actually IS a checkpoint in that level.
Ride the brown block snake down the pit at the end of the first area, the checkpoint is there along with some oneups and a free super mushroom every respawn
That would have made that level a lot more tolerable, though it seems very counterintuitive. Maybe there's a way to scroll the camera that hints at it. I had to wait on the moving blocks SO MANY TIMES.

That would have made that level a lot more tolerable, though it seems very counterintuitive. Maybe there's a way to scroll the camera that hints at it. I had to wait on the moving blocks SO MANY TIMES.

The later levels in SMW have a bit of the blind jump/wandering aimlessly in difficulty design philosophy, and I think it's one of the game's sore points in retrospect. Product of it's time I think.. Nintendo have definitely come a long way with 2D platforming design since then.

Christine

Okay so I didn't quite do them last but I glitched all four switch palaces so that I made a 96* save locked in the off mode

Then I did Funky. That was a damn pain when you can't take a hit without losing the orb, although not as bad as Outrageous. I eventually just flew over Outrageous with the cape from Groovy. Outrageous can go fuck itself.

Whee!

Landed on Yoshi and broke the tape. Double Finish!!

So uh, #luigi #goomba and apparently also #cyan. Gimme stickers, MabDat.

jennetics

My first ever Mario game that I've beaten to completion. Absolutely wrecked me going in but I got a decent handle of the physics and controller layout eventually (never owned a SNES before this). Happy to have finally beaten it!

#morton

Endy MacK

Finally finished this one! Lots of fun, and more challenging than I expected. I owned all of the Nintendo consoles growing up except for the SNES (I had a Genesis), so it was great to play through start to finish on my own. It was always kind of dream-like to play games like this and DKC in little chunks at friend's houses.

I still want to come back to this to complete all exits, and also do a no save state run (I used a couple, including to retry the bowser fight a few times - shame me, GAF!)

.... And now I'm on to Punch Out, another new experience for me!

#morton

MilkLizard

I had a lot of fun doing this since I never played the game before. Gonna be honest though that I looked a few exits up on google. Same for the Orb glitch. Awesome game, and I can't wait for the Yoshi's Island Club ;)

#morton
#luigi
#goomba
#euro

Top Bottom