• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is America the best at Football (american)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwarb

Would do well, because investment equals success in general., but wouldn't dominate if it were as popular as football football.

Derrick01

Banned
I think most rugby nations would steamroll footballers. It's to weak of a sport. I mean, you'd have to kill off a lot of the interference rules and such though.

Doubtful. They have to play by football rules and the average NFL player is bigger and more athletic. They have guys closer to 300 pounds than 200 that can keep up with some running backs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're comparing Chess (American Football) to Checkers (Rugby)

I'm not super familiar with american football, so I'm just curious on how this comparison works?

Doubtful. They have to play by football rules and the average NFL player is bigger and more athletic. They have guys closer to 300 pounds than 200 that can keep up with some running backs.

Have you seen some rugby players? They're in the same league, if not even more so.

m3k

is australia the best at football (australian rules)?

if the rest of the world played afl, would australia be on top forever? would the other countries catch up in skill levels

i hear ireland is pretty good

Hockey now that is a manly sport where men bleed, grow beards, play with broken bones and fight with their fists.

I swear every time I skip through the channels and go to the sport channel, there's some toothless dude being interviewed and I just know instantly it's a hockey player.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Also I guess it would depend on the techniques and teachings of players and coaches of different countries. Unless I'm not thinking clearly tonight..

MC Safety

Isn't Canada the only other country in the world that plays football?

If you ever get a chance, read John Grisham's "Playing for Pizza." It's a fun read about a semipro professional league in Italy.

The story is fictional, of course, but the Italian leagues are real.

Dan Yo

Banned
It happened so quickly that I feel it could happen in football too.
Meh, the year that this occurred in basketball, the US had become pretty lazy in their domination. Players that were not even close to representing the best America had to offer were on the team. Americans in general don't seem to take the Olympics that seriously. Yes, it's an arrogance thing.

danwarb

The average NFL player is no way more athletic than your average professional Rugby player. Rugby is none-stop for 40 minutes a half, and brutal.

OddSpoon

Banned
The average NFL player is no way more athletic than your average professional Rugby player. Rugby is none-stop for 40 minutes a half, and brutal.

Soccer players are far more conditioned than both. NBA Basketball players are whiny bitches who can't take a slight push.

Salacious Crumb

America has a talent pool of over 300 million people to draw from and all the money in the world, they can can be the best at every sport if they try, including soccer. USA vs Western Europe would be a more even match up.

cubanb

Banned
America has a talent pool of over 300 million people to draw from and all the money in the world, they can can be the best at every sport if they try, including soccer. USA vs Western Europe would be a more even match up.

That's a good point. Football and soccer draw from some of the same talents.

The thing about Soccer is... Most kids give it up in High School to play football.

danwarb

So why is the Spanish nation soccer team so good with a population of 46 million?

WARCOCK

Banned
You seriously trying to argue that NBA players are bigger bitches than soccer players?

Uhhh the risks of getting your ass hurt is much higher when people are slide tackling you than if they are dunking on you, brah. Yeah it's nothing compared to the danger exposure in the NFL or rugby, but basketball? Come on.

m3k

wow

by that logic china and india would rule the world of sports with an iron fist

and no they wouldnt beat europe at soccer

Dresden

qBEVH.jpg

Soccer players are far more conditioned than both. NBA Basketball players are whiny bitches who can't take a slight push.

Basketball players play day in day out, with training in the middle. They mostly stay 25-35 minutes on court, but it is a game that requires explosion and given the type of court and movement it is very taxing to their legs. They are very well conditioned.

Real Football (soccer for peasants) players run an average of 7 to 8km per game in 90 minutes, they play every 4 days or so with training in between. Quite the different physical conditioning from Basketball, so it is unfair to compare.

Kozak

Banned

Soccer players aren't trained and conditioned to take big hits.

NFL would never become an Olympic sport because the rest of the world finds it boring. 30 seconds game time and 5 minute down time is not what a lot of us consider "fun".

This is such bullshit. The only other Championship game that draws more is The Champion League final. 111 million people tuned in to watch The Superbowl world wide.

Is there a figure for the "worldwide"? There are a lot of people in America, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of viewers from outside of America was less than 10 million..

Pollux

Uhhh the risks of getting your ass hurt is much higher when people are slide tackling you than if they are dunking on you, brah. Yeah it's nothing compared to the danger exposure in the NFL or rugby, but basketball? Come on.
Oh I'm sorry. I guess I was mistaken and I wasn't watching soccer when guys were falling down like they'd been shot grabbing their ankle and screaming like a 5 year old girl, then jumping up and running away...perfectly fine? My mistake.

Uhhh the risks of getting your ass hurt is much higher when people are slid tackling you than if they are dunking on you, brah. Yeah it's nothing compared to the danger exposure in the NFL or rugby, but basketball? Come on.

You should see the basketball in Greece, there they are more in danger of the crowds.

wow

by that logic china and india would rule the world of sports with an iron fist

and no they wouldnt beat europe at soccer

Well of course you can't just say : More people = More quality. India loves soccer but they got such terrible pitches that it really does stop their development.

Oh I'm sorry. I guess I was mistaken and I wasn't watching soccer when guys were falling down like they'd been shot grabbing their ankle and screaming like a 5 year old girl, then jumping up and running away...perfectly fine? My mistake.

Dear lord, lol, someone must have purely watched Barcelona.

Dresden

Sounds like the NBA to me. You forgot the part where they flail their arms trying to fly away, though.

Ezalc

This is such bullshit. The only other Championship game that draws more is The Champion League final. 111 million people tuned in to watch The Superbowl world wide.

Bet that most of those people were all American, regardless if they were actually in the US or not.

Bet that most of those people were all American, regardless if they were actually in the US or not.

Meh, I actually know a few people who watch the superbowl and even I did this last year... or two years ago, can't remember, there was a team named bears and I bet on them cause it sounded like a team for real men! Then the fuckers lost and I didn't even understand how. But it does take some dedication or just a fucked up sleeping pattern, will never watch the superbowl again though, what a piece of shit that was. Commercials all the time and extremely shitty music.

Considering no other nations play it professionally (accept Canada?), then probably. It would be like asking the US to compete in Rugby League against Aus/NZ/Eng/ etc. they would get smashed.

Speaking of getting smashed, take some of those NFL players out of their helmets and shoulder pads and put them in a Rugby Union or League game... I can't see them coping with the hits or the intensity of a non stop game. :)

to answer your question, the united states would obliterate the rest of the world for a minimum of a decade in the olympics if american football were to be played.

and this is assuming that we just field our college all star team. if we literally had the best of the best from the NFL no country would ever compete with us. but it will never be an olympic sport since it's too violent for most

m3k

almost no one cares for nfl outside of america... and comparing the sport to another is pointless

Considering no other nations play it professionally (accept Canada?), then probably. It would be like asking the US to compete in Rugby League against Aus/NZ/Eng/ etc. they would get smashed.

Speaking of getting smashed, take some of those NFL players out of their helmets and shoulder pads and put them in a Rugby Union or League game... I can't see them coping with the hits or the intensity of a non stop game. :)

I bet RG3 can take on a whole rugby team by himself.

maybe. i wonder what would happen if some of these rugby players tried to put on a helmet and pads and actually learn to play professional football with its ultra complex schemes and formations/etc.

if you took took the best LB in the NFL i bet he could succeed at rugby. i doubt the best rugby player could step in and be a successful NFL player

Seanspeed

Banned
Both are incredibly amazing sports. I love the NFL more cuz I grew up mostly in the States with a dad who was a big American football fan and was a star high school receiver but didn't have the grades or money to go to college so went into the Army(and then Navy) instead. But my mom is British and the World Cup was always a big deal around my house and like many kids, played soccer for many years as a kid and I definitely appreciate both sports to a great degree. I've recently got more into soccer since we now have channels that actually cover European leagues.

But to the point of the OP, yes, we would steamroll any other country in American football. Just like we steamrolled every other country with basketball when we allowed pro players in the Olympic squads. We would steamroll any other baseball team, we would steamroll any other basketball team and we would steamroll any other American football team. America gets a lot of hate, but we produce some damn fine athletes and competitors if we care enough about it. If only we cared more about road racing, cuz F1 would benefit from a great American driver.

tino

Banned
Olympic committee would never put a sport where one country dominant in Olympic, so your question is dumb.

Korea had to make a lot of concession to Taekwando rules in order to get it in Olympic.

Mully

Somoans. For such a small island, they produce some of the NFL's top players. However, the US has the most talent by a wide margin. It's really amazing how much of a monopoly the US has on football.

cubanb

Banned
Olympic committee would never put a sport where one country dominant in Olympic, so your question is dumb.

Korea had to make a lot of concession to Taekwando rules in order to get it in Olympic.

Ya, Basketball ever became an olympic sport. The Americans would dominate that forever and a day.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
maybe. i wonder what would happen if some of these rugby players tried to put on a helmet and pads and actually learn to play professional football with its ultra complex schemes and formations/etc.

if you took took the best LB in the NFL i bet he could succeed at rugby. i doubt the best rugby player could step in and be a successful NFL player

If by succeed you mean die from a heart attack.

Somoans. For such a small island, they produce some of the NFL's top players. However, the US has the most talent by a wide margin. It's really amazing how much of a monopoly the US has on football.

No it's not, other countries play better sports

What's amazing is America's total fascination with the game

I was thinking the other day if America in general gave a shit about soccer (I do), and if all those great athletes who dedicated their craft to basketball or football their entire life, did it to soccer instead. We'd be pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom