• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

BlazinAm

I might have to change my avatar lol.

Just to summarize it and from what I understand:

• SCEA and Superbot first works with Paul Gale so Gale to hype for the title through leaks.
  • Sony fails to get proper hype trailers to both Dante and Raiden because they were revealed in the beta leaks
  • SCEA and Superbot then work with Paul Gale so Gale can still create hype for the title by making false leaks
  • SCEJ finds out that Platinum is bashing the game because Raiden didn't get a proper hype reveal (probably supposed to happen at TGS) so they arrange for PR firings in SCEA, mostly those working in PAS:BR

fixed

Yeah so do I. While SCEA probably wanted a smash bros ripoff, the guys over at superbot seem like such nice guys who genuinely just wanted to create a good fighting game for the playstation fans. And the game seems like it has alot of effort and care behind it too.

It DOES. It's an absolutely great game, with a ton of effort and excellently translated characters for the most part. A solid foundation for a series, that simply needs the reputation behind it for sequels to get bigger and better

• Sony fails to get proper hype trailers to both Dante and Raiden because they were revealed in the beta leaks
  • SCEA and Superbot then work with Paul Gale so Gale can still create hype for the title by making false leaks
  • SCEJ finds out that Platinum is bashing the game because Raiden didn't get a proper hype reveal (probably supposed to happen at TGS) so they arrange for PR firings in SCEA, mostly those working in PAS:BR
  • Now superbot is working on more characters so that it could match the initially false leaks that Paul Gale released (and this is probably why the game was delayed)

What leaks? They were so vague, it could be anything. Sony knows what we want when it comes to their first Party (kat, WANDER!) but it's the third party that will really hit it home, but the reviews and initial sales wont have the benefit of having the dlc characters.

Zeroth

• Now superbot is working on more characters so that it could match the initially false leaks that Paul Gale released (and this is probably why the game was delayed)

More like:

• SCEJ finds out that Platinum is bashing the game because Raiden didn't get a proper hype reveal (probably supposed to happen at TGS), and then look deeper and find out the PR staff purposely lied to their consumers through hiring a third party to spread fake hype. They also realized the PR team didn't handle the leaks properly, and combined with the fact they kept this under wraps from SCEJ, they decided to fire all of them.

Darknight

That implies they already had a business relationship with him and wouldn't need to seek him out and pay him to spread false info.

Yes, the moment he posted that I knew that all he was saying was BS and that he had been hyping the game since day 1. (while misleading us)

Im surprised I was the only one that caught that and everyone else (at the time) was commenting on his Street fighter idea thing.

Mr. Fix

I would imagine that with the full the full weight of SCEJ saying that they have to they can probably get a lot more done. Not only with more strings being pulled, but with SCEJ essentially saying that you will spend what you have to spend. That's at least how I imagine it.

That does make sense. SCEJ finally putting their hand into all of this should help the fans get what they want.

watershed

Banned
The funniest part is the developers adding new content to the game to match the fake leaks that got fans hyped in the first place.

We should use this tactic on more games.

NeoUltima

Since people are discussing this in the main PSASBR thread, it probably deserves its own post here. The following is from Afro Gunsou, who was given permission from his source to share this story.

I must say...the writing in this story is poor. I am getting confused multiple times.

Example:

"It's worth nothing that all but three of the SCEA PR and marketing staff originally assigned to PS All Stars is still working on the project."

So only 3 got laid off/relocated? Or should it be only 3 still remain?

Mik_Pad

Banned
If all this is true I just hope they fired the one with the brilliant idea of tricking the fans with false information.

I think it's important for me to note that this is the account relayed to be by someone currently laid-off.

It could be entirely false but based on my relationship with this individual on a personal basis, I see no reason as to why he would make any of this up.

I think this should be put in the OP.

Holy shit, I knew this game was experiencing leaks, but I was unaware of all of this... Can someone possibly summarize everything big that has happened to lead to this?

Basically this:
More like:

• SCEJ finds out that Platinum is bashing the game because Raiden didn't get a proper hype reveal (probably supposed to happen at TGS), and then look deeper and find out the PR staff purposely lied to their consumers through hiring a third party to spread fake hype. They also realized the PR team didn't handle the leaks properly, and combined with the fact they kept this under wraps from SCEJ, they decided to fire all of them.

But with more.

BlazinAm

So Sony waited until desperation to obtain the proper 3rd party characters? If that's true, then lolohwow.

Seems like they had those deals in place but the false info fucked them up big time with other characters.

A gentleman's agreement is a verbal handshake agreement correct? Sounds like deals where in place for reveals and PR let that info leak, if so that is a justifiable notion for termination.

Mr. Fix

I must say...the writing in this story is poor. I am getting confused multiple times.

Example:

"It's worth nothing that all but three of the SCEA PR and marketing staff originally assigned to PS All Stars is still working on the project."

3 remain.

prwxv3

At least they are changing their complete shit PR people. I just hope all the dudes actually working on the game are not fired.

Ridley327

what happened with the raiden situation and why should Kojima pro be pissed?

Instead of getting a proper reveal like the other characters had been getting, he was rather unceremoniously shown off in a bit of demo footage from PAX Prime. I think I remember that the website was accidentally updated with his profile photo before that footage even happened, as well.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow what a clusterfuck. Still tho... the whole SCEJ involvement is pretty weird, or do they mean Shuhei Yoshida? Anyway the biggest thing I take away of this mess is that characterbegging apparantly helps, so I wonder if I should go in the PSABR thread now and start spamming for Alundra.

Mr. Fix

what happened with the raiden situation and why should Kojima pro be pissed?

They wanted Raiden's (and Dante's) reveal trailer done in a similar fashion to Sonic/Snake's reveal trailers for Brawl (meaning actually decent). That was the agreement. Once the roster was leaked, SCEA panicked and we got the lame ass trailer(s) you see on the internet. It was supposed to hype up Revengance too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just wow.

dumbass.jpg

Raonak

Banned
The funniest part is the developers adding new content to the game to match the fake leaks that got fans hyped in the first place.

We should use this tactic on more games.

It is quite amazing. guess there is some good to come from this trainwreck.

jett

D-Member
What a weird situation. I guess it all stems from Superbot's ineptitude. They really should've taken a look at the beta's filebase.

zroid

Banned
I don't fully understand what happened here (it just doesn't seem to make much logical sense), but what I do know is Sony is completely out of its mind

Carl

Also, Kamiya said the PSASBR thing before the official Raiden announcement, didn't he? Which kind of makes no sense. They were bashing it for the different reveal before it was even revealed? If they knew Sony had changed how it would be revealed, why didn't they complain about it? Or if they didn't know Sony had changed their mind, what did the bashing have to do with it?

Example:

I had to write the PM relatively quickly. Sorry for the spelling errors.

Let me clarify. Only 3 remain. The others have been moved onto other projects or laid-off.

What a complete trainwreck.

I'll still probably pick up the game sometime but jesus, I never really realized just how badly a leak can hurt a game's release.
Would it have been half as bad if the leak was Cloud, Snake, classic Dante and Crash instead?

Our favorite Sony Ex-PR guy said "no truth to any of that, to my knowledge." on Twitter.

While some of this doesn't make sense like the whole TGS aspect, if I was an ex-PR guy from Sony but was still looking to work in the industry I'd probably deny being partially responsible for an enormous clusterfuck in marketing like this too.

Drencrom

Anyway the biggest thing I take away of this mess is that characterbegging apparantly helps, so I wonder if I should go in the PSABR thread now and start spamming for Alundra.

Many of us have been begging since the start, feels good to know it wasn't all in vain hehe

libregkd

Also, Kamiya said the PSASBR thing before the official Raiden announcement, didn't he? Which kind of makes no sense. They were bashing it for the different reveal before it was even revealed? If they knew Sony had changed how it would be revealed, why didn't they complain about it? Or if they didn't know Sony had changed their mind, what did the bashing have to do with it?
Maybe they were upset about the leak occuring in the first place.

Wow what a clusterfuck. Still tho... the whole SCEJ involvement is pretty weird, or do they mean Shuhei Yoshida? Anyway the biggest thing I take away of this mess is that characterbegging apparantly helps, so I wonder if I should go in the PSABR thread now and start spamming for Alundra.

Monica from Dark Cloud! Monica from Dark Cloud! Monica from Dark Cloud!

Wander & Kat are absolutely a given, they have to be. What we need now is MONICA FROM DARK CLOUD! And this as the stage

Top Bottom