• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Six: Hail Married, Together Forever

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They used to have an email address to send in stuff, but I don't think they have it anymore.

Being an Alabama site, they know more of the southern schools, and the larger boards for them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Baylor coaches now openly in conflict with administration.

Basically the admin said that when one of their 2016 JUCOs was dismissed earlier this year it was the head coach and AD that did it, while the head coach is saying it was the administration that was responsible while he just wanted to suspend the player while the investigation was ongoing. The coaches all posting at the same time with the Briles' favorite #TruthDontLie hashtag is basically continuing the narrative that the football program (and Briles) were unfairly scapegoated by the Regents for what was actually a university wide issue.

Baylor fans better enjoy their wins this season because their roster is about to take a massive nosedive. Half of the 2016 recruiting class gone, only two commits so far for 2017, and a coaching staff that everybody knows is gone in a few months. Rumors are that they're already telling some of their recruits that they'll have an offer "wherever I'm coaching next year."

Baylor coaches now openly in conflict with administration.

Basically the admin said that when one of their 2016 JUCOs was dismissed earlier this year it was the head coach and AD that did it, while the head coach is saying it was the administration that was responsible while he just wanted to suspend the player while the investigation was ongoing. The coaches all posting at the same time with the Briles' favorite #TruthDontLie hashtag is basically continuing the narrative that the football program (and Briles) were unfairly scapegoated by the Regents for what was actually a university wide issue.

Baylor fans better enjoy their wins this season because their roster is about to take a massive nosedive. Half of the 2016 recruiting class gone, only two commits so far for 2017, and a coaching staff that everybody knows is gone in a few months. Rumors are that they're already telling some of their recruits that they'll have an offer "wherever I'm coaching next year."
That last part is only true if they end up somewhere worse than Baylor at football.

tebunker

Banned
Is this only for the south? Oregon looks like full meltdown mode, if you look at their boards/websites.

A lot of it comes from
Sbnation sites and if those sites have game posts. The key is to get comments as the game happens.

I've seen meltdowns for alot of colleges. It is also possible that the Oregon game metldowns arent as interesting as the others.

There is of course a slight tinge of SEC in there bc RBR loves poking other sec fans.

For all time greata though, no fan base compares to the UT fans at shaggybevo holy crap. Lords of the meltdown.

CufwhDIWEAAcRVF.jpg:large

Fox Sports drinking the purple kool aid

cdyhybrid

I buy it. And I was skeptical as hell prior to the beginning of the season.

Their schedule is cake until the Apple Cup.
@Utah will be tough.

Not going to take anyone in this conference lightly though. UW is the best team in the conference but overlooking someone will get you beat.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
@Utah will be tough.

Not going to take anyone in this conference lightly though. UW is the best team in the conference but overlooking someone will get you beat.

True, just look what happened to Rutgers. :)

On a serious note, Washington looks really damn good, but they get left out of the playoffs if everyone else has 1 loss and they do too

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
True, just look what happened to Rutgers. :)

On a serious note, Washington looks really damn good, but they get left out of the playoffs if everyone else has 1 loss and they do too

I dunno about that anymore.

It'll be all on style points. Big XII is shitty. Washington passing eyeball test. I think one-loss Washington gets in ahead of one-loss Baylor or WVU.

ACC, B1G, SEC 1-loss teams would be the first 3 in though

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Based on this document Iowa released, full-share B1G schools are expecting a nearly 44 million dollar distribution from the conference next year under the new TV deal.

Cugvv9cVUAA4QGo.jpg

To put it in a bit of context, Nebraska got 12 million in 2011-2012 - it's first year in the B1G under it's buy in. It's get 22 million this year. So it'll be doubling it's money next year.

Iowa and other full-member B1G schools are seeing a nearly 10 million dollar increase (30%) next year.

cdyhybrid

Based on this document Iowa released, full-share B1G schools are expecting a nearly 44 million dollar distribution from the conference next year under the new TV deal.

Cugvv9cVUAA4QGo.jpg

To put it in a bit of context, Nebraska got 12 million in 2011-2012 - it's first year in the B1G under it's buy in. It's get 22 million this year. So it'll be doubling it's money next year.

Iowa and other full-member B1G schools are seeing a nearly 10 million dollar increase (30%) next year.
Get your shit together, Larry.

I'm fine with that. We aren't going to fire Strong mid season because there's no one competent enough on staff right now to do any better. Lets let the season play out without the distraction of donors and see where we end up. The big 12 is a dumpster fire so winning 6 of the last 7 games and finishing 8-4 isn't out of the realm of possibility. An 8-4 finish could get donors back on his side but anything less then he may have a rough Christmas.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I dunno about that anymore.

It'll be all on style points. Big XII is shitty. Washington passing eyeball test. I think one-loss Washington gets in ahead of one-loss Baylor or WVU.

ACC, B1G, SEC 1-loss teams would be the first 3 in though

I was thinking if everyone has one loss, they would probably go after one-loss conference champions from SEC, B1G, and ACC in that order, and then one-loss non-champion from B1G, SEC, AND ACC, in that order,before a one-loss Baylor or WVU, or a one-loss Washington. Just ny opinion, but Michigan, Ohio St, Louisville, Alabama, Tennessee, or Texas A&M would have a better loss thsn Washington's potential loss to Utah, Wazzu, or worse.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I was thinking if everyone has one loss, they would probably go after one-loss conference champions from SEC, B1G, and ACC in that order, and then one-loss non-champion from B1G, SEC, AND ACC, in that order,before a one-loss Baylor or WVU, or a one-loss Washington. Just ny opinion, but Michigan, Ohio St, Louisville, Alabama, Tennessee, or Texas A&M would have a better loss thsn Washington's potential loss to Utah, Wazzu, or worse.

no way, the Conference Championship factor will weigh higher than any one-loss non conference champion.

A 1-loss Pac-12 Champion Washington is in the playoffs certainly as long as it's not trying to overcome an unbeaten Big XII Champ

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
no way, the Conference Championship factor will weigh higher than any one-loss non conference champion.

A 1-loss Pac-12 Champion Washington is in the playoffs certainly as long as it's not trying to overcome an unbeaten Big XII Champ

You may be right, but the hype machine could propel the aforementioned teams into the game instead of UW. Most likely of which would be Alabama, OSU, and Michigan. West Coast football doesn't get enough eyeballs in many aspects, which is why Washington continues to get little love while admittedly average teams like Nebraska are ranked relatively high with less.

ryseing

@Utah will be tough.

Utah is apparently down to their sixth string RB. Injuries have hit them hard. I'd say they would give y'all a game if it wasn't for that fact.

You're right though. Champions don't lose the dumb game on the road against a team hungry for an upset.

I'm fine with that. We aren't going to fire Strong mid season because there's no one competent enough on staff right now to do any better. Lets let the season play out without the distraction of donors and see where we end up. The big 12 is a dumpster fire so winning 6 of the last 7 games and finishing 8-4 isn't out of the realm of possibility. An 8-4 finish could get donors back on his side but anything less then he may have a rough Christmas.

If Iowa State shuts y'all out again he isn't leaving the stadium job intact.

Slo

How come no one is talking about this weekend's showdown between Illinois and Rutgers?

Somethin's gotta give!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Still not Michigan's "Buy two 2-Liters of Coke, get tickets to the game" level of desperation.

You know when you have to do anything and everything to keep a streak alive, it kind of loses its meaning.

Karl2177

I'll have next week's pick 'ems up tomorrow. It looked like there's only a handful of competitive games this weekend. ACC as a conference gets the turd of the week from me.

Anyways here's last week's results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fJCmuv7eEPjEvXg_U-B5o9I899xkAzpHMKgsmVAq4mQ/edit?usp=sharing

Code:
Week 6	Total	Username
5	39	Affeinvasion
5	43	ag
5	33	AlteredBeast
0	37	andycapps
0	29	Battlezone
0	30	BertramCooper
6	38	bpfd
3	41	BTM
6	37	Bucknuticus
2	33	cashman
5	38	Chicko1983
0	6	Chris R
6	36	Deacon
5	5	DorkLord54
5	39	Dsyndrome
9	42	ErnieMcCracken
4	41	felixorion
0	7	fgfdgdfg
5	43	FloydtheFathead
0	8	Frank Beamer
3	26	Frustrated_Grunt
5	35	Ganhyun
0	10	Garryk
0	33	GoldenEye 007
0	28	Googly Eyes Dog
0	14	GreenyMac
0	9	HeySeuss
0	16	Jerm411
6	45	jfkgoblue
0	8	Jhriad
7	49	jstevenson
4	40	Karl2177
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	25	KingBrave1
0	4	LionPride
0	30	Lizardking
5	40	Lonestar
4	40	Mac the KNife
5	22	Monroeski
0	8	mre
7	46	MrJames
0	12	nobuyuki
4	34	OceanicAir
6	35	perfectchaos007
5	31	Quake1028
3	36	ryseing
6	48	sf2fanatic
0	13	Stooge
4	37	Subitai
0	23	Surge
4	36	Tebunker
0	5	tetromibi
7	38	TheLetdown
0	31	timetokill
0	4	Titanoboa
6	33	truly101
0	8	whytemyke
4	32	xeris
7	44	Yaboosh
8	44	zyxwvu4321

Code:
Week 6	Total	Username
7	49	jstevenson
6	48	sf2fanatic
7	46	MrJames
6	45	jfkgoblue
7	44	Yaboosh
8	44	zyxwvu4321
5	43	ag
5	43	FloydtheFathead
9	42	ErnieMcCracken
3	41	BTM
4	41	felixorion
4	40	Karl2177
5	40	Lonestar
4	40	Mac the KNife
5	39	Affeinvasion
5	39	Dsyndrome
6	38	bpfd
5	38	Chicko1983
7	38	TheLetdown
0	37	andycapps
6	37	Bucknuticus
4	37	Subitai
6	36	Deacon
3	36	ryseing
4	36	Tebunker
5	35	Ganhyun
6	35	perfectchaos007
4	34	OceanicAir
5	33	AlteredBeast
2	33	cashman
0	33	GoldenEye 007
6	33	truly101
4	32	xeris
5	31	Quake1028
0	31	timetokill
0	30	BertramCooper
0	30	Lizardking
0	29	Battlezone
0	28	Googly Eyes Dog
3	26	Frustrated_Grunt
0	25	KingBrave1
0	23	Surge
5	22	Monroeski
0	16	Jerm411
0	14	GreenyMac
0	13	Stooge
0	12	nobuyuki
0	10	Garryk
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	HeySeuss
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	8	Frank Beamer
0	8	Jhriad
0	8	mre
0	8	whytemyke
0	7	fgfdgdfg
0	6	Chris R
5	5	DorkLord54
0	5	tetromibi
0	4	LionPride
0	4	Titanoboa

AntoneM

ASU coach Todd Graham saying Manny Wilkins will be practicing Thursday and likely play this Saturday on the road in Colorado. While it would be great to get our starting QB back after he was out against UCLA (btw, our second string QB was knocked out for the season in that game with a foot injury). I would rather not risk Wilkins' high ankle sprain as those have a tendency to not heal quickly. I would rather sink or swim with our 3rd string true freshman. We already burned his redshirt against UCLA.

All three were 4 star recruits along with a 4th QB who was also a 4 star but had a season ending injury in fall practices.

andycapps

As much as I make fun of Tebow and think he can be annoying to listen to, he's a pretty nice dude. And this is just a funny story

My only regret is that this Georgia fan didn't talk about running the damn ball.

Tebow’s afternoon took an intense turn after the game when a man standing in a crush of fans seeking autographs along the third-base line collapsed and appeared to have a seizure. Tebow stopped signing and cautiously made his way over to where people had gathered. He sat on the concrete retaining wall that separates the field from the first row of seats and prayed silently as a medic in a Bryce Harper T-shirt and a Detroit Tigers baseball cap tended to the man.

As the man was slowly coming to, Tebow leaned over and placed his right hand on the man’s left knee while Daniel Kelly, a former Jets scout who left football to become a debt counselor and minister, prayed out loud. Kelly, who was wearing a Mets Tebow jersey, attended the game with his wife, Samantha, to celebrate his 43rd birthday, and had been seated next to the fan who collapsed.

As the man regained his bearings, Tebow engaged him in conversation while waiting for paramedics from the Phoenix Fire Department to arrive. The man had dropped a baseball as he collapsed and it was near the crook of his arm as he lay on his right side with his head resting on a black backpack. Tebow leaned over, picked up the ball and signed it. He returned it to him saying, “I signed it for you if you want it.” He also took off the gray sweat bands that he had on each wrist, signed them and gave them to the man.

Tebow asked him where he was from (Hayesville, N.C.) and found out they had a friend in common whom Tebow described as “a really nice kid.” He asked the man, who said his first name was Brendan, if he was a Batman fan. When he answered in the affirmative, Tebow asked him if he had seen the latest Batman movie (he had) and what he thought of the ending. He found out that the man worked at Amazon. “Nice,” Tebow replied. “They’re taking over!” The man also volunteered that he learned this year that he had a brain tumor. “I’ll be praying for you, O.K.,” Tebow said. “By name.”

He sat talking with the man for roughly 15 minutes. “Sorry this happened,” the man said. “Glad I got the chance to meet you,” Tebow replied.

The man, aware that Tebow works as a college football analyst, shifted the conversation to that topic. Tebow asked for his favorite college team and he replied, “Bulldogs.” Raising his voice in mock anger, Tebow said: “Are you kidding me? I don’t know how to respond to that.” He listened intently as the man told him about a major recruit on Georgia’s radar.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is this confirmed or speculation?

I don't know if it was 100% confirmed or not but lacking academics are a big roadblock for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to get into the B1G. Same reason why Texas had what was called the "(Texas) Tech problem."

Every B1G school but one is in the AAU, and that one (Nebraska) was AAU when they were admitted. Texas is the only one of those 4 Big XII schools that's AAU and the others aren't particularly close.

Oklahoma potentially brings enough money for the conference to bend the rules for them a bit if they want to. It will be a lot tougher for Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to get the rules bent enough to get in with their in-state partners. Last go-round they were pretty solid as package deals but who knows for the future.

I don't know if cheeto mention this but hearing from local sports Rosen may not start UCLA's next game. RIP our bowl chances. UCLA's only chance left to be mention in the bowl threads is me winning pickems

It sure feels like every time we go to camp randle were looking at a MNC and undefeated, and thats because we are...

since 1992 every time, except for one season, we were unbeaten and in the top 10 in the polls heading into Wisconsin. The one outlier we only had 1 loss, but were still in the top 15.

This year is no different it seems, kinda crazy.

Top Bottom