• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to posts on TA, the IAP is a one-time purchase. So the Fun Club pack is essentially an ad remover and "doubler" (ie rarer cards)

Edit: Talking about Calculords

I got steamrolled by the tutorial in calculords.

Hardest game I've played in ages lol.

I didn't have any trouble on the tutorial or first level. It was the second level where the difficulty ramped up considerably for me. I got my ass whopped so badly. But after gaining a few more levels and tries I sussed it. The next level was also a big step up in difficulty again.

My best tactic seems to be just brute forcing a lane with lots of offense whilst a bit of defense in the other two lanes keeps them at bay while you hammer away on the offense.

It's really fun and addictive though. Currently level 14. Managed to get nearly 30k in combat points on one level thanks to overkill (basically once the opponents HP has drained and you still have left over attack that keeps going until all your lanes attack has finished, racking up points), plus a crap load of XP.

vUsVBQi.png

PittaGAF

I'm definitively addicted, almost obsessed, with Oquonie.

If you like being thrown in a alienish world, being totally lost like in Myst, having your senses distorted by multidimensional warp tunnels....buy without esitation.
As soon as you start to understand how this weird world is ruled, it really gets addicting and your brain will melt (mine surely is).

Now...how to access that last pillar....

Thanks for the Machinarium codes, I redeemed 6MXTXL9H6EYK

On a different note, I really dislike Another Case Solved (I loved Puzzlecraft and played it to death and beyond) and for the life of me I don't understand some of the positive comments I read here.

It has double currencies (money and premium candies) and all the usual horrible consequences (get a couple free candies every 12 hrs! Watch commercials and get one! Maybe get one during a case! Yay! And then even the first couple skill raising cost 25-50...), then you have timers disguised in the form of newspapers (you can farm easy cases only if you have newspapers, which replenish over time) or plain and simple (get an upgrade for the office and wait a couple hours for delivery, or speed up with premium), then you investigate your cases and on the board you have a limited number of moves, then you decide to use objects and you get a maximum number of objects, and obviously every cap can be raised if you pay...

This thing is a monstruosity, I wouldn't recommend it at all; I played it till somewhere in chapter 2 and then deleted it without any regret.

Anyone done the Lego level on Calculords? Wow that's tough, made more frustrating by the fact that level has crashed on me twice... last time I think I could have won it too :/

Edit: Beat it by the skin of my teeth :)

Another controller, Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i.

it's basically the same as the accessory maker's award-winning MLG Pro Circuit controller for Xbox 360. Swapping consoles for handhelds, Mad Catz has introduced a spring-loaded mount to cater for Apple's current iPhone range and any larger devices it may or may not decide to launch in the near future (cough, 5-inch iPhone, cough). The clip is fixed with a tiny screw, allowing iPad gamers to play wirelessly without fear of a giant clip obstructing their view.

When Mad Catz makes the Bluetooth-enabled gamepad available in early Spring, it'll come in black, white, blue, red, orange and will carry an $80 price-tag.

madcatz.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/23/mad-catz-ctrli-ios7-controller/

Price is still at least $30 too high, but this would work well for current and future iPhones, plus as a standalone controller for iPad, Mac and (hopefully) future Apple TV.

PittaGAF

Oquonie is so weird I'm not even sure I've completed it.
Anyway was pretty awesome...like a modern weird Myst.

If anyone is playing it and thinks he completed it properly...we need to talk (obviously way beyond the red pillars).

Oquonie is so weird I'm not even sure I've completed it.
Anyway was pretty awesome...like a modern weird Myst.

If anyone is playing it and thinks he completed it properly...we need to talk (obviously way beyond the red pillars).
So how exactly do the puzzles work? The art style looks wonderful and abstract but I can't get a sense of the gameplay from the trailer

On a different note, I really dislike Another Case Solved (I loved Puzzlecraft and played it to death and beyond) and for the life of me I don't understand some of the positive comments I read here.

It has double currencies (money and premium candies) and all the usual horrible consequences [...]
This thing is a monstruosity, I wouldn't recommend it at all; I played it till somewhere in chapter 2 and then deleted it without any regret.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Another game completely and utterly ruined by F2P bullshit. I even bought the newspaper thing because I thought it would allow me to actually play the game more, but in practice it doesn't help at all and now I deeply regret wasting that $2. Just horrible.

PittaGAF

So how exactly do the puzzles work? The art style looks wonderful and abstract but I can't get a sense of the gameplay from the trailer

Well, discovering how to interact with the alienish world is the main puzzle of the game (a bit like the uber puzzle in Riven, if it makes sense).
If you really want to know, read the spoiler...but it's a huge one, beware (sorry I can't find a better, less spoilerish way to explain the game).

You move between worlds from a central hub...each one accessed when you are in particular form.
To achieve said form, you must find 3 equal tokens, then you transform in a new being and can cross a special door to said world.
Every world is a little maze...meaning that there are several weird warps you must learn to properly travel.
Tokens are scattered among the worlds.
I'm not sure I completed the game, but at some point it becomes clear you have to find 5 red pillars to open a special door

I didn't like Hiversaries a lot (but I plan to re visit its world soon) but here is similar.
The trick, for me anyway, is that apparently my mind is much more versed in decrypting/travel iso maps, much more than 3D.
The charming graphics helped into making me play till it clicked (didn't happen in Hiversaries).

Anyway, devs are clearly mad.

EDIT: Some more infos you may be interested in.
Took me about half a afternoon to 'crack' the game, meaning to understand how the world was ruled (in comparison took me days in Myst and Riven).
Another 3 days to reach a point some people think it's the end.
I'm still not convinced it's the end because I unlocked cool things AFTER that point.

LevelNth

Banned
Do any of you guys have or know of somewhere a list of all current controller enabled games? That new Mad Catz one looks perfect, think I'll be biting on it.

Cth

FINALLY upgraded from iOS 5 to iOS 7..

So, any strong recommendations on iOS6/7 games? Already picked up Threes!

I'll go back and check the OPs for the last couple of threads, but wanted to see what I might have missed out on.

Thanks!

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this but 10000000 was updated so now it fills out the full screen on the iPhone 5. It looks like they changed the game to make it work, I think there are more puzzle columns/rows now, they didn't just put filler in where the black bars were. Haven't played the game in forever so I could be wrong, it just seems like there are more puzzle blocks there now.

Also buy this game if you haven't. It's great.

I decided to hold off buying an iOS controller until we hear more about the next apple tv, if that thing becomes an app running machine a controller would be sweet, but good news about the mad catz pad, cheaper prices finally.

It was talked about non-stop for weeks when it was first released, it's highly recommended. The (part) sequel is scheduled to be released in April (Battleheart Legacy).

Had no idea. I played it back when it came out and have just picked it back up again. Good stuff!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
New post:

Check out this game, Perloo, https://itunes.apple.com/app/perloo/id791331531

It's a puzzle game. It's free until February 27th.

This is the launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MwB4VgiHlY

Perloo is a geometric fairy tale. Abandon your assumptions, solve a series of mind-bending challenges and find your way to the true world.

■ PERLOO IS FREE UNTIL FEBRUARY 27! ■

Perloo is a compact one-of-a-kind puzzle adventure that challenges you to think outside of your comfort zone. See how the real world influences the virtual one – and vice versa. Perloo plays with physics, quantum mechanics, philosophy, optics and perception to create a world with rules of its own.

Perloo is a ludic experiment, perhaps even a philosophical proposition. But most of all, Perloo is an excruciatingly hard puzzle game. You might cry.

‣ Nine mind-bending puzzles that will leave you pulling your hair out
‣ Never know what’s next with challenges that force you to think outside the black (or white, or champagne) box
‣ Automatically saves your game for the illusion of progress
‣ Original soundtrack by Ella Empress and the Layers of Reality
‣ Supported by philosophers
Beard.

PittaGAF

New post:

Check out this game, Perloo

Beard.

Cool, thanks!
Downloading it right now.

On a side note, somehow, Oquonie made me reinstall Hiversaries...now I cracked the first doors and I'm addicted all over again.
Shame on me for neglecting these titles.

Sigh.
Another sleepless night awaits.

another case...
it's just another iap milker..
the iap wall is TOO steep for it to be any decent :)

is it? Where?

Besides skills I don't really see a need for candy, unless it gets REAL hard to 3 star later.

but even then its not hard to get 5 candy for more turns from the 12 hour free candies.

But then im doing at most 1-2 cases a day, so maybe thats the right pace.

is it? Where?

Besides skills I don't really see a need for candy, unless it gets REAL hard to 3 star later.

but even then its not hard to get 5 candy for more turns from the 12 hour free candies.

But then im doing at most 1-2 cases a day, so maybe thats the right pace.

i aim for 3 star straight..
my puzzle skills are NOT lacking by any means..
plain and simple you're usually given screwed board for your matching requirement :)

i aim for 3 star straight..
my puzzle skills are NOT lacking by any means..
plain and simple you're usually given screwed board for your matching requirement :)
You definitely have to utilize skills and items, but yeah really wish you can see further ahead. Getting them rages when you clean a specific set and it's a requirement right afterwards.

PittaGAF

Thanks for the early impressions, Pitta. Internet is spotty where I am right now but I'll grab it when I get back home.

To be fair I didn't enjoy Hiversaires much when I first tried it either, but I went back to it after a while with a different mindset and it eventually clicked. Aside from a specific puzzle (the
penultimate door
) it follows a certain logic that's rewarding after you "get it". Sounds like Oquonie follows a similar development, but with the different presentation making it less obtuse.

You weren't joking.
Finally cracked Hiversaries too and I'm enjoying it A TON.
That blue alien thing scared the hell out of me last night.

I'm glad the charming confort of iso graphics of Oquonie made me replay Hiversaries too.
AWESOME, really AWESOME.

Perfect games for iPhone too, control wise.

heringer

Autumn Dynasty Warlords comes out tonight and it looks FANTASTIC.

The developer describes it as "Total War meets Romance of the Three Kingdoms (big fan here) meets Autumn Dynasty RTS battles is how I describe warlords myself."

Here's the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i5Fdg96hECU

And an introductory tutorial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9MNHG5jWhk

It will cost $6.99, no IAP shenanigans. The first Autumn Dynast is great too and it's free at the moment.

Also, buy Bug Heroes 2 dammit.

Is now a good time to pick up an iPod Touch?
I don't have a smartphone and I'd prefer to not get one anytime soon (at&t with billing and ridiculous prices) so figure iPod Touch is the best choice.

Its at least as good as an iPhone 5 (power wise) right?

Anyone done the Lego level on Calculords? Wow that's tough, made more frustrating by the fact that level has crashed on me twice... last time I think I could have won it too :/

Edit: Beat it by the skin of my teeth :)

I apparently have no idea how to fight that guy, every round he deals a card that wipes out my deck ("remove all attack cards" etc) and I apparently haven't learned how to counter that yet? I mean even if my math is perfect I can't deploy enough units to block all three lanes.

oipic

Some Machinarium codes up for grabs! (NA store only) Quote to reveal -- just post to let people know which one you took

Thank you very much for this, Clunker! Very pleasantly surprised to find that the first one listed (AL99MT9TXX9T) was still available. Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom