• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle 2 |OT| All Hail the Gooch

Baliis

EDIT #2:

Also, I've actually been wondering something, for folks who know the mechanics better than I: how precisely did bonus skill chance work in TB1, and presumably in TB2? Is it just a flat bonus, i.e. 50% base chance + 50% bonus chance = 100%, or is it a bonus percentage of the base chance (I.E., 50% base chance + 50% bonus chance = 50 x 1.5 = 75%)?

Skill Boost you mean? It's additive, so 50% SB + 50% base chance = 100% chance to activate.

So is equipment only usable by characters and not guardians? It’s kinda weird how this all works, characters in general seem very weak compared to guardians. Like all the ones I’ve gotten so far are E, so here I’m giving a Z weapon to an E character, feels stupid.

It’s possible I’m just doing something wrong though

Amirnol

Ugh I'm still mad that the fact that if you're not on a wifi the game is literally impossible to play. Infinite loading upon loading, neverending black screens.
Why can't I just pay for a version that I can play offline? These always-online games are driving me nuts.

Baliis

So is equipment only usable by characters and not guardians? It’s kinda weird how this all works, characters in general seem very weak compared to guardians. Like all the ones I’ve gotten so far are E, so here I’m giving a Z weapon to an E character, feels stupid.

Think of Characters more as plot devices, with Guardians selecting your skill, Equipment determining your stats. Idk what you you mean by E characters, I don't think they have a rank at all.

Kitoro

The more I hear about and notice while playing, the more this reminds me of the mobile game version of the disaster that was the Final Fantasy XIV launch. Both games didn't even have the item sorting function available at launch, among other UI and QoL blunders. And then we've got all the glitches and emergency maintenance. Good times.

chrono01

Basically:

Character is your character, your avatar for the adventure.

Guardian are your skills, the abilities you use in battle.

Equipment are what gives you your stats, as well as extending the range on your skills.

Think of Characters more as plot devices, with Guardians selecting your skill, Equipment determining your stats. Idk what you you mean by E characters, I don't think they have a rank at all.

Look on the 3rd tab (setup). It shows ranks for the characters. Also the equipment page shows who can equip each gear, and it seems to be tied to characters, not guardians

Edit: also how come I can’t use all characters? The yellow guy, for example, it won’t even let me put him in a party

Baliis

Look on the 3rd tab (setup). It shows ranks for the characters. Also the equipment page shows who can equip each gear, and it seems to be tied to characters, not guardians

Edit: also how come I can't use all characters? The yellow guy, for example, it won't even let me put him in a party

You sure you aren't mixing it up with the E for equipped? That just means you have them set in the party.

The yellow/blue guys are your friend units that you have to equip from the Friends menu on the World tab. Thats the unit that other people will see to pick from.

Skill Boost you mean? It's additive, so 50% SB + 50% base chance = 100% chance to activate.

So literally everything can become 100% activation.

Well, that makes Leviathan completely crazy then. I thought that was the case on watching him and how often I was getting Maelstrom with even 15% boost, but I wasn't sure.

Still, good to know. Means Revol will be really good with more boost too.

So is equipment only usable by characters and not guardians? It's kinda weird how this all works, characters in general seem very weak compared to guardians. Like all the ones I've gotten so far are E, so here I'm giving a Z weapon to an E character, feels stupid.

It's possible I'm just doing something wrong though

Equipment is only put on characters; everything goes on characters, characters do not have ranks. I keep bringing up Persona because that's the obvious analogy, just without the characters themselves having levels - everything about a TB2 character, aside from their equipment selection, is actually determined by their guardian and their equipment of the moment.

Why can't I just pay for a version that I can play offline? These always-online games are driving me nuts.

Real answer: because "being online" in the game's country of origin is a complete non-issue 99.5% of the time. There's a reason Japan's gone in so hard on phone games. It speaks to the pathetic state of America's internet infrastructure that it's even a consideration for us.

Relatedly,

Ugh I'm still mad that the fact that if you're not on a wifi the game is literally impossible to play. Infinite loading upon loading, neverending black screens.

I've taken the game out into the wild and played even co-op just fine. This was, however, in Portland, Oregon's nearby suburbs, where 4G reception is excellent.

The more a hear about and notice while playing, the more this reminds me of the mobile game version of the disaster that was the Final Fantasy XIV launch. Both games didn't even have the item sorting function available at launch, among other UI and QoL blunders. And then we've got all the glitches and emergency maintenance. Good times.

Nah, this is infinitely more playable than FFXIV 1.0 was at launch. It has a bunch of weird UI issues, but everything at least works.

Sheeeeiiiiiit, y'all haven't even seen the SiNoAlice launch. Really, most of this is tame in comparison to truly messy launches.

Honestly, TB1 has power crept to such a massive degree that I honestly don't think it's fun to jump into now. Hell, I can't even play it with a seasoned roster just because of how much grind and bullshit ^ encodes they added.

I'm going to be really curious to see how TB2 handles this, because yeah, another thing that keeps me from doing too much with TB1 again is just how hard the power crept up. Z rating is a thing that TB1 introduced, mind - it used to cap out at SS. And are we even going to get Delta Guardians, like the Delta characters in TB1?

Baliis

Well, that makes Leviathan completely crazy then. I thought that was the case on watching him and how often I was getting Maelstrom with even 15% boost, but I wasn't sure.

I'm going to be really curious to see how TB2 handles this, because yeah, another thing that keeps me from doing too much with TB1 again is just how hard the power crept up. Z rating is a thing that TB1 introduced, mind - it used to cap out at SS. And are we even going to get Delta Guardians, like the Delta characters in TB1?

How many times have you gotten Leviathan out of curiosity. I've done like 7 or 8 kills on normal so far with no drop.

Technically, you already have them with the RNA/DNA recodes, thats what most of the ^'s were in TB1 anyways. There was a lot of power creep in TB1, but you could go a long way with just the DPS trinity (A/B units), Palpa (B unit iirc), and a healer (Which the game gave out for free). A character with levitate was pretty GG though for a lot of fights since you could just ignore anything on the floor.

Equipment is only put on characters; everything goes on characters, characters do not have ranks. I keep bringing up Persona because that's the obvious analogy, just without the characters themselves having levels - everything about a TB2 character, aside from their equipment selection, is actually determined by their guardian and their equipment of the moment.?

Ok I suppose that makes sense. So let's say I a weapon that is heavy on attack, and can only be equipped by certain characters. Does that imply that I should give that character a guardian whose skills are physical?

Falk

that puzzling face
Can confirm, in terms of launch connectivity this is pretty mild by mobile game standards, let alone non-mobile.

(Remember Diablo 3, lol)

Kitoro

Sure, it's not as rough a launch as other games, but I liken this to FFXIV because it's a sequel to a game that had these UI features intact at launch. There's no reason a sequel should come out the gate worse off than its predecessor in so many ways.

Sure, it's not as rough a launch as other games, but I like this to FFXIV because it's a sequel to a game that had these UI features intact at launch. There's no reason a sequel should come out the gate worse off than its predecessor in so many ways.

To be fair, it seems like people say the exact same thing about almost every sequel.

chrono01

Looking at what benefits equipment give you, I'm kind of having regrets linking my account to one with a Z Guardian instead of weapon. Unless they make it easier to get equipment in the future (via events or guaranteed gacha), I'm going to feel severely under-powered compared to everyone else with better weapons.

Going into this, I never thought that equipment would be more important than the Guardians themselves. It seems kind of backwards, considering the Guardians are what you see in battle. It makes me wonder how they're going to get money out of people once players get a stable set of equipment, unless they make content specifically-tailored to needing particular abilities to beat, in which case that's going to be frustrating for a lot of people.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally managed to down Leviathan Normal. Really grinded the hell out of Metal zones though.

So is this only available in Japan and US? Im in UK and says its not available here?

EU/UK is Coming Soon. Please stay tuned.

Going into this, I never thought that equipment would be more important than the Guardians themselves. It seems kind of backwards, considering the Guardians are what you see in battle. It makes me wonder how they're going to get money out of people once players get a stable set of equipment, unless they make content specifically-tailored to needing particular abilities to beat, in which case that's going to be frustrating for a lot of people.

Well, at least from what I understand, the later parts of TB1 did start to rely pretty heavily on roster depth and being able to respond to gimmicks (see: that comment about Levitate, a section of which I did get to) and it could get pretty frustrating. I'll be curious to see how TB2 handles it, especially with the ability to hot-swap Guardians mid-map. There are some TB1-like situations like the Leviathan fight but in the story maps you'll be able to swap Guardians after every single fight if you feel the need.

I wasn't quite expecting the gear to be such a power spike myself, and I'll be interested to see how they handle it. The B-rank gear is pretty meh (though the chestpieces at least get the job done), but honestly Leviathan dropping A gear strikes me as a good sign. I'm already seeing performance increases from getting some of those helms on my guys who weren't fortunate enough to be wearing that SS head I got. And I've rolls some A and S weapons at this point, and the performance delta between the two doesn't seem too extreme (although they blow B weapons away, and kind of showcase how weak the freebie character weapons are in even the short term).

If nothing else, outside of crazy shit like doing Hard Leviathan in the game's opening week it doesn't seem like SS-Z weapons are going to be that necessary for content; the current co-op is easy with just a Levi, Sam, and some decent weapons, never mind Orbking shenanigans, and the synced chapters aren't terribly difficult if you know what you're doing and keep the stats fairly low regardless. So I'm not worried just yet, especially since the game lacks a competitive element (outside of chasing top co-op rank) but we might have to check back in on that question in 4-6 months.
emot-v.gif

How many times have you gotten Leviathan out of curiosity. I've done like 7 or 8 kills on normal so far with no drop.

I've gotten four Levis total so far, in... 12 runs, or thereabouts? This is on normal, ofc. The drop rate isn't fantastic but it could be worse. I really doubt I'll get him to 100% unless I whale out on stamina, but even at 40-50% he'd turn into a monster. Maelstrom is a good skill.

Man fuck this game, why do walls end your damn turn?

At this point I feel like I'm a bizzaro person who understood the map navigation from the start - the walls just don't give me trouble anymore. (Well, except for that goddamn treasure in that one corner of map 2 near the thin wall between two valleys. Y'all know what I mean.)

As some advice: don't go careening around willy-nilly. Have a stop point in mind, and don't be afraid to let go of the movement before the timer runs out. Also just spend a little time running around in either the early part of chapter 1 or the early part of chapter 3, getting used to how the movement works (I feel like the start of chapter 3 in particular is meant to give you another space to run around in a bit in an open area if you want).

Like, clearly a lot of people are having trouble with it, so I won't dismiss it, but somehow it just doesn't bug me as much. (What was less clear at first was that a certain kind of enemy in chapter 3 can break up the party too.)

Haly

How do you get better range on your weapons?

Level them. Some of them come with range, some don't, but you can't "preview" it. You just have to commit.

As for the basic equipment, they seems to be split into two types. Ones with range, and one that are just pure stats. Longsword is the only weapon that provides no range whatsoever. In the Un store you see their range at max level.

For what it's worth, I don't have a single A+ weapon that doesn't provide some form of range once I sunk enough levels into them.

How do you get better range on your weapons?

Not quite sure what you mean. You will always have to pincer enemies to attack; you will never get the ability to "distance pincer" or just use an attack alone like the enemies do. (I know the latter has been a complaint many have had about TB for a long time.)

If you mean unlocking AoE forms on a weapon, just level it. Either take it into a Metal Zone or stuff some Zappers into it. Keep leveling it and sooner or later it will gain an AoE modifier, and on unleashing it can even change to a different modifier.

There are a few weapons, like the Sun Blade, that don't have AoE modifiers at all, but these tend to have sky-high stats to compensate.

gaiadyne

Level them. Some of them come with range, some don't, but you can't "preview" it. You just have to commit.

As for the basic equipment, they seems to be split into two types. Ones with range, and one that are just pure stats. Longsword is the only weapon that provides no range whatsoever. In the Un store you see their range at max level.

For what it's worth, I don't have a single A+ weapon that doesn't provide some form of range once I sunk enough levels into them.

Didn't even know about the Un Store and I'm sitting on over 6000 coins. Is there any recommended item to buy from the store?

Haly

At the start I bought a lot of various things to test stuff out. My feelings afterwards.

1. Focus on the limited stock items (Gold Mighty and Pink Zapper) and maybe the Recode materials.
2. Pick up some accessories if you can use them but they're not significant
3. Fill in holes in your gear like the Hats
4. If you have coins to burn, upgrading an item with another item of identical name gives a massive boost, somewhere around 10x more exp than other B rank sources. It's equivalent to a high level Zapper so if you want to level a, say, Tonbo quickly it might be worthwhile to buy a few Tonbos.
5. The consumables can be ignored. I might buy some Re-act shoes in the future but currently they're all a waste of coin.

Haly

By the way I think I figured out what causes the "teleportation" in Raids. If two people try to end their turn on the same spot, both of them get pushed out. So, try to avoid stepping on people's toes.

Vena

At the start I bought a lot of various things to test stuff out. My feelings afterwards.

1. Focus on the limited stock items (Gold Mighty and Pink Zapper) and maybe the Recode materials.
2. Pick up some accessories if you can use them but they're not significant
3. Fill in holes in your gear like the Hats
4. If you have coins to burn, upgrading an item with another item of identical name gives a massive boost, somewhere around 10x more exp than other B rank sources. It's equivalent to a high level Zapper so if you want to level a, say, Tonbo quickly it might be worthwhile to buy a few Tonbos.
5. The consumables can be ignored. I might buy some Re-act shoes in the future but currently they're all a waste of coin.

Ya that was good advice on items. I made a quite square-dagger for one of my chars and maxed it quickly.

vareon

Managed to get to chapter 3. I'm very close to having my third roll but I'm afraid lol. Maybe I'll continue until I met the other party members in the map.

EU/UK is Coming Soon. Please stay tuned.

At this point I feel like I'm a bizzaro person who understood the map navigation from the start - the walls just don't give me trouble anymore. (Well, except for that goddamn treasure in that one corner of map 2 near the thin wall between two valleys. Y'all know what I mean.)

As some advice: don't go careening around willy-nilly. Have a stop point in mind, and don't be afraid to let go of the movement before the timer runs out. Also just spend a little time running around in either the early part of chapter 1 or the early part of chapter 3, getting used to how the movement works (I feel like the start of chapter 3 in particular is meant to give you another space to run around in a bit in an open area if you want).

Like, clearly a lot of people are having trouble with it, so I won't dismiss it, but somehow it just doesn't bug me as much. (What was less clear at first was that a certain kind of enemy in chapter 3 can break up the party too.)

Getting good at map navigation is simply not what people are looking forward to when they started the game--especially coming from TB1. If the best you can say is "it just doesn't bug me as much" then there's a fundamental problem with that.

Haly

So, for this and similar spawns:
The trick is to just drag one person all the way through the cliff before you run out of time. In order to drag one person at a time, tap the magnet icon on the upper right to break magnetism chains.

Tada, it makes sense now!

So, for this and similar spawns:

The trick is to just drag one person all the way through the cliff before you run out of time. In order to drag one person at a time, tap the magnet icon on the upper right to break magnetism chains.

Tada, it makes sense now!

Where is this? I cleared chapter 3 and haven’t found this spot

Also, what are these co-op medals for?

Rixa

Sure, it's not as rough a launch as other games, but I liken this to FFXIV because it's a sequel to a game that had these UI features intact at launch. There's no reason a sequel should come out the gate worse off than its predecessor in so many ways.

To be fair, it seems like people say the exact same thing about almost every sequel.

Oh look how great Playstation 4 was when it launched and had all the marvelous thing PS3 has.

Meanwhile Iam trying to get enough Nucleoids from Recode quest so that I get all the mats for reconding, then its only to get last levels and enough coins (24000) to purchase last things needed for recode. Too bad I don't have a clue should I DNA or RNA Elga.

Meanwhile Iam trying to get enough Nucleoids from Recode quest so that I get all the mats for reconding, then its only to get last levels and enough coins (24000) to purchase last things needed for recode. Too bad I don't have a clue should I DNA or RNA Elga.

Speed-run the chapter maps for nucleodes; they spawn even in non-synced maps. I got all the nucleodes and even the Un-Matter I needed for Revol RNA from chapter maps and it didn't even take all that long.

Rixa

Speed-run the chapter maps for nucleodes; they spawn even in non-synced maps. I got all the nucleodes and even the Un-Matter I needed for Revol RNA from chapter maps and it didn't even take all that long.

Oh by just clearing it as fast as possible?
Does it matter what chapter one uses?

Iam good with other stuff from Recode dungeon but only 7/10 Nucleiods from there and obviously those matters need to be bought.

Haly

1. Farm Raids. Gives you Mighty C (and they fixed that bug I think) and Zapper C. Although it says the hosting cost is 10 it's actually free. Here's a guide for it. https://terrabattleforum.com/threads/how-to-win-at-raids.13370/#post-168770

2. Farm King Orblings in chapter 2 beginning. King Orbling is a C rank Guardian but has a good skill set. Being farmable means you can max out his Skill Boost percentage and Luck percentage. Luck improves your chances of getting "lucky treasure", additional loot on top of normal drops, Skill Boost (SB) grants flat percentage to all skills. At level 60, King Orbling has a 5x5 heal at 30%. With maxed SB, it goes off every turn.

3. The Un Shop restocks weekly, it's a bit late for this but in the future you should clear out stuff you want. After maintenance we'll have a better idea of the kind of stuff on rotation.

Rixa

1. Farm Raids. Gives you Mighty C (and they fixed that bug I think) and Zapper C. Although it says the hosting cost is 10 it's actually free. Here's a guide for it.

2. Farm King Orblings in chapter 2 beginning. King Orbling is a C rank Guardian but has a good skill set. Being farmable means you can max out his Skill Boost percentage and Luck percentage. Luck improves your chances of getting "lucky treasure", additional loot on top of normal drops, Skill Boost (SB) grants flat percentage to all skills. At level 60, King Orbling has a 5x5 heal at 30%. With maxed SB, it goes off every turn.

3. The Un Shop restocks weekly, it's a bit late for this but in the future you should clear out stuff you want. After maintenance we'll have a better idea of the kind of stuff on rotation.

4. The Nucleoids (or what ever is their name) can be acquired from tresure spots (treasure points are purple after some clears). I was doing chapter 3 whilst manteinance came. Treasure spots also give other stuff and un coins.

I really hope they do something for that magnet thing. I was going for treasure spot and went down. 4/5 units came nicely and that 1 unit decided to meet wall, end turn.

linkent

Game need update..
Appstore have no update..
Cant go in.....

Just after i rerolled an account with Z Elga? Doesnt seem to good but too tired to do more reroll.
How hard is leviathan normal compared to easy?
Can it be carried with high level units like easy?
Been doing ez many times but doesnt seem to drop.

Rixa

Hey, it's 12 Free Energy! Let's pull.

Got my healer and another S class unit + A class weapons. I was looking for weapons and healer. Well stars were on my side \o/ \o/ \o/

I can bench Samatha if needed.

Rest pulls:

Weapon A Enhancer
B class guardian Kutah'von
Weapon A Kappa
B class guardian Ukai
Weapon A Orichalcum Spear
A class guardian Goku
S class guardian Shen
SS class guardian Haruhikari
B class guardian (forgot name)
A class weapon

We also got Mighty RNA as compensation too (x2)
One Mighty RNA gives 60000 xp to guardian

Falk

that puzzling face
Posted this on discord but might as well repeat here:

I think the game as it is, is pretty decent for a mobile gacha launch. What's crippling it (outside of connectivity) is expectations, especially those set by TB1, and a lack of clear explanation on how to get stronger, or in other words clear explanation of the character/guardian/equipment/trinket systems.

Do you run the chapters over and over again? Metals? Leviathans? Should you be focusing on levelling Guardians? Acquiring new ones? Equipment? Collecting recodes? What feeds into what?

It's a lot of trial-and-error and Q&A to make heads or tails of it, so a lot of people seem to be spinning wheels in the air not really progressing in power level and getting frustrated.

(last few pages of this thread alone is pretty much testament to that)

A better tutorial system (whether tied into the first three chapters or otherwise) seems sorely required if this is to have mass appeal. Majority of people don't go spelunking on forums or reddit, and that's the critical userbase you don't want leaving in a few weeks/months that renders the game an almost-ghost town with a small dedicated userbase.

I got an S wife and an SS shield with today's apology energy, so yay?

I think I'm going to have to take my screen protector off, I keep disconnecting during drags and it's driving me nuts (especially when using stamina).

forgrim

Out of curiosity, in normal TB, was it 5 energy per pull? Just trying to figure out if the campaign ending 9/27 is a lower energy campaign for pulls.

Top Bottom