• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Clive

Nex Machina and La Mulana EX, YEEEEEEES! Two of my most wanted titles! Super happy to be owning physical copies of both soon. LRG has a real killer line-up for me in the future, even more so now.

Happy about the Switch news too. Some games are just better on portables.

Nex Machina and La Mulana EX, YEEEEEEES! Two of my most wanted titles! Super happy to be owning physical copies of both soon. LRG has a real killer line-up for me in the future, even more so now.

Happy about the Switch news too. Some games are just better on portables.

Nuclear Throne on Switch would be so hype. I know it's supposed to be coming to Vita but it's taking forever!

Has there been any word about VA-11 Hall-A yet? The Japanese physical Vita release is out in less than a month and I'm currently not sure if I should grab that or hang on for LRG.

Olengie

Has there been any word about VA-11 Hall-A yet? The Japanese physical Vita release is out in less than a month and I'm currently not sure if I should grab that or hang on for LRG.

They're working on it?

I would've picked up the JPN release. But it doesn't have Eng subs.

1upsuper

They might include some of the extras but there's no way they'll translate the book (and M2 probably can't and won't translate it for them).

There will more than likely be an Asian disc release for Garegga, so if you simply want the game on a disc you won't necessarily need to deal with LRG.

Thanks for the info.

Shit, guess I have to get this. I'm already getting a physical copy of LM from the LM2 kickstarter but I can't resist one of the best games ever. Really hope my first LRG experience isn't a total disaster.

I feel the game's a tad overrated.

No.

Semoreh

Crawl : 3800 units
La Mulana : 4800 units
Nex Machina : 7500 units (4500 Standard and 3000 Collectors)

Shit, guess I have to get this. I'm already getting a physical copy of LM from the LM2 kickstarter but I can't resist one of the best games ever. Really hope my first LRG experience isn't a total disaster.

Didn't notice that physical tier. Damn, it's tempting but it's expensive, and PC (I think ?). I'll probably wait for the LRG take on La Mulana 2 but I hope we'll have manuals too. It seems almost mandatory for this kind of game :|

I also hope there will be a bundle on November 10th because I'm interested in all 3 games.
Didn't know Crawl but it has great reviews.

Tamanator

I think non region free consoles like the Wii U would've proved difficult for LRG in terms of their batching and having different listings etc

Not really, since they would have just had to handle the US. Fatal Frame got a full retail release in Europe, Japan and Australia. Sure there's people who want to collect every LRG release, but they could have just got a LRG US copy if they really needed it.

Ventara

That's a bit of a shame for such a high tier game like Nex Machina. I think it could move a lot more copies over time.

It may seem small, but this is their biggest single console release yet after Ys Origin for the PS4, and that one had unlimited open orders for a day.

Semoreh

It may seem small, but this is their biggest single console release yet after Ys Origin for the PS4, and that one had unlimited open orders for a day.

I prefered when they released around 7k standard units for big games (Shadow complex, Firewatch) than splitting this number between standard and CE though. Maybe that's just me

I prefered when they released around 7k standard units for big games (Shadow complex, Firewatch) than splitting this number between standard and CE though. Maybe that's just me

Yeah, one of the reasons why I find the print run quite low. On top of that they are doing 3 cover variants. A lot of people will double or even triple dip, so 7500 is not a very big number.

Ventara

Yeah, one of the reasons why I find the print run quite low. On top of that they are doing 3 cover variants. A lot of people will double or even triple dip, so 7500 is not a very big number.

That's certainly true. Collectors will definitely be picking up multiple copies this way. TBH, this is one of LRG's practices I don't like (multiple cover arts the require buying more than one copy).

The third cover variant is not included in the 7500 total and will be a PSX exclusive initially. As such, I think the number for essentially two variants (standard and CE) will be fine for a game without the following of a Ys or Wonder Boy.

Now that Mummy Demastered isnt getting a physical release from WayForward, will LRG look into it?

Has WayForward officially talked about this? I know a lot of people (including myself) were clamoring for a physical, but they never really talked about it. Would make an awesome LRG Switch release.

oldmario

Crawl : 3800 units
La Mulana : 4800 units
Nex Machina : 7500 units (4500 Standard and 3000 Collectors)

Didn't notice that physical tier. Damn, it's tempting but it's expensive, and PC (I think ?). I'll probably wait for the LRG take on La Mulana 2 but I hope we'll have manuals too. It seems almost mandatory for this kind of game :|

I also hope there will be a bundle on November 10th because I'm interested in all 3 games.
Didn't know Crawl but it has great reviews.

i just hope the covers aren't random or hard to get because i want that one with the skull on

LQX

It's time LRG starts showing what's actually included in these collectors editions right there on their site rather than just the box cover. Come on.

It's time LRG starts showing what's actually included in these collectors editions right there on their site rather than just the box cover. Come on.
If they did that, then you'd know you're getting worthless crap like this and never order a CE in the first place.

QoGzbgX.jpg

I took a gamble and learned my lesson the first and only time.

Never again!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ys had an art book (which looks like a glorified instruction manual) and a fold-up poster.

(Most artbooks look like this in LEs...) Seriously though, for most games, this is pretty much the standard... I see this complaint come up a lot, and a lot of people don't realize what the expectations vs reality is for them.

Saoshyant

I don't think the problem is the contents themeselves -- though in case of Ys, missing on a soundtrack in a series known for its music was a mistep. It's a big box with those two items thrown in hapzardly. It's not a good fit, literally, and looks rather unprofessional.

LRG

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the problem is the contents themeselves -- though in case of Ys, missing on a soundtrack in a series known for its music was a mistep. It's a big box with those two items thrown in hapzardly. It's not a good fit, literally, and looks rather unprofessional.

I agree with the exclusion of the soundtrack being disappointing, for sure. But the artbook comment I do comment on, because every LE topic I go into, someone is upset with how small the book is. I just don't know what people expect, because 14 times out of 15, it will be something small like that (whether hardbound or not, it's still usually small), with the rarity being something actually OVER 50 pages. I see people often laugh at "LOL 50 pg 'artbook'!" but it really IS that rare for a decent-sized one to be included in any LE. Trust me, I collect enough LEs to know :/ Sure it would be nice to get something bigger, but I know the reality of it on what to expect.

UltraBosh64

Neo Member
I agree with the exclusion of the soundtrack being disappointing, for sure. But the artbook comment I do comment on, because every LE topic I go into, someone is upset with how small the book is. I just don't know what people expect, because 14 times out of 15, it will be something small like that (whether hardbound or not, it's still usually small), with the rarity being something actually OVER 50 pages. I see people often laugh at "LOL 50 pg 'artbook'!" but it really IS that rare for a decent-sized one to be included in any LE. Trust me, I collect enough LEs to know :/ Sure it would be nice to get something bigger, but I know the reality of it on what to expect.

I second this statement. After buying several years worth of jrpg LE's/CE's the norm is small artbooks. The whole "well it's not hardback" argument is rather petty IMO. I've bought tons of LE's [particularly 3ds & vita ones] that include paperback artbooks of 30-50 pages, which is perfectly acceptable as long as the contents of the books are good [keep in mind here that most of these also include the "Atlus-tax" or are NISA-LE's, which invalidates basically any of the "well I paid a premium for this LE!"] It's not about the material it's made of; More important is the content inside the artbook [which in Ys Origin's defense is rather good].

I will on the negative side agree though that not having the OST bundled was a misstep for a game in a series which is well known for their soundtracks. I would've loved to have had that in the package. LRG [at least more in the beginning] always put out OST for sale for their games. Not sure what changed in the mindset there, but I feel like that would be something to maybe look back into for them.

(Most artbooks look like this in LEs...) Seriously though, for most games, this is pretty much the standard... I see this complaint come up a lot, and a lot of people don't realize what the expectations vs reality is for them.
Yeah, it was my first CE - and my last.

LRG will sell them all anyway, so it doesn't matter to their bottom line, but I'll be sticking with regular releases from now on.

I blame only myself, because I knew it was a gamble and I knew better, especially when LRG showed no pictures of what we'd actually be getting inside the package - a major red flag for this and all of their other CEs (and CEs in general, probably).

Theswweet

The first and still best LE I've ever bought is the one XSEED released for Ys: Memories of Celceta. Cheap, great inserts, etc. That 3CD soundtrack alone is ace.

cj_iwakura

LRG will sell them all anyway, so it doesn't matter to their bottom line, but I'll be sticking with regular releases from now on.

I blame only myself, because I knew it was a gamble and I knew better, especially when LRG showed no pictures of what we'd actually be getting inside the package - a major red flag for this and all of their other CEs (and CEs in general, probably).
To be fair, the Night Trap and Silver Case LEs clearly stated the contents on their site.

How about publishers would actually start calling it was it is: an art booklet. That would lower expectations and would generally be more honest. But they pretty much all insist on blowing pretty much anything out of proportion, even the small ones like LRG.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
(Time for a bunch of replies :x)

The Atlus USA release of Growlanser V came with a gorgeous artbook covering the entire series.

That's the 1/15 I mentioned, because it really is a rarity. But yes it was nice. I've seen that happen a lot too, where an artbook will be skipped for a few games, and then one will release it as a sort of 'history' to the series, which is nice to make up for it.

I second this statement. After buying several years worth of jrpg LE's/CE's the norm is small artbooks. The whole "well it's not hardback" argument is rather petty IMO. I've bought tons of LE's [particularly 3ds & vita ones] that include paperback artbooks of 30-50 pages, which is perfectly acceptable as long as the contents of the books are good [keep in mind here that most of these also include the "Atlus-tax" or are NISA-LE's, which invalidates basically any of the "well I paid a premium for this LE!"] It's not about the material it's made of; More important is the content inside the artbook [which in Ys Origin's defense is rather good].

Exactly. I've seen SO MANY people expecting a full $30ish artbook that Udon localizes. Not to say it doesn't happen, as I do have a few LEs with some VERY nice, large, meaty artbooks in them, but barely ever see those. Usually in $150-200 LEs. Buying an imported or one of the ones that Udon localizes are more worth it, if you really want an artbook.

I will on the negative side agree though that not having the OST bundled was a misstep for a game in a series which is well known for their soundtracks. I would've loved to have had that in the package. LRG [at least more in the beginning] always put out OST for sale for their games. Not sure what changed in the mindset there, but I feel like that would be something to maybe look back into for them.

I wonder if it was a contract thing or just became too expensive? XSEED had a great partnership with Falcom, and could do some good CDs, but then again, even things like Ys Seven was only able to have a condensed soundtrack.

Ok so you went in without expectations, but sometimes stock photos don't always work. Maybe they could've made a graphic showing the book, and it could've still been interpreted in being something bigger.

How about publishers would actually start calling it was it is: an art booklet. That would lower expectations and would generally be more honest. But they pretty much all insist on blowing pretty much anything out of proportion, even the small ones like LRG.

Hmmm this might work... but what about ones that are still small, but hardbound, like what IF and NISA put out? Would those still be "booklets" due to their size, or would the hardbound still differentiate themselves and make them "books"?

Top Bottom