• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Neff

so excited to ejaculate all my money at 3D Galaxy Force II next Thursday.

I'm looking forward to it immensely. I only have the Saturn version which, while good, really isn't up to scratch. The 3DS version looks perfect, though.

AmyS

After Burner, Out Run and Thunder Blade arcade though are likely. TB is not a brilliant game by Sega's standards, but it's fun enough, and the layered scaling is just begging to be shown off in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhRzhbXAPc

After Burner II and Out Run are probably still very likely, however they said they passed up on Thunder Blade for the first set, so now I really doubt it'll make the 2nd.

NH: Interesting that Sonic survived the cut then.

YO: Once we’d decided to restore SEGA titles with stereoscopic 3D, I actually wanted to do some home console games as well. So when M2 and the North American and European SEGA staff decided on the lineup of games for the 3D Remaster series, which included Space Harrier and Super Hang-on, and removed Thunder Blade (laughs), Sonic was one of the titles on the list.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/se...dgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/?6866309=1

That said, I totally agree with what you said about arcade Thunder Blade, that game is indeed just begging to be shown off in stereoscopic 3D.

Shadow Dancer.

Thank you! I used to play the hell out of this game, I'd love a handheld version of it.
Clearly I'm not up to scratch with my Shinobi knowledge. Is 3 generally considered the best one, which is why it was perhaps chosen?

I became a lifelong fan of M2 when playing their glorious PS3 port of Daytona USA. The subsequent PSN Sega games were all ported with obvious love as well. These 3DS games just cement their dedication to their art.

The only ports I played on the PS3 was the Backbone stuff. I still have nightmares about when I turned on the smoothing option for 30 seconds out of curiosity *shudder*
Definitely looking out for more M2 stuff now though, these ports are the best.

I've never played Thunder Blade but was surprised to learn a few years back they released a toy with the same name, a toy i had and loved as a kid! I actually made a site about the toyline here

gUIeiDyl.jpg

Shane

The analogue stick is better than the d-pad in Sonic. Kept dying with the d-pad as I'd over judge jumps.

The fall in 3D is such a neat and subtle use of the tech. Looks great.

And I also adore that touching lava isn't instant death in Sonic. Wish that'd kept as a design standard.

RobbieNick

Still not sure if I should buy Sonic.

If you have the Taxman version on Mobile, don't bother. The 3-D effects are nice,the quality of the port is very good and it includes the spindash, but do you really need another copy of Sonic 1? The only reason I bought it is because the port of Space Harrier 3D was so damn good.

I've never played Thunder Blade but was surprised to learn a few years back they released a toy with the same name, a toy i had and loved as a kid! I actually made a site about the toyline here

gUIeiDyl.jpg

Hey! Great work on that site! I actually had a couple of those when I was a kid (the bazooka!), I wanted all of them! I was about 9 or 10 at he time I think, and already was into videogames, especially arcades, and my little mind was blown when I saw a SEGA line of toys and always asked myself what connection they had with videogames. I still have no clue, btw :)

Jhn

Thank you! I used to play the hell out of this game, I'd love a handheld version of it.
Clearly I'm not up to scratch with my Shinobi knowledge. Is 3 generally considered the best one, which is why it was perhaps chosen?

I don't know about the public opinion, but Shinobi III is one of my favorite games of the era. I played the older ones as well, and for me, III is in a league of its own. Gameplay, music, everything was great.

Khaz

Dammit, I know Altered Beast isn't quite the best game ever and I have Sonic on probably every other support, but I'll still buy them both. I have to!

I'd say Shin Shinobi Den (Legions/X) on Saturn is at least on par with it, but I understand people not liking the digitised graphics and cheesy cutscenes.

What do they mean when they talk about the "rasterized parts of the game" (Sonic) in the interview with M2?

Yeah I hope people check out the 3D effects on the rasterized parts of the game. People who were really impressed with the raster scrolling effect back then would love it. For those who have played the MegaDrive release, it’s kind of like a treasure hunt trying to find spots that are different from the original

M3d10n

What do they mean when they talk about the "rasterized parts of the game" (Sonic) in the interview with M2?

They mean the raster effects, aka: effects that were done by shifting individual scanlines around, like the parallax perspective effect in the water in Green Hill Zone.

FSLink

Banned
As someone who isn't too familiar with the different versions of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, what's are the differences between the Japanese and International versions?

As someone who isn't too familiar with the different versions of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, what's are the differences between the Japanese and International versions?

Moving clouds in Green Hill Zone, and similar stuff like that. Japanese is better.

GuyKazama

Rad Mobile
Rail Chase
Power Drift

For fun, I'd love it if Sega could get Holosseum working.

gUIeiDyl.jpg

Great site! I forgot these were Sega. There's a bunch of Season 3 on eBay right now, but they're all crazy expensive.

Roto13

The only ports I played on the PS3 was the Backbone stuff. I still have nightmares about when I turned on the smoothing option for 30 seconds out of curiosity *shudder*
Definitely looking out for more M2 stuff now though, these ports are the best.

Backbone can go die in a fire. Desecrating classic games with their input lag and their blur filters and their unnecessary feature-removing menus and bullshit.

You should check out Capcom Arcade Cabinet if you like old Capcom arcade games. M2 did a great job on that.

Tizoc

What're you suggested video options for hang on and Sonic the Hedgehog?

Hang on was fun although this is the first time 3D mode has given me a bit of an eye issue haha.
I think I MIGHT get Space Harrier too down the line.

Playing a pixel prefect 3D Sonic The Hedgehog, my life feels complete :D

I haven't played this game since the 16 bit generation ended, and it's amazing how well I remember it; making blind jumps with absolute confidence and remembering where all the secret areas are.

Might be the best $6 I ever spent. This is nostalgia heaven.

PS. I think Spin Dash sucks, it doesn't belong in Sonic 1 and it's not even implemented properly. I'm turning it off.

Teknoman

If you have the Taxman version on Mobile, don't bother. The 3-D effects are nice,the quality of the port is very good and it includes the spindash, but do you really need another copy of Sonic 1? The only reason I bought it is because the port of Space Harrier 3D was so damn good.

Yeah I bought Space Harrier since I dont have that in any capacity (was going to buy the Saturn version...still might at some point) but the only version of Sonic 1 I still own is the Genesis cart.

Used to have Mega Collection and Ultimate Collection, but since I decided to go full on retro, gave the rest to friends. "Do I really need another Sonic 1" was my line of thinking too though lol.

Anyone know if they are they planning on doing interviews for all of the games? SoR is my favorite out of the first batch and I'd love to read about it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Anyone know if they are they planning on doing interviews for all of the games? SoR is my favorite out of the first batch and I'd love to read about it.

Given that we got one for Altered Beast, I'd assume we'd get one for Streets of Rage!

Cody_D165

Banned
I just picked up 3D Sonic.

Holy shit, M2 are gods of emulation. This is perfect. I've been playing with the 3D set to pop-out, looks a bit better to me. But I'm seriously impressed, the menu options they give you are ridiculous. What does model 1 vs model 2 Genesis emulation even change?!

I'm definitely on board the hype train for these now, definitely grabbing Ecco, Shinobi, and Streets of Rage at the very least.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played through Sonic (and even bothered to pick up the chaos emeralds for the first time ever). It's really a great port, it looks very, very nice. The 3D effect is rather subtle but still very effective, makes the game look quite a bit better.
And it reminded me of how much I hate Labyrinth Zone 3. Ugh.

Played a few minutes of Hang-On and Space Harrier, too. They both seemed pretty nice, but at least in Hang-On the 3D effect makes the other drivers kinda look more like they're floating over the track when they are in the distance, but I really didn't play long, maybe it justs takes some time to get used to.

Great job, M2, as always!

Roto13

I just proudly plunked down 6 bucks for a download of 3D Altered Beast. And I hate Altered Beast.

I will support these guys as much as I can. It's not often I see this kind of care and effort put into classic gaming.

Oh, yeah, and 3D Sonic is tits.

Roto13

Did anyone else run into a bug in the third boss of Altered Beast, where you beat the boss and the light appears but Neff's head doesn't, and you don't transform back into a human, and the game just stops? Was that in the original version, because I can't find any mention of it.
Oh, yeah, and 3D Sonic is tits.

Is it, SonicMegaDrive? Are you sure, SonicMegaDrive? Do you really think so, SonicMegaDrive?

Neff

I'd kill for Thunderblade.

But if we're gonna do some crazy portbegging then allow me to lay my dick on the table.

sXxWF.png

Still want a home version of this more than any one single game in Sega's catalogue.

Impossible? I don't care. I'll keep hoping.

Star Wars Racer Arcade while you're at it please, Sega.

Both on Wii U, pls.

Backbone can go die in a fire. Desecrating classic games with their input lag and their blur filters and their unnecessary feature-removing menus and bullshit.

You should check out Capcom Arcade Cabinet if you like old Capcom arcade games. M2 did a great job on that.

I was stunned when I tried their port of TMNT arcade on 360 (when they were calling themselves Digital Eclipse), and not in a good way. That amount of lag -a good five frames or so- in such a ruthless, high-pressure game just destroyed it, completely. And then I bought Gunstar Heroes with broken networking. And then I heard Space Harrier Helium Edition on the Sonic compilation...

To be fair, they've done some decent stuff, but it doesn't justify the horrific treatment they've showed to other games.

M2 really are the kings of this shit. Long live the king.

Storm360

Well, if you hate the 3DS then no 3D port of SoR is gonna make the system better. Save your money and get the M2 port on PS360.

Already got the SoR pack that's on Xbox Live, and SoR 2 on PSN, but I want something portable. it wouldn't be a problem if I had the XL really, but until there is an account system in place I'm reluctant to go digital, and I don't wanna carry carts with me etc, so not really worth the cost of upgrading when im not gonna be carrying it around with me

qq more

No buttons and d-pad makes it a curiosity. But in no way should it be included in any list. Good lord.

The port supports gamepad

there's also Nvidia Shield that is basically Android as a dedicated gaming handheld device which solves the problem perfectly.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I suck at Hang-On. I'm trying and trying and I still can't even beat the beginner course. I think I made it to about 5 seconds away from the goal, but that was the best I could ever do.
Still I'm really enjoying it, only ever played a few games of the Mega Drive version at a friend's house back in the day, so this is the first time I'm actually playing for a longer time.

bjork

I suck at Hang-On. I'm trying and trying and I still can't even beat the beginner course. I think I made it to about 5 seconds away from the goal, but that was the best I could ever do.
Still I'm really enjoying it, only ever played a few games of the Mega Drive version at a friend's house back in the day, so this is the first time I'm actually playing for a longer time.

Are you using the boost once your km/h turns red?

gngf123

As long as you boost (RB by default) and don't crash more than maybe once, you should be able to do it.

asa

I'm really digging 3D sonic here, only minor annoyances for me are the stupid aliasing on the screen edges in "classic" mode, they couldn't blur the edges of the virtual tv-screen a little bit? And the use of the second screen: bright splash screen is quite annoying when playing in dark, make an option to turn if off or at least render something else there. Other than that I love the port, stable framerate, solid controls, nice save options, 3d is nice(though i prefer the classic mode).

I need to buy Space Harrier after I finish sonic, that being said, i wouldn't mind more sega/nintendo classic being ported this way. Afterburner for instance!

I tweeted @okunari about including Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

He replied saying he loves the game, but it sounds like sales for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii ports were disappointing.

I thought I read somewhere that doing the Monster World series ports was a personal project of his (including doing the English release of Monster World IV). I hope they show up again for a portable console some day, it would be shame to effort put into the English versions of Monster Land and Monster World IV only get one chance in the world.

Top Bottom