• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested in NightCry (Project Scissors) if it had a physical release for vita. Usually I'm not willing to pay the tier for a physical release but if they did it for $25 after release I'd buy it.

Well, not physical it isn't, is why I asked. They sold a few boxes that had download codes inside, but not a physical game.

I'd be cool with like $100 price tag if you put that shit on a Vita game cart.
I have it as a physical cart on my vita.

I've just realised what I want.

Drift Stage for Vita. You should definitely contact those guys to see if you can make it happen.

Edit: Also, is Breach & Clear on the EU store? I can't find it. If so, I guess this is my only chance to get a copy for Vita!

Shizuka

Just you watch as these guys take off and other companies will try to get onboard doing limited print of games as well.

I've just realised what I want.

Drift Stage for Vita. You should definitely contact those guys to see if you can make it happen.

Edit: Also, is Breach & Clear on the EU store? I can't find it. If so, I guess this is my only chance to get a copy for Vita!

Nope, it's not available in EU. We had hopes to release it there and want to eventually but due to localization reasons and ratings costs, it's a little unfeasible at the moment. The physical version solves that dilemma, though, by giving people in other countries a chance to own and play the game. If it needed and confirmation, our releases are region free.

EDIT: Also, Drift Stage would be awesome. We backed them on Kickstarter - it looks so slick!

Just you watch as these guys take off and other companies will try to get onboard doing limited print of games as well.

Some other people are doing it but I think they're approaching it wrong. Ripstone, Maximum Games, Soedesco, and maybe some others. They're focused on retail, though, so they do huge print runs. They're also not able to pay developers much because A) the print runs are huge and B) retail means wholesalers, store operators, and many others need to get paid in the process. I can't imagine developers make much when they partner with these companies. Also, the games they produce don't seem to sell very well if the five thousand copies of "Stick It To The Man!" I've found in the wild are any indication. I think the only way to make this a viable business is to do small runs, direct to customers. People will definitely take note and rip us off if we're successful. In all honesty, I'm kind of ripping off Brian Provinciano and Vblank in the first place, just to give due credit. :)

But yeah, our goal is to make more physical games available to players and also make developers good money at the same time.

My dream list of Vita titles that I think the pubs/devs would realistically be receptive to:

nftfdDv.jpg

La Mulana EX

This is the definitive version of the game and @PygmyStudio_en / @NIGORO responded to fan requests to put the game on Vita in the first place. Plus they've got a sequel coming along. It would coincide with maintaining "brand awareness" and the sequel might end up on Vita too.

Soldner X-2: Final Prototype

@eastasiasoft already expressed interest in physical releases of their Rainbow Skies games, but Soldner X-2 is my jaaaaaaam, and I'd sell a toe for that.

Frozen Synapse Prime

@DoubleElevenLtd always supported the Vita, cut their teeth on it, and this game debuted on Vita. They were sincerely regretful that Nom Nom Galaxy couldn't make it to Vita, so I know they have love for the system. The original FS was a Steam indie, and Prime made it's way to Steam (free upgrade to existing owners), so @mode7games would probably be down.

Stealth Inc 1 & 2 (duo cart)

The dev @onebitbeyond is no longer @CurveDigital but they still do Vita titles, were fully supporting the platform in it's first years, and seemed receptive by favoriting a tweet about it.

TxK

@llamasoft_ox is that chill sage, and this game deserves to be preserved in physical form against all odds.

Velocity Ultra & 2x (duo cart)

Classics, came up on Vita and @FuturLab has already expressed interest. FuturLab can always come back to the hood.

Broken Age

Grim Fandango Remastered

@DoubleFine and @TimOfLegend are a lofty realm, but still seem pretty down to earth. They enthusiastically supported the Vita and have previously expressed interest in doing a physical release if demand was high enough. With LimitedRunGames, the demand doesn't have to be major league.

OlliOlli & OlliOlli 2 (duo cart)

The first game premiered on Vita, the sequel was still day 1 for PS4/Vita as crossbuy and a PS+ title... @Roll_7 has roots on Vita, and like anyone who had a title on PS+, I'm sure they wouldn't mind legit selling some copies at physical prices.

Physical copies for collectors is the opposite of devaluation. There are other games from other devs I'd love to pick up physical, but I'm not sure of their disposition or how free they are to do it.

We want to make it as fair as possible. We will have restrictions in place so that everyone has a chance to get one. Future games may have larger print runs. :)
Oh lord, multi-game covers are atrocious. We won't be doing any of that. We want an end product that is appealing for collectors in every way.
As someone vehemently devoted to physical copies, I really like what I'm hearing about Limited Run Games and I wish the company the absolute best in their pursuit to land terrific digital titles on the shelves of collectors! I wanted to ask a question and I apologize if this has been answered previously regarding multi-platform projects. Will they see small prints across different platforms over time, like Retro City Rampage, or could certain projects find themselves restricted exclusively to one console?

Wishlist (asterisks signifies upcoming titles):
-- Allison Road* (PS4)
-- Axiom Verge (PS4/Vita)
-- Double Fine Productions: Grim Fandango Remastered & Day of the Tentacle* (PS4/Vita)
-- Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey (PS4)
-- Everybody's Gone to Rapture (PS4)
-- Fez (PS4/Vita)
-- Hotline Miami Collection (PS4/Vita)
-- Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PS4/Vita)
-- SOMA (PS4)
-- Supergiant Games: Bastion & Transistor (PS4)
-- VA-11 HALLA* (Vita)

If you're somehow able to publish heavy-hitters on other platforms, like the aforementioned Yakuza 5 or Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, my mind would be blown but I understand you need to start small before going anywhere else! I'm just grateful for the fact we're getting Sony stuff which is undoubtedly better than nothing.

Green Card said:
I would be interested in NightCry (Project Scissors) if it had a physical release for vita. Usually I'm not willing to pay the tier for a physical release but if they did it for $25 after release I'd buy it.
Has Nude Maker commented on the state of the Vita version in light of PC being the lead platform? I'm a little concerned it'll look like the mobile variations which are notable gutted from their "big screen" counterpart.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My dream list of Vita titles that I think the pubs/devs would realistically be receptive to:

La Mulana EX

This is the definitive version of the game and @PygmyStudio_en / @NIGORO responded to fan requests to put the game on Vita in the first place. Plus they've got a sequel coming along, that's good continuation of brand awareness and it might end up on Vita too, not sure.

La Mulana EX would be incredible to see. Totally deserves it.

Personally... I've been trying, but can't think of a whole lot of Vita games I'd want to have physical copies of, mostly because indie games also tend to show up on PC and I'd rather play them there. Though I'd kill for a physical copy of stuff like Soul Sacrifice Delta or Oreshika.

La Mulana EX would be incredible to see. Totally deserves it.

Personally... I've been trying, but can't think of a whole lot of Vita games I'd want to have physical copies of, mostly because indie games also tend to show up on PC and I'd rather play them there. Though I'd kill for a physical copy of stuff like Soul Sacrifice Delta or Oreshika.

I'm the opposite 'cause I'd still rather play almost anything, especially indies, on Vita. I already own all these ones digitally and would just be double dipping for the love of the games and the collecting. Like Retro City Rampage, I can see these selling through despite availability on any other platforms.

Stuff like Soul Sacrifice Delta and Oreshika you can already get English physical copies of, you just either had to be vigilant and catch them when they were up for pre-order (like so with anything LimitedRunGames will probably make), or pony up on ebay for them when they show up.

I'd kill for Motorstorm RC and Super Stardust Delta... but games that tied up? I can't see big publishers and platform holders taking time and legalities out for it, or giving a sustainable cut. I'd liken it to trying to convince Square that Einhander should be on PSN in NA, or voting for Goku in Smash.

Anything these guys can pull off as they move forward, more power to 'em, though.

I wonder if TxK is even possible now what with all the Atari drama since it came out.

Besides it just being an amazing game, that whole thing is why I'm hoping something lowkey can immortalize it before it's set in stone. You can still find it on the store, at least, so the way might not be shut yet.

I hope it's still possible.

I am very hopeful that it will be.

See? This is why you guys got me feeling like:

Besides it just being an amazing game, that whole thing is why I'm hoping something lowkey can immortalize it before it's set in stone.

Yeah, the Atari lawsuit against Llamasoft was one of the many things that really propelled us to do this. We don't know Jeff Minter or anything, so don't take that as meaning anything deeper. It's just that if Atari is successful in their suit - TxK will be gone forever and that just doesn't sit right with me. At least in the days of physical publishing, games that were pulled from the market due to lawsuits still had a means to exist (Tengen's Tetris is a notable example - ironically, published by Atari).

More recently, and I don't think anyone here noticed this - Speakeasy was removed from the PS4 store due to a lawsuit. The game probably sold under 1,000 copies. Yes, it didn't review well so whether anyone wants to consider it a loss is up in the air but it's simply gone forever. If someone wanted to do a retrospective on the PS4 library and try out every title ever released - there's already one game that is lost forever! It was only on the market for a few months before being removed.

ScHlAuChi

This is an amazing idea and I hope it succeeds :)
Depending on the title, count me in as one of your future customers! :)

Just recently i bought River City Rampage Vita and preordered Shovel Knight PS4!

Maybe TxK might not be shackled down quite as hard as we think:

CQ6g7dEUwAAloxL.png

Once we've got some numbers from Breach & Clear we're going to push forward and reach out to the devs on our wishlist. Jeff is high up on that list and we're hoping we can sell him on the idea! Considering that I still play Tempest 2000 regularly nearly two decades after it's release - I'd like to be able to confidently say that I could do the same with TxK after the same time span has passed.

Oh, there is one last suggestion I'd make: Fruitbat Factory is bringing Eiyuu Senki to the West. They're a small company focused on PC games that somehow secured this PS3 title and it's coming as DD-only.

Interesting! We're hoping to look at PS3 titles in the future. They're a bit more difficult to produce due to the fact that PS3 games are actually played off of the disc (rather than installed like a PS4 game), but that's a challenge we're willing to figure out. There's enough digital only PS3 games out there that deserve physical releases, after all.

Wish you all the luck. As someone who wants to own physical copies of my games you can bet I'll be lining up to make a lot of purchases. I hope I can get your first release without having to resort to a scalper. Hopefully you limit it to one copy per person.

This was bound to happen at some point and I for one am excited.

Shizuka

Two interesting tidbits I just read that I don't think have been shared here already are that most games will be $25, unless the digital version is already higher than that, and that they plan to do one game per month.

Will the numbers be one for every print, or for every platform? I'll most likely get Vita titles only, you should do #1, #2, #3, all counting for a single platform, not counting across many platforms.

I'm incredibly happy you guys are doing this. I've wanted a company like this to exist for a long time, even to the point of planning it out myself (which, of course, never get very far).

Best of luck to you. I look forward to buying as many of your games as I can.

Once we've got some numbers from Breach & Clear we're going to push forward and reach out to the devs on our wishlist. Jeff is high up on that list and we're hoping we can sell him on the idea! Considering that I still play Tempest 2000 regularly nearly two decades after it's release - I'd like to be able to confidently say that I could do the same with TxK after the same time span has passed.

Same, and no worries. I'm excited to get Breach and Clear as it is, I'm just hype is all. You guys are changing the game and I definitely understand the proof of concept thing.

mrjohill

I was wondering if something like the new digimon for vita would be on the table for a physical release? Or is it just strictly indie titles?

Heck yes, you and me both! I already tweeted at them about Limited Run Games but didn't respond :(

Two interesting tidbits I just read that I don't think have been shared here already are that most games will be $25, unless the digital version is already higher than that, and that they plan to do one game per month.

Will the numbers be one for every print, or for every platform? I'll most likely get Vita titles only, you should do #1, #2, #3, all counting for a single platform, not counting across many platforms.

Yep this is how it should be done, numbering by platform since I also will like to collect for Vita only.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I was wondering if something like the new digimon for vita would be on the table for a physical release? Or is it just strictly indie titles?

I don't think it is per se, as much as the fact that an indie dev is more likely to agree to it as opposed to a larger publisher.

It's the one thing I'm worried about for the game(s) I want the most. I would love more than anything to have Transistor and/or Bastion with physical releases. But with WB involved I'm not sure how that would actually play out.

I don't think it is per se, as much as the fact that an indie dev is more likely to agree to it as opposed to a larger publisher.

It's the one thing I'm worried about for the game(s) I want the most. I would love more than anything to have Transistor and/or Bastion with physical releases. But with WB involved I'm not sure how that would actually play out.

I just don't think WB would deal with all of the licensing headaches just to make $10,000 or so.

Has Nude Maker commented on the state of the Vita version in light of PC being the lead platform? I'm a little concerned it'll look like the mobile variations which are notable gutted from their "big screen" counterpart.

Honestly I haven't been keeping track of the game since I didn't back it (I didn't like any of the tiers). If it is the mobile/gutted one I'd probably still buy one for my collection and just play on PC when it's cheaper. I usually wait for 75% off or $5 on digital only depending on how much I want it.

I just don't think WB would deal with all of the licensing headaches just to make $10,000 or so.

I'm pretty sure that the PS4 version is self-published by Supergiant, not sure about Vita. It's possible WB was only the publisher of record for PC and last-gen and the deal may have extended to digital format only. I haven't actually talked to Supergiant or anything so this is all speculation - I wouldn't completely write off the possibility of a physical release, though.

This is a fantastic idea, because there are digital titles that, for one reason or another, I'd like to have physical copies of.

For example, something like Velocity collection, with some custom artwork by Futurlab as the cover would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom