• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

-GJ-

QUESTIONS!!

does this use the Nintendo ID at all?
Any mynintendo missions?

Id be so annoyed if this uses yet another separate system and doesn't fall with miitomo as Nintendo online apps.

You can get
an extra character
(
Toad
) (not sure if anyone considers this a spoiler, but just to be sure) by spending some coins on MyNintendo, so I assume you're gonna need to log in if you want to use that.

BSpot

Usually stuff hits in its local time per country. The fact that this is not has me worried. Wondering if it will not hit until some daylight time during the 15th. :/

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Was really bummed to discover earlier today that, by making the full game an in-app purchase, that most likely blocks the app from being shared through Apple's family sharing. I was really looking forward to sharing this with my fiancé, but I can't justify dropping $20 for both of us to be able to play the game.

Same here.

Shaneus

Haha, could be it. I was surprised it wasn't available in Australia/New Zealand yet.
Likewise. Says it's available Dec. 15 (which it is here, obv.) but no dice. So where IS it available if the OP says it's on the iOS App Store "now"?

Kouriozan

Apple is marketing this game like mad and can't do a midnight release, smh
not serious ;)
If it runs on my iPad I'll definitely drop the 10€

boiled goose

good with gravy
You can get
an extra character
(
Toad
) (not sure if anyone considers this a spoiler, but just to be sure) by spending some coins on MyNintendo, so I assume you're gonna need to log in if you want to use that.

Ok. That points to a connection existing. Any details on how the game is connected to your Nintendo ID?

bumpkin

I was one of the first to say $10 was too much, but I know I'm going to cave and buy it. It's just the waiting game.

I wish I had some insight into *when* the App would go live as I'm a registered iOS Developer, but I have never used their mechanism for scheduling a release date. I always put up my Apps with a "release immediately when it passes review." All I can say for sure is you can't set a time, only a date. My educated guess would be midnight PST.

RowdyReverb

I can't wait! So excited. Would be really great if the notification from the App Store made a Mario sound effect, but I know it probably won't

Kouriozan

$10 is a high price point for a mobile game, and especially so when you consider that it's a runner. Nintendo's brand may be strong enough to get people to buy anyway, but it's not out of line to notice that the price is high.

Indeed, for the mobile audience, only Square Enix is crazy enough to price games that high.
It'll be interesting to watch for sure.

Can we wait until the game is out and some people have played it before bringing out the pitchforks?

People balked at $17 for a remake of Romancing SaGa 2 and that was a 40+ hour RPG.

Mobile is a different world no matter how strong you think your existing brand is.

Guess Who

Banned
$10 is a high price point for a mobile game, and especially so when you consider that it's a runner. Nintendo's brand may be strong enough to get people to buy anyway, but it's not out of line to notice that the price is high.

It's a very low price point for a new 2D Mario game, however.

But I'm an old fogey who thinks the race to the bottom on iOS game pricing has resulted in a market full of manipulative free-to-play garbage and hurt the market for bigger-budget, more ambitious games on the platform and am glad Nintendo is trying to push against this at least a little.

BooJoh

I just paid $40 for Mario Maker on 3DS knowing full well I'm mostly paying for the single player Nintendo-made content. I'll happily pay a quarter of that price for roughly a quarter of the levels with multiple playmodes and a world building minigame and extra replayability, etc. even though I'm lukewarm at best on most mobile games I've tried.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've only played one runner in my life---Subway Surfer---but that was the arcade version which seemed a bit more fun since there was more movement with the joystick + buttons over just using a phone.

I can't turn down the game finally bringing my boy Ninji to glorious 3D, but as someone who doesn't have any interest in A) mobile games or B) endless runners I'll probably skip this unfortunately. I haven't even gotten around to playing Pokemon Go.

$10 is definitely high*.

*When compared with games that are f2p with micro transactions or priced too low for quality mobile development to be sustainable for the developers in the long run.

For a good game with relatively high production values though, it's a very reasonable price point. Nintendo is against devaluing games. They've spoken against mobile game pricing on several occasions. $10 is not too high.

glow

Banned
I didn't even realize this is launching at midnight. I thought it would just release in the middle of the day when they normally update the App Store.

Ah, is that how they normally do it? Damn, I was hoping to play this before bed tonight. Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I wish I had some insight into *when* the App would go live as I'm a registered iOS Developer, but I have never used their mechanism for scheduling a release date. I always put up my Apps with a "release immediately when it passes review." All I can say for sure is you can't set a time, only a date. My educated guess would be midnight PST.

This is the first time a game has been released like this, so I imagine things are happening "manually" on the Apple side. Usually the main featured release for the week would already be available right now ahead of the App Store featuring refresh tomorrow, so it is so far not following any precedent.

You guys are understimating this one I believe. The price point is nothing vs the brand. Have no ideahow long people have waited and asked for mario on smartphone.

DJKhaled

I didn't even realize this is launching at midnight. I thought it would just release in the middle of the day when they normally update the App Store.

Surely it has to be midnight because they wouldn't be advertising a 15th of December release date in Australia if that was the case because it'd be the 16th here by midday in America.

Top Bottom