• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PAL] Recently released box arts (dial-up warning: lots of images)

TheMoon

91gx4nBytdL._SL1500_.jpg
91hhAHiRUlL._SL1500_.jpg

why is this like this. someone explain.

El-Suave

Not a farmer but a Google search revealed that those two are tractor brands that are owned by the same corporation. So they decided that their German brand be on the cover there while the other brand is featured outside of Germany.

iFirez

So I know too much about this purely because I work for a video production company and AGCO are one of our clients so I edit and animate a lot of corporate videos for them.

So AGCO are a large agricultural company, manufacturing parts and also own large vehicle brands such as Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Valtra, Challenger and others. While AGCO started in the states they also have a massive presence in the EU. In the late 90's they bought Fendt and started building a huge EU headquarters location in Germany where Fendt was based and leading the market. So AGCO already owned Massey Ferguson before Fendt and Massey (the red tractors) are beru popular not only in the US but also in places like the UK, France and other parts of Europe. While Fendt was popular in Germany and other countries, other brands like Valtra started making a name for themselves in Finland.

I imagine Fendt being the prominent tractor of choice on the box art is a mixed choice for Focus and also a brand choice from AGCO - who would have licensed the rights to their vehicles and brands to be used in the game. Fendt is the most common type of tractor in Germany, you'll like only ever see green tractors driving around, while in England for example it is mostly red tractors, which is ofcourse Massey Furguson... also you can't show both... oh god you really can't show both. The brands, while owned by the same parent company, do not play together - they are there own identity. So I have to make edits that only feature one kind of brand, or design multiple assets such as tractors for animations and while the content of the final product doesn't change the actual colours, fonts and tractors will.

While I doubt anyone will question my knowledge on this, here's some screenshots from films/animations I've made/edited in the spoiler box below:
forimagesize said:

I'd also like to point out, I know far too much about tractors and combine harvesters because of this job... and I hate them both equally. After 2 years... I could talk about just the brand politics or engine sizes or RGB value's for brand colours -- for hours and hours.

TheMoon

So I know too much about this purely because I work for a video production company and AGCO are one of our clients so I edit and animate a lot of corporate videos for them.

So AGCO are a large agricultural company, manufacturing parts and also own large vehicle brands such as Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Valtra, Challenger and others. While AGCO started in the states they also have a massive presence in the EU. In the late 90's they bought Fendt and started building a huge EU headquarters location in Germany where Fendt was based and leading the market. So AGCO already owned Massey Ferguson before Fendt and Massey (the red tractors) are beru popular not only in the US but also in places like the UK, France and other parts of Europe. While Fendt was popular in Germany and other countries, other brands like Valtra started making a name for themselves in Finland.

I imagine Fendt being the prominent tractor of choice on the box art is a mixed choice for Focus and also a brand choice from AGCO - who would have licensed the rights to their vehicles and brands to be used in the game. Fendt is the most common type of tractor in Germany, you'll like only ever see green tractors driving around, while in England for example it is mostly red tractors, which is ofcourse Massey Furguson... also you can't show both... oh god you really can't show both. The brands, while owned by the same parent company, do not play together - they are there own identity. So I have to make edits that only feature one kind of brand, or design multiple assets such as tractors for animations and while the content of the final product doesn't change the actual colours, fonts and tractors will.

While I doubt anyone will question my knowledge on this, here's some screenshots from films/animations I've made/edited in the spoiler box below:

I'd also like to point out, I know far too much about tractors and combine harvesters because of this job... and I hate them both equally. After 2 years... I could talk about just the brand politics or engine sizes or RGB value's for brand colours -- for hours and hours.

holy shit, I never expected to actually learn this much about this stuff hahaha

amazing, thank you. and my condolences about your tractor suffering :D

totally lines up with my worldview of never having seen a not-green tractor here in Germany my entire life (which made me wonder about this in the first place).

As if I didn't already love this thread enough. <3

Linkura

This is why GAF is the best.

Kyonashi

why is this so interesting

TheMoon

This looks like one of those AA, B-C tier PS2 titles that you would find at an EB Games used somewhere in 2005 for $14.99, something that G4 briefly went over during a 2 minute obscure games you might want to check out blurb.

I hope you know that it's a remake of a "classic" 1999 PC game. :)

BluWacky

imagining teenager bedrooms now with tractor posters instead of singers/actors.

I know this post is two weeks old, but I just thought I would mention that until very recently I worked in a school based in an area with a lot of (quite rich) farmers who sent their kids to that school; and indeed, there were some pupils I taught whose rooms (boarding school) were indeed decorated with pictures of their favourite tractors, alongside pictures of pheasants they'd shot and so forth.

They loved Farming Simulator, incidentally (although I never quite got that - why would you want to spend your free time pretending to be a farmer when you basically do that all day when you're at home?).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The one thing I've learnt reading this last page is that there is a market for Farming Sims. My experience with them starts and stops with that Skrillex video.

Oh and that last box art, Eden Games, didn't they make Test Drive Unlimited? Isn't that Switch game the same in all but the Test Drive name?

Top Bottom