• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You own the rights to a franchise and can create 1 game in it. What do you choose?

_Rob_

Sölf;246782382 said:
I never knew a third MediEvil was planned. I now want this.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

It seems crazy to me that Sony has left it dormant for so long. I mean, how often do you get the original successful team, pitch again wanting to repeat the winning formula!?

Defect

Typical answer would be Metroid, Paper Mario and Halo but they are still getting games.

I'd love to work on a new Ape Escape or Klonoa!

ActRaiser. Just make a new, modern ActRaiser for the Switch.
I feel like Switch would already be too late. Actraiser is the game that would have flourished with a dual-screen set-up. Mixing RTS on the bottom screen with action on the top, and making each gamemode influence each other in real-time. It was the one idea I wanted from the DS, 3DS or even the WiiU. With dual screen gaming dying, so do my hopes and and dreams.

Typical answer would be Metroid, Paper Mario and Halo but they are still getting games.

I'd love to work on a new Ape Escape or Klonoa!
Great picks! What would you do with 'em though?

Justinh

if I could choose? I'd steal Panzer Dragoon from that other guy and release a port of Panzer Dragoon Saga on XBL and PSN.

iswasdoes

Smash.

I wanna make a 3D MMO smash game.

The idea is that you play on island type levels (think things like whomps fortress from Mario 64) and there are 50+ players on at any one time

Normal smash controls and rules apply, just adapted for three dimensional movement

Would be awesome.

Crixus

AC Black Flag - make it a first person open world rpg Bethesda style with character creation and customization, many factions and side quests, very detailed sailing simulation, ship customization and emphasis on exploring uncharted islands, building farms and manufactures and trade routes between settlements. The art style would be nothing like Sea of Thieves and very much like the Witcher. I wouldn't mind a Black Sails (Starz) license either.

Breath of Fire, steal monolith from nintendo and yoko from platnium to breed the ultimate abomination.
Inconceivable. Yoko Taro would insist on white haired protagonists and while Breath of Fire demands shades of blue.

"Zombies ate my Neighbours" with online and couch co-op, and customizable characters.
This makes sense and would work perfectly in today's climate. Who owns the IP?

id get the Halo franchise and create a direct sequel to Halo CE
my multiplayer lead designer would be the same guy that created the CE multiplayer alone, he was the only person at Bungie who ever had a clue on how to balance a multiplayer while maintaining a high skillgap

id make Halo great again ;)

eXistor

I feel like a broken record at this point but: Phantasy Star V. Big-budget, single player, offline, sprawling 3D game.

Parasite Eve.

Would be set in the present day but staring an Adult Ben as a cop solving cases with his new found powers, similar to how Aya was awakened. And of course dealing with the trauma and ptsd he witnessed during Eve's 7 day reign back when he was a kid. It would be more in line with the original game and not all those random ass plot points in 3rd birthday.

Of course Aya/Eve would still be there as an ally/playable character. Would love for it to play similar to the Last of us but with RPG elements

sublimit

Banned
Tomb Raider and i would try to reassemble all the Core Design members who worked on the franchise until AoD along with new blood for technical expertise.
The new game would have a grid based control system with obviously faster and smoother animations,similar level designs to the classic TR games,platforming and puzzle based gameplay with a few sections of combat and a colorful,cel-shaded visual style that would be based on the style of the original games but in a modern way. And i would bring back Judith Gibbins for Lara's VA (she's a bit old but her voice hasn't really changed.)She's still my favourite and most iconic voice of Lara.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Silent Hill, and I give it to Kojima's new studio to just make Silent Hills.

Second place would go to No More Heroes, and that would be to hand it off to the Guilty Gear Xrd team to make a fighting game out of it.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Very simple. Half Life franchise & Half Life 3. Even if the dream team is not available, will settle for something like a Tell Tale game too.

saturnine

Wild Arms, with the team responsible for 3. Then I'd have Tri-Ace provide combat animation and Sakaguchi to steer the ship.

Alternatively, fuck it, Final Fantasy, with the team responsible for Wild Arms 3. Then I'd have Tri-Ace provide combat animation and Sakaguchi to steer the ship. And Uematsu for the soundtrack of course.

StarPhlox

I make Mega Man X9 and close the X portion of the timeline. It would be like X2.

Or I finally make a Julius battle of 1999 Castlevania game since that never happened. It would be like Ecclesia.

NotUS

Omikron The Nomad Soul

A bizarre sandbox sequel built on today's hardware could give this ambitious game the justice it deserves.

vsMIC

call of duty modern warfare real time strategy spin off including the heros and nukes featuring mass scale battlefields as well as smaller special op mission.

dirt rally 2 as service game. just take dr1 and add some of the good from 4 + more cars/tracks as dlc. big focus on online events and tournys.

ninja gaiden origins, open world game around the hayabusa clan in ancient japan.

battlefield ww2, large scale war (>64players?) featuring tons of vehicles and massive destructions.

soul calibur 1 remake with more content

street fighter alpha x, but more in the spirit of a grounded usf4 instead of 5

Terrorblot

Resident Evil Tactics. Isometric Turn Based RPG where you explore the mansion and racoon city. You'd have full 3D control of your character (tank controls of course) when not in combat, provoking an enemy would initiate combat and it would then play out like something in between XCOM and Final Fantasy Tactics. Inventory Tetris from RE4 exists and ammo/resources are finite. You can only level up via the RE4 merchant. Nintendo Switch.

Dadasch

Demon's Souls Remake for PS4 with Naughty Dog level of animation.
Developed by Naughty Dog with Miyazaki as Lead Designer.

RAWRferal

I can't believe no one has mentioned Bloodborne yet. Not my choice, but this is NeoGAF... Expected that to be the first 3 pages exclusively.

Harlequin

Tomb Raider, no question about it.

As for a team? Hm, definitely some of the ex-Core Design devs, maybe some of the people who worked on the first Mirror's Edge. For writers, I'd get Vicky Arnold (who wrote the scripts for TR1-3 and was instrumental in shaping classic Lara's character) and Murti Schofield (who wrote Angel of Darkness' story - I think he has said that he wouldn't work as lead writer on a video game again but I think for this hypothetical scenario we can just ignore that).

Now, I'm not entirely sure about what type of game it'd be as there are several options, all of which are tempting. For one, it could be a direct sequel to Angel of Darkness, it could be a reboot of sorts based around a slightly more grounded, realistic version of classic Lara set in the 90s and adhering to Lara's original bio, it could just be a random standalone game set in the classic universe in the vein of the first three TRs, etc. In terms of gameplay, it'd definitely be an updated version of the classic formula. Lots of challenging, precision-based 3D platforming, tricky puzzles, only a tiny bit of combat, intricate level design, controls similar to the classics, etc. Maybe have some of AoD's features like branched dialogues added in.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd buy GTA from Rockstar/T2 and make GTA VI a heavily single player focused game.

we all know they don't care about it anymore and will focus mostly on the online part. whatever single player content we get will be an after thought.

Arxisz

Sleeping Dogs. I would try to gather the original team and build on the first game without any online shenanigans.

Metalgus

Banned
Shenmue. I'd get Bluepoint Games to do a proper Shenmue 1 + 2 Remaster. I know it ain't very original, but that's what I want right now.

Top Bottom