• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you guys watched COD WW2 gameplay?

JoeLT

How is in on the previous CoD games? Or was Infinte Warfare your first CoD game?
Played every single one at launch since MW1. Not sure if it's a matter of it always being that bad and the competition just runs so much smoother its more noticeable now, or if it's the extremely low TTK in Infinite Warfare that makes it seem even worse. Feel like it wasn't as bad in past games but then nostalgia and all, those were also strictly P2P so who knows. Just know in 2017 it's absolutely unacceptable and the fans deserve better.

Fbh

Looks like what I pictured when thinking COD in WW2.

It's how this franchise is. I really don't know what else you expect.
They aren't going to go with giant maps and vehicles since that's what battlefield does and they aren't going to make a super realistic and slow WW2 games since that's not what COD is about or what COD players want

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's still a bit far-fetched for my tastes - suppressors and red dot sights everywhere, Mausers with detachable magazines, and if I'm completely honest, the sound of women in combat shouting was more jarring than I was expecting - but I'm still very excited to play it. I'm so glad World War Two is is getting much more attention from developers and the community alike recently.

Machina

Banned
I thought this would grab my attention too considering the return to WW2 but I'm honestly not feeling it. BF2 grabbed me a lot more

witness

Just makes me wish that this was done by Dice so we can play with WW2 vehicles using modern tech.The machinery used in WW2 is a huge obsession for a lot of people, and none of this will be part of the multi other than a quick kill streak.

It does seem clumsy. These are dangerously thorny conversations to enter into, but it does feel difficult for Sledgehammer to simultaneously tout the historical accuracy and the attempt at respecting the real life experiences of the soldiers in these battles and to also design in something so strikingly inaccurate.

Obviously they're in a tough spot, caught between an entirely admirable attempt at inclusion for female players, and the desire to portray a war people are highly familiar with in an accurate manner. It is of course obviously also true that multiplayer is not the place for pure simulation of reality, and is always rife with absurdities. Nonetheless, these are real historical battles, and indeed veterans of these battles are still alive.

It is undeniably jarring to jump from documentary footage to this, and to note these obvious inaccuracies. Playing an American GI roasting German women alive en-masse with a flamethrower... somehow that doesn't exactly feel like the most sensitive and respectful depiction of this moment in history. It strikes a rather odd and sour tone. This isn't the exploitation revisionism of Wolfenstein, this is ostensibly a tribute to the experiences of those involved in this conflict.

I'm not saying I know the right way to deal with these issues, but I do think there is a conversation to be had. There is more to that than just some kind of neanderthal reactionary backlash against inclusion. These questions are difficult when you're dealing with real life battles in which countless people died, all within living memory.

Yeah, I think it's kind of weird when they talk about how accurate their game is, it's not like BF1 where nobody pretends the game's trying to be accurate. There's also the fact that the Nazis fielding women and minorities kind of whitewashes their crimes and ideology.

I really wish these games would jut drop the pretense of accuracy, just make it a straight-up dieselpunk fantasy game. I'd kill for a Battlefield game based on this:

iron_harvest_art04.0.jpg

Just makes me wish that this was done by Dice so we can play with WW2 vehicles using modern tech.The machinery used in WW2 is a huge obsession for a lot of people, and none of this will be part of the multi other than a quick kill streak.
Same.

Regardless I am looking forward to this game.

Tinman dX

Banned
Easily a day 1 purchase. Any news on Score streaks or Kill Streaks. I prefer Kill Streaks btw 😬 And I hope they aren't broken and compliment the game play, I'd actually enjoy seeing a locked 3, 5, 7 again.

I hope there are some additional Hardcore modes added. Maybe War could work in HC idk. Either way I've never passed up on a COD and most likely never will.

Noticed a lot of complaints about women and black people in the German army, as well as maps being small, but the game overall seems like a back to roots kind of game.

Extremely skeptical of supply drops and poor maps.

Graphically, design and scale-wise, yeah it's showing age big time. They sorely need a new engine, but have no incentive really.

So this mode is just Operations on a tiny scale? lol.

Graphically, design and scale-wise, yeah it's showing age big time. They sorely need a new engine, but have no incentive really.

Yeah, the trailer looked great but everything about the gameplay, including the visuals look quite aged. It does look like old school COD though and that's a good thing. We'll see.

JimiNutz

Banned
It looks like COD to me and im guessing that's a disappointment because we were expecting a WWII COD to not look so similar to the other modern COD games?

Duxxy3

Looks good to me. I'll pre-order as soon as I figure out which damn platform I'm getting it on...

edit: As for the BF1 comparisons - I found my time with BF1 felt more like an experience than a game. An amazing experience for sure, but not something I would play long term.

It doesn't look good. Normally I wouldn't harp on a game's graphics too much. Ultimately it's not that important. But as a 6v6 mega-budget shooter compared to Dice games which go up to 32v32 it's absurd.

Imagine, if there were players, that did not enjoy large scale battles.

Mind blown.

It looks fine to me, it's a game designed to be 6v6(mostly) and run at 60fps on current gen consoles at 1080p. It's not going to look insane.

It looks like CoD, but that's not a bad thing. This looks more focused on gun play and less on all the gimmicks in their latest games. It'll be the first CoD I buy since BO2.

katsais

I didn't watch any footage until this weekend, because I skipped the last one. But damn, WW2 looks really good. I might end up getting it after some reviews and feedback. I'm not falling for the hype.

klier

Was interested, but after black women in Nazi clothing? Nah, thanks, I'll stick to Battlefield.

I love black people, but come the fuck on. Keep it at least semi real please next time.

Looks good to me. I just want to be able to enter a building and clear it room by room, corner by corner, without having to worry about someone flying through a door way, over the top of my head, with an exo suit jetpack.

The combination of high mobility low time to kill and tight maps in the previous games just didn't work. It felt too chaotic and unpredictable for me. Maybe I would have gotten into the swing of them had I given more time, but I just hated it, and I did try for at least a few hours on all of them.

Hari Seldon

I'm with you OP, that game looks a decade old at least. They need to seriously take a few years off and come up with a modern engine.

It looks like COD with a WW2 skin, I'm not sure what else you expected?

The name spells it out pretty perfectly.

COD

WW2

This has been my thought throughout since the original reveal. It's exactly what we should expect, given the game and it setting. It's Call of Duty set during WWII. Better or worse.

I expect a lot more out of CoD visually if they have small maps, no destruction, no vehicles, and only 12 players. It's significantly less computationally complex but we are getting nothing in return for the cuts in these areas. The series is just stagnating, not even from just a gameplay point of view but also technologically. Even their sound doesn't compare to Battlefield. You gotta do at least one thing better.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Game does look fine, it's easy to see what's going on which is nice.

Some of the assets are pretty old looking, like the shrubbery at the start of the video. The lighting is also kinda eh.

Smokey

I watched footage and I kept saying something doesn't feel right. I think most of the thread has put it in words for me, it looks dated. Especially compared to BF1. Not sure how this iteration is going to go over with hardcore COD folks, BUT, from impressions I've read a lot of the YouTubers were impressed with what they played.

I think the visual fidelity is pretty neat. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but it has a certain, "crisp" look to it that IW was missing due to the odd stylistic choice of film grain (I know you can shut it off in IW, but I much rather play how the developer intended me to play it).

The two major draws of COD for me anyways is how responsive the controls are, and how easy it is to play while you're occupied with something else. I could be looking at something on my laptop or be playing music while in a match, and still manage to finish as the match MVP with no major issue.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Was interested, but after black women in Nazi clothing? Nah, thanks, I'll stick to Battlefield.

I love black people, but come the fuck on. Keep it at least semi real please next time.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic are not, we're talking about the same series where you can call in a nuke to end a game instantly after 25 consecutive kills or call in a horde of invincible dogs..

I'll probably end up buying if it has a good campaign, but nothing they've shown so far has peaked my interest. Are people actually exited for this? I remember actually seeing more discussion for the last game.

Multiplayer looks the same as it ever has. I'll be Red🅱️oxing for the campaign. I fell for the old "it's gonna be new and refreshing!" Spiel for COD twice already. Never again.

I heard that about Infinite War's campaign, picked it up, and found that while it was a little better than some of the previous COD campaigns it still paled in comparison to what we got with Titanfall 2 and Doom last year.

I liked World at War's gameplay back in the day, but I think this one will be a RedBox for me, too.

patientx

watched some multiplayer footage, i believe it was domination gametype. it just kinda reminded me of MW1 with a WW2 paintjob, kinda like how BF1 didn't really feel much different than BF4 to me.

This. Exactly this. Still has the floaty feel. I think without the futuristic lights/lazers/explosions the game would look like this. Bland. Not my World at War successor, sorry.

Top Bottom