• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition Coming To PS4/XB1, Launching August 29

The only reason I don't like less people in my party is because I miss more party banter.
I would prefer every RPG had fewer party members but deeper interactions. I was happy about the change in PoE2.

You guys need to play Divinity OS:EE (on consoles or PC w/ controller). Games like this can be done.
Oh, they can absolutely be done. It's just much more painful and painstaking. Also, Divinity is turn-based and has fewer player-controlled characters.

I would say I make hundreds of precise clicks in some of the longer PoE encounters.

Famassu

When will PC devs/publishers learn with console devs/publishers?
When a console game goes to PC after some time it usually it comes with a better entry price.
US50 is way to expensive.
Im glad about the announcement but wont even bother until it doesn't hit sub US30.
If you went ahead and bought PoE & expansions for PC right now, that would be about 80$, still. Of course it's been on sale, but nothing too crazy like 5$ for base game and 5$ for both expansions, yet, that I've seen at least. So 50$ for the whole thing with hopefully controls that are fully tailored to controllers isn't all that bad of a deal.

Massicot

You guys need to play Divinity OS:EE (on consoles or PC w/ controller). Games like this can be done.

That's turn based, so a bit different. But I also had a chance to play this, and I think it works okay. It took a bit of getting used to but after about 10 minutes it felt fairly natural.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Cool beans. There's no reason for me to get this as I am perfectly happy having it on PC, but hopefully folks who are primarily console gamers will give it a shot. It's one of the best Kickstarter success stories so far.

Mivey

I have no idea how they screwed this up so bad. You're loading a background image and 20 sprite assets. WTF.
3D models, but yeah, that's terrible, even playing on a SSD. But I get closer to 10 seconds, even in the worst case. So on consoles that will probably be worse, unless they incorporate that new code from Pillars 2, which should be doable.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Megaton.

Does it mean that the PC version will also get controller support? If not, I'd get a PS4 copy then.

This is my question too: new 4K TV, comfy couch and my Xbox One Elite Controller await!

I would consider the Steam controller first over a traditional gamepad if comfy couch gaming (tm) is important to you. I don't see a gamepad doign better than that no matter what they do, short of changing game mechanics (which I'm sure they didn't do).

Controller specific UI + Directional commands do it for me.

I have a Steam controller (great for certain games) but true native controller support always trumps it for me, love them big fonts and button prompts.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Hi everyone. New member here (haven't even got an avatar sorted out), thought I would jump in here for my first post as I'm a huge RPG fan and completed this on PC. I'm delighted that this is coming to console although of course it remains to be seen how user-friendly the adaptation is on a TV. So far as I am concerned anything that increases the potential audience for the genre is a good thing, especially as we see other major franchises drifting away into the action game genre.

I can already tell you'll be a great addition to the GAF family, good vibes my friend!

In other news, this has me thirsty to jump back into Pillars now....I've got 120 hours logged and just started White March, fell off a while back but controller support on the PC version with Xbox UI would be an amazing revamp!

fuzzyset

That's turn based, so a bit different. But I also had a chance to play this, and I think it works okay. It took a bit of getting used to but after about 10 minutes it felt fairly natural.

Yeah, but all RTwP games are turn based underneath since they all are DnD based (or a derivative like PoE). The game simply doesn't pause the game after each turn by default.

DigSCCP

If you went ahead and bought PoE & expansions for PC right now, that would be about 80$, still. Of course it's been on sale, but nothing too crazy like 5$ for base game and 5$ for both expansions, yet, that I've seen at least. So 50$ for the whole thing with hopefully controls that are fully tailored to controllers isn't all that bad of a deal.

So they could bring the base game for US30 and the Complete Edition for US50.
The genre is not that popular on consoles and bringing it for a high price its not a good idea to make it more popular.
Or even try harder and put it on PS+ and sell the Season Pass.
Look at what Kalypso did : they put Tropico 5 on PS+ and showed that is possible to play it on a console.
As someone who enjoy the genre but don't play on PC anymore I was glad to see Tropico 6 announcement and now that I know it works game is on my radar.
I suppose they are trying to test market for PoE 2 and at US50 they are not doing it right.

Cornbread78

OK, this is pretty damn cool..

Now, how the hell do I budget time to play this as well as everything else coming and already in my backlog?

Durante

Anyway, if the controls are at all decent I urge everyone who can't play it on PC to buy this.

It's easily one of the best RPGs in recent years.

alemmon

I'll be honest, I hope this bombs. Publishers wanting console development is the reason this entire style of game went extinct and I don't think that happening again is worth a small group of console only people playing Pillars.

I cant wait to buy this on my PS4!

Massicot

Anyway, if the controls are at all decent I urge everyone who can't play it on PC to buy this.

It's easily one of the best RPGs in recent years.

image.php

(i agree)

Good, the pc version never worked for me so I'll get this lol. Sucks that I'll have to deal with a worse control scheme and ui but what can ya do

Also how does this work for 2, can I import my choices in to the 2nd game on a different platform or what?

Finally devs should probably stop putting their foots in their mouths with regards to "it's never coming to console"

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Conflicted. Have it on my laptop, but I hate playing on my laptop. What to do...

Hopeful Logic™ would dictate that the PC version will be getting gamepad support now, pretty much all the other console versions of the latest isometric games on release spouted PC controller support I think (D:OS, Wasteland 2 etc).

ffvorax

Backed and played on my old laptop... it's really an amazing game, remembered me of the old good Baldur's gate times... Buy it if you like old wprg, I don't know about the expansion, but the base game was really good.

Massicot

Good, the pc version never worked for me so I'll get this lol. Sucks that I'll have to deal with a worse control scheme and ui but what can ya do

Also how does this work for 2, can I import my choices in to the 2nd game on a different platform or what?

Finally devs should probably stop putting their foots in their mouths with regards to "it's never coming to console"

I don't think this affects Deadfire at all. This port is almost entirely Paradox Arctic, and Deadfire might not even be published by Paradox. When I talked to the developers at E3, they did bring up the idea of a Dragon Age Keep type system for importing choices into Deadfire. This was unprompted btw, they brought it up without me asking.

Also there won't be a direct character import into Deadfire since the class system is reworked: only the choices can be imported.

But who knows, Deadfire is probably about a year away and depending on how this does maybe it will also get console support. My takeaway was that it wasn't really being considered right at this moment though.

I will never ever get this. Divinity Original had a nice fighting system with a great use of elementals and how they work together. But besides that? Story, Characters, game world, writing, dialoges? It all was really forgetable. And the game was rather linear, too.
I found the turn-based gameplay more "CRPG"-like and it's extremely fun to boot, the story and characters were meh but stuff like dual dialogues and true choice and consequences were the real deal. No other game had done this and so I feel like D:OS is closer to DnD than a game like Baldur's Gate or PoE; despite the fact the former used the DnD ruleset. As for linearity, nah it wasn't linear, it just had unlevelled areas where tougher enemies were on specific parts of the overall map. You can leave the opening city in three directions, four if you count an underground sewer system. And as long as you was the right level or on a lower difficulty, you could go to the areas with the more powerful enemies first before the other ways. In fact, PoE seems more linear to me than D:OS given the world map progression is literally a line drawn from one area to the other and you had to travel from one end to the other without many different directions to go at it.

To me, D:OS was the true return to a pen and paper experience, rather than a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate or something. There's no other CRPG out there right now that gets as close to pen and paper in video game form other than D:OS (and the upcoming sequel), and this other game called Temple of Elemental Evil. Turn-based combat will always outdo RTwP (to me) because real DnD is turn-based.

Pillars of Eternity on the other hand is the closest thing you get to Baldur's Gate. I don't know how it was at launch. But with the two addons and all the patches it's a masterpiece.

Yeah, as I said, D:OS being closer to that pen and paper experience is more or less what a lot of people wanted when they wanted a true return to CRPG roots. PoE being close to Baldur's Gate makes it more of a spiritual successor than an original product trying to emulate DnD.

I don't think this affects Deadfire at all. This port is almost entirely Paradox Arctic, and Deadfire might not even be published by Paradox. When I talked to the developers at E3, they did bring up the idea of a Dragon Age Keep type system for importing choices into Deadfire. This was unprompted btw, they brought it up without me asking.

Also there won't be a direct character import into Deadfire since the class system is reworked: only the choices can be imported.

But who knows, Deadfire is probably about a year away and depending on how this does maybe it will also get console support. My takeaway was that it wasn't really being considered right at this moment though.

Yeah I wasn't asking about character imports, just curious about the choices.

And it doesn't matter to me if Deadfire comes to consoles cause I'd prefer to play this series on PC, I just had a weird technical issue that made the game literally unplayable and Obsidian support never contacted me back and the forums/GAF couldn't solve it. So basically I just want a Keep style system that can transfer my stuff from PS4 to PC.

First I need to make sure the original is worth even playing on PS4 though instead of just waiting for a new PC.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just scratched the surface of this on PC. I might double-dip since I haven't bought the expansions yet. And to support Obsidian.

Anno

Never played an Obsidian game, would you guys recommend this one?

Without a doubt. It's one of the best RPGs anywhere in a long time. Just know what you're getting into (lots of reading, not a lot of VA, lots and lots of abilities and fiddly combat decisions, 100+ hours etc.). It's not super hardcore or anything and I think a lot of people got into the genre well with this game but it can still be pretty complex.

Did someone fix RTS controls on consoles when I wasn't looking?

Turn-based is a whole different kettle of fish, even if you're spending 80% of the time paused in PoE.

Never played an Obsidian game, would you guys recommend this one?

I'd say Tyranny is the best for their recent CRPG stuff. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is also probably a little better than PoE (don't bother with the base campaign). But PoE is pretty great, with weaker than average storytelling and world building for Obsidian, but the best combat they've ever created, so it'd be a fine choice, too.

Fallout: New Vegas is the best game they've ever made, but obviously quite different from a Baldur's Gate revive.

Good luck with those controls ...

Otherwise this is the best W-RPG since Baldur's Gate Saga. Truly amazing game.

Controls will be fine. Controls are fine for a lot of RPG's coming out for consoles an example is Divinity.

I am looking forward to this and will double dip just to support the console release.

Tigress

Sweet! Like Wasteland 2 a game I was interested in but wasn't sure my Mac would run so never got around to playing it (until it came to PS4). And I'd love to support Obsidian... just cause of Fallout New Vegas I have a soft spot for them (they did make my favorite game of all time).

So now once again the only thing I'm missing by not having a PC is Fallout VR and most mods for Bethesda games (and New Vegas).

Top Bottom