• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klepek: Don't Reward Nintendo For This SNES Classic Pre-Order Bullshit

Amirnol

I was online when the preorders went up and of course nothing was available in Canada... You really can't win with this nonsense. I just want a fun gift for my nephew, but this has become such a circus, I really don't want to support it.

Experien

Correct.

...they could still easily produce enough. This thing doesn't have supply-constrained components like the Switch. It's a plastic box with a generic mobile chip running emulators. They could pump them out like thumb drives if they wanted to.

But they want to pump out Switches more than snes mini.

I feel bad for the people that want one and cannot find one. The NES classic was a mess. Hopefully this will be handled better but I doubt it.

Avallon

Voting with your wallet is not an option in this situation. If you don't buy the console, someone else will. There's a finite number of them, and they will all be spoken for.

It doesn't help that Nintendo is completely opaque about all this. Will they make more? Is it a limited, 5 month sell period like the NES classic? Will the ROMs that are on this machine also get ported over to the switch VC mode?

Nobody knows and Nintendo won't tell you, so everyone makes the assumption that this will only be available for an extremely limited time and quantity so if you miss out, you have lost your shot forever.

Just Nintendo simply saying "We aren't going to halt production on these, we will make more over the next 12 months it just takes time" would have gone a long way.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For all the complaints about Nintendo and the scalper scenario its a thing with other hardware too. I'm not sure what they could do to stop it. Any scenario that possibly stops scalpers also exposes them to overproduction.

Its not as simple as just making more of them or informing people when a sale will happen.
Take preorders on nintendo.com months in advance, produce the amount ordered. Voila, I fixed it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd rather Nintendo just create an actual virtual console for the Switch.

+1

This "totally not limited edition" console Classic shit is aggravating. They're not making enough to meet demand, they won't commit to manufacturing any beyond 2017.

What the fuck is the point of these things? Are they just a cheap way to insure that Nintendo has one of the "hot gadgets" this holiday season. God dammit you launched a new console this year that you can't even meet demand on. This is all negative mindshare. 2017 will be the year Nintendo released two different products that failed to meet half of their demand.

Just seems so damn stupid. Add all that to the fact that you can buy like 90% of these games on every console Nintendo has released in the past ~decade, except the one released this year, for extra befuddlement.

MoxManiac

Honestly just seems like he's using his influence as a journalist at a major entertainment outlet to loudly cry about not being able to get the toy he wanted.

I get it, I felt this way about not getting BoTW Master Edition, but I stopped at posting about my disappointment in the GAF thread. I felt the same things: I'm on the internet a lot, I check GAF a lot, yet I somehow missed it and it bummed me out.

But going to this extreme to loudly complain just seems silly. Nintendo products are hard to pre-order. Sometimes they're under-manufactured. That's just life. Nintendo is getting rewarded only in as many units as they can sell, and nobody is entitled to a product a company sells. If their practices are bad, people will stop buying it, but they won't.

So you don't get to give them money. Big whoop.

Nintendo deserves every bit of negative press over the way they are handling this product (and the previous product). I'm glad Patrick is calling this out on them and I wish/hope that others will follow suit as well.

The idea is that maybe, just maybe Nintendo is taken to task for this, they'll wake up and actually produce a proper amount of these products. If consumers and journalists don't speak up about things, nothing will ever change.

8byte

Banned
For all the complaints about Nintendo and the scalper scenario its a thing with other hardware too. I'm not sure what they could do to stop it. Any scenario that possibly stops scalpers also exposes them to overproduction.

Its not as simple as just making more of them or informing people when a sale will happen.

It's quite literally as simple as meeting demand. Nintendo doesn't plan to do that. They plant to do a limited release through the holiday season. The hype and publicity is more valuable to them than the money they'll make off the SNES Classic.

They could literally just say it's not a limited release and the scalping situation wouldn't be as bad. The fact that they announced it's just a limited time though? Scalpers are going to go HARD, even harder than they did with the SNES unless Nintendo has the stock to counter act that demand...and they won't.

This is 100% on Nintendo for not making enough units available.

They knew this shit was gonna be popular. They can't act all surprised this time. They're doing this shit on purpose because it generates buzz and increases their bottom line.

Fuck Nintendo.

I don't understand how selling fewer products makes Nintendo more money than selling more products, assuming the price of the product remains unchanged.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I just don't understand why Nintendo and only seemingly Nintendo has trouble keeping up with demand in general. They couldn't keep up with amiibos,they couldn't keep up with NES Mini heck for a period of time they couldn't even have n3DS XL in stock.

My n3DS XL was damaged last December and I couldn't find a replacement locally or online and it wasn't until February that I finally cracked and I bought the n3DS XL off a scalper on eBay (He only made $30 off me). They obviously can't keep up with the Switch demand and it doesn't look like they will keep up with the demand for the SNES Mini either.

Patrick doesn't subscribe to Wario 64 on twitter? Come on, man!

And as far as "rewarding Nintendo" goes, they made a product that I want to buy with a ton of games that I want to play, more than one of which for the first time (Mario RPG, Star Fox 1+2, Earthbound, etc.).

And if/when I get tired of the system in the future, I'll probably be able to at least make my money back when I sell it (if not more) and that's money Nintendo is stupidly not getting for themselves because they decided not to make enough systems.

I'm rewarding MYSELF for putting in the effort it took to get a preorder for one of these. I subscribed to Wario64 on twitter a few weeks ago, this morning I tried both Walmart and Target (had it in the cart, but target removed it when it failed and I refreshed), and then I went to my nearest Gamestop and managed to get the 4th one they had for preorder (out of less than 10).

I know that it really sucks for people that were asleep, or working, or in school. Nintendo does suck for making these suck a rare item. This and the NES Classic should have been the Tickle-Me Elmo of the holidays. Every store should have had towers of them available.

Turn on your goddamn in-stock alerts and follow Wario64, Klepek.

I managed to get two NES Classics last year and (fingers crossed) two SNES Classic orders in today. (None of them are being re-sold.)

That said, yeah it's insane.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is a systemic problem with Nintendo, and it literally only happens with Nintendo. Again and again, they undership fucking everything. Like they're the only company that doesn't want my money.

wrowa

I'm sure I'm showing ridiculous ignorance here, but why don't Nintendo just make enough to fulfil demand? Surely that way they make more money by selling more units, and potentially save on the manufacturing costs because they're building more of the bloody things?

I know storage is an issue and stuff, but surely the NES Classic would have given them a reasonable indication of roughly how many people would want this thing?

You can't produce an infinite number of stuff. I don't think we know one way or another how many SNES Minis Nintendo plans to ship out at launch -- it might be anywhere between "hilariously few" to "an insane lot". Products that are in demand can sell out quickly even if a company ships a huge amount, especially when people are afraid of missing out.

dont reward waypoint for this clickbait bullshit
blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Nah, this is both on Nintendo and retailers because they are both into this shit together.

I agree with him and it's something I've been saying this entire time with Nintendo. I absolutely hate it even though I participate in the games as well and it's not fair to the fans who have to sit idly by and watch the system they want to bad, go into the hands of scalpers because Nintendo doesn't want to produce enough to prevent this from happening. They want it to happen because their brand is worth more when it's less rather than when it's easily accessible. I expect nothing less from a toy company tbh...

gattsu

Anyone with skin in the sneaker game knows the drill. There's a release date specified ahead of time. Retailers will hold lottos, or specify a time and place to lineup. No bullshit. Everyone knows the date the website will have them, if they do. Many times the time is public knowledge as well. They've had problems with bots for years but there are ways around it. Nike and Adidas apps are... functional. Best bet is the local lotto at your sneaker shop.

This is to say that this NEEDS to be the system Nintendo/gamestop employs. All week prior to release you can stop in, enter a lotto. The day of, you get a call, you confirm, show up, pick up, etc. If you don't, someone else gets picked. It's the only logical way to do this crap rather than people rushing and creating huge lines and destroying websites.

The NES classic broke me. I had jumped through hoops for their shit for years and got hooked on amiibos like crack.

Nintendo's no stock scalper bullshit replaced decades of joy and nostalgia with hatred. I just let it all go and wondered why I even still cared about them.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Man, people really do harbor the strangest grudges, huh?

Salty as fuck. Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of exclusivity. I wonder if he thinks about writing a similar article about a club if the bouncer snubs him.

molnizzle

I don't understand how selling fewer products makes Nintendo more money than selling more products, assuming the price of the product remains unchanged.

They never have excess inventory. They order a small amount of hardware and sell it all at a profit, while generating tons of buzz due to how rare the thing is. It's basically an elaborate marketing campaign at the expense of the fans.

SirShandy

It doesn't help that Nintendo is completely opaque about all this. Will they make more? Is it a limited, 5 month sell period like the NES classic? Will the ROMs that are on this machine also get ported over to the switch VC mode?

Nobody knows and Nintendo won't tell you, so everyone makes the assumption that this will only be available for an extremely limited time and quantity so if you miss out, you have lost your shot forever.

Just Nintendo simply saying "We aren't going to halt production on these, we will make more over the next 12 months it just takes time" would have gone a long way.

They've stated publicly that they plan to produce them throughout 2017 but not beyond this year.

oti

Banned
This situation is terrible all around for you US people. I can't complain about it too much in Europe though. Got three pre-orders locked in and it was fairly hassle free.

I just don't understand why Nintendo and only seemingly Nintendo has trouble keeping up with demand in general. They couldn't keep up with amiibos,they couldn't keep up with NES Mini heck for a period of time they couldn't even have n3DS XL in stock.

They are very conservative, undership to a hilarious degree and sometimes they're just incompetent. That's all there is to this.

Megatron

blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

What hours should retailers release them in? They will sell out in minutes at any time. The EC had a tough break with Amazon and BB going up after midnight, but Walmart released at 1:00pm and was sold out in seconds.

And bundling is deplorable, but if nintendo made enough stock, no one woukd bundle.

It all comes down to Nintendo being at fault. You could give them something of a pass on the nes classic, being conservative with demand, but they have no excuse this time.

OrochiJR

Did Nintendo fire their supply chain people after Wii U? It's been amateur hour ever since Amiibo.

That's the impression I have gotten too. I was able to get all of the limited edition games i wanted on Wii U without a hassle, but I fear I might not be present for the ~15 minute window it will take for the Fire Emblem Warriors LE to be sold out on amazon. Part of me wants to say fuck this scalper-friendly, overprotective-fanboy-breeding company, but their games are quality products most of the time, so I guess I'll put up with it :/

Clockwork

DerZuhälter;246737540 said:
Salty as fuck. Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of exclusivity. I wonder if he thinks about writing a similar article about a club if the bouncer snubs him.

Exclusivity? This is an $80 toy. There should be nothing exclusive about it.

Nintendo could meet demand if they gauged it remotely accurately and manufactured accordingly.

This. I'm sorry but how many more excuses are we going to have from people when yet again, Nintendo underships a product. They're still doing it with Amiibo figures, 3 years since they started doing them. They had these same stock issues with the NES Classic and didn't learn a damn thing. At some point you have to wonder if they're doing this on purpose, because I find it hard to believe that company of their size can so consistently fail to estimate demand of their own major products for the past 3 years.

This is actually one way to handle it. Would orders be limited to 1-2 a pre order?

I posted this on the previous page. Here's exactly what they should do:

Nah, there's a way to do it, but it would take some genuine planning, so it won't happen. This product isn't important enough for Nintendo long-term.

Nintendo could open pre-orders on their website 3-4 months in advance for 24 hours, require at least a $100 deposit immediately that is non-refundable save for the $20 overcharge after the item has shipped, and take as many pre-orders as possible during the entire 24 hour period.

Heck, they could extend the timeframe for ordering the item indefinitely if they utilized a waiting list and informed consumers that they may have to wait a few weeks or months to obtain one, but they will be guaranteed the product eventually.

WTF is wrong with you and everyone else who keeps giving Nintendo a pass? Nintendo controls when they can put up preorders. Period. Stop making excuses for them.

TB12

Banned
This situation is terrible all around for you US people. I can't complain about it too much in Europe though. Got three pre-orders locked in and it was fairly hassle free.

They are very conservative, undership to a hilarious degree and sometimes they're just incompetent. That's all there is to this.

Europe gaf here, yup got it pre order 6 weeks ago...
A bit expensive "90 euro" , but i need it :)

The preorder system is fubar but I was able to nab both the NES and SNES classic via text updates and luck. And some friends waited in line on launch day for the NES classic and got one.

It's not impossible. Just gotta put in a little extra effort if you really want one.

Chindogg

They never have excess inventory. They order a small amount of hardware and sell it all at a profit, while generating tons of buzz due to how rare the thing is. It's basically an elaborate marketing campaign at the expense of the fans.

They had a shitton of Wii Us and Animal Crossing Amiibos. This doesn't always happen and people who think it's somehow deliberate consistently miss the mark.

finalflame

Gold Member
Voting with your wallet is not an option in this situation. If you don't buy the console, someone else will. There's a finite number of them, and they will all be spoken for.

Correct. Which is why the hilarious comments about how people will "stick it" to Nintendo in this thread are, well, hilarious. Nintendo is making money off the NES and SNES classic, but this is way more of a marketing tool to draw attention to them as a brand and get people paying attention to the rest of what they're making.

Nintendo has much more to gain with hype and shortages than they do just mass-producing these. Nobody is entitled to own one, and this isn't exclusive to the world of consoles and gaming -- there are plenty of other premium products that are exclusive and hard to attain, and not everyone who wants one will get one, they just cost more than most people on this board will ever be able to pay (see: extremely limited/one-off hypercars).

You can be upset about it, but Nintendo can do this however they feel is most beneficial to them, as a company. Some lucky few will get one. Some will not. Screaming at the top of your lungs because you didn't get one isn't gonna help you or hurt Nintendo. There are marketing/supply chain/branding/merchandising experts at Nintendo much better informed than people posting in this thread who are making these decisions. And if you're the kind of person who will wave off Nintendo for life because of a move like this, you're in the minority of the minority (a small chunk of what is an already small chunk, enthusiasts), and your lost business is nothing to Nintendo.

Nintendo deserves every bit of negative press over the way they are handling this product (and the previous product). I'm glad Patrick is calling this out on them and I wish/hope that others will follow suit as well.

The idea is that maybe, just maybe Nintendo is taken to task for this, they'll wake up and actually produce a proper amount of these products. If consumers and journalists don't speak up about things, nothing will ever change.

You think Nintendo was blind to the NES classic? This helps them far more than it hurts. People who will actually care about this kind of "negative press" are in a super small minority of Nintendo's target audience. GAF thinks itself and its favorite outlets representative of the gaming populace as a whole, but it is anything but.

C-Sword

Well, I'm from Quebec, they're not releasing it here because Nintendo wouldn't pay the extra buck to include french instructions, I'm saving $80 and time.

Phatcorns

Yeah, this shit is OLD, Nintendo. Come on. We're literally your most die hard fans. I just do not get why you do this to us.

oti

Banned
Europe gaf here, yup got it pre order 6 weeks ago...
A bit expensive "90 euro" , but i need it :)

I got one from Amazon Germany, one from Amazon France and one from Saturn.

Amazon Germany wants 99 Euros though. What's up with that?

I decided not to bother when I realized it was just a marketing gimmick by Nintendo to strengthen their brand rather than an honest attempt to satisfy fans like me who grew up on the NES and SNES.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This may be a stupid question. But, given the demand, would it have been in Nintendo's interest to take pre-orders earlier and produced units based on that number? Instead of the other way around? Is that a thing in this world?

Or raise the price to $129.

Top Bottom