• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7: Beginning Hour Midnight Version [Final Update] Cryptic Grave Puzzle

Wanderer5

In a follow-up to my last post, I found a video on YouTube where someone does a speed run and gets the dirty coin on PC. I tried it step-for-step on PS4 and got the dirty coin. In the video, they don't get hit by the molded and therefore get the True ending, but in my run-through I screwed up and did get infected; still got all of the giggles and the murder spots (and the coin) though. If you want to watch the video, here's the link.

If you just want the cliff notes, here's the steps they took:

I hope this helps others who were having as much trouble as I was!

Tried and follow this now, but couldn't get the 5th giggle.:( Went through the vhs then, and still nothing. I'll try again later, but this is kind of lame.>.<

Edit: Eh just went and tried a quick run through anyway lol. Went through the vhs twice, which I saw the ghost least once, maybe twice, and I was able to get the last giggle then. Sheesh.XD

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tried and follow this now, but couldn't get the 5th giggle.:( Went through the vhs then, and still nothing. I'll try again later, but this is kind of lame.>.<

Edit: Eh just went and tried a quick run through anyway lol. Went through the vhs twice, which I saw the ghost least once, maybe twice, and I was able to get the last giggle then. Sheesh.XD

In the latest route, you only have to pick up the phone in the attic to trigger the fifth giggle. Do it right after pointing at the fourth murder spot. No need to watch the VHS at all (but you do need to grab the VHS tape from the cupboard to get the second giggle to trigger).

Wanderer5

In the latest route, you only have to pick up the phone in the attic to trigger the fifth giggle. Do it right after pointing at the fourth murder spot. No need to watch the VHS at all (but you do need to grab the VHS tape from the cupboard to get the second giggle to trigger).

That is what I exactly did, and it just didn't want to do it.

Mr_Zombie

Hey, it's Pete!

It's probably some viral marketing, but I wonder what he mean by "get this to XXX".
Also, AngryJoe but no NeoGAF? Or at least DuskGolem? DuskGolem did most of the RE7 marketing for Capcom here on GAF and actually got people interested in the game when it still looked like another indie FPS hide&seek horror.

Jharp

Absolutely cannot get the third giggle at the painting to trigger and I'm not going to waste my weekend restarting this fucking demo over and over until it works. Tried it half a dozen times, tried restarting the VHS tape and spotting the ghost, tried doing it in different orders, tried doing it in orders suggested by people on Reddit that worked 100% of the time. Fuck it.

Anyone know if you can download an existing dirty coin save file and import it, like you could download another person's Ground Zeros save and import it into MGS5?

Dsyndrome

Absolutely cannot get the third giggle at the painting to trigger and I'm not going to waste my weekend restarting this fucking demo over and over until it works. Tried it half a dozen times, tried restarting the VHS tape and spotting the ghost, tried doing it in different orders, tried doing it in orders suggested by people on Reddit that worked 100% of the time. Fuck it.

Anyone know if you can download an existing dirty coin save file and import it, like you could download another person's Ground Zeros save and import it into MGS5?
Painting didn't work for me initially, read somewhere that you have to have the valve handle in your inventory. Went back through and never picked up the gun and it worked for me.

Painting didn't work for me initially, read somewhere that you have to have the valve handle in your inventory. Went back through and never picked up the gun and it worked for me.

I usually grab the attic key before tackling the 3rd painting. Make sure you grab the lockpick on the little desk thing outside the basement door to get the Axe.

Jharp

I usually grab the attic key before tackling the 3rd painting. Make sure you grab the lockpick on the little desk thing outside the basement door to get the Axe.

Tried both of these my initial few times. I also have seen a bunch of people say shooting the painting worked for them which means they did it without the valve handle in their inventory because they used it to get the pistol, AND they did it after getting the pistol.

Also tried with and without the attic key. Only trigger that seems to always work for me is on the second giggle. I can't get it to trigger unless I head down to the basement first, but once I do, it always works for me.

Why this isn't a simple if->then process is beyond me. It's already cryptic enough. You'd think all the definitive triggers would have been datamined out with a PC release, too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Follow this video guide 100%, do not deviate from it at all, don't pick up anything he doesn't, don't interact with anything he doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNeaQB4WPwI

Jharp

Follow this video guide 100%, do not deviate from it at all, don't pick up anything he doesn't, don't interact with anything he doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNeaQB4WPwI

I think my issue with the third giggle was a bug because reinstalling fixed it. I was able to consistently trigger it by hitting the painting with the axe so long as I'd solved the second murder. But then I couldn't get the fifth giggle to trigger after several different tries.

Ended up using this one and it worked:
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentev...ep_by_step_guide_to_completing_finger_murder/

Also, this is the first guide that I've seen that doesn't suggest watching the VHS at all. It tell you to GET the VHS tape, which I had to do in order to ensure the second giggle triggered every time, but this is the first guide that doesn't mention watching it.

Interestingly, it's also the first guide that outright notes the Dirty Coin is completed even if the monster hits you. Every other guide seemed to mention needing to start over, because you had to escape out the attic to get the Dirty Coin save, but this guy says you can do it if you get hit. Useful, too, because I got hit, but kept on. Eventually, the fifth giggle triggered without any issue whatsoever. Solved the murder, grabbed the coin, got the infected ending, and the game said I had gotten a Dirty Coin to transfer to the main game.

So there ya go.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Does anyone know where saves are stored on PC? I want to delete the demo but keep the saved data to transfer the coin tomorrow.

Edit: Found it! :) It's in "userdata" in the Steam folder.

Jawmuncher

The demo got an update. As did the base game. Any ideas? (It still says spring for not a hero). It says bug fixes but it's odd to do that for the demo of all thing this late in the game. I can't even think of any bugs it had.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The demo got an update. As did the base game. Any ideas? (It still says spring for not a hero). It says bug fixes but it's odd to do that for the demo of all thing this late in the game. I can't even think of any bugs it had.

The biggest bug on PS4 was the thing where if you installed a DLC while the game was running, it only half-recognized it as being there. Meaning you ended up staring at an never-ending loading bar on some content, and instant crashes on others.

A situation only rectified by performing a full install of the base game, and all DLC.

It was pretty damn bad.

Top Bottom