• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 2, 2017

cilonen

You've got to help me guys, every time I go near a shop that sells video games I black out and wake up at home with another copy of GTA V...

Seriously though, how is this happening? The legs on this thing are unreal!

T.O.P

Banned
Resident Evil 4 sold less than 80,000 units in 2005.

I have some GameCube 2005 software data:

Resident Evil 4 < 80,000

As you can see by 2005 Gamecube was already done, these software sales are really depressing.

That is depressing allright, wow

Shame, probably my favourite console still :/

noobie

Banned
Since it is a boring week, there isn't anything interesting to comment, fortunately next weeks (months) will be fun, I repost the UK 2016 yearly chart.

[GfK Chart-Track] UK Yearly Chart - 2016

N7sq6pt.jpg
Thank you Bruno for data.

A small question, With such a small increase in PS4 software revenue and Xbox ONE revenue going down, have we hit the peak for software revenues for current generation platforms? Or do you think that Scorpio and large number of exclusives for PlayStation will give us another year of software revenue growth?

Bruno MB

Thank you Bruno for data.

A small question, With such a small increase in PS4 software revenue and Xbox ONE revenue going down, have we hit the peak for software revenues for current generation platforms? Or do you think that Scorpio and large number of exclusives for PlayStation will give us another year of software revenue growth?

This generation is being very frontloaded, the market leader PlayStation 4 basically remained flat last year. A 5% grow for a system that by the end of 2016 was only 3 years and 1 month old is very low. It is true that if we take into account that digital share is still growing every year, then in reality that 5% grow was probably closer to 10%.

The big problem for growth is that there isn't software that can attract users beyond the core console audience and evidently PlayStation 4 Pro and Scorpio won't broaden the market.

Edit: I just realized that that chart is about units sales, not revenue. By revenue both systems were down.

PlayStation 4

2016 - £374.02m (-3.55%)
2015 - £387.77m
2014 - £275.87m

Xbox One

2016 - £281.68m (-10.95%)
2015 - £316.33m
2014 - £228.47m

Loudninja

So how much did Gravity Rush sell in the UK for launch?

The vita version I mean if it charted.

Edit : see the Ps4 version did not do well at all.

Bruno MB

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices) Week 3 Year 2017 Ending 21st January

Another week at the top for 'GTA V'

&#8216;Grand Theft Auto V' holds on to top spot for a second week, recording a total of 11 weeks at No1 &#8211; the most weeks at No1 in the All Formats Chart for any GTA game. &#8216;FIFA 17' climbs from No3 to No2, swapping places with &#8216;Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare' which drops to No3.

Ubisoft's &#8216;Steep' rises two places to No7, matching its highest position, reached back in W51 2016. &#8216;Overwatch' jumps back in to the Top 10, up 8 places to No10. The last time it was in the Top 10 was back in W45 last year when it reached No7.

New releases finally start to make an appearance in the Top 40 with a debut at No13 for Square-Enix/Nintendo's &#8216;Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King' on 3DS, while Sony's &#8216;Gravity Rush 2' on PS4 enters at No16. Next week the chart will get invaded by zombies as &#8216;Resident Evil VII: Biohazard' is set to break loose.

1 1 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PEGI 18+ ROCKSTAR
3 2 FIFA 17 PEGI 3+ EA SPORTS
2 3 CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE PEGI 18+ ACTIVISION
4 4 BATTLEFIELD 1 PEGI 18+ EA GAMES
6 5 WATCH DOGS 2 PEGI 18+ UBISOFT
7 6 ROCKET LEAGUE PEGI 3+ 505 GAMES
9 7 STEEP PEGI 12+ UBISOFT
5 8 FORZA HORIZON 3 PEGI 3+ MICROSOFT
8 9 MAFIA III PEGI 18+ 2K
18 10 OVERWATCH PEGI 12+ BLIZZARD
13 11 WWE 2K17 PEGI 16+ 2K
11 12 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION PEGI 7+ MICROSOFT
__ 13 DRAGON QUEST VIII JOURNEY OF CURSED KING PEGI 12+ SQUARE ENIX
17 14 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. PEGI 18+ BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
12 15 POKEMON SUN PEGI 7+ NINTENDO
__ 16 GRAVITY RUSH 2 PEGI 12+ SONY COMPUTER ENT.
14 17 LEGO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS PEGI 7+ WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
21 18 FINAL FANTASY XV PEGI 16+ SQUARE ENIX
22 19 POKEMON MOON PEGI 7+ NINTENDO
15 20 TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION PEGI 18+ UBISOFT

http://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/01/another-week-top-gta-v

It looks like at best 3,000 units for Dragon Quest VIII and Gravity Rush 2. It is highly likely that Gravity Rush 2 had a worse debut than Gravity Rush for PlayStation Vita.

Hasney

What were you expecting? Only two days and it's the UK.
Games like Gravity Rush won't set the charts on fire.

Set the charts on fire? This one didn't even let out a fart.

I expect Sony to at least slightly promote their damn games instead of hoping their smaller games get lucky and find their audience like Until Dawn did. There is no way it should be doing worse than a Vita version.

It looks like at best 3,000 units for Dragon Quest VIII and Gravity Rush 2. It is highly likely that Gravity Rush 2 had a worse debut than Gravity Rush for PlayStation Vita.

Gravity Rush 2 being £45 did it no favours, similar pricing to R&C would have been better for this type of title. £19.99 in two weeks is possible.

Is it possible to tell is every GR2 UK sale was to someone on GAF.

All I can say is, I'm a huge Gravity Rush fan and even I didn't buy 2 last week. I'm not paying ridiculous amounts of money for software, no matter how excited I am for it.

But yeah, it's been clear for a while that it was going to flop hard over here.

It's worth mentioning, I pre-ordered Gravity Rush for the Vita weeks before it came out, since it was going for £25 at most retailers. Not the £46 asking price that GR2 is currently being sold at.

Ooof. I was one of the pessimist who thought top 10 was an impossibility but not even top 15.

Anyway let's hope other countries can pull their weight.

Mokubba

Price definitely didn't help even though it sounds like it's a big game from the reviews.

Luckily Amazon came through with that £10 off offer so I was able to get it for £40 and Persona 5 for £45.

1 1 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PEGI 18+ ROCKSTAR
3 2 FIFA 17 PEGI 3+ EA SPORTS
2 3 CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE PEGI 18+ ACTIVISION
4 4 BATTLEFIELD 1 PEGI 18+ EA GAMES
6 5 WATCH DOGS 2 PEGI 18+ UBISOFT
7 6 ROCKET LEAGUE PEGI 3+ 505 GAMES
9 7 STEEP PEGI 12+ UBISOFT
5 8 FORZA HORIZON 3 PEGI 3+ MICROSOFT
8 9 MAFIA III PEGI 18+ 2K
18 10 OVERWATCH PEGI 12+ BLIZZARD
13 11 WWE 2K17 PEGI 16+ 2K
11 12 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION PEGI 7+ MICROSOFT
__ 13 DRAGON QUEST VIII JOURNEY OF CURSED KING PEGI 12+ SQUARE ENIX
17 14 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. PEGI 18+ BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
12 15 POKEMON SUN PEGI 7+ NINTENDO
__ 16 GRAVITY RUSH 2 PEGI 12+ SONY COMPUTER ENT.
14 17 LEGO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS PEGI 7+ WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
21 18 FINAL FANTASY XV PEGI 16+ SQUARE ENIX
22 19 POKEMON MOON PEGI 7+ NINTENDO
15 20 TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION PEGI 18+ UBISOFT

http://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/01/another-week-top-gta-v

Thank for the info, Bruno.

~3000 unit for both Dragon Quest VIII and Gravity Rush 2 it's a little disappointment. It's like ReCore bad, isn't it? I really want all those games to succeed, but apparently not price, nor good reviews can't help hem

Thank for the info, Bruno.

~3000 unit for both Dragon Quest VIII and Gravity Rush 2 it's a little disappointment. It's like ReCore bad, isn't it? I really want all those games to succeed, but apparently not price, nor good reviews can't help hem

It's the UK… hopelfully mainland Europa can help a little.

Ferr986

Why GR2 should be lower priced? It looks amazing, its a new game, not a port or remake, and its packed with content.

Either way, sucks it didnt sell much, but I expected that.

Never expected a lot for GR2, maybe 10,000 units if everything went really well.
Anyway that's the benefit of having a global system like the PS4, hopefully RoTW helps contribute here and there.

I'm picking up my copy this week.

Raylan

Banned
Set the charts on fire? This one didn't even let out a fart.

I expect Sony to at least slightly promote their damn games instead of hoping their smaller games get lucky and find their audience like Until Dawn did. There is no way it should be doing worse than a Vita version.
The good old "don't promote the game". For a niche game like Gravity Rush 2? lmao.... it did what most people expected. These games don't sell that much. Especially not in the UK market for £45. You can "promote" it as much as you want.
Why GR2 should be lower priced? It looks amazing, its a new game, not a port or remake, and its packed with content.
Not enough guns, cars and "realistic" looking dudes.

The good old "don't promote the game". For a niche game like Gravity Rush 2? lmao.... it did what most people expected. These games don't sell that much. Especially not in the UK market for £45. You can "promote" it as much as you want.

Why is Gravity Rush more niche than The Last Guardian?

Hasney

Agreed on TLG point and hey, that got an advert! If it can't break 3k, it's probably not worth the distribution at this point, so they may as well make games like that digital only in this country then if they're not going to bother.

Of course it's not going to do bananas regardless, but it was outsold by a Vita game in the same franchise. Sales have been left on the table.

GeeTeeCee

The good old "don't promote the game". For a niche game like Gravity Rush 2? lmao.... it did what most people expected. These games don't sell that much. Especially not in the UK market. You can "promote" it as much as you want.

I take a pretty cynical view of the general British public (and let's face it, recent history supports my cynicism). If you market something long enough, you can make the public buy or do pretty much anything.

Even the tiniest fraction of the money spent on an Uncharted 4-style tv campaign could have done a whole lot of good for GR2.

Raylan

Banned
The Last Guardian at least had 9 billion years of marketing.
I take a pretty cynical view of the general British public (and let's face it, recent history supports my cynicism). If you market something long enough, you can make the public buy or do pretty much anything.
Yeah, sadly, games as Gravity Rush... no so much, as it seems.

Hasney

I admit that even I didn't help matters: I had to choose between GR2 and Yakuza 0, and went for Yakuza. At least I won't have to feel the pain of Y0 flopping until next week...

I'm expecting
Read: hoping
that at least we get some PR saying it's a series best debut.

geordiemp

Way more people worldwide give shit about TLG than GR2 and actually know it exist. Not even one big youtube channel or one big twitch streamer have been playing GR2 unlike TLG.

Poor Kat.

I downloaded the Gr2 demo and played through it a couple of times, the movement although I could do it just never resonated with me, it just never clicked and dis-orientating having stuff upside down and sideways.

If you could fly but the world always stayed sky pointing up it would of been better. I really thought it would be an infamous with smoke power movement but it just did not work for me.

Way more people worldwide give shit about TLG than GR2 and actually know it exist. Not even one big youtube channel or one big twitch streamer have been playing GR2 unlike TLG.

Poor Kat.

Oh well hopefully Sony sees the positive critical reception and gives it another go. Being the sequel to a Vita game certainly didn't help.

Raylan

Banned
I downloaded the Gr2 demo and played through it a couple of times, the movement although I could do it just never resonated with me, it just never clicked and dis-orientating having stuff upside down and sideways.

That's how it has to be. It's Gravity Rush and not Superman.
If it doesn't click, it doesn't click.

silva1991

If you could fly but the world always stayed sky pointing up it would of been better. I really thought it would be an infamous with smoke power movement but it just did not work for me.

Well, you can just use gravity kick to fly if you don't want to change the direction of gravity.

YbpoVQA.gif

3MH72SQ.gif

iEDDxYP.gif

credits to Net_Wrecker

Top Bottom