• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over-level, under-level, on-level: Which do you prefer in most games?

silva1991

If bosses are BS and unfair? over leveled.

I mostly like to play on level and if I loved a challenging game so much, I might play it under leveled sometimes.

On-level if the game has good difficulty, under-leveled if the game is too easy. Can't handle games that are too easy and/or don't have good (mainly movement) mechanics anymore.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
On-level if I'm happy with the game's difficulty tuning.

Over-level if I'm not really interested in the gameplay and just want to see the story.

Under-level to on-level in Soulsborne games.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Playing through DQ8 on 3DS atm and I'm just enjoying battles as much as I can get. I know that in the long run this could work against me as it makes things a lot easier (and a tad more boring) but these days it seems like I'd rather coast through fights than struggle.

If you're given the chance to just grind endlessly in a game, which do you prefer for the long-term of said game? And are there any games that you prefer to do differently?

DQ, I automatically grind 5 levels before I move to the next area.

Most RPG's I just let things progress naturally taking on every fight that comes along.

LordOfChaos

On-level, I like climax-ey endings and so I hate the last few challenges or bosses in a game becoming pushovers.

Alduin was so easy I spawned 4 extra dragons in for the S&G

Goldboy

On-level for 99% of games. Making a game trivial by overleveling usually bores me but I'm not really a fan of the struggle of being underleveled.

Bitanator

buffs/debuffs and smart equipment usage makes DQ much more fun. Grinding is a pain unless you are hunting metal slime family because those are always fun to kill

Over, all the time, especially in souls game. There is a satisfying click when you hit the "im not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me" threshold. Or walking around skyrim as the baddest arch-mage there ever was, zapping bandits in milliseconds who decided they were gonna give you a hard time today

JBwB

On level for the most part. However if a game has a lot of enjoyable side content then I don't mind being over-leveled.

Luminaire

image.php

You would.

I prefer to be on-level, or at least not over-leveled. That said, I'm fine with revisiting an area and destroying it.

Burt

Getting overleveled literally ruins games for me.

Most recently, Grandia 2 really shot itself in the foot when my love for the fantastic battle system turned literally every fight into a triviality, at which point I had no choice but to focus on the less-stellar other aspects of the game.

I mean, it's still a very good game, but a lot of its verve drains out once you can one-spell your way through combat.

Ancirawr

When a game sucks me in or I like the mechanics and/or style, I tend to become over-leveled as I don't actively skip battles or run away. However, in RPGs especially where the story is literally all I am playing for, I do become under-leveled gradually and sometimes eventually hit a difficulty spike that is especially terrible because I avoided far too much combat.

It's always a bummer when I accidentally do this but I can think of a number of games in my backlog where I stumbled into this problem.

I dig slightly underleveled for most games, not so low that I'm getting instarekt and lightly chipping at health bars but low enough to keep me on my toes

Late game I'd generally prefer overlevelled though, at that point I want to just destroy everything

On or slightly underleveled. I hate it when a game seems like it might have an interesting battle system, but any decisions I make are trivial because I've become overpowered from doing sidequests (and even sometimes just from normal play!) This is especially annoying since, if I'm enjoying a game's combat, I'll probably be more inclined to seek out the side content.

I greatly prefer it when leveling/progression systems don't necessarily make you that much stronger, but just give you access to more abilities that add more variety or options to combat. I also think more rpgs should have very heavy experience scaling that makes it very hard to become too overpowered. But I suppose grinding and becoming strong is part of the appeal for some people, so devs wouldn't want to take that away from them.

Under or somewhat close to on-level. Some of my most satisfying moments in JRPGs have been just scraping by and having to use every trick I have available.

Currently doing a level 1 challenge in FF XV and am enjoying myself a lot more. Feels like every piece of gear I find and meal I eat is crucial to my survival. I am sure I will hit a roadblock eventually in the endgame but it's a lot more thrilling than my normal two playthroughs which were a mess difficulty-wise. Nixperience band and the AP gaining fanfare accessories are a game-changer imo.

jackal27

Banned
I play at my own pace and usually get over leveled. I kind of hate when things get too easy, but I can't deny that it's awesome to beat a final boss in like 2 or 3 hits though.

morpix

I tend to do all the dungeons and clear the map in Diablo before moving to the next big area. Same with all games of that ilk, so overleveled is probably how I play 90% of the time.

arcticice

on-Level or a bit over-level. Don't want to ruin the game for myself by going above and beyond or by lagging behind way too much

Top Bottom