• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eklesp

Serial Experiments Lain 01

A show about a girl on acid.

Scenes are super bright and washed out. Reminds me of Evangelion. Dads got a killer battlestation. Love seeing the old tech.

lain-is-a-bear.jpg

Watched Ergo Proxy not too long ago so I can appreciate the dark weirdness.

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 29 Valkyrie Awakens (Engdub)

Sturgeon was good at the beginning.

I always like Garnett episodes because she feels like there is so much heart in how he had to fight from the bottom all the way to the top. Her loyal fans are great as well adding to the charm.

Looking forward to engdub Charo Ace.

Cornbread78

Princess Nine ep.5
Well, they got a slugger to join finally, and they inherited a manager for the team, lol. They still need more players though. When does the tsundere tennis star join in the fun, lol. I love the tone of this show and it's been a fun watch so far.

I knew about Tsukuyo before watching any of the episodes because I know she's apparently the character people ship the most with Gintoki. I totally see why now. The whole exchange of Gin completely failing in deflecting the kunai, and Tsukuyo doing her best to humor him for the sake of his ego is the funnniest gag in the series so far.

Narag

Princess Nine ep.5

Well, they got a slugger to join finally, and they inherited a manager for the team, lol. They still need more layers though. When does the tsundere tennis star join in the fun, lol. I love the tone of this show and it's been a fun watch so far.

Soon.

zulux21

*finishes clannad afterstory*

even knowing it's coming the feels are still there... though the final episode is just odd given that the second half of it is completely pointless.

*sees clannad games are on sale on steam*
*buys them*

I wonder how different things are in the VN

Cornbread78

even knowing it's coming the feels are still there... though the final episode is just odd given that the second half of it is completely pointless.
*buys them*

Seriously, I can watch those final 6-8 episodes through the ending a million times and still tear up.

Especially,
ep.16, 18, the end of 21 & the beginning of 22.

I just had to go listen to Palm of This Tiny Hand, and A Girls Fantasy again.... beautiful music.

Then I had to listen to Secret Base and Last Train Home from Anohana. Time to cry myself to sleep tonight.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 7

Akko's problem was never drive or motivation per se, but how she could never stay focused on what she's supposed to do. That's mostly fixed this episode, which is progress. And she is able to cast some magic, enough to get mostly C's. So again, progress. But she's still awful at just about everything magic related. I guess there's only so much she can do when she's cramming everything the day before. Ursula somehow comes across as an even worse teacher than Akko is a student. Didn't give her enough attention beforehand. Couldn't give her proper instruction afterwards.

Not that the school gets off scot-free, seeing how Akko was never informed of the intricacies of the philosophy class. And in desperation she turns back to her old habits of doing whatever it takes to get by. At least she's kind enough to people she's just met, and she's lucky Pisces is pretty nice. Fish antics were certainly amusing. I'm curious about Diana's prediction. Was she shocked because she didn't think Akko would leave (which could have a dozen interpretations), or is there something else there?

Chindogg

Sword Art Online 1

I blame Cornbread for this.

Little Witch Academia 7

Akko's problem was never drive or motivation per se, but how she could never stay focused on what she's supposed to do. That's mostly fixed this episode, which is progress. And she is able to cast some magic, enough to get mostly C's. So again, progress. But she's still awful at just about everything magic related. I guess there's only so much she can do when she's cramming everything the day before. Ursula somehow comes across as an even worse teacher than Akko is a student. Didn't give her enough attention beforehand. Couldn't give her proper instruction afterwards.

Not that the school gets off scot-free, seeing how Akko was never informed of the intricacies of the philosophy class. And in desperation she turns back to her old habits of doing whatever it takes to get by. At least she's kind enough to people she's just met, and she's lucky Pisces is pretty nice. Fish antics were certainly amusing. I'm curious about Diana's prediction. Was she shocked because she didn't think Akko would leave (which could have a dozen interpretations), or is there something else there?

I always wondered if Akko suffered from ADD. Growing up with ADD, I can relate to a lot of her quirks when it comes to having a general lack of focus despite enthusiasm.

Cornbread78

Sports rivalries burn brighter than potential future fame.

The question that will e answered is it about the sport or about the man because if it's about the man, uh oh... She must know her place by now..

Yeah I don't think Rei ever told her about his personal life. So unless she went into detective mode, idk how she would know anything. His family doesn't even live in that area.

Yeah, that kinda surprised me, so now I really want to know!

Crap, I just watched the ending of Anohana because I'm a masochist.

I need to find another anime like it and Clannad to watch.

Sword Art Online 1
I blame Cornbread for this.

I bear that burden for you.

Now, all I'll say is that if you go in looking to nitpick and hate it, than your will already kill the experience.

Just have fun with it.

zulux21

The question that will e answered is it about the sport or about the man because if it's about the man, uh oh... She must know her place by now..

Yeah, that kinda surprised me, so now I really want to know!

Crap, I just watched the ending of Anohana because I'm a masochist.

I need to find another anime like it and Clannad to watch.

Have you watched Nana or Honey and clover yet?

they go for much different feels, but still can hit hard with feels from time to time.

ooh or one that isn't recommend enough Full Moon.
12 year old girl with throat cancer.
that is totally a way to go :p (note... for the most part this is a pretty upbeat and happy series lol)

if you want more like clannad angel beats is always a fine choice.

Cornbread78

A lot has to do with the mom.

Figured as much after their convo last episode.

Have you watched Nana or Honey and clover yet?
they go for much different feels, but still can hit hard with feels from time to time.
ooh or one that isn't recommend enough Full Moon.
12 year old girl with throat cancer.
that is totally a way to go :p (note... for the most part this is a pretty upbeat and happy series lol)
if you want more like clannad angel beats is always a fine choice.

Nana is the only one I haven't watched yet. It may be time to start though..

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is beautifully painful btw. . I loved it, but damn, that was rough at times.

zulux21

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is beautifully painful btw. . I loved it, but damn, that was rough at times.

oh... I am not saying full moon doesn't have some serious feel moments... just saying for a show about a girl who has throat cancer... it's a pretty upbeat singing series lol.

As for nana I will just warn you of a few things.
1. it takes a little bit to get going.
2. the ending is a bit painful as they were planning on making a second season (it ends well enough especially given the circumstances but could have been better)
3. there is no second season.
4. you can't read the manga to get an ending either as there is no ending there either. (the artist got sick and went on hiatus. She hasn't returned many years later, but instead teases new art here and there but refuses to confirm that she isn't going to finish the series making the fans continue to have to have hope :( )

that all being said it's still easily in the top 10 of my favorite romance anime.
and in the top 10 for my most listened to anime soundtracks.

so much good music @_@

I was hooked for more as soon as I heard the opening

has some great endings as well (not the first ending... like the third I think....)

The Vision of Escaflowne - 13

bigbosssalute.gif

Wasn't expecting the Duke to go out like that. Chid may not have been his real son, but he sure treated him like he was.

This show is really delivering on the fantasy mecha warfare aspects. Also SHIT YES at Van going by true mecha principles by vowing to BECOME his giant robot and not just use it.
Though that may have ended up backfiring on him.

*buys them*

The feels will always be there. It's just a beautiful series with some heartfelt and great writing. All the character development really sells it every time. So good. ;_;

Seriously, I can watch those final 6-8 episodes through the ending a million times and still tear up.

Especially,

I just had to go listen to Palm of This Tiny Hand, and A Girls Fantasy again.... beautiful music.

Then I had to listen to Secret Base and Last Train Home from Anohana. Time to cry myself to sleep tonight.

I am getting chills. Clannad is too good.

jman2050

*buys them*

The art is worse, events leading up to the ending make far more sense and actually explain things more than "not at all."

The ending itself is still terrible.

Kyou's route is still a waste of time that best girl didn't deserve.

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 9
I appreciate that Yui isn't just leaning into being a trash monster anymore, I mean she's still a trash monster but at least she's trying to be a functioning human. Also YuiAzu was pretty dope, seeing musicianship being the focus of a storyline not involving the entirety of the band was a nice extra touch to the first kinda serious exam episode yet.

zulux21

The art is worse, events leading up to the ending make far more sense and actually explain things more than "not at all."

The ending itself is still terrible.

Kyou's route is still a waste of time that best girl didn't deserve.

eh... the ending is hinted at through out most of the series (especially the second season) and is explained to a degree. I can understand taking issues with it though.

also Kyou is just a horrible character.... but really in general I don't like girls who are violent for the sake of being violent :/
same reason tomayo isn't any good either as her violence "humor" is also just horrible and should have also easily gotten her banned from school.

it's the main reason I can't watch working as I hate the female lead.... she is one of the worst characters in any anime I have ever seen and completely ruins a show that otherwise i enjoy the cast of :/

Xamdou

Just watched Your Name movie from my flight back home from Hawaii and I really enjoyed it! Easily made my top three Anime list!

The Vision of Escaflowne - 14

YO. NOW THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL HIGH-QUALITY MECHA.

So we have Van all injured because he performed a 100% sync with Escaflowne like it was a freaking Evangelion and shared the same wounds with it. Making it so that the only way to heal him was by repairing Escaflowne. Oh, and he feels that too.

As in, he feels buzzsaws, welding torches, and all kinds of other horrible crap assaulting his flesh that's supposed to heal him as his mecha is repaired. Basically torturing him while healing him at the same time. That whole scene was super uncomfortable.

But it all became super satisfying near the end when he got back in the game and starting tearing the place up. Dude was freaking outnumbered ten to one and he just goes off ripping things apart so hard even Dilandau was legit shook. Seriously, the episode ends with Dilandau cowering and running away like a little bitch.

Glad Narag convinced me to get back to the BDs I owned because this show is REALLY picking things up now.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 7

In this episode, Akko made some progress, which is broadly commendable.

Yet, from everything the show has shown me of Akko so far, she really shouldn't be in Luna Nova. She has anti-talent in terms of all things magical and she's always causing disasters - this week she almost kills a teacher. How can this stand? I don't think it matters how much of her heart is in the right place, she's an awful student.

It's funny, because the show makes a passionate defence for why Akko should continue as a student. However, I feel the series has already made (and continues to make every single episode) a much stronger argument for why Akko should be expelled from Luna Nova.

Oh, and Luna Nova has its own problems. Urusula is an terrible mentor. Classes have requirements that are never mentioned to pupils. Akko somehow scores more than an F on a test that she literally cannot perform. What the hell is going on here?

Escaflowne is like the best mixture between mecha and classic fantasy that you could possibly get.

The mecha aren't these giant behemoths that shoot massive laser beams or make needlessly complex spells. They're basically giant knights, which goes with the fantasy setting perfectly.

They all have this analog-esque feel to them, like you can imagine the complex machinery going at work inside of them instead of what you'd usually assume goes on in something like a Gundam show.

Oh, and most of them have capes, making them even cooler.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[Little Witch Academia] - 7

In this episode, Akko made some progress, which is broadly commendable.

Yet, from everything the show has shown me of Akko so far, she really shouldn't be in Luna Nova. She has anti-talent in terms of all things magical and she's always causing disasters - this week she almost kills a teacher. How can this stand? I don't think it matters how much of her heart is in the right place, she's an awful student.

It's funny, because the show makes a passionate defence for why Akko should continue as a student. However, I feel the series has already made (and continues to make every single episode) a much stronger argument for why Akko should be expelled from Luna Nova.

Oh, and Luna Nova has its own problems. Urusula is an terrible mentor. Classes have requirements that are never mentioned to pupils. Akko somehow scores more than an F on a test that she literally cannot perform. What the hell is going on here?

★  ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . 
.  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . ...somewhere   ° ☾ °  
¸. ● ¸ .  ★ ° :.  . • °   .  * :.   ★ °● ¸ .   
* ¸.  .in a parallel universe* ● ¸     ° ☾ °☆  .    
★ ★ °. .    . ☾ °☆  . * ● ¸ ..LWA...° ☾ 
★ °● ¸ .   ★ ° :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * was good  

Wanderer5

Little Witch Academia TV #7

K2TBAT2.jpg

Akko's situation literally going down the drain.

Well her development is going along a bit as it should. This week was pretty funny and it was nice to see Professer Pisces after taking notice of her in the first episode.:p

Ursula was both bad and awesome in this episode lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder how Akko feels about eating fish now.

Qurupeke

Little Witch Academia 7

It was okay, I hope they'll continue with Akko improving. It's nice to see that for once she isn't a walking failure.

Chindogg

Sword Art Online 2-6

I enjoy the slow burn of the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, but man this show just randomly gets dark as hell, and the resolutions just happen sometimes. Six episodes in and this has to be one of the most uneven shows I've ever seen.

TheChaos0

Serial Experiments Lain 01

A show about a girl on acid.

Scenes are super bright and washed out. Reminds me of Evangelion. Dads got a killer battlestation. Love seeing the old tech.

Watched Ergo Proxy not too long ago so I can appreciate the dark weirdness.

You are in for a ride...;) Lain has a pretty good atmosphere. Have you seen Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei? You might want to check those out after you finished Lain. Might a well go through the whole ABe trilogy. Even though he's only directly involved with Haibane Renmei, that's how I always thought of the three.

Especially,

Shame the first half of Season 2 was kinda...meh. ;) And then the real Season 2 starts. :O ;_(

Tunoku

I'm having a hard time getting excited about following shows from the current season, so decided to give the Bakuman anime a watch. I read the manga back when it was new but stopped during the
a million monkeys on a million typewriters arc
Anyway, I ended up marathoning the first two seasons and was really impressed how well J.C. adapted it. But given how much I enjoyed shows like Toradora and Prison School, it shouldn't have surprised me.

Bakuman season 3 would be next thing on the list to watch, but from what I've heard it sort of rushes through the second half of the manga. Now I'm considering reading the rest of the manga first before watching the anime. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom