• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - March 2014

Umbasa

My immense backlog remains largely untouched thanks to Dark Souls. Almost every time I take a look at my Steam games list in the hopes of whittling it down, I see Dark Souls sitting there and inevitably put another 30 hours into a new character.

This is the game that will break that cycle! I'm literally scheduling a play through of Dark Souls a couple weeks before this drops, just so that I'm not rusty.

I think I might do the opposite; not play either souls games for a while so DaSII won't be too easy

Not sure how well that'll work lol

Booshka

My immense backlog remains largely untouched thanks to Dark Souls. Almost every time I take a look at my Steam games list in the hopes of whittling it down, I see Dark Souls sitting there and inevitably put another 30 hours into a new character.

This is the game that will break that cycle! I'm literally scheduling a play through of Dark Souls a couple weeks before this drops, just so that I'm not rusty.

I'm really glad that I have played so much of the Souls series now, I am going to confidently go full melee in Dark Souls 2. Make a Quality build with emphasis on Vit and Endurance, and it will be awesome. Magic is too easy and boring, melee is the best way to play these games and I'll will know how to build a good character now because of all the experience I have with the series.

The install base will be fairly small at that point.

The x86/x64 architecture will make for a fairly simple port. If they aim for a Fall release for PS4/Xbone versions they could make some good money.

From probably committing all of their resources to the 3 versions right now, releasing with 5 versions would be biting off more than they could chew.

It could be a major announcement they're doing at E3 or TGS and they don't want to spoil it on the banner.

Yeah true, it's not a huge deal I'll just get it on pc if they decide to not go next gen. My rig is getting pretty old (HD4850 :( ) but I could handle DS fine at 1920x1080.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm really glad that I have played so much of the Souls series now, I am going to confidently go full melee in Dark Souls 2. Make a Quality build with emphasis on Vit and Endurance, and it will be awesome. Magic is too easy and boring, melee is the best way to play these games and I'll will know how to build a good character now because of all the experience I have with the series.

Yes precisely. It took me a full magic playthrough of Demon Souls and 1.5 magic playthroughs of Dark before I worked up the confidence to go full melee. It's so much more fun that way, but I was so scared!

Would buy on Wii U if they could somehow up the textures and offer off-screen play.

If not, it'll be the PS3 version again. March sounds about what I expected, although I think it could see another delay yet.

Booshka

Yes precisely. It took me a full magic playthrough of Demon Souls and 1.5 magic playthroughs of Dark before I worked up the confidence to go full melee. It's so much more fun that way, but I was so scared!

Good thing about full melee in Souls games is you can always fall back on a well upgraded bow and dominate safely with that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It seems I'll have to...

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...Prepare to buy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. I just started the first one (for the second time), and I'm trying to like it... I really want to like it... The world, lore, and art style are all so cool. Hopefully it clicks for me soon.

FlyFaster

If it's not on ps360 I at least hope it makes it to Wii U. Japanese developers should really be supporting Japanese companies.

If it does come to PS3 that's great. Just another game to stop me from buying a next gen console early. I'm ok with that.

Orayn

If it's not on ps360 I at least hope it makes it to Wii U. Japanese developers should really be supporting Japanese companies.

If it does come to PS3 that's great. Just another game to stop me from buying a next gen console early. I'm ok with that.

It's only confirmed on PS3, 360, and PC right now. Next-gen ports should be pretty easy since PC is the lead platform, but they're just speculation for the time being.

moho-foe

Neo Member

The Magic + Strength build is the path of the true badass. +15 Zweihander buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon... 50 str 50 int. 0_0

Booshka

The Magic + Strength build is the path of the true badass. +15 Zweihander buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon... 50 str 50 int. 0_0

that's easy mode. Crystal +5 Demon Great Machete and Darkmoon Blade +3 does stupid damage. I got tired of putting so many points into magic and trivializing the game so I just went pure quality or strength and had a lot more fun. The DLC was designed with pure physical damage in mind. From Software could tell how OP buffed weapons were against main game bosses so they made all the DLC ones very resilient against magic buffs.

I hope it gets a ps4 release at launch. Along with a port of Dark Souls 1.

And Sony, while you're at it, port Demon's over and get From to make Demon's 2.

RedSwirl

So basically 2014 is looking like the year of dark fantasy RPGs. You got this, The Witcher 3, and probably Dragon Age 3.

eEe8t6t.jpg

Justin

Crazy to think that the series is big enough now to get one of the coveted banner spots at E3. Wouldn't have guess when the original came out.

Game is coming out too late to not be a cross-gen title imo.

It would've been different if it came out this holiday like I expected.

Gorillaz

I hope it gets a ps4 release at launch. Along with a port of Dark Souls 1.

And Sony, while you're at it, port Demon's over and get From to make Demon's 2.
Said it in another thread but very interested in what they do with demon souls. I see them using the name still but maybe different approach

moho-foe

Neo Member
that's easy mode. Crystal +5 Demon Great Machete and Darkmoon Blade +3 does stupid damage. I got tired of putting so many points into magic and trivializing the game so I just went pure quality or strength and had a lot more fun. The DLC was designed with pure physical damage in mind. From Software could tell how OP buffed weapons were against main game bosses so they made all the DLC ones very resilient against magic buffs.

A Faith + Str build is vastly different from an Int + Str build.

and the DLC bosses are resilient against everything lol.

The easiest build in the game is pure vitality and black flame spam. You'll almost never lose in PvP. I don't get much fun out of str,end,vit builds. Seems really vanilla to me. A good dex build is harder to achieve and much more rewarding.

Booshka

Said it in another thread but very interested in what they do with demon souls. I see them using the name still but maybe different approach

Unless Sony does some major money hat for a PS4 and Vita cross-play title, I don't see From Software going away from the multiplatform goodness of Dark Souls.

It would be amazing for there to be a Vita and PS4 version of Demon's Souls 2, and would be a system seller for some, but I doubt it would make as much money as Dark Souls games do on multiplatform.

EDIT: @moho-foe Dex builds are extremely common and very easy in Dark Souls PvP. Pure Strength is far more rare. Dex builds lend themselves to Dex/Pyro or Dex/Int, which are pretty damn cookie-cutter and easy imo. Doing well with pure strength weapons and builds with huge weapons is much harder because the weight and slowness of attacks really affects your build and playstyle.

The amount of buffed Great Scythes, Katanas, and Balder Side Swords, along with the huge amount of Dex Pyro builds I see dwarfs the amount of pure heavy weapon Strength builds I see.

DLC bosses are weakest to pure physical so it showcases Quality and Strength builds more, the boss fights are more fun because you can't just melt them with easy mode magic. I hope From takes this philosophy to Dark Souls 2 by making magic more skill based or rewarding pure physical damage melee builds more.

moho-foe

Neo Member
Unless Sony does some major money hat for a PS4 and Vita cross-play title, I don't see From Software going away from the multiplatform goodness of Dark Souls.

It would be amazing for there to be a Vita and PS4 version of Demon's Souls 2, and would be a system seller for some, but I doubt it would make as much money as Dark Souls games do on multiplatform.

Dark Souls being on multiple systems could be the best possible advertisement for a PS4 exclusive Souls games. Reaching a wider audience is only going to make the series more popular on whatever system it's available on. As long as they don't release the same years, it's win-win.

moho-foe

Neo Member
EDIT: @moho-foe Dex builds are extremely common and very easy in Dark Souls PvP. Pure Strength is far more rare. Dex builds lend themselves to Dex/Pyro or Dex/Int, which are pretty damn cookie-cutter and easy imo. Doing well with pure strength weapons and builds with no weapons is much harder because the weight and slowness of attacks really affects your build and playstyle.

The amount of buffed Great Scythes, Katanas, and Balder Side Swords, along with the huge amount of Dex Pyro builds I see dwarfs the amount of pure heavy weapon Strength builds I see.

DLC bosses are weakest to pure physical so it showcases Quality and Strength builds more, the boss fights are more fun because you can't just melt them with easy mode magic. I hope From takes this philosophy to Dark Souls 2 by making magic more skill based or rewarding pure physical damage melee builds more.

pure dex builds are common, good ones aren't IMO. Int + whatever is a different story.

magic is over powered against PvE but it's generally bad in PvP unless you're in a party or you have dark magic to spam. anyone who isn't dumb can dodge spells easily (or pyro). I tend to take people out with the moonlight greatsword because i love melee and that weapon is godly.

I also go with the heavy weapons. right now i'm love with the 50 str required dragon weapons. :)

Raven77

Wow, seems odd that such a big game would release nearly what 4-6 months after the next gen comes out. Not unheard of but still odd.

Top Bottom