• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Anyone knows if you can somehow fake the Logitech DFGT into a G25 so the game will recognize it?

About to drop $100 on this but it will depend on this....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Might be regretting my switch from regular to ultimate edition if it is going to have performance issues on PC making an early release pointless..

LilJoka

Can't be. CPU limited with a 5820 ? If Xbox Jaguar can run through that part at 30fps, a 5820 should do, like, 300. Maybe streaming issues or some bug.

Or this is a dire case of unoptimisation.
It's happened before, some games just cannot hold high fps due to some inherrant design choice because it was targeted to run at 30fps.

killroy87

Hmm, this one seems to have some growing pains. I'm confident it will get there. Until then I have an HDR Xbone version that will work out just fine!

RyudBoy

Ok. Im having problems. GTX1070 with latest drivers from yesterday. Doesn't matter whether I play with dynamic settings or on low or Ultra I'm getting framedrops from 80s to 30s even 20s within mere seconds. Could it be a streaming issue? Haven't installed it on my SSD. CPU is an i7 4790k and I have 16 GB of RAM. Also locking it to 36 fps doesn't feel as smooth as the 30 FPS on Xbox One.

I have the same specs as you. This shit has got me worried. :/

I hope you get it sorted out and please update if you do.

Framerate is the exact same on Ultra and Medium for me for some reason. Can't get a locked 60 to save my life

Same shit as Forza 6 Apex. Not using 100% of my GPU.

Seems like CPU bound, welp.

----

For a couple of moments I thought about getting this game + W10, but I'd rather wait for mass impressions (more people with the game, more data, more examples, etc). I can't stand stuttering and without knowing that I can get 60fps I won't risk it.

Or this is a dire case of unoptimisation.
It's happened before, some games just cannot hold high fps due to some inherrant design choice because it was targeted to run at 30fps.

I'm more leaning towards that the CPU ultilization needs some work, the majority of the game have no such problem, but the sheer density of assets in the city might have triggered that threshold. I'll monitor core utilization in different areas tomorrow and see what is going on.

MaLDo

Can't be. CPU limited with a 5820 ? If Xbox Jaguar can run through that part at 30fps, a 5820 should do, like, 300. Maybe streaming issues or some bug.

There is something I can't understand.

Every video showed for this game has hitches in the framerate that means the streaming in FH3 is not good enough. There is no PC gameplay in the net with perfect smooth framerate.

Also, Forza 6 Apex in PC has lots of hitches in the framerate in tracks with high asset density. (besides terrible framepacing issues).

So, WHY people buy day 1 these games with obvious performance problems?

It's really surprising.

I will say the same when performance thread for Mafia 3 appears in a few days.

Evo X

There is something I can't understand.

Every video showed for this game has hitches in the framerate that means the streaming in FH3 is not good enough. There is no PC gameplay in the net with perfect smooth framerate.

Also, Forza 6 Apex in PC has lots of hitches in the framerate in tracks with high asset density. (besides terrible framepacing issues).

So, WHY people buy day 1 these games with obvious performance problems?

It's really surprising.

I will say the same when performance thread for Mafia 3 appears in a few days.

If the pc version has issues, I will just play the Xbox one in the meantime. That's the benefit of Play Anywhere.

Might as well post this here to say I get mostly locked 60fps at 1080p with a 980m 8GB, i7-4790S and 16GB RAM. Some dips around the city area but I can live with that.

Game is installed on an HDD.

Thanks, it's not quite common to see someone post their performance with a 980m.

Seems like CPU bound, welp.

----

For a couple of moments I thought about getting this game + W10, but I'd rather wait for mass impressions (more people with the game, more data, more examples, etc). I can't stand stuttering and without knowing that I can get 60fps I won't risk it.
A bit of fiddling around, a restart and a crash to desktop and I'm getting a solid 60 now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the pc version has issues, I will just play the Xbox one in the meantime. That's the benefit of Play Anywhere.

But if the PC version has issues getting to a steady 60fps but is fine at ultra at 30fps, it'll still look better than Xbox while you wait for optimisations?

Are people seeing any drops below 30? Might lock it there for now rather than have a variable frame rate

ekim

But if the PC version has issues getting to a steady 60fps but is fine at ultra at 30fps, it'll still look better than Xbox while you wait for optimisations?

Are people seeing any drops below 30? Might lock it there for now rather than have a variable frame rate

Funnily enough I can only lock my framerate to a divider of my monitors refresh rate of 144hz: 72FPS & 36 FPS

Piggus

Seems like I'm CPU limited in downtown Surfers Paradise.

5820K@4.4Ghz

Drops to 50FPS in both 4K and 720p, Ultra settings. Dynamic Optimization does not help. Looking at the performance monitor, Core 1 is at 100%. DX12 multicore scaling doing work :/ Hoping for a fix for that.

Same CPU and clock speed. That's some horrible optimization if true.

Maybe I'll stick to xbone only. Don't think my i5-2500 3.3 with r9 390x is going to do so hot :/

Uh, that's a much more powerful system than the Bone. Even if you can't hold a solid 60 fps, you'd be able to lock the game at 30 fps (same as Bone version) but with overall better visuals.

ekim

Does GSYNC help with the frame drops?

Nope. Not for me.

Edit: but I will try some stuff tomorrow. Looks like my GPU is bored for some reason. I'm monitoring temperatures in parallel and it's pretty low whereas it's 15 degree warmer in Any other demanding game.

CryptiK

Bad stuttering here. 6700K 980ti. Called this out when I complained about there being no PC demo and was laughed at saying the game would be fine due to Apex being good. Well here we are guys. Morons.

I tell you guys this is a bad port. The beefy systems should be doing better than this. The city seems to be the worst area, and even that isn't exactly pushing eye melting graphics compared to some games. High end CPU's should also be flying through anything that this game has to throw at them

I think they just threw the bone version on PC and added an options menu. Come on Playground!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I tell you guys this is a bad port. The beefy systems should be doing better than this. The city seems to be the worst area, and even that isn't exactly pushing eye melting graphics compared to some games. High end CPU's should also be flying through anything that this game has to throw at them

I think they just threw the bone version on PC and added an options menu. Come on Playground!

surely even if they did that, the 8 core CPUs should be chewing through it happily enough?

Manac0r

Just for information: You can get a refund up to 7 days after release due to technical problems according to Microsoft support.

I have been having a nightmare just getting it downloaded..never mind running it... Support says I'm good for a refund up to 7 days after release....

If that helps any.. :(

i5-6500 closer to minimum or recommend specs?

Honestly, it really depends if the game is utilizing hyperthreading well. Outside of hyper threading the minimum and recommended CPUs are extremely close. 4 Core Ivy Bridge i5 vs a 4 Core SandyBridge E i7, with very close clock speeds. It's hard to just place a Skylake i5 between them without knowing how utilizes the extra threads.

Just to be clear, it's an i5 6500 not an i5 6500K? That didn't used to matter unless you overclocked but now Intel actually increases the base clock of the K variant processors out of the box.

Afro

Bad stuttering here. 6700K 980ti. Called this out when I complained about there being no PC demo and was laughed at saying the game would be fine due to Apex being good. Well here we are guys. Morons.

Damnit man. What's with UWP games and stutter? Gears, Apex, now this?

Might assume PG / Turn 10 did not do enough testing on this one, reports I gathered are also all over the place, while on my own PC other than the city being a mess it is pretty much perfect at 1440p/1620p, no stutters, sometimes a small framedrop due to asset streaming upon entering a different big area. Didn't find any other inconveniences so far in about 4 hours of play.

I think I will be locking at 4K/30fps for the time being until they get some performance patches out. If I can even attain that.

I won't condemn it yet though as I haven't actually tried it myself.

Reports here don't have me too optimistic about my performance on my new laptop, i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, obviously all laptop performance components.

I'm only targeting 1080p, 60fps, Xbox One equivalent settings at a minimum (so just hoping to double the framerate of the XB1 version). More is always welcome, of course, but seems this release build and drivers maybe aren't quite polished enough?

Maybe I will be playing my XB1 version for a bit. Will keep the game installed on my laptop for now and hope an update smooths things over, but it's a disappointment that's the case here.

I'll still try it when it unlocks for me tonight and will try to report my results. My specs are relatively modest compared to some users, and my target is pretty modest, too, so we'll see. MSAA being seemingly broken, or poorly implemented, is a bit of a shame for the IQ.

EDIT: Btw, are some users using Shadowplay to track their framerates? I have found since I got this laptop that Shadowplay seems to introduce stuttering into some games that otherwise perform just fine, at least visibly. I started getting occasional hitches and stutters in GTAV and Witcher III with the Shadowplay FPS tracker on, but with no Shadowplay enabled and my FPS tracker off, it looks and feels smooth -- and the stuttering is QUITE noticeable with it on. The FPS counter is the only feature I had enabled, no benchmarking or anything else switched on. I didn't use Shadowplay on my old i7-3770k+GTX 970 desktop, so I don't know how well it fared before -- maybe it's a recent driver issue on nVidia's end?

Theorry

Ok. Im having problems. GTX1070 with latest drivers from yesterday. Doesn't matter whether I play with dynamic settings or on low or Ultra I'm getting framedrops from 80s to 30s even 20s within mere seconds. Could it be a streaming issue? Haven't installed it on my SSD. CPU is an i7 4790k and I have 16 GB of RAM. Also locking it to 36 fps doesn't feel as smooth as the 30 FPS on Xbox One.

Came across this. Sounds similar?

https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/5410w3/pc_heavily_underperforming/

HeliosT10

If you're suffering from stuttering and have an NVIDIA card can you try enabling "prefer maximum performance" in the 3D tab in Nvidia control panel. This seems to have fixed the issue for some people

Top Bottom