• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ocarina of Time Any% World Record by TorjeAGC: 17:09

BumRush

No, for a couple of reasons usually.

1) People new to glitches may see them and think they're easy to execute, as if just knowing what to do is a free path to pulling them off, and sometimes that is the case but not usually. There's a reason none of this stuff ever crops up for you playing the game casually. They require specific inputs, positions, angles, etc. Normal gameplay rarely requires anything with that level of precision. It's not uncommon for the hardest section of a speedrun to be a glitch.

2) Deciding what is and isn't a glitch is way more complicated and messy than people new to speedruns tend to think it is. Sure, the glitch in this speedrun where Torje warps from Deku Tree into the endgame is certainly a huge glitch, but when you get into the small things, differentiating becomes very subjective. A good example in OoT and other Zeldas is you can sometimes use bombs to boost Link across gaps he wouldn't ordinarily be able to cross. The game is working as intended, with the explosion physics being able to throw Link. But speedrunners can use that to accomplish unintended things. Glitch or not? It's debatable, and most runners would rather avoid such debate.

Makes sense! Thanks for the responses guys...I didn't know the glitches were hard to input!

gngf123

Okay, the marathon shortcut requires a high level of parkour skill :)

I don't really mind that this is a thing, and it's absolutely a feat; don't get me wrong on that. It just bothers me a bit that it's the most high-profile of the options, the one that seems to get the lead promotion much of the time.

But no, I'm not being fair; this is still a phenomenal performance, and that absolutely ought to be celebrated.

I honestly think that's only because more people will find enjoyment in watching something for 20 minutes that looks completely different to what they remember, than it is to watch a 3 hour+ glitchless run.

To use your marathon example - It's like how the biggest event at the Olympics is often the 100m sprint, not the marathon.

Both are definitely valued among speedrunners by the way.

I did not think my comments would derail this thread this much, nor was it my intention. I clearly misunderstood what was going on and like I said had different expectations about how the speedrun would go down. Did I use harsh words, yes but maybe you all should go back to focusing on the record speed run instead.
Did you watch the whole thing? It's damn impressive.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Okay, the marathon shortcut requires a high level of parkour skill :)

I don't really mind that this is a thing, and it's absolutely a feat; don't get me wrong on that. It just bothers me a bit that it's the most high-profile of the options, the one that seems to get the lead promotion much of the time.

But no, I'm not being fair; this is still a phenomenal performance, and that absolutely ought to be celebrated.
Watch an OoT 100% speedrun, it takes 4 and a half hours and has a ton of tricks that are insanely difficult to pull off. ClintStevens is a very popular twitch steamer who streams it every night, or you can just find it on YouTube.

Christhor

I don't understand super speedruns like this. At that point, you're not playing to have fun.

Depends on what people think is fun. I find repetition horribly boring, while others find it fun to repeat things and try to do it better every time, pushing themselves to improve at something.

Makes sense! Thanks for the responses guys...I didn't know the glitches were hard to input!

I mean, this run is a category that people have been working on over the course of many years. Did you think that years of iteration and optimization would have led to things any regular joe could pull off?

shiyrley

Banned
What the fuck is this garbage? So he hacked the game and its a speed run of a hack or major glitch...wow so impressive...

Edit: Apparently I don't understand the art of speedruns.
The obligatory shitpost.

If you open a emulation thread, "emulation is piracy!!!"
If you open a speedrun thread, "oh yes with glitches, so impressive, wow"

Just...why? Why can't we have threads on interesting but somewhat niche stuff like this, without people telling us how wrong we are for enjoying it? I mean, it's ok if you don't enjoy this, but is there any need for posts like that? Like, really?

Sorry, I felt like letting that out.

Anyway, congrats. Used to watch OoT runs, thought I did get bored eventually. Still awesome to see that they are STILL breaking records on this. Wonder when a truly unbeatable time will appear.

Stalwart

Makes me think of when Cosmo used to stream on Twitch and got such a good time that he declared OoT any% dead, heh. Grats to Torje, I haven't watched OoT since then but that's an insane time.

.Anema

So good.
Also, damn! The memories! The final battle against Ganon it's awesome. The "screams", I'll never forget when I finished this game. It's perfect.

gngf123

Makes me think of when Cosmo used to stream on Twitch and got such a good time that he declared OoT any% dead, heh. Grats to Torje, I haven't watched OoT since then but that's an insane time.

At the time, that 18:10 really did seem like it would be the record for a while. It was nearly a perfect run with the best route people knew.

It was beaten, but the kinds of crazy times we have now only exist because of glitches opening up new routes. It's still going too, amazing to think that even faster routes might exist.

Sub 17 will be this year I'm sure of it.

Stalwart

At the time, that 18:10 really did seem like it would be the record for a while. It was nearly a perfect run with the best route people knew.

It was beaten, but the kinds of crazy times we have now only exist because of glitches opening up new routes. It's still going too, amazing to think that even faster routes might exist.

Sub 17 will be this year I'm sure of it.

Yeah I didn't mean I thought Cosmo was cocky or anything, that run was absolutely insane. Crazy how new glitches can continue to be found in these games almost 2 decades later.

AmyS

Almost 18 and a half years since its release, I've never beaten Ocarina of Time even once :p

Congrats, seriously!

Seriously awesome play.

Venfayth

Do people do speedruns of the game properly? Just curious if that's a thing. I don't really care for all the glitch stuff

100% runs show off more of the game, but they still typically use glitches.

Depends on the game, also. Some games have glitchless categories, or no-sequence-break categories.

Zyrox

Man I'll never understand how speedrunners can stay so calm. I'd be a nervous mess during the whole thing. Pulling of all these glitches and making it look easy is crazy. He even found time to interact with chat during the run. Just crazy. Congrats to him though. That's a damn impressive run.

Anth0ny

Man I'll never understand how speedrunners can stay so calm. I'd be a nervous mess during the whole thing. Pulling of all these glitches and making it look easy is crazy. He even found time to interact with chat during the run. Just crazy. Congrats to him though. That's a damn impressive run.

It takes hundreds of hours of practice. Then hundreds more playing the game at a highest level while still being able to interact with chat without making mistakes. I know from experience ^_^

Crazyorloco

Congrats. I hope he's a gaffer.

17:09? Jesus. I remember when OoT was considered dead at 18:10. TorjeAGC admits to making mistakes in the run despite being WR, so something in 16:50s sounds possible, but man, these runs are almost frame for frame perfect at times. Congrats to the runner!

Yeah in the beginning there were some errors. I think he wasn't taking it serious yet...he was talking a lot at first and then I think he realized "oh crap i'm beating a record" he was silent later.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I mean, I am also not impressed by speedruns that utilize stuff like this to skip 99% of the game. But that's only because "speedrun" means something specific to me, it means doing something really fast within the game's purposeful limitations.

Now if we just did something as pedantic as rename what this is, I'd be fine with it. Cause it's absolutely still an impressive and highly skill-based thing that's happening here. But it needs to be classified somehow differently. Same way Tool Assisted Speedruns have their own nomenclature. "Glitch-based Speedrun" I dunno, something.

It's "Any %." That is the term for what you are describing and that's what this run is.

Released

Is there an accompanying explanation on how those glitches and warp worked?

The warp is pretty complex. A bottle is needed with bugs to activate a glitch called Ocarina Items, where you can play the ocarina without actually having an ocarina. This is necessary because the actual ocarina does not work in boss rooms, I assume because the devs didn't want players leaving the room with warp songs.

Anyways, Ocarina Items is triggered on the very edge of the blue warp in Gohma's room, which activates the blue warp but allows Link to still move around the room. A countdown starts here which will activate the normal Deku Tree cutscene once it reaches zero. However, if the player can exit the room on the same frame the game tries to load this cutscene, the player will be warped to the collapse sequence. This happens due to some silliness with the game's internal memory addresses and how it loads scenes/areas.

Awesome that they found a new route. Was having trouble trying to figure out how they could improve it but getting a bottle without forest escape and going to kakariko certainly helps.

Only thing better would be either getting the bottle/bugs in an even faster route, or something rivaling the wrong warp in terms of speed of completion.

Choabac

The warp is pretty complex. A bottle is needed with bugs to activate a glitch called Ocarina Items, where you can play the ocarina without actually having an ocarina. This is necessary because the actual ocarina does not work in boss rooms, I assume because the devs didn't want players leaving the room with warp songs.

Anyways, Ocarina Items is triggered on the very edge of the blue warp in Gohma's room, which activates the blue warp but allows Link to still move around the room. A countdown starts here which will activate the normal Deku Tree cutscene once it reaches zero. However, if the player can exit the room on the same frame the game tries to load this cutscene, the player will be warped to the collapse sequence. This happens due to some silliness with the game's internal memory addresses and how it loads scenes/areas.

Thanks!

That is crazy. Many people over the years must have contributed to figuring out a glitch like that.

Released

Thanks!

That is crazy. Many people over the years must have contributed to figuring out a glitch like that.

That particular warp was known to be theoretically possible before it was proven actually possible. When wrong warping was originally found, a different one was used from Dodongo's Cavern that takes the player directly to the credits without even fighting Ganon. Later someone noticed through looking at the way the addresses for all the entrances in the game are organized that a warp to the collapse from the Deku Tree would be doable, but people needed to figure out a way to get past the big slab that normally blocks you from exiting Gohma's room. That was a huge 20min timesave when it was all figured out.

His BPM went up to 190 at the final boss fight, lol

Choabac

That particular warp was known to be theoretically possible before it was proven actually possible. When wrong warping was originally found, a different one was used from Dodongo's Cavern that takes the player directly to the credits without even fighting Ganon. Later someone noticed through looking at the way the addresses for all the entrances in the game are organized that a warp to the collapse from the Deku Tree would be doable, but people needed to figure out a way to get past the big slab that normally blocks you from exiting Gohma's room. That was a huge 20min timesave when it was all figured out.

That's very interesting and neat.

In this speedrun did Torje do anything novel in the way he exploited the warp glitch or was it a case of optimising Link's movement and execution which let him smash the previous record?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have finished OoT but I have literally no idea what is happening on this video.

Is the bpm his heartrate? If so, dude needs to hit the gym, resting hr 110 :O

Dunkley

Glad it was finally beaten, here's hoping people will leave Narcissa be since she isn't the WR holder anymore.

Although looking at Siglemic and how he is still THE SM64 runner even if his 120 Star time has been beat, I don't think the casual transphobia torwards Narcissa is likely to drop soon.

The only speedruns i've ever watched are OoT and Mario 64. Dunno why but nothing else interests me.

The stuff done here is insane. Its quite annoying that he spend the majority of the time back dashing, can't see shit :D

Are there videos of people discovering these glitches? I'd love to see how they react.
Ocarina Items is probably one of the oldest major OOT glitches around, way predating speedrunning as a social phenomenon. I think the trick with the compass turning into a Blue Potion was actually also an old glitch that was never considered useful until somebody figured out how to route it into the speedrun.

At this point, considering how obscure all these glitches are, is there any possibility that a completely different route could be found in the future?

What does Any% mean? That he beat the game's story but didnt do it 100%?
You can complete the game with Any %age of the game done. Meaning really just complete as fast as possible.
Different games will have different meanings for this, and even still games have their own distinct categories.
OoT has 3 popular ones: Any%, All Dungeons, and 100% where you have to obtain every collectable. If you want to see the game played more "normally" then check out all dungeons (called MST sometimes) or 100%. They're still full of glitches but you'll see more of the game.

Top Bottom