• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rachael Leigh Cook remakes her "Brain On Drugs" commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good video and all too true but the point should have been made that the war on drugs is destructive to everyone's lives. Like I'm not sure if they are saying it's a bad policy because it's racist (when in actuality it's the implementation of it that's racist) or because it's too heavy handed for whoever is caught. There are about the same amount of white people in prison for drugs whose lives will also be destroyed as well as black people because of our stupid fucking policies.

The "War on Drugs" specifically targets people of color. That's why, for example, crack cocaine (which is popular among blacks) is subject to prosecution exponentially more severe than powder cocaine (which is popular among whites). The other examples of this racial bias are endless but I'll let you find that information yourself. Watch the award winning documentary "13th".

If black people & white people were facing equal & unbiased persecution from the "War on Drugs", you'd have a point. But they're not. Black people are being systematically imprisoned at a completely unreasonable ratio to Caucasians, directly because of the war on drugs. I don't care more about them because they're black, I care more about them because they're a demographic that's being specifically targeted for persecution & imprisonment. Your argument would be like saying during the Holocaust "Well yes, I'm against killing innocent Jews, but it's unfair to single that demographic out, because other innocent people get killed sometimes as well. I'm against killing ALL innocent people!" Well, duh. But ALL innocent people aren't the ones being targeted here. Just like Caucasians aren't being targeted in the war on drugs.

I'm posting this image again so certain people can have some goddamn perspective.

tmp_fzZlKU

This shows that all 50 states are racially discriminatory in their policing, with black Americans arrested at levels from 2x to well over 20x as much as white people for the exact same shit. The majority of the states are sitting at well over 3x.

To think Rachael Leigh Cook's fucking commercial making you feel weird is an issue worth discussing for fucking hours today instead of these discrepancies shows us the obvious, ironic truth in LizardKing's idea that white people just don't give a fuck unless it's about them.
Church.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm posting this image again so certain people can have some goddamn perspective.

tmp_fzZlKU

This shows that all 50 states are racially discriminatory in their policing, with black Americans arrested at levels from 2x to well over 20x as much as white people for the exact same shit. The majority of the states are sitting at well over 3x.

To think Rachael Leigh Cook's fucking commercial making you feel weird is an issue worth discussing for fucking hours today instead of these discrepancies shows us the obvious, ironic truth in LizardKing's idea that white people just don't give a fuck unless it's about them.
Yep

dAxdcdi.gif

Socreges

Banned

tmp_fzZlKU

Who are you even talking about? Who are all these white people? Isn't it just LizardKing, and maybe one other woefully deluded person, being a knob?

That's all it's been since his first post in this thread and I don't understand why.
I'll hazard a guess.

Certain people of certain backgrounds have an incredibly difficult time getting over their feelings of guilt, shame, indignation and/or any other bullshit self-centered defensive emotion that bubbles up when they feel they are being called out specifically for being white and/or privileged.

Look at what he's saying in this thread. He's a white dude who votes D, why are people of color angry at him!? And now suddenly we have to deal with his feelings and trying to parse what should be a simple message in a way that doesn't offend his sensibilities so he can understand and he won't feel singled out and he won't feel attacked or targeted unfairly.

Tiring.

I'll hazard a guess.

Certain people of certain backgrounds have an incredibly difficult time getting over their feelings of guilt, shame, indignation and/or any other bullshit self-centered defensive emotion that bubbles up when they feel they are being called out specifically for being white and/or privileged.

Look at what he's saying in this thread. He's a white dude who votes D, why are people of color angry at him!? And now suddenly we have to deal with his feelings and trying to parse what should be a simple message in a way that it doesn't offend his sensibilities so[ I]he[/I] can understand and he won't feel singled out and he won't feel attacked or targeted unfairly.

Tiring.
Well there it is.

I'll hazard a guess.

Look at what he's saying in this thread. He's a white dude who votes D, why are people of color angry at him!? And now suddenly we have to deal with his feelings and trying to parse what should be a simple message in a way that it doesn't offend his sensibilities so[ I]he[/I] can understand and he won't feel singled out and he won't feel attacked or targeted unfairly.

Tiring.

I'm not offended by this ad in the slightest. It's the goddamn truth and it's something I abhor. I don't think it's the best way to present the argument against the war on drugs. This is mostly because of the people who need to be convinced. Empathy is not their strong suit (as it's not in many). Sorry if I am more of a pragmatist than you. At the end of the day we want the same thing and even agree about everything other than how to make an argument in a democratic nation. And I don't think we will so there's probably no point in discussing it anymore.

And liukang I don't know if those stats were directed at me again but once again, I know.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not offended by this ad in the slightest. It's the goddamn truth and it's something I abhor. I don't think it's the best way to present the argument against the war on drugs. This is mostly because of the people who need to be convinced. Empathy is not their strong suit (as it's not in many). Sorry if I am more of a pragmatist than you. At the end of the day we want the same thing and even agree about everything other than how to make an argument in a democratic nation. And I don't think we will so there's probably no point in discussing it anymore.
If only you would just stop there...

Dude Abides

Banned
It's clear this is a very pro drug use thread, so I guess there's no use advocating for abstinence against illegal drugs to avoid repercussions in the first place.

Yeah, a thread about drug policy probably is a bad place for you to celebrate your self-perceived moral superiority.

It's clear this is a very pro drug use thread, so I guess there's no use advocating for abstinence against illegal drugs to avoid repercussions in the first place.
Jesus Christ, I absolutely agree that drug abstinence is important but that has shit all to do with this thread.

You are victim blaming.

And yes, stop typing, a demographic that is specifically targeted by unfair laws is one that is being victimized. "Well, just don't do the thing!" is a tone deaf, utterly insensitive, useless bit of "advice."

I have never once consumed any illegal drug and I drink probably 4 glasses of alcoholic cider a year. Please take this superiority of yours elsewhere if all you are going to suggest is "well don't do drugs and then you won't be targeted at a disproportionate rate." Good victim blaming. You made sure to not include the reasons why someone could be have a drug addiction or turned to drugs.

1.5 Million Missing Black Men
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/20/upshot/missing-black-men.html?_r=0

A related article, I'm hoping it gets through to LizardKing, since it appears we can't fix and talk about racial absolutes until black people can somehow catch up to the population majority and have their issues actually respected by them. (An impossible task, because read the article.)

iWpNyfK.png

Here's evidence of discriminatory policing making such an enormous dent that black population statistics are thrown completely off from the white American baseline. Does RLC's fucking commercial talking about race still matter to you? Is it still "divisive"?

molnizzle

Oh right, abstinence. That's always worked before! Why didn't we think of this sooner?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The reality of racism is that the majority of white people have proven over and over again that they KNOW it's not fair in their heart and we just don't give a shit.

I'm not sure why it's controversial to say that centuries of privilege and racism is stronger than an egg and Rachael Leigh Cook. It might not feel good to say and it might be cynical, but I can appreciate the POV that maybe the opiod epidemic is an opportunity to find positive change for black communities by appealing to rural white Americans that they are in the same boat.

I can see not agreeing, but getting furious about it and repeating that it isn't fair is just a recipe for discussing it on NeoGaf right? Did I miss a post?

subrock

Yep, this is great. I'm glad the tide is turning on Nixon's disgusting crusade. Hopefully we don't just stop at legalizing weed.

The reality of racism is that the majority of white people have proven over and over again that they KNOW it's not fair in their heart and we just don't give a shit.

I'm not sure why it's controversial to say that centuries of privilege and racism is stronger than an egg and Rachael Leigh Cook. It might not feel good to say and it might be cynical, but I can appreciate the POV that maybe the opiod epidemic is an opportunity to find positive change for black communities by appealing to rural white Americans that they are in the same boat.

I can see not agreeing, but getting furious about it and repeating that it isn't fair is just a recipe for discussing it on NeoGaf right? Did I miss a post?

Here's the thing.

You don't actually have to change this ad to appeal to rural Americans. Most people probably aren't racist. And there's a chance, after seeing this ad, that they might realize that the drug war is racist. And if there is one thing white people hate, it's being called racist. So, there's a good probability that if they were indifferent to the drug war, they may have their opinion tipped in favor of getting rid of it out of the fear of being called racist if they supported the war on drugs.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Here's the thing.

You don't actually have to change this ad to appeal to rural Americans. Most people probably aren't racist. And there's a chance, after seeing this ad, that they might realize that the drug war is racist. And if there is one thing white people hate, it's being called racist. So, there's a good probability that if they were indifferent to the drug war, they may have their opinion tipped in favor of getting rid of it out of the fear of being called racist if they supported the war on drugs.

I think racism is a lot messier and more insidious than that, but I hope you are right. Sounds nice.

IME white people's reaction to being called racist is not to start voting for people who are less racist. It's usually just thinking to yourself "nah, I've never said the N-word" and thinking that person is a crybaby.

Euphor!a

Banned
I have never once consumed any illegal drug and I drink probably 4 glasses of alcoholic cider a year. Please take this superiority of yours elsewhere if all you are going to suggest is "well don't do drugs and then you won't be targeted at a disproportionate rate." Good victim blaming. You made sure to not include the reasons why someone could be have a drug addiction or turned to drugs.

Jesus Christ, I absolutely agree that drug abstinence is important but that has shit all to do with this thread.

You are victim blaming.

And yes, stop typing, a demographic that is specifically targeted by unfair laws is one that is being victimized. "Well, just don't do the thing!" is a tone deaf, utterly insensitive, useless bit of "advice."

I genuinely don't understand how this could possibly be construed as victim blaming, the drug users are the ones breaking the law. Unless the argument is that the drugs were planted or simply made-up, they are not a victim, but a criminal. Though, maybe we should arrest more white people.

I think racism is a lot messier and more insidious than that, but I hope you are right. Sounds nice.

IME white people's reaction to being called racist is not to start voting for people who are less racist. It's usually just thinking to yourself "nah, I've never said the N-word" and thinking that person is a crybaby.

It generally is more insidious. But this ad isn't calling the white viewer racist at all. It's directly saying that the war on drugs affects everyone, but that it is racially biased. It's aligning the idea of being pro-drug war with being a racist.

If you call someone a racist directly, yeah, they're probably gonna dig in and defend themselves. But if you imply that something they support may be racially motivated, they would probably be less likely to support it.

I genuinely don't understand how this could possibly be construed as victim blaming, the drug users are the ones breaking the law. Unless the argument is that the drugs were planted or simply made-up, they are not a victim, but a criminal. Though, maybe we should arrest more white people.

Do you even know why people use drugs?

Yes. That doesn't make them legal.

So? Are you gonna take the law absolute without understanding its motivations and application by just responding to accusations of black people being adversely affected disproportionately in comparison to white people with "arrest more white people"?

Euphor!a

Banned
So? Are you gonna take the law absolute without understanding its motivations and application by just responding to accusations of black people being adversely affected disproportionately in comparison to white people with "arrest more white people"?

No, just going to say the idea of it being victim blaming is absurd.

When I was in the Army it was illegal for me to have sex with my wife in any position besides missionary.

Something being illegal doesn't make it wrong or immoral. Laws are often dumb as shit.

Sodomy was illegal for a while in the USA.

No, just going to say the idea of it being victim blaming is absurd.

So I smoke weed because I deal with extreme anxiety and depression. It's pretty much the only drug besides alcohol and hallucinogenics that doesn't make me suicidal. Prozac and Xanax led me to some really dark places.

If I was to get arrested for possession of the only thing that calms my inner demons just because of a stupid fucking drug war built around suppressing minorities, would you call me a criminal, or a victim?

Socreges

Banned
So your solution to the problem would be to (maybe!) arrest more white people, rather than arrest less black people? Do you realize how untenable that is?

Can someone do the math? If we were to arrest white people, proportionate to the amount of black people arrested, how many more white people would that put in prison? I'd guess the number would be fucking staggering.

Euphor!a

Banned
So your solution to the problem would be to (maybe!) arrest more white people, rather than arrest less black people? Do you realize how untenable that is?

Can someone do the math? If we were to arrest white people, proportionate to the amount of black people arrested, how many more white people would that put in prison? I'd guess the number would be fucking staggering.

Feel free to even up the proportions however you feel necessary. It is still a crime, and they are still criminals. Nobody forced them to use drugs. It is not victim blaming.

So I smoke weed because I deal with extreme anxiety and depression. It's pretty much the only drug besides alcohol and hallucinogenics that doesn't make me suicidal. Prozac and Xanax led me to some really dark places.

If I was to get arrested for possession of the only thing that calms my inner demons just because of a stupid fucking drug war built around suppressing minorities, would you call me a criminal, or a victim?

I would call you a criminal, especially since there are options for you to legally smoke weed. Though I would agree weed being illegal is pretty dumb, you still knew the risks.

Feel free to even up the proportions however you feel necessary. It is still a crime, and they are still criminals. Nobody forced them to use drugs. It is not victim blaming.

I would call you a criminal, especially since there are options for you to legally smoke weed. Though I would agree weed being illegal is pretty dumb, you still knew the risks.

So in this case, the law supercedes the health of the individual?

Euphor!a

Banned
Fine. So I'm a criminal in your eyes. So you believe that because I decided to possess and use an illicit substance, I should have my entire future stripped away?

No, but I believe you are a criminal and you being arrested for it has nothing to do with victim blaming.

No, but I believe you are a criminal and you being arrested for it has nothing to do with victim blaming.

The war on drugs was built around victimizing people. It has very little to do with public safety. Most laws are enacted to protect the public, these ones weren't. So people who use the drug are doing so in the face of fucked up enforcement of laws designed to entrap and destroy people's lives. So you are blaming people who are using a substance out of curiosity, recreation, or necessity, and saying that the law comes before everything no matter what.

Euphor!a

Banned
The war on drugs was built around victimizing people. It has very little to do with public safety. Most laws are enacted to protect the public, these ones weren't. So people who use the drug are doing so in the face of fucked up enforcement of laws designed to entrap and destroy people's lives. So you are blaming people who are using a substance out of curiosity, recreation, or necessity, and saying that the law comes before everything no matter what.

Whatever you have to tell yourself I guess, but at the end of the day no one is forcing these people to do illegal drugs.

Whatever you have to tell yourself I guess, but at the end of the day no one is forcing these people to do illegal drugs.

So fucking what? No one forces you to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, but plenty of people do it. People take mind altering substances because that is what people do. Just because it's illegal doesn't make it wrong. And just because you call someone a criminal, doesn't mean that they aren't a victim of a fucked up system.

It's a huge waste of everyone's time to argue with someone who'd rather win by semantics than to critically think about the subject, and I say this after arguing with LizardKing all morning.

Discriminatory enforcement of a law renders it unjust, and the purposeful persecution of a demographic via unjust laws makes the those ensnared, their families and the community they belong to victims.

Why is this difficult to grasp?

Further, I'd argue only someone with zero historical perspective on the amount of awful, immoral and shitty laws that have existed in this country, and the freedoms you now enjoy because of those who broke them, would proffer the blanket, unquestioned adherence to legality as a solution to discrimination.

It's nice to know a few scant years ago you would have been telling LGBT Americans such as myself "just don't have homosexual relations!" as advice to avoid persecution from anti-sodomy laws. "You aren't being victimized; You're a criminal."

Right?

k0z1nhm.gif

Euphor!a

Banned
So fucking what? No one forces you to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, but plenty of people do it. People take mind altering substances because that is what people do. Just because it's illegal doesn't make it wrong. And just because you call someone a criminal, doesn't mean that they aren't a victim of a fucked up system.

The difference is cigarettes and alcohol are legal and illegal drugs well, aren't. That's a weird argument to make. Right and wrong doesn't matter, you know the risks of doing illegal drugs, you took those risks of your own free will.

Maybe one day that won't be the case and x and y will be legal, but until then you are a criminal, not a victim.

The difference is cigarettes and alcohol are legal and illegal drugs well, aren't. That's a weird argument to make. Right and wrong doesn't matter, you know the risks of doing illegal drugs, you took those risks of your own free will.

Maybe one day that won't be the case and x and y will be legal, but until then you are a criminal, not a victim.
Was Rosa Parks a criminal or a victim?

Run away slaves?

2oAqBOr.gif

Go on. Let's follow this train back to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom