• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

Cbajd5

That is what people want. :\

No, they want the GamePad to be used as a Classic Controller, using the Wii U Pro Controller still requires a separate Wii U Pro Controller. Like how I'm guessing someone can use Devolution with the Wii U Pro Controller while having the video on the GamePad now.

Sophia

It allows you to remap controls, emulate (<----) memory cards, & load various things on top of the regular game.

Which is not the same thing as emulating the entire Wii system nor what you originally claimed. :p

No, they want the GamePad to be used as a Classic Controller, using the Wii U Pro Controller still requires a separate Wii U Pro Controller. Like how I'm guessing someone can use Devolution with the Wii U Pro Controller while having the video on the GamePad now.

Err, yeah. That's what I meant, sorry. I misunderstood the quote.

Shaanyboi

Banned
lol holy shit at the people bitching that you have to use wiimotes still

what were people expecting? They were going to reprogram the control scheme of every wii game, as if there are no hurdles with that? What, Skyward Sword was now going to be playable completely without a wii remote?

<insert thisisneogaf.gif>

Talamius

So obviously the Wii U detects Gamepad button presses because you get a prompt that says Wii U Gamepad controls are not available in Wii mode.

Such an easy fix. Give the option for the Gamepad to emulate a CCPro.

Cbajd5

I wonder how Iwata presents this in the Direct tomorrow.

You can use the Wii U GamePad as a TV for your Wii games.

Simple enough I think. I mean, who'd try to play a game by pressing buttons on their TV?

So obviously the Wii U detects Gamepad button presses because you get a prompt says Wii U Gamepad controls are not available in Wii mode.

The GamePad probably does that locally, like how it detects button presses when using it as a universal remote. It can't send anything back to the system (besides the "turn on the system" signal) until it's turned on though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

what were people expecting? They were going to reprogram the control scheme of every wii game, as if there are no hurdles with that? What, Skyward Sword was now going to be playable completely without a wii remote?

Classic controller support is the only thing that's understandable. PS3/vita/psp(?) does it so wii u should as well.

trixx

Sort of makes sense though, if you oculd play virtual console games on the gamepad in wii mode what would be the point in upgrading it, only get miiverse.

Still would have been great if it worked for wii games that used the classic controller

Dryk

Damn, don't see why they can't patch some of the Wiimote's controls into the gamepad. They should be able to use the gyro for tilt, at least. I'd buy a Wii U if I could play the Kororinpa games on the gamepad.
Getting it mapped to a classic controller probably requires deeper changes to the Wii OS which could open up exploits. Hell it's even possible that they have a solution working internally but it's not safe to release.

I can only hope...

terrisus

As has been said countless times - people were expecting that games which just used the classic controller/that used no motion controls would be able to be played with the same buttons on the WiiU gamepad that they are on a Wii gamepad.

hwy_61

Banned

I'm more bummed that I can't use it for VC. This could've been a great way to get around porting every single Wii VC game over to Wii U.

Unai

No. As people already said, it was expected that the Gamepad could be used as a Classic Controller.

Edit: Beaten so hard.

Hopefully at tomorrow's direct they announce a bunch of Wii games are hitting the eShop as gamepad compatible versions

If not full games, then just patches for GamePad controls, Nintendo is able to get the display in, but controls might have to be game-by-game? So Nintendo and 3rd-parties like Capcom (MH Tri) and Sega (Sonic Colors, etc) can provide a free patch to enable CCPro being recognized as GamePad controls?

Could work.

I was hoping to play games that didn't require waggle, yes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I will potentially pay a solid £1 piece to the innovative gamer that holds a WiiU GamePad between their feet in bed with their loved one in the dark of night, and plays No More Heroes with the wii remote, charging up their saber-dick over and over with no headphones on at all and records it on live video.

This doodle may illustrate closer:
bqRgbE5.png

I want to see this. This is premium pay per view for me.

Try reading the thread next time before you blindly jump to the defense

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So obviously the Wii U detects Gamepad button presses because you get a prompt says Wii U Gamepad controls are not available in Wii mode.

The Wii U gamepad has independent functions of the system. It can activate simple overlays like the TV tuner even when the system is turned off.

I'm willing to bet that pressing a button on the pad when in Wii mode is just bringing up the "please understand" message which is now stored in the gamepad's firmware, like the TV tuner controls are.

So obviously the Wii U detects Gamepad button presses because you get a prompt that says Wii U Gamepad controls are not available in Wii mode.

Game Pad has its own firmware that could deal with that without it necessarily being 'an easy fix'.

Roto13

I generally prefer to play games on my Wiipad than on my TV but this is stupid and I'm never going to use it.

AzaK

Devolution is an emulator, and is subject to both the pros and cons of such an approach. The Wii mode on Wii U is a virtual machine that has, basically, 99.9% compatibility because it turns the Wii U into a Wii. That's why you don't have Gamepad support.

Nintendo controll the hardware and firmware though. They could add GamePad support to the Wii Firmware and treat it like a classic controller at least. Even if they forced you to have to use a wii remote to start the game (pointer) they could get the GamePad to ct like a side on digital wii remote.

Ignorant people expected that, people that don't know how Wii Mode works (like me) expected Classic Controller support on the pad, people that know how Wii Mode works only expected a portable monitor.

Darryl

Banned
Try reading the thread next time before you blindly jump to the defense

it still doesn't make sense even when you've read the thread. if you just call the feature what it is, "nintendo enables gamepad to be used as secondary screen for wii games" it's hard to imagine what the hostility is over. just a bunch of unrealistic expectations that someone tried to deflate for people before they ever even got into the thread.

Unai

The Wii U gamepad has independent functions of the system. It can activate simple overlays like the TV tuner even when the system is turned off.

I'm willing to bet that pressing a button on the pad when in Wii mode is just bringing up the "please understand" message which is now stored in the gamepad's firmware, like the TV tuner controls are.

Does the message also appears on the TV?

Nintendo controll the hardware and firmware though. They could add GamePad support to the Wii Firmware and treat it like a classic controller at least. Even if they forced you to have to use a wii remote to start the game (pointer) they could get the GamePad to ct like a side on digital wii remote.

Don't they use different signals though - bluetooth vs. WiFi?

Wii games without motion control? Utterly outlandish. So outlandish that Nintendo created a Wii controller that does exactly that. No one is expecting control schemes to be ovehauled for motion only games.

Anything that works on the Classic Controller Pro should work on the Gamepad. The concept is pretty damn straight forward.

They put the effort into mirroring the screen on the gamepad. But didn't put the effort into mapping CCP to Gamepad buttons. No excuse.

Toad.T

Banned
I'm probably one of the few people that has actual use for this update, warts and all. See, I have this set up where I can prop the WiiUPad on it's cradle thing and place that where I have my laptop propped on.

I can definitely feel empathy for those who can't have such luck as I and by the looks of these threads, there's a helluva lot of folks.

...This post is going to end up on @GAFShitPosts/Become a meme, isn't it? Welp, if so, then I say I hope you remember me for my past, and not for my future as a referential joke.

Would have been better if Nintendo had announced it and we would have known there was no Gamepad support as oppose to seeing off-tv and assuming we could use the gamepad. I'll definitely voice my belief in the Miiverse announcement that they should find a way to map the Classic Controller to the Gamepad but I'm not sure if it's possible based on how Wii mode detects controllers. Considering the classic controller allows you to navigate the Wii Menu without any Wii Remote imput at all I hope they can eventually figure a way to make it work. Looking back at my Wii collection (over 100 games) a significant amount allowed CC support. Off the top of my head the Rainfall games, a lot of fighting games, some FPS, Klonoa, A Boy and his Blob, NMH 2, Endless Ocean BW, multiple racers like Mario Kart, other rps, etc. Looking at my shelf there are well over 30 games that support it. Probably over 40. Adding CC support would be great.

Edit:

Sort of makes sense though, if you oculd play virtual console games on the gamepad in wii mode what would be the point in upgrading it, only get miiverse.

Still would have been great if it worked for wii games that used the classic controller

Now the idea that Nintendo wouldn't put in gamepad controls because of Wii U VC is in my head. I don't think it's the reason, but sadly it seems like something Nintendo would do to get upgrade payments.

All the complaints that people have are flying over my head. The only thing going through my brain is how awesome the iq will seem on the game pad screen. Ghetto dolphin alternative ftw!

jgdmizh3ud0kd.jpg

Oh well, no GamePad support. Seems super lazy to go this far and then stop just short of making it useful, but I suppose they want to keep the Classic Controller sales going. :|

I was initially excited until I finished reading the thread title that you can't use the gamepad to control it. I was annoyed and frustrated until I remembered this is Nintendo and they make stupid, nonsensical decisions.

I understand the disappointment over the lack of GamePad control, as it seems like a pretty serious oversight, but... to be honest, I still think it's a pretty cool feature to have (and I'll still hold out hope that we get GamePad -> Classic Controller/Gamecube Controller mapping someday, if possible.)

I guess I'm just sorta viewing this as another one of those "Oh, it can do that? That's neat" features that Wii U seems to build itself off of. Like, it's certainly not something everyone will use, but it's still a kinda neat thing to have. Maybe there are people out there who want to have Brawl or Mario Kart multiplayer sessions somewhere without a TV (an unrealistic and rather silly scenario in which they'd gather around a tiny GamePad screen, but I still think it's conceptually interesting.)

Still, I don't really mind propping my GamePad up on my desk or laying it on my lap and playing some horizontal-Wiimote games, so I'll just say I'm glad this update exists, but would still like to see more from it in the future.

Talamius

Game Pad has its own firmware that could deal with that without it necessarily being 'an easy fix'.

I'm sorry. I'm not buying the defense that emulating a controller is hard when people that write emulators have been doing it since the beginning of time. ESPECIALLY when Nintendo has complete hardware and software access to the device since, well, it's their device.

The feature should not have been released in this state.

Cbajd5

They put the effort into mirroring the screen on the gamepad. But didn't put the effort into mapping CCP to Gamepad buttons. No excuse.

Except the GamePad sends control signals over WiFi while the Wii Mode only takes in control signals over Bluetooth.

It's like asking for the PS2 to work with PS3 controllers.

I'm sorry. I'm not buying the defense that emulating a controller is hard when people that write emulators have been doing it since the beginning of time. ESPECIALLY when Nintendo has complete hardware and software access to the device since, well, it's their device.

The feature should not have been released in this state.

See above. If it's possible in any form it'd probably already be done for PC outside of the Web Browser Input Support -> Local Web Page -> PC stuff.

gogogow

jgdmizh3ud0kd.jpg

Oh well, no GamePad support. Seems super lazy to go this far and then stop just short of making it useful, but I suppose they want to keep the Classic Controller sales going. :|

I doubt a lot of people are still buying CCPro. But there was no way Nintendo could make Wii game compatible with the gamepad as a controller, unless Nintendo patches each and every game individually. But Nintendo could make Wii games that supports the CCPro compatible in a future patch. They could just spoof the Wii emulator thinking the Wii U gamepad is a CCPro.

Damn. The fact that they bothered to hack this feature through and release it makes me suspect there's a hardware level issue preventing mapping / spoofing the classic controller.

if they let you do it on Wii games, they'd have to let you do it on VC games, which means they then can't re-charge you again for VC games you already bought.

They basically turned the Wii U into one of these:

misc_gamecubescreen.jpg

only for a system that is already dead. Not exactly a hot feature in 2013.

hatchx

Banned
I am the only human on earth okay with using the Gamepad + Stand to play Wii Games at my desk/table....

C'mon, don't downplay how insanely close they are to awesomeness with this.

The WiiU gamepad IS a classic controller. It has all of the same buttons. This must get patched or release a dongle or something. It nearly defeats the purpose of allowing gamepad support.

Squishy3

I think this essentially boils down to:

Nintendo announces feature nobody was expecting at all.
Doesn't enable Gamepad as a controller in Wii mode.
GAF freaks out and some posters rage uncontrollably.
Nintendo rubs hands together mischeviously as they no longer are reading posts on GAF about how Super Mario 3D World isn't a 3D Mario and every thread about the eShop isn't filled with posts bitching about no proper account system.

I am the only human on earth okay with using the Gamepad + Stand to play Wii Games at my desk/table....

Yes, one of the only ones!

The pad screen is simply too small for it to be of any real benefit used in this way. Holding it in your hands is a different matter entirely.

Wouldn't allowing GamePad control for Wii games kind of throw a spanner in the works of Nintendo's plan to charge a fee to upgrade each individual Wii Virtual Console game to run on the GamePad?

Edit: Ah, Ninja Scooter pipped me to the post!

Top Bottom