• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Realistically this is probably a complete and utter non-issue for 99.9999999999% of consumers, but it's still kind of hilarious.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Region-locked controllers. So hilariously ridiculous I don't know what to do.

It's like they thought of every way they could make the Wii U an unappealing system and went with it.

Uh...why would they even bother putting time into doing that?

'Menu navigation is slow as hell? Oh, nevermind that, get back to work on making sure those controllers are region locked!'

Its only a problem once nintendo start selling gamepads @ retail if they ever do. A very small % of people may pick up a gampad when traveling in another region.

Shocked that nintendo went to so much trouble though.

saunderez

How is it anti-consumer when you can't even buy one separately?
I can buy a Japanese Wii U (unfortunately Nintendo can't prevent that) and the controllers won't be cross compatible with my other console due to a seemingly needless restriction. Seems anti consumer to me.

Bgamer90

Banned
Heh, wow. This is one of those cases in which the whole popular "...because Nintendo" line actually works. I can't think of anything else to say as to why they would do this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, that's annoying. Not to much of a surprise though, Gamecube memory cards were region locked too.

Gleethor

I can buy a Japanese Wii U (unfortunately Nintendo can't prevent that) and the controllers won't be cross compatible with my other console due to a seemingly needless restriction. Seems anti consumer to me.

If you buy a japanese Wii U it will come with the only controller from that region that you need.

crinale

I read the article. It really says that you can actually connect US controller to Japanese Wii U, or vice versa. However, the online update (didn't know it actually updates controller's firmware) recognizes the region of the controller and prevents you to progress.

ntropy

mj-laughing.gif

Which rules would this be? Honest question, i've never heard of different rules for transfering an image wireless.

Because you cannot transmit on the same frequency all around the world, because some frequencies are reserved to other stuff on other countries. And you actually need a certificate (At least in Germany, iirc) for stuff thats transmitting...

Don´t know alot about that stuff. But that could be a reason.

jimi_dini

So... you were planning to import a controller or something?

I imported one white PS3 controller from Asia, because they didn't sell them here at that time. So if Nintendo ever releases some special controller in one region only, there would be a reason to do so.

jaz013

Banned
Are the trolls for Atomix.vg coming here now? J/k...

I don't see the issue since you have to buy the damn thing along the console right now. Maybe it could be a problem if one region will not carry these separately in the future, but otherwise?, what's the problem?

i-Lo

I can't see how anyone would defend this.

Already happened in the first page.

Personally, I wasn't going to buy a WiiU anyway, but while in theory this is seems like an unnecessary high handed to approach to accomplish something (what is it I wonder) there are very few instances where an actual consumer may be affected.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I imported a Wavebird years ago because I had a bunch of playasia coupons to use.

Never had to use the word bonkers in my life but damn, this is bonkers.

18-Volt

Since when do we import controllers from Japan? It's clear that Nintendo don't want us westerners to buy or use stuff they made for their fellow Japanese customers. We have to deal with this. It's not like price difference is a lots between regions.

Sony and Microsoft don't do thing like this, because, y'know, they don't care about Japan anymore.

Actually the only people I can think this would affect would be people who move back and forth between regions and when 2 player support comes in on the few games that will support it, someone brings their American gamepad over to try and play.
I read the article. It really says that you can actually connect US controller to Japanese Wii U, or vice versa. However, the online update (didn't know it actually updates controller's firmware) recognizes the region of the controller and prevents you to progress.

So it actually it is a firmware issue.

iXEy5OuDiS5jf.gif

But seriously, aside from the standard discriminatory pricing reason (which probably sufficient for most people), I can't think of a reason why this would be too much of a problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

saunderez

Yeah, I'm wondering if they use a slightly different wireless standard for each region.
Don't see how that's even an issue when every wireless router I've ever used let's me pick a region that enforces any local wireless standards (channels etc)

Different standards across regions for image transfer/wireless communication?

I'm not surprised by this but I couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom