• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

BumRush

I know teens don't go to the movies as much as they used to but I wonder if Homecoming will get some of them back in the seats (aka I wonder if kids will see the younger focus of Peter's character and feel it resonates with them more than other films, especially MCU)

AndyVirus

There are no safe bets to $1B right now. Exchange rates are too poor.

Except Last Jedi.

Despite the reviews, I'd still say no on the "will Spider-Man hit 1b?" question. But I do at least think it can beat Guardians 2 now. Enough to be the highest grossing Spider-Man movie? We'll see.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wonder Woman might top Transformers this weekend.

200.gif

And I would definitely say "Under" on Spidey hitting $1B. $850-$900m I would guess.

kswiston

Except Last Jedi.

Despite the reviews, I'd still say no on the "will Spider-Man hit 1b?" question. But I do at least think it can beat Guardians 2 now. Enough to be the highest grossing Spider-Man movie? We'll see.

I was just talking about superheroes. Fate of the Furious was already a safe bet for $1B this year.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Wonder Woman might top Transformers this weekend.

200.gif

And I would definitely say "Under" on Spidey hitting $1B. $850-$900m I would guess.
I honestly don't see how it doesn't hit a billion. AS2 had worse reviews and domestic performance than the first Amazing Spider-Man film. Yet it still had a bigger international total. I'm expecting international numbers to be even bigger for this film, with domestic rebounding with the Marvel Studios production and the far greater reviews.

I honestly don't see how it doesn't hit a billion. AS2 had worse reviews and domestic performance than the first Amazing Spider-Man film. Yet it still had a bigger international total. I'm expecting international numbers to be even bigger for this film, with domestic rebounding with the Marvel Studios production and the far greater reviews.
Reviews don't have as much effect on the rest of the world, exchange rates are much lower now than they were when AS2 came out and the high school focus might not be as "attractive" worldwide.

zero_suit

Reviews don't have as much effect on the rest of the world, exchange rates are much lower now than they were when AS2 came out and the high school focus might not be as "attractive" worldwide.
True, although Spiderman being garbage for the past decade still hurts.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Exchange rates, mostly.

I don't really see a reason to think this is going to outperform Guardians 2's global performance.

Yep I'm going the same. $900m global. I think domestically it might not match Guardians 2 but do better Internationally

Same. I can see $350M domestic/$550M international for a $900M total.

kswiston

A Batman and Robin to Batman Begins increase for Homecoming over ASM2 would be $393M domestic. However, there were major changes in average ticket prices between 1997 and 2005, and hardly any change in the past 3 years. Adjusting for that, the increase would be closer to $300M.

Overseas, Batman Begins only improved 27% over Batman and Robin.

Peru

Feels like Spiderman with a solid critical response is the safest card Marvel could have. Should hit it big.

Slayven

Everyone already saw him in Civil War.

I am telling you putting SPidey and BP in Civil War will be looked back on as a master stroke by Marvel

I think they got Kangol helmets.

(I stopped riding my bike when a Ford Explorer hit my ass coming home from the store. That's the thing they don't tell you in Portland about getting on that bike and joining the bike friendly masses: It is guaranteed you are going to get hit by a car or doored within the year.)

I think they got Kangol helmets.

(I stopped riding my bike when a Ford Explorer hit my ass coming home from the store. That's the thing they don't tell you in Portland about getting on that bike and joining the bike friendly masses: It is guaranteed you are going to get hit by a car or doored within the year.)

omg wtf

Fuck Portland

At the very least, this will play out better than me saying it's possible Lego Batman will outgross Justice League earlier this year.

I think everybody kinda whiffed on Lego Batman

The other notable releases alongside Black Panther will be another Fifty Shades movie coming out the week before and Pacific Rim 2 coming out the week after.

omg wtf

Fuck Portland

Yeah, I don't know a single person who rides bikes in even a semi-consistent manner who doesn't have at least 2 or 3 stories of a driver smashing into them at some point. Some of the most exquisite pain I've ever felt in my fucking life came from some dude opening the door to his Lincoln Town Car right into my bike lane, right into my thigh, my speed (something like 20mph) causing me to cartwheel over the handlebars.

Fuck, the day I got married, on the way to pick up the license, literally 2 blocks from the building, I saw a woman get sideswiped by some dipshit in a Chevy Nova.

The sketch you linked is funny, but I also understand why people who ride bikes all day are like that. There are a lot of shitty motorists (talking both skill AND attitudinally) on the streets out here.

(I just ride the train now)

ANYWAY

I don't think it's all that implausible, the notion that Black Panther could make more than Spidey, domestically. I mean, we'll see what Spidey does, of course, but I just have a feeling about that film, and the multiple ways it's going to connect with a lot of people.

3N16MA

Banned
I think I had Homecoming at 850M last year before the trailers/reviews. Trailers were weak but it's getting positive reviews which I think helps. 900M sounds good.

I overestimate every MCU film.

kswiston

When I was a kid, some guy knocked on our door and informed us that one of my brothers was run over by a car on his bike. Luckily his bike took most of the running over, and he was just dragged a few feet under the bumper. No broken bones, but a lot of scraped skin.

It was on the sidewalk too, so nowhere is safe.

Slayven

Looking at the Schedule, the only real threat to BP is Pacific Rim

I have no basis for it, but I think PR will be pushed back.

3N16MA

Banned
When I was a kid, some guy knocked on our door and informed us that one of my brothers was run over by a car on his bike. Luckily his bike took most of the running over, and he was just dragged a few feet under the bumper. No broken bones, but a lot of scraped skin.

Was the driver backing out of a drive way or did he just jump the curb?

kswiston

Was the driver backing out of a drive way or did he just jump the curb?

Jumped the curve. They obviously weren't going that fast, so maybe it was an attempted u-turn or something. I didn't see the lead up.

We did see a 16 year old girl with her learners permit smash into the telephone pole on our front lawn going about 15 km/h with her mom in the passenger seat. It was like that scene from Bob's Burgers.

Slayven

When i was a kid, i was being a dick and hitting the back tire of my friend's bile with my front tire. They locked up and i flipped over the handlebars and landed face first on the street. I woke up in the hospital in the middle of Hurricane Hugo

3N16MA

Banned
Looking at the Schedule, the only real threat to BP is Pacific Rim

I have no basis for it, but I think PR will be pushed back.

I'm a fan of PR but nothing will threaten the King.

BP is setting up to be the best MCU film. Talent is off the charts.

I think Black Panther will do really well, probably one of the highest-grossing MCU debuts. But I don't see it reaching Spider-Man levels yet. Maybe with the sequel.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I honestly think good reviews matters as much Spider-Man as much as property like wonder man part of the advantages of Marvels track record is that people assume their movies will be good orang least serviceable. This anyone turned off by the movie is less likely to change their minds unless the reviews are exceptional as it doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict a good review response. Spidy is a big property so it was always going to do well so I think how well will be more determined by word of mouth more than anything.

Slay, Bron...this is kinda our little community within GAF...so I will ask you guys this question here...how badly do you want a BP game with the high production values of Spider-man PS4?

Cause as much as I want the movie, I fucking want that shit.

I want an mobile endless runner where you play as Bucky and you're just trying to escape your asswhooping from BP but you never can unless you buy the 10,000 dollar microtransaction

I really really hope they go all in on a BP game

BumRush

I think it's fairly possible Black Panther makes more than Spidey.

I'm really looking forward to it. Reviews + word of mouth + Black History month could combine to be a perfect storm of sorts. Only think I'd be concerned about is international appeal. Is he a well known character that will drive Europe and Asia to go?

Top Bottom