• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note - Official Trailer

It really isn't. I feel like all the people saying you can't have a character like the original Light in an American setting need to watch the excellent Better Luck Tomorrow by Justin Lin. It basically is about a group of Asian Americans (which Hollywood often seems to forget the existence of), and the fact they get away with a series of crimes because of who they are

Better-Luck-Tomorrow-Poster.jpg

It could've definitely worked with an Asian American in the role, but that was never in consideration.

SentryDown

Doesn't look that bad tbh, looks like they avoided the straight adaptation trap (aka showing two people discussing for hours) and tried to put more varied situations. The only thing I'm worried about is how long the intro will be, it was way too long in the anime IMO

Cyframe

Nah that makes no sense. Light is the epitome of privilege and the status quo he's the son of a police officer and genius elite on the fast track to an easy life it's the main bulk of his character. What your talking about is an entirely different story. Death note is note a revenge story and your not supposed to root for light.

So did you see the trailer or not? I'm guessing no. As someone else mentioned he's set up as an underdog from the trailers. No character traits from the manga or anime are showcased with this character.

With the US's structure you have so much variety that isn't possible in Japan due to the racial dynamics being more homogeneous comparably and so far, it looks like the ball is dropped with a bog standard white lead that looks as if they are taking nothing from the source material other than the name Kira.

Fury451

Banned
L and Light don't look great, and also seem like different people entirely.

Rest of it looks ok. Dafoe will be great I'm sure.

I still think going with what appears to be a scorned white dude as Light isn't pushing any boundaries. We've always had ansty white dude films. It would have been interesting to see Light as a minority lead, especially someone who is Asian (Japanese American) as a commentary on the US's race relations. A white lead is so typical that even Keith being cast as L doesn't offer up a real difference in perspective since the film is centered mostly around Light.

And I'm sorry but I really don't believe that they couldn't find an Asian actor who could speak English. If this was in the 90's without the advent of the internet I could understand(not really) but literally one tweet asking for an Asian actor to try out for Light and they would be flooded with Asian Americans, if their casting director was really that bad at their job, they should have hired another one. They just didn't want an Asian lead.

Expecting a 1 to 1 adaptation isn't what I would expect but I don't really understand the direction of this film. And I'm a huge of Death Note, and I'm just not amazed by anything regarding this production.

There would be a lot of problematic implications with a minority who mass kills people based on his own twisted agenda.

Not disagreeing with you, could've easily been Japanese American and that would've been good, just saying generic white dude is the safest bet.

akileese

L seems like he is going to be misused entirely. He should be an odd ball, awkward but still charming and intelligent. This guy seems eloquent and charismatic, and angry

Light is also miscast. Light is supposed to be the model of student perfection. Exactly the person you wouldn't suspect. I can totally buy a serial killer vibe off the guy playing him

If anything it seems like they could have switched the two around for a better portrayal

The first things I noticed. Part of what made Death Note work was the chemistry of Light and L. If you completely change their characters, their rapport is shot and the series as a whole becomes less enjoyable.

Because KIRA is literally Killer in Katakana. Katakana is a writing system for foreign words and for onomatopoeia in Japanese. I dont really understand why the original translation for the manga or anime didnt translate it as Killer or just make up an entirely new name but thats how it is.

When I was in the group for fansubbing the anime, we went with the manga scanlation as it just sounded better.

Boy those were the days. Toriyama's World, I miss you.

There would be a lot of problematic implications with a minority who mass kills people based on his own twisted agenda.

Not disagreeing with you, could've easily been Japanese American and that would've been good, just saying generic white dude is the safest bet.

This strikes me as concern trolling almost. People always keep saying this, but there really wouldn't be. It's a fictional movie. People aren't going to be making statements from it. And a white mass murderer is the "safest bet"? Based on what??

This strikes me as concern trolling almost. People always keep saying this, but there really wouldn't be. It's a fictional movie. People aren't going to be making statements from it. And a white mass murderer is the "safest bet"? Based on what??

Because White people are the default in American films.

Ruff

Not sure about the "We're not the good guys anymore" speech from light. Light never thought he was doing the slightest thing wrong through the series.

Kira and L meeting that quickly?

I gotta know the circumstances to lead up to that. Too soon on the tease.

And will L have a sweet tooth? He doesn't look like he's a sweet tooth kinda guy

Kira and L meeting that quickly?

I gotta know the circumstances to lead up to that. Too soon on the tease.

And will L have a sweet tooth? He doesn't look like he's a sweet tooth kinda guy

They meet pretty early in the show tbh

And I saw sprinkles/cupcakes when he slammed the phone down

Mistle

I'm excited for this but started thinking who would probably be the ideal creatives for a Death Note movie.. and I reckon a Fincher/Sorkin/Reznor combo would be pretty perfect

Starviper

Looks good for an adaptation. I think this will work better than how Ghost In The Shell went. Netflix is pretty damn on-point with their series.

Fury451

Banned

Not concern trolling. I even said a Japanese American would've been good. It would explain why the name is still Light, and I advocate for that with adaptations like this or Akira

People make all kinds of dumbass statements based off of fiction lately

White mass murderer is like having a Russian bad guy- you just kind of accept that it's a thing in American movies. I don't know. I seriously wouldn't read too much into that.

WHY IS LIGHT QUESTIONING HIS ACTIONS

WHY IS L MAKING PUBLIC APPEARANCES

That aside I'm sorta interested in this. Dafoe as Ryuk is perfect casting.

Not concern trolling. I even said a Japanese American would've been good. It would explain why the name is still Light.

People make all kinds of dumbass statements based off of fiction lately

White mass murderer is like having a Russian bad guy- you just kind of accept that it's a thing in American movies. I don't know. I seriously wouldn't read too much into that.

It's a story about a mass murderer. People are going to say dumb things regardless, but he's not ever portrayed as being a good person so I don't see the issue

I thought the Anime was really really bad. I had to force myself to finish it. Seems like this is going to be just as bad. The dude crouching on top of the chair is just... lmao it's time to stop

I'm excited for this but started thinking who would probably be the ideal creatives for a Death Note movie.. and I reckon a Fincher/Sorkin/Reznor combo would be pretty perfect

Oh god if they wasted their time on something like this it would be an absolute tragedy

Kard8p3

Correct me if I'm wrong(been a loooooong time since I watched/read DN) but isn't L supposed to be more calm? This dude's screaming and shit, so they must be going in a different direction. I'll probably give it a shot.

Exodust

Banned
Haha this looks horrible. Willem Dafoe will probably be good and I like what I saw from L, but the show itself looks dumb as hell.

Light looks like a huge douche which makes sense because Light is a huge douche. And L is played by Darius from Atlanta, so I'm on board for that casting at least.

Cyframe

This is a film about a killer notebook. What are people going to assume, that PoC will write names in a notebook? This is a really pathetic argument but it's the same argument that prevents actors of color from getting work.

We have films about white killers, hitler and nazi's, this one wouldn't hurt straying from the course of generic whiteness.

SeanC

I'm in for Wingard. Even though Blair Witch wasn't great, dude still did The Guest and You're Next so he's still in my good graces. He understands atmosphere so damn well I think it's a good fit for something like Death Note. Only major concern is the many drafts and incarnations the script has gone through, hopefully he'll wrangle all that in.

Top Bottom