• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attn: Dead Man et al, the MSI Windpad 110W is $350 at Big W online, including shipping! This is the one that looks to run Windows 8 beautifully and has a sweet-arse Radeon GPU for decoding video (will apparently do 1080p MKVs without breaking a sweat).

Thanks to reptile for the heads-up. Considering I was debating getting one at $500, $350 is a no-brainer.

Quick Shaneus, sell this too me. Why should I buy this one when I could go the Sony/Acer/Asus?

Shaneus

It's $350.

It has a dedicated GPU thanks to AMD's Fusion platform = 1080p MKVs without needing to re-encode.

It runs Windows 8 Preview as smoothly as you can get (as opposed to it being somewhat sluggish on Intel/Atom based tabs (from personal experience, mind you). The fact that Win7 is arse isn't due to the hardware but the software. If you can handle it for a few months, do it then grab Win8.

It's a portable PC.

It's not Android*.

3. Profit?

Could probably run it, but this is more intended as a lure for cods ;)

This is the one that looks to run Windows 8 beautifully and has a sweet-arse Radeon GPU for decoding video (will apparently do 1080p MKVs without breaking a sweat).
As I mentioned a few times I don't think it'll make a good tablet (as in portable, quick-to-boot, content consuming device).

But as a small form factor PC, I think it could do a pretty good job. I'm intrigued about its ability to decode 1080p video and output it to an external screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 via HDMI, while also passing through 7.1 sound. If it could do that, it would make a pretty good HTPC device.

Fredescu

It should be pretty quick to boot if you use hibernate right? It's an SSD so should be quick to go in and out of hibernate.

Dead Man

Attn: Dead Man et al, the MSI Windpad 110W is $350 at Big W online, including shipping! This is the one that looks to run Windows 8 beautifully and has a sweet-arse Radeon GPU for decoding video (will apparently do 1080p MKVs without breaking a sweat).

Thanks to reptile for the heads-up. Considering I was debating getting one at $500, $350 is a no-brainer.

Bought, thanks, and to reptile too!

As I mentioned a few times I don't think it'll make a good tablet (as in portable, quick-to-boot, content consuming device).

But as a small form factor PC, I think it could do a pretty good job. I'm intrigued about its ability to decode 1080p video and output it to an external screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 via HDMI, while also passing through 7.1 sound. If it could do that, it would make a pretty good HTPC device.

I'll let you know. And I think that is what I like, that is will function as a pc but with a tablet form factor. A pure tablet doesn't have much appeal to me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It should be pretty quick to boot if you use hibernate right? It's an SSD so should be quick to go in and out of hibernate.

W8 should have a quick boot anyone with it's quick boot feature!

It doesn't seem to hold it's power too long (4 hrs in idle and so) and it does need to be charged via a power outlet and not usb. I think you can do it via usb but it might take half a day to charge it.

Seems nice. I don't think I will bother picking one up as I have an iPad and while it could be fun to check out W8 on a tablet but i'm not willing to blow money on it :D

Shaneus

I can't verify the 7.1 over HDMI (I don't see why not, it's just transport) but numerous sources are saying it'll do 1080p no worries thanks to the dedicated GPU with full UVD3 support.

Edit: Yeah, it definitely does 1080p output. All the AMD Fusion chipsets do, which was the driving force behind my purchase of the x120e as a media device as well as a subnotebook.

Hibernate on a Windows device is incomparable to using an iOS/Android tablet, which are pretty much always on and respond instantly. Sleep on the device would be a better comparison though still a little slower.

And from cold boots iOS/Android devices would probably take as long.

Fredescu

Hibernate on a Windows device is incomparable to using an iOS/Android tablet, which are pretty much always on and respond instantly. Sleep on the device would be a better comparison though still a little slower.
True, but I think I'd prefer the battery savings from hibernate. It's not a phone, so you don't really need instant on, though as you point out, you can have it if you want it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Everyone throwing money around willy nilly on tablets, You're all nuts.

I can't justify it. Let everyone know how it goes though :D

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Everyone throwing money around willy nilly on tablets, You're all nuts.

I can't justify it. Let everyone know how it goes though :D

I did too, then the payment buggered up.. pretty lucky too logged into my bank account to check if it went through or not.. i'm $200 short for rent thats due in 15 days lol

Agyar

So I signed up to that site. Does it tell you on that site what the different exercises actually are? None of the names mean anything to me (beyond the obvious stuff).

It does, if you mouse over an exercise. That said, if you're looking for more resources on specific exercises, http://www.exrx.net/ is a fantastic site.

Edit: I made an AusGAF group, called "AusGAF". It's public for the moment, so just search for AusGAF and add yourself.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
At least it has to be better than that mystery purchase, right? Right?

The mystery purchase was awesome. $10 for something Terrible fantastic.

The device does sound awesome especially when hooked up with W8. Hopefully it lasts until W8 becomes final and becomes even better once software starts hooking itself into metro.

Super jealous about what the future could hold for it but my iPad and random browsing on it at 6am in the morning is good enough for me.

Yo, AusGAF, I heard you like stats (and if you didn't, too bad), so here are some stats from AusGAF 5*:

110 days (14th Nov 2011 - 3rd March 2012)
181.42 posts per day
181 unique posters (23 posted 1 time, 20 posted 2 times, 13 posted 3 times, 11 posted 4 times, 7 posted 5 times, 12 posted more than 500 times)

Busiest day of the week:
v6NZs.png

When everyone posts:
FV57S.png

Frequency of random words (note, this is only from the first 256 characters of posts):
AGZPN.png

The highest three posters were Jintor (1194 posts), Choc (1293 posts) and reptilescorpio (1497 posts). Let's see how these guys post by...

... day of the week:
KpZKB.png

... hour of the day:
psdiI.png

If you want access to the raw data used, I've made it available in Google Docs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMHFKjEhpwUdGY3SFg0STRrZUFfRTJBcmlkNmJ5MHc#gid=0

* This is not quite all the posts from the thread, but a good enough indicator.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I love those stats.

I remember getting a monthly web based stat report from IRC if you happen to be running the bot for it, Was awesome.

Unfortunately it was too much work to try and create a true frequency analysis to get the most-used words, and considering it's only the first 256 characters I didn't think it was worth it, so instead just threw in some random words off the top of my head.

Interesting that 'good' is three times more prominent than 'bad'. Relentless... positivity?

Salazar

This has probably been posted before, but fuck it, I am posting it again because it pretty shows how insane Clive Palmer is and how much he must believe his own bullshit - http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...about-me-or-our-democracy-20120304-1ub09.html

Amazing.

Beating his wobbly chest about being a rich man, and disgracing the memory of his family members by dragging their war service into a spat where it is breathtakingly irrelevant.

I wish this man ill. I would rather he exit public life - not necessarily life itself - by undignified, sudden, harsh, and unpleasant means.

Could probably run it, but this is more intended as a lure for cods ;)
th_giant-burnsauce.gif

It might seem like I don't like Windows 7 or 8, but I actually do. 8 in particular has a lot of potential but it needs a bit of work still to realise that potential. I'm interested in how touch performs on tablets running 8, whether it's just a mouse cursor (as it is with 7) or proper touch detection...

This has probably been posted before, but fuck it, I am posting it again because it pretty shows how insane Clive Palmer is and how much he must believe his own bullshit - http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...about-me-or-our-democracy-20120304-1ub09.html

Amazing.

I wanna go eat some cake now.

Sweet jesus.

he should not just be concerned with the rights of workers but the rights and needs of all Australians.

Sure Clive. Because the working people of Australia are just having a great time right now. It's the billionaires that are struggling.

It would be far better for the Treasurer to face the truth that he personally doesn't know how the economy works

Huh. There you go. The treasurer. The best treasurer in the world doesn't know how the economy works.

Democracy means respecting the rights of all.

No it doesn't Clive. I've stopped being sarcastic now. It's easier just to point out his errors

That our family members served and died in the First World War and four of them served in the Second World War.

Because that's relevant to the discussion.

So essentially he has a massive whinge about "freedom of speech" to the FFA (which he was never denied) and then has another whinge about Swan exercising his.

National.Fucking.Treasure

markot

Banned
I wish I had the money to buy Dick Smith from Woolies.

Then I could call the big stores 'big dick smith' >.>!

Card Boy

Banned
I think my head is going to explode from that SFvTekken DLC on disc thread. There is a Defence force for everything on Gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom