• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't know what to make of this "news"

Fio

Worst news ever. wtf ???? What a waste. I've been expecting a traditional WRPG, the NDS claims for it, and the best oportunity is thrown away.
And the worst is yet to come, Bioware probably will add voice action in the game. =/

ant1532

Banned
Borys said:
Winner.

Exactly.

Now when do we get some screens?
Yep, a lot of Gaf is bein retarded and just hatin because they think it is cool and funny or somethin.

Let me just say it one more time

This might be the best Sonic game in a while. Can't ****ing wait.

**** the haters as there is no reason to hate.

Bioware is making a sonic game. Not Sega. There is no reason for his friends to be considered shitty any more given this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ant1532 said:
Bioware is making a sonic game. Not Sega. There is no reason for his friends to be considered shitty any more given this.

And you think Sega has no say in what Bioware does with it?

Kintaro said:
And you think Sega has no say in what Bioware does with it?
And that would be bad because? Besides it's not like Bioware went into this deal just to be bossed around. I mean it's freaking Bioware!
mentalfloss said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1111111

What happened to BG 3???
It was never coming for DS, if that's what you're trying to say.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any chance they will introduce NEW shitty friends into the fold?? I'm hoping for a platypus!

plank

I'm calling it.

Sonic The Hedgehog based off the Archie comics series.

You've heard it here first folks. :D

The first reply for this topic was my reaction also, no idea how to react to the words Sonic, RPG, Bioware and DS all together so I just laughed. :lol

WTF?

Its not Sega so thats a good start, but its a Sonic.... RPG..... ? I guess it could be ok? Should we be excited? I'm confused by the words, don't fit how they should! :lol

Hopefully it rocks, another high profile (possibly awesome) DS title to add to the pile at least. Ahh good times indeed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fio Maravilha said:
Worst news ever. wtf ???? What a waste. I've been expecting a traditional WRPG, the NDS claims for it, and the best oportunity is thrown away.
And the worst is yet to come, Bioware probably will add voice action in the game. =/

Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Jesus christ people.

OMG IT HAS SONIC GONNA SUXXXXXX

I know it has a fantastic awesome developer buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu SONIC!@~!@!~

bigmakstudios said:
meh. I'd much prefer a (good) Sonic platformer.

.. And you have a sequel to the best Sonic platformer since the Genesis games coming out this fall.

Tarazet

I think this could be fantastic as long as they abandon the cheerful shit and go as dark as possible - you know, like Shadow, only with some substance.

probune

plank said:
I'm calling it.

Sonic The Hedgehog based off the Archie comics series.

You've heard it here first folks. :D

Oh GOD I hope not. As someone who collected those comics for many, many, many years, I hope they never have anything whatsoever to do with the comic books.

allarise

I agree with the sentiment that Sonic is a series that is based on speed and action, not story and character (cornerstones of any RPG) This is why most all 3D iterations have sucked, it's a game that works on a very linear narrow path.

So.. I don't know. I think most people are upset, or stymied, by the fact that they feel an original game is being missed out on in favor of a divisive mascot character with a debatable universe.

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,” said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,” added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

Ahhhhhhhhhh who knows.

3rdman

Conrad Link said:
The first reply for this topic was my reaction also, no idea how to react to the words Sonic, RPG, Bioware and DS all together so I just laughed. :lol

WTF?

Its not Sega so thats a good start, but its a Sonic.... RPG..... ? I guess it could be ok? Should we be excited? I'm confused by the words, don't fit how they should! :lol

Hopefully it rocks, another high profile (possibly awesome) DS title to add to the pile at least. Ahh good times indeed.
Its ****ING Bioware!!!! MDK2....They've done more than just RPGs and they are truly a premier developer...This is nothing but great news!

ZeoVGM

Banned
probune said:
Oh GOD I hope not. As someone who collected those comics for many, many, many years, I hope they never have anything whatsoever to do with the comic books.

I absolutely hope they do.

The SatAM/comic universe is easily the best out of the multiple Sonic universes.

And even if you don't like it, it's hard to argue the Sonic Adventure universe with an overwhelming amount of humans and annoying characters is any better.

TreIII

probune said:

It wouldn't be unexpected if it happened, but I do agree. The Archie/SatAM-verse is basically too steeped in its own mess to really hope for something good to happen.

My main hope is that when they do this, they'll do this game in the context of their "own" Sonic world, just like the Comics and traditional Sonic games are their own thing. Freeing Sonic from the hogwash of the last few years, and allowing Bioware do their own thing could be a good thing, after all.

For instance, I could easily see Bioware directing a nice "coming of age" story that actually does something to retell Sonic's origins, how he hooked up with Amy, Tails and Knux, and directed his personal, albeit laid-back, campaign against Eggman. And if they MUST introduce a new character, let it be a Bioware style custom character who doesn't say anything beyond what you choose from a dialogue tree.

probune

omg rite said:
I absolutely hope they do.

The SatAM/comic universe is easily the best out of the multiple Sonic universes.

And even if you don't like it, it's hard to argue the Sonic Adventure universe with an overwhelming amount of humans and annoying characters is any better.

The SatAM universe would be great, but the comic's gone a little off the rails since adhering to that storyline. There was a point sometime a few years ago when they started doing really terrible things to the universe - one of them was when Sonic got "tossed in space" or whatever and came back a year later. It was essentially a reboot for another writer to put his ideas in place and they were TERRIBLE. There was some ugly robot chick, some kind of computer AI that turned out to be really evil, etc. etc. It was just terrible!

So many things like that happened over the years that it really makes it difficult to want a game set in that universe.

But like I said I'd love a game set to the SatAM universe.

YYZ

it's kind of sad when we find out that Sega themselves aren't developing this and it's good news.

edit: wikipedia has not been updated yet, I think.

probune said:
The SatAM universe would be great, but the comic's gone a little off the rails since adhering to that storyline. There was a point sometime a few years ago when they started doing really terrible things to the universe - one of them was when Sonic got "tossed in space" or whatever and came back a year later. It was essentially a reboot for another writer to put his ideas in place and they were TERRIBLE. There was some ugly robot chick, some kind of computer AI that turned out to be really evil, etc. etc. It was just terrible!

So many things like that happened over the years that it really makes it difficult to want a game set in that universe.

But like I said I'd love a game set to the SatAM universe.

The comic's gotten a lot better in more recent issues, thanks to a writer named Ian Flynn. He knows what the games are about and what fans have wanted to see happen to the comic, and he's doing his damnedest to make it happen, barring limitations forced upon him. Tons of dangling plot points are being cleaned up and resolved, and the comic's actually a bit enjoyable to read again. 175 in particular was a pretty harsh, but interesting installment, where Eggman pretty much launches a full-out assault on Sonic's home base and REALLY rips it apart. And their 1-on-1 spar has some pretty brutal dialogue/mind games.

I don't think I'd want to see an RPG in the SatAM universe exclusively at this point, but I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of cameo or small scenario featuring slightly reimagined versions of those characters. But featuring the whole game around it would result in an absolute "WTF," and I think the source is just going to seem too dated now, versus the Sonic X image and standardized cast people are used to now. (Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Amy/Eggman, Shadow, to a lesser degree Rouge and Big.) Blaze may be perceived as "normal" cast now, but even that's not sure. And they seem to be phasing out Rouge.

Grecco

I guess this is the same reaction people had when Super Mario RPG was announced

Its from Square so its cool

but Mario RPG? WTF!

:lol Chill people

So, let me understand this.

Good license gets bad developer = Hate
Good license gets unproven developer = hate
Bad license gets good developer = hate
Bad license gets bad developer = hate

That about cover the spectrum of hate here?

ant1532

Banned
This game is going to be amazing and everyone is going to shut up with all this hatin and then all the posers are gunna stop with the Sonic friends crap and hop on the Sonic RPG is the best sonic ever train.

ShockingAlberto said:
So, let me understand this.

Good license gets bad developer = Hate
Good license gets unproven developer = hate
Bad license gets good developer = hate
Bad license gets bad developer = hate

That about cover the spectrum of hate here?
I think you're missing Good license gets ****ing awesome developer=hate

probune

Kulock said:
The comic's gotten a lot better in more recent issues, thanks to a writer named Ian Flynn. He knows what the games are about and what fans have wanted to see happen to the comic, and he's doing his damnedest to make it happen, barring limitations forced upon him. Tons of dangling plot points are being cleaned up and resolved, and the comic's actually a bit enjoyable to read again. 175 in particular was a pretty harsh, but interesting installment, where Eggman pretty much launches a full-out assault on Sonic's home base and REALLY rips it apart. And their 1-on-1 spar has some pretty brutal dialogue/mind games.

Yeah, Ian Flynn was a guy who I used to talk to on messageboards many years ago. I read one of his fanfics back in the day, it was pretty good. But really anything in the universe isn't as good as it once was with the changes they made.

Jirotrom

ant1532 said:
This game is going to be amazing and everyone is going to shut up with all this hatin and then all the posers are gunna stop with the Sonic friends crap and hop on the Sonic RPG is the best sonic ever train.
Yep...this game will be great. Bioware Rocks The house!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
o.0

o.0

Odd. Well, its in the hands of someone with talent. I really want to see what this is going to look, and play like.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is rather bittersweet since I love Bioware, but would not shred a tear if that blue hedgehog never graced another video game again. Sure it might be the best Sonic game, but that doesnt say much in the first place, and more importantly there are thousands of better licenses Bioware could have used for a DS game.

But hey Im gonna buy it most likely if it turns out well just so theres a better chance of another Bioware game on the DS.

G4life98

oolong_pancake.jpg

weird...

Top Bottom