• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

If anyone could help me with a question that would be great. At this point I'm just working towards finishing all the shrines and then of to the end. However I remember a Treehouse demonstration from last year's E3 where Bill and another Nintendo employee were playing, they talked to Kass and then said they weren't going to head in a certain direction because they didn't want to show it. Anyone know what area that was? I know there are places I haven't been yet I'm just curious if anyone remembers that specific locale.

TheMoon

They all look different from each other. Every amiibo gives a variant of Link's so-called "classic" green tunic, and the 'of The Wild' one is one more variant.

No, no, I meant it wasn't a classic tunic variant. I don't have all the shrines yet so I haven't really seen it yet.

?

You can totally attack while walking in Skyward Sword. I don't remember that being an option in the Gamecube Twilight Princess though (maybe it's in the Wii version?), but I could be wrong since I played that a long time ago.

Anyway, point is I remember people raising a fuss about not being able to attack while moving, it was then added, but now it's not available in BotW again.

Twilight Princess Wii was the lawn mower game. You could literally run around swinging your sword all over the place like a mand man.

Chinbo37

Well I finished the game last night. what a ride. I know the game has already been discussed a lot but I wanted to drop my thoughts.

I received the game on 6 March from Amazon UK (Wii U version). I have been playing it steadily since then but I dont have tons of time to game. I need to check the timer but I must have around 120-130 hours.

Initially my goal was to do the whole game without a walk through or without looking anything up. I nearly did it but at the end i had about 3 shrines and a couple of memories which I looked up cause I just wanted to finish the game.

Generally the game was amazing. I would give it 9/10. I loved the lore, the graphics, the world. The story was good, not amazing but it was good. Combat was good. I woudl have liked some more enemy variety. after about half way though the game I just stopped fighting random mobkins and bobokins and whatever. I had already killed a lot and gotten all the monster parts I needed really. So I didnt see any reason to break my weapons fighting them.

Personally I loved the Divine Beast dungeons or whatever, those were a lot of fun. Guardians were great enemies to fight as well (the mobile ones).

Its hard to pick a favorite part of the game for me it was all really good. I also really loved the Kass shrine quests.

I didnt do all the side quests but at some point I just realized I only cared about getting all shrines, memories and a good amont of seeds (I finished with 250, no guide for seeds). Since the side quests mostly give rupees (which I have plenty of from selling gems) I didnt really feel the need to do all of them.

Oh also I really loved the shrines. Specifically the puzzle ones. Some were more complex than others but they were a blast.

I think I need a break from Zelda at this point so I am just going to purchase the DLC and then wait for the second half to be released before I jump back in. Hard mode sounds fun but I dont think Ill have time to play it at least not in the next 5 years. Too much backlog to work through.

Congrats Nintendo that was a wild ride. Great game.

Orgen

Got all the Shrines yesterday. Now I'm only missing some sidequests, some DLC items and the Trials. I think I'll save the Master Mode for the release date of the 2nd DLC.

Red

I am in the yiga place for the Gerudo beast. I figured I would forgo stealth since I am so well equipped and took one of the big guys head on. I was not prepared.

kennah

I am in the yiga place for the Gerudo beast. I figured I would forgo stealth since I am so well equipped and took one of the big guys head on. I was not prepared.

Doesn't matter how well you are equipped they will one shot you. You have to stealth through.

WPS

How do you get through the closed gates if they see you?

You have to kill them all.

You can fight them, it's just nigh impossible since they summon friends when they first see you, every one in the room immediately agros on you, they can teleport and have infinite attack power. IIRC they only drop their cool swords if you beat them head on instead of stealth killing them.

I've found the best way to fight them is to stun lock them against a wall, but good luck fighting more than one at once.

Jackano

Blasted my way through Expert Mode since Friday 30th.
So I'll leave it to you here.

PSA : By the way, to me it looked like you definitely have to beat all 4 divine beast to spawn a Gold Lynel.

maxcriden

You literally have a giant open world filled with so many more puzzles than any other Zelda, between the shrines and those in the overworld, that i still don't know how this can be seen as an issue. Also the main problem with the beasts is the size, not the puzzle design/mechanics. Ruta and Naboris in particular are brilliant, and so is Hyrule Castle.

Also not sure how writing is worse than previous Zelda, and nobody seems to mention how well directed the cutscenes are.

About the story, as i said in the thread about the dlc the problem isn't what is told, but how. The devs made the choice to tell you what happened 100 years ago from fragments of Link's memory that you only get to see in cutscenes, which makes sense from a gameplay perspective considering they went for a non intrusive narrative that didn't take you away from exploration too much (aka what people were asking vocally until last year), but this choice obviously has some drawbacks.

A large party of the story is in the past, some of the best characters are in the past, and you don't get to be invested in those things as much as if you had played them directly. Hopefully i'm right and the dlc2 will address this, in that case (and if it's done well) there wouldn't really be a problem anymore. The game could end up having one of the best stories in the series as a whole, because what it wants to tell is already good. It just needs to get you more invested in that.

Sorry man, I kept meaning to reply to your post and it was in the back of my mind, it's just been a busy several weeks....

Technically, if we put aside the Korok seeds (which are fun but have a limited number of puzzle types), or at least reduce them to their number of puzzle types, I don't know that the game features more puzzles than any other Zelda. I would think for example in TP or SS the combined # of puzzles across dungeons and the overworld is similar to those found in BOTW, but maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

Many of the shrines we've encountered (about half of those in the game total) have no puzzles at all. Some of them have very clever puzzles that we liked a lot, specifically Speed of Light, and one dungeon-esque shrine at the end of the Goron Mine Coaster, Blue Flame, was memorably reminiscent of classic 3D Zelda dungeon areas. With that said, we personally didn't care so much for the multi-solution environmental puzzles available in many shrines. I understand this sort of puzzle is of great interest to some, it is just not our thing and we find more satisfaction in the traditional style of Zelda puzzles where there is usually one solution. So, for us it becomes an issue that despite the number of puzzles they don't offer the sort of puzzle we are seeking.

As to the design of the beast dungeons, I can only speak to our experience with one, as we've only played the Goron one so far. So, I'm glad to hear the design of the others is notably good. I'll look forward to that when we revisit the game, then. If the main problem remains the size, though, I'm glad to know that as it tempers my expectations a bit.

You make a good point regarding cutscene direction. I haven't given that enough credit but it is done well. I think the previous Zelda games have excelled at this also, but maybe I don't have the knowledge base to recognize an additional level of skill in directing shown herein.

As to the writing itself, in terms of the depth and characterization, I think it is not as deep as that in some of the previous games, specifically Majora's Mask comes to mind as a high water mark for the series when it comes to providing expansive depth to characters. There are so many NPCs that of the ones we have encountered, main story and sidequest characters, few have been memorable or had any complexity in characterization shaded into them. There are still some areas we've haven't gone to, but after 110+ hours we were disappointed in the lack of depth of characterization. The main story plotting itself mostly feels generic from what we have encountered (several memories and some of the main stories). I agree with what you wrote about the advantages though (and the drawbacks) of having much of the story told via flashback.

I also wrote some additional thoughts regarding our experience so far with the game in this thread.

BTW, when I see screens and think of how much of Hyrule we've left unexplored, I do get some yearning to return....especially with the addition of the Hero's Path and the Korok Mask.

Hybris

Think I'll finally jump into this when I'm finished my dishonored 2 replay... and hopefully complete my time with it before MHXX releases. Any tips for a new player?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Think I'll finally jump into this when I'm finished my dishonored 2 replay... and hopefully complete my time with it before MHXX releases. Any tips for a new player?
Talk to every NPC and pay attention to what they say. Read every book in the game and pay attention to what you read. Following roads is also a good idea when you enter a new region.

maxcriden

Talk to every NPC and pay attention to what they say. Read every book in the game and pay attention to what you read. Following roads is also a good idea when you enter a new region.

Great advice. And, remember, you don't need to write anything down. Just take screenshots of things you want to make a note of.

Hybris

Great advice. And, remember, you don't need to write anything down. Just take screenshots of things you want to make a note of.
Thanks, good tip on the screenshot button. I probably would have neglected that.

#SwitchBoys

So I just recently started and my next main quest is to head toward
Impa? I just met the King and he gave me the paraglider.
But my question is, can I just run around and do a bunch of shrines and towers first? I just did the Trial of Power.

Red

#SwitchBoys

So I just recently started and my next main quest is to head toward
Impa? I just met the King and he gave me the paraglider.
But my question is, can I just run around and do a bunch of shrines and towers first? I just did the Trial of Power.
I have completed 115 shrines, unlocked every tower, beat Ganon, and have downed three divine beasts. Still haven't been to Impa. You do you.

You miss some content this way. Some significant characters don't appear and certain creatures and enemies don't spawn until after you meet Impa for the first time. You'll also be unable to initiate a few quests that require a rune you will be unable to acquire (and the game does a poor job indicating you are missing this requirement—it is better to be aware).
Doesn't matter how well you are equipped they will one shot you. You have to stealth through.
Sounds like a challenge.

OmegaDL50

MY SWITCH IS HERE!!! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Amazon Courier showed up on my doorstep not even 10 minutes ago, I'm all setup and now waiting for the mailman to drop off my copy of Zelda and I can finally start this.

Got my expansion passed redeemed too. I just need my game and I can begin.

So I haven't been playing this game for a month or so now. I abandoned my 200+ save file and started a new game on Master Mode (on a new profile because I want the play time to be counted separately)... and boy, I guess it's due to the break I took from the game, but I'm again spellbound by its beauty as if I'm playing it for the first time.

Still on the plateu, and been doing a "naked run" so far just to see how long I can keep it up and it's been a lot of fun running away for dear life from blue bokoblins knowing they can probably one-hit kill me in this state.

Did this thread reach max number of posts or something? My previous post isn't showing up...

Edit: ok it's working now. I swear I refreshed multiple times and it wasn't showing until I posted again.

Deku Tree

Majoras Mask makes traveling the over world kind of a joke. Master mode more like easy mode. Although it is choose your own difficulty when you want it which I like ..

Wollan

Just had my greatest experience so far in the game.

I visited
Eventide Island. Just a perfect culmination of what-can-I-expect-here-mystery and having to use the various base skills I've learned throughout the game. I guess I was kind of overpowered having all four divine beast powers but I had a blast. Also the first time I fought one of the cyclops.
All the best elements of the game came together just perfectly.

Now I'm ready to face Ganon. I have one final memory to discover
and I looked it up so I know it's at the castle itself.

I guess I should save prior to the final encounter if I want to play past the credits?

I visited
Eventide Island. Just a perfect culmination of what-can-I-expect-here-mystery and having to use the various base skills I've learned throughout the game. I guess I was kind of overpowered having all four divine beast powers but I had a blast. Also the first time I fought one of the cyclops.

I guess I should save prior to the final encounter if I want to play past the credits?

Defeated all the Divine Beasts before fighting a single Hinox... smh

dLMN8R

I visited

If you liked that area, then you'll absolutely love the DLC :-D

You don't really need to manually save since the game is auto-saving all the time anyway. Once you beat the game your previous autosave will automatically know that you've beaten the game.

DonShula

I visited

If you liked that a lot, you should get the DLC. Same type of premise.
Start with nothing, use what you pick up wisely.

Wollan

Defeated all the Divine Beasts before fighting a single Hinox... smh
Pushover compared to the Lynels. :p
Heck, the divine beast boss battles were pushovers compared to Lynels.
I saw one Hinox sleeping once when messing around close to the Rito's but decided not to at the time.

Have the DLC so that's great to hear (and that part is already unlocked but I've yet to try it).

Wollan

This is pretty amazing considering
Urbosa's Fury lets you kill a Hinox before it can even stand up. The challenge in killing one is effectively gone
I didn't know what to expect so I was rigging up a trap by grouping some explosive barrels together and more. This is how it went:
1. Rolled two stones down the hill hitting him with small damage while sleeping.
He starts coming up the hill and around the bend on Eventide.
2. Using magnets I smashed one of the steel crates into the explosives which did a good amount of damage.
3. Using the last remainding steel crate I was smashing him until it broke.
4. Shot a arrow in his eye. While he was kneeling I tried to grab the steel ball with my hands as I wasn't sure if it was possible or not. Wasn't.
5. Blasted him with two Urbosa's Fury and down he went.

DonShula

I didn't know what to expect so I was rigging up a trap by grouping some explosive barrels together and more. This is how it went:
1. Rolled two stones down the hill hitting him with small damage while sleeping.
He starts coming up the hill and around the bend on Eventide.
2. Using magnets I smashed one of the steel crates into the explosives which did a good amount of damage.
3. Using the last remainding steel crate I was smashing him until it broke.
4. Shot a arrow in his eye. While he was kneeling I tried to grab the steel ball with my hands as I wasn't sure if it was possible or not. Wasn't.
5. Blasted him with two Urbosa's Fury and down he went.

Interesting... I'm pretty sure I WAS able to steal the ball. But I fought him a few times I honestly can't remember which one was the last one.

maxcriden

I've heard tales of that particular round object being stolen by a swift-footed adventurer or two, but can't say I was able to myself.

Red

I finished Naboris. I didn't really ever have a full understanding of the interior layout, so I connected circuits until something started to move and then went forward as far as I could. I didn't like it as much as Rudania. The central room was easy to understand but there are other sections that move independently of your map control that aren't communicated until you complete the circuits. I didn't really like that. Thunderblight Ganon was more difficult here than in the sanctum.
Difficult to get him with those metal rods when he flies way up, and easy to lose track of him in the huge room. Still, with rubber armor he's not much of a challenge.

I beat all the dudes in the yiga clan pretty easily.
Charge a spin attack and let it go when the big guys pop up near Link, this knocks them down and makes them poof away. Charge up an attack again and keep knocking them down and they'll never get a hit in.

Not entirely sure if how I'm going about life is "right," but I do like how there's a sense of the main mission (recently was go to the science lab, now go to some other science lab) but everything else is totally up to you. I've been just wandering around finding towers and shrines. This last tower was ridiculous. It was at the top of a mountain/castle and there were flying laser beam shooting guardians all over the place.

At what time am I 'ready' to go to the castle?

I have all the divine beasts, the Master Sword, the Hylian shield and one full row of hearts.

Is that enough to defeat Ganon? I know you can technically defeat him right away, but I mean can I do it now comfortably.

Orgen

I have all the divine beasts, the Master Sword, the Hylian shield and one full row of hearts.

Is that enough to defeat Ganon? I know you can technically defeat him right away, but I mean can I do it now comfortably.

Yep, having the divine beasts is a huge help in the battle.

Anteo

2 divine beasts and lvl 2 hylian armor was enough for me the fuest time. Be sure to bring lots of food just in case.

The thing is that ganon becomes weaker with every beast you defeat.

maxcriden

I managed to pull it off, so it's certainly doable.

Color me impressed! That is a tricky feat.

Not entirely sure if how I'm going about life is "right," but I do like how there's a sense of the main mission (recently was go to the science lab, now go to some other science lab) but everything else is totally up to you. I've been just wandering around finding towers and shrines. This last tower was ridiculous. It was at the top of a mountain/castle and there were flying laser beam shooting guardians all over the place.

One of the best aspects of the game is that there is no right or wrong way to go about things. You mean the Akkala tower, right? That was tricky. We missed it on our way up, but apparently there are some environmental tricks to getting up there a bit more easily.

TheMoon

I guess we have different definitions of the word 'stealth' lol.

I expressed myself poorly there. I meant the sneaky bits of stealth specifically. As you can just
fly over them, as someone else pointed out a while ago in another thread(?).

Top Bottom