• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
Cedi osman would be a pretty decent get, especially with the euro synergy the knicks have going on with hernangomez/porzingis/kuzminskas/ntilikina. Would probably force us to take RJ/Frye/Shump though smh.

Could totally see David Blatt coaching the team if Horny gets fired, especially since he was teammates with our president Steve Mills back in Princeton :l

Cleveland's 2018 1st, Zizic, and Osman in a vacuum would probably get it done. It's the salary filler that kills it.

"Knicks have been informed that Oklahoma City is one of the other teams Carmelo Anthony has included on his list, team sources told ESPN" - @IanBegley

I'm not sure Westbrook, PG and Melo make sense together but it could be fun.

jdstorm

Banned
can you pass me the blunt? why would melo, who has been extremely adamant in not waiving his NTC for anywhere but Houston, waive it for OKC in exchange for PG and Westbrook?

He wouldn't waive it for Boston, not Cleveland, not SA, not OKC. He wants to play with his buddy CP3 and the Knicks are blueballing him, made even more evident by the press conference the FO had today. Knicks would rather hold onto melo than trade for 3 years of Ryan Anderson in an already overcrowded frontcourt (thanks phil).

edit: realize the proposal was to move pg and westbrook to team up with melo in ny, still a crazy thought lol @_@

"Knicks have been informed that Oklahoma City is one of the other teams Carmelo Anthony has included on his list, team sources told ESPN" - @IanBegley

LOL

mjp2417

Banned

Kanter, Ferguson, McBuckets, and OKC's 2018 1st maybe? Seems pretty similar in value to what the Cavs would likely be willing to give up.
edit: Just checked and OKC doesn't own their pick next year and I'm not sure if the Jazz pick they do own would be tradable within CBA rules given the protections.
double edit: I misread and that Jazz pick is now owned by the T-Wolves from the Rubio trade (that must have been part of the Kanter trade originally). So OKC doesn't really have any 1st rounders to trade for a long time.

jdstorm

Banned
Presumably Russ and PG won't be going back to New York in this trade.

Obviously. I just found it amusing.

Don't think anything will happen. Trading for Melo doesn't really fit Sam Presti's MO. The only person on the NY roster that he would want is Porzingis. Especially with Patterson on the team in the "Melo" Role.

Edit: if i were making a wild guess, OKC may be trying to inflate the trade market for Melo so he doesn't get traded to Houston and remove the Knicks as a viable Westbrook/George trade option for if Westbrook doesn't sign the extension by October 16.

plus

Kanter, Ferguson, McBuckets, and OKC's 2018 1st maybe? Seems pretty similar in value to what the Cavs would likely be willing to give up.

Abrines over Dougie for the spanish connection with Willy G imo. Kanter's contract kinda sucks too and contributes to the logjam at PF/C just like ryno, but at least he's younger and *probably* a more moveable contract

mjp2417

Banned
Edit: if i were making a wild guess, OKC may be trying to inflate the trade market for Melo so he doesn't get traded to Houston and remove the Knicks as a viable Westbrook/George trade option for if Westbrook doesn't sign the extension by October 16.

This is coming from Melo's camp. OKC's front office has nothing to do with it.

mjp2417

Banned
Wouldn't leaking information like this only hurt Melo though? This is probably from the knicks trying to inflate his value.

It might be, but Melo is still the one deciding to revoke his NTC for OKC, regardless of how the information got out. Sam Presti isn't masquerading as Melo's agent in hopes of trading Westbrook and George to New York. Or something.

jdstorm

Banned
This is coming from Melo's camp. OKC's front office has nothing to do with it.

Here's what i'm guessing happened.

1. Melo asked to be traded
2. The Knicks started taking calls for Melo.
3. The Knicks told Melo what the best offers they were recieving were
4. Melo chose a few he liked and may be willing to waive his NTC for
5. The teams Melo chose got leaked to the media as a way of NY leveraging those teams for aditional assets by playing them off against each other.

Now at some point (after the NBA laughed at the Lakers attempted tampering on Paul George and gave them a slap on the wrist while still allowing George to sign with LA next summer) OKCs front office are 90% sure they are losing Westbrook and George to LA this summer.

At this point its likely that internally they (OKC) started to solidify their targets for what they would want in a Westbrook and George trade. With Cleveland already trading Kyrie, OKC likely have 4 main targets. The Knicks (Porzingis) Hornets, (Kemba + Batum + Monk) Pelicans (AD) and Clippers (Griffin as a hometown Kid) Sacramento might also have an outside chance.

With The Knicks (OKCs first option) looking likely to take themselves off the board by trading Melo for Ryan Anderson, OKC decided to stall NYK by making a competitive offer for Melo.

After recieving this offer NY approached Melo and he has been slowly talking himself into the idea of playing on a contender with Westbrook and George.

Melo's agent also knows that using OKC as leverage to get Houston to offer more is a great way to get Melo traded their faster. Unlikely he wants to end up in OKC.

It could just be me being crazy, but thats the only logical way i can think of this rumour starting.

Here's what i'm guessing happened.

1. Melo asked to be traded
2. The Knicks started taking calls for Melo.
3. The Knicks told Melo what the best offers they were recieving were
4. Melo chose a few he liked and may be willing to waive his NTC for
5. The teams Melo chose got leaked to the media as a way of NY leveraging those teams for aditional assets by playing them off against each other.

Now at some point (after the NBA laughed at the Lakers attempted tampering on Paul George and gave them a slap on the wrist while still allowing George to sign with LA next summer) OKCs front office are 90% sure they are losing Westbrook and George to LA this summer.

At this point its likely that internally they started to solidify their targets for what they would want in a Westbrook and George trade. With Cleveland already trading Kyrie, OKC likely have 4 main targets. The Knicks (Porzingis) Hornets, (Kemba + Batum) Pelicans (AD) and Clippers (Griffin as a hometown Kid) Sacramento might also have an outside chance.

With The Knicks (OKCs first option) looking likely to take themselves off the board by trading Melo for Ryan Anderson, OKC decided to stall NYK by making a competitive offer for Melo.

After recieving this offer NY approached Melo and he has been slowly talking himself into the idea of playing on a contender with Westbrook and George.

Melo's agent also knows that using OKC as leverage to get Houston to offer more is a great way to get traded their faster.

It could just be me being crazy, but thats the only logical way i can think of this rumour starting.

No you are just crazy. OKC didn't trade for PG just to immediately flip him. They traded him as a show of good faith to Westbrook, to show they are willing to make moves to put players around him, so that Russ will resign. They aren't going to accomplish that by turning around and trading PG between now and the trade deadline, especially not since they are probably a top 4-5 team in the West. They are going to lose PG for nothing. They made the trade for him knowing that. Stop with your crack pipe dream.

jdstorm

Banned
No you are just crazy. OKC didn't trade for PG just to immediately flip him. They traded him as a show of good faith to Westbrook, to show they are willing to make moves to put players around him, so that Russ will resign. They aren't going to accomplish that by turning around and trading PG between now and the trade deadline, especially not since they are probably a top 4-5 team in the West. They are going to lose PG for nothing. They made the trade for him knowing that. Stop with your crack pipe dream.

Lol. OKC 100% traded for George to flip him. They were perfectly happy with Oladipo and Sabonis and would rather have kept them then just give them away for nothing.

Lol. OKC 100% traded for George to flip him.

There is no logic to what you are saying. If they are for whatever reason a lottery team at the deadline? Maybe. But if they are top 4 it's going to look real bad for their relationship with Russ if they turn around and trade their 2nd best player. Their goal is to get Russ to sign that megamax. That's it. They aren't going to flip 3 months of PG and jeopardize resigning Russ all for, like, a non lottery pick and some filler.

jdstorm

Banned
There is no logic to what you are saying. If they are for whatever reason a lottery team at the deadline? Maybe. But if they are top 4 it's going to look real bad for their relationship with Russ if they turn around and trade their 2nd best player. Their goal is to get Russ to sign that megamax. That's it.

Russ can sign the megamax up until october 16. If Russ doesn't sign it before then he is gone and there is no relationship to spoil by trading George midseason.

plus

after Oladipo's piss poor showing in the playoffs I'm not too sure OKC was really high on him. Seemed like the PG trade was also a salary dump of sorts to get rid of that ugly ass contract they handed Oladipo in addition to appeasing Russ for a year.

Russ can sign the megamax up until october 16. If Russ doesn't sign it before then he is gone and there is no relationship to spoil by trading George midseason.

And they aren't going to get keep him happy by blowing up a playoff team and trading away their 2nd best player for scraps. Russ IS that team. They are going to do everything they can to keep him. Some of your predictions and leaps of logic are mind boggling. What in the name of Greg Monroe are you talking about?

jdstorm

Banned
after Oladipo's piss poor showing in the playoffs I'm not too sure OKC was really high on him. Seemed like the PG trade was also a salary dump of sorts to get rid of that ugly ass contract they handed Oladipo in addition to appeasing Russ for a year.

They also tried to trade Oladipo for George at the deadline last year so its unlikely his poor playoff series had much to do with anything.

And they aren't going to get keep him happy by blowing up a playoff team and trading away their 2nd best player for scraps. Russ IS that team. They are going to do everything they can to keep him. Some of your predictions and leaps of logic are mind boggling. What in the name of Greg Monroe are you talking about?

You are missing the point. Russell Westbrook's Decision Day (The day where he definitively decides wether he stays in OKC for the next 6 years or not) is October 16 2017. There is no financial incentive for Westbrook to sign an extension after the season.

If Westbrook doesn't sign then OKC will blow everything up and get whatever they can for Westbrook and George. They 100% new this before they made the Oladipo for George trade.

If Westbrook signs and George still wants to leave then OKC will trade him to get Westbrook a useful running mate. Its pretty simple really.

You are missing the point. Russell Westbrook's Decision Day (The day where he definitively decides wether he stays in OKC for the next 6 years or not) is October 16 2017. There is no financial incentive for Westbrook to sign an extension after the season.

If Westbrook doesn't sign then OKC will blow everything up and get whatever they can for Westbrook and George. They 100% new this before they made the Oladipo for George trade.

If Westbrook signs and George still wants to leave then OKC will trade him to get Westbrook a useful running mate. Its pretty simple really.

He can sign the current extension offer by Oct. 16th, or he can wait until the offseason to sign a deal of similar value with more player opt outs, like most superstars are doing these days. It's not like after Oct. 16 he can never resign with OKC. He can absolutely use that extension to keep OKC's feet to the fire in terms of roster construction.

beat

He can sign the current extension offer by Oct. 16th, or he can wait until the offseason to sign a deal of similar value with more player opt outs, like most superstars are doing these days. It's not like after Oct. 16 he can never resign with OKC. He can absolutely use that extension to keep OKC's feet to the fire in terms of roster construction.

Esp after Durant left, OKC probably wants to have the security of an extension with Russ before the season starts. If they don't get that, then Russ had better signal hard that he's open to re-signing in the offseason or OKC might panic-trade him just to get something back.

Meanwhile, yeah, Russ might want to wait to sign a brand new contract rather than an extension. That would be the only way he could get a no-trade clause of his own, because the CBA doesn't allow adding those in contract extensions.

Esp after Durant left, OKC probably wants to have the security of an extension with Russ before the season starts. If they don't get that, then Russ had better signal hard that he's open to re-signing in the offseason or OKC might panic-trade him just to get something back.

Meanwhile, yeah, Russ might want to wait to sign a brand new contract rather than an extension. That would be the only way he could get a no-trade clause of his own, because the CBA doesn't allow adding those in contract extensions.

I doubt he will outright tell them he's not resigning. OKC has a chance to be good this year, really good. Like, not in the same league as the Warriors or even Rockets, but would it be all that surprising if the Spurs took a bit of a step back and the Thunder were right there with them for that 3/4 seed? When is the last time a team that was on track for a 3/4 seed was blown up at the deadline?

Tall4Life

DHTD2nUVYAA79iU.jpg:large

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I cannot believe this is the 2nd deal OKC managed to make this offseason where they managed to upgrade their squad without actually giving up any positive assets.

Tall4Life

The NBA season is gonna be fucking amazing to watch

PG13/Westbrook/Melo
Durant/Curry/Thompson/Green
Gordong/Kyrie/Smart
LeBum/Love/IT
CP3/Harden
Butler/Towns/Wiggins
Fultz/Simmons/Embiid
DMC/Davis
Giannis/Monroe

Top Bottom