• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Furyous

Fucking hell, where is the 550$ range high-end spec phone with a good camera that runs stock android? What the fuck is this new trend of 1000$ phones?

Yeah these $1000 android devices blow the doors off the midrange market. Someone like ASUS with the zenfone 4 can a gain a lot of marketshare if they play their cards right. For the price of the XL2 I can buy both Zenfone 4 and XZ Compact with north of $100 remaining. One of the only bad things about the Zenfone 4 is the skin.

I want an XZ Compact once it hits $350 which more than likely happens around the end of March.

kaiyo

I'll get a XZ1 Compact next year when the price drops. Love that it has a 720p screen and such a beast of a processor. Should also have good battery life.

From what I read, the materials on the phone are glass/plastic mix on the back and aluminum on the sides.

I'll leave the ultra resolution display and HDR for my living room TV.

The top and bottom is metal, the side and back is one piece.

There are like no phones in the US anyways that use more than the 625 beyond I guess the 630 in the which is just a slightly more powerful 625 anyways.

We've yet to even get any 650 or 660 phones.

Seems like for the pricing we just end up with 800 series phones.
To be fair, the 650 series was 28nm, and the 660 is new and 14nm, so it should be picked up for early next years devices.

I'm trying to figure out what phones though? Every will just be like 625/630 or else 835/845

Not US based, but Xiaomi has the Mi Note 3 with a 660 (last year was 821) and Vivo also has something with 660. Both phones are in the 400 dollar price range.
Rumors suggest the Redmi Note 5 might have a 660 (major if true, devices are sub 250$). If the Redmi Note series goes 630 then yeah 660 is a dud, too expensive even with Xiaomi volumes/discounts.

I think you're going to see next years phones in the 300-400 dollar range powered by the 660, moving the 625 to 14nm was a huge success but you can only do so much with a A53.

SDR-UK

So I'm officially sick of my Nexus 6P, battery turned off at 57% and would not reboot; claiming that the phone was completely out of juice. The battery issues on this thing are insane!

So GAF, please help me.

Galaxy S8/S8+? Galaxy Note 8? iPhone 8? Pixel 2? LG V30? Get a hold-over device until the S9 in March?

Would love some feedback on the devices if anyone has owned, tested or seen them.

So I'm officially sick of my Nexus 6P, battery turned off at 57% and would not reboot; claiming that the phone was completely out of juice. The battery issues on this thing are insane!

So GAF, please help me.

Galaxy S8/S8+? Galaxy Note 8? iPhone 8? Pixel 2? LG V30? Get a hold-over device until the S9 in March?

Would love some feedback on the devices if anyone has owned, tested or seen them.

While I will always recommend any phone directly from Google, I honestly have an obsession with the V30. Such a stunning and feature PACKED fucking phone.

So GAF, please help me.

You could get a hold-over device until next year and get the S9, or you could get one of the other phones you listed at a lower price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

So GAF, please help me.

S8+ if you can get a deal.

Note 8 or Pixel if you have to have say the S-Pen or Stock Android. If not then just save the extra cash and get an S8+. You can find one on a deal pretty easily now.

Waiting 7 months is crazy IMO.

So GAF, please help me.

If you want to stick with Android I'd try and hold out for an S8/S8+ deal. They have been on sale quite a few times in the $500-$600 range and I'm sure they will go back on sale in the future. The Pixel 2 will no doubt be a nice phone, but I simply cannot see it being worth the extra money over something like the S8. Same with the V30 in that it is a very nice phone, but if I was spending like $550-$600 on an S8 or (IDK) $800 on the V30 it wouldn't be that hard of a decision.

The iPhone 8 is a nice phone if you want to go to iOS, but you really have to figure out if you'd want to switch OS's and like the other phones I mentioned it is kind of roughing spending that kind of money compared to all the other nice phones that are cheaper.

LogicStep

If you want to stick with Android I'd try and hold out for an S8/S8+ deal. They have been on sale quite a few times in the $500-$600 range and I'm sure they will go back on sale in the future. The Pixel 2 will no doubt be a nice phone, but I simply cannot see it being worth the extra money over something like the S8. Same with the V30 in that it is a very nice phone, but if I was spending like $550-$600 on an S8 or (IDK) $800 on the V30 it wouldn't be that hard of a decision.

The iPhone 8 is a nice phone if you want to go to iOS, but you really have to figure out if you'd want to switch OS's and like the other phones I mentioned it is kind of roughing spending that kind of money compared to all the other nice phones that are cheaper.
Are those deals usually unlocked? And where would the deals be? I think I'd just get an S8 if I can get it for 500... I mean at that price why even consider another phone like the one plus or any other.

Jeffrey

Lol that thread.

Like I said, give me power features on iPhone that can use the power and I'll be happy. I'm not rendering 4k video on my phone.

Are those deals usually unlocked? And where would the deals be? I think I'd just get an S8 if I can get it for 500... I mean at that price why even consider another phone like the one plus or any other.
They were on unlocked phones. I'd keep an eye on Slickdeals to see when another sale pops up. I checked again and I think the sub $500 think might have been a mistake since it was only one color.

Otherwise, it was $575/$675 for the S8/S8+ at Amazon and Best Buy towards the end of July and August and there was one $480 deal in July for one color S8 from Samsung and a $565 S8+ from Samsung in July as well.

Lol that thread.

Like I said, give me power features on iPhone that can use the power and I'll be happy. I'm not rendering 4k video on my phone.
Yup. The most powerful phone on the market and you still can't multitask in any way on it.

I'm having a really weird issue, that I hope someone can help with.

The Google News and Weather app keeps crashing on me, it loads in, but if I refresh it it just immediately crashes. I've tried deleting chache and data, reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, but nothing seems to work.

The really fucked up thing, is that it works perfectly fine if I switch to either of my other two Google accounts linked on my phone.

Help! Please!

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? :(

I decided if I'm going to import an Exynos Ocho, I might as well just go fucking crazy and import the Korean 256 GB variant in Deep Sea Blue, a color which isn't available in the US.

256 GB storage capacity on a phone is probably the biggest overkill ever. I'll probably never need to use that microSD slot ever though. The thought of having a phone with a storage capacity as big as the average computer SSD amuses me. At least I'll have lots of room for shooting 4K video I guess.

B-but it has that extra T-Mobile band!

Neither Apple nor Samsung thought it was important enough to support Band 71. This should give you an idea of how important this band is compared to Band 12 which is intended to cover almost all of T-Mobile's native territory.

Hesemonni

Banned
Anyone else feeling the Sony XZ1 Compact?
I had Z3 Compact, which I thought was an absolutely fantastic combination of size, performance (which I totally didn't need), battery life and sensibility (720p made perfect sense here), but it was the phone I had to bring to service the most of any phone I've ever had. I think the headphone jack was repaired twice and the screen came of I think four times and after getting my company phone I actually forgot my phone was even in a service. I just recently got it back and thought of getting it back to use, but since it was no more getting upgrades (Android ~6.0 I think) I gave up on the idea.

Soo, fantastic phone, shoddy execution on my example.

I'd love to buy a Xiaomi Mi A1 next seeing that it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. Only the battery life is probably on the weaker side on that one :/ Or be a bit more andventurous and go with Redmi Note 5 whenever it is released.

The bar has been set for camera phones

Just damn at some of the photos taken in that review. I knew this camera was going to be crazy, lol. Literally the only thing I care about on those phones.

did they out pay OnePlus on the check?

People in the comments are pointing out that the Pixel and S8 have higher individual scores yet the iP8 has the higher overall score. This happens even with the re-test of the Pixel with the "new protocol". Nope, this isn't suspicious or anything lol.

I wonder what happens if they bother to come back around and re-test the S8 or even test the Note 8 with the "new protocol".

Smartphone cameras have gotten crazy in any case. I don't even know if it's worth dragging my DSLR around on vacations anymore with smartphone cameras like these.

Quasar

Smartphone cameras have gotten crazy in any case. I don't even know if it's worth dragging my DSLR around on vacations anymore with smartphone cameras like these.

Non shit lenses. Of course if all you're doing is taking vacation snaps to put on social media it probably doesn't matter much.

Jeffrey

Wow. Flossy's 50min note 8 review is almost at 200k views. Dude is moving up the world.

Maybe there is an audience for folks ranting long form for phones.

Ty4on

Wow. Flossy's 50min note 8 review is almost at 200k views. Dude is moving up the world.

Maybe there is an audience for folks ranting long form for phones.
Long opinion videos are surprisingly popular on YT. It's not like he has a lot of competition either with so many 5 minute reviews where most of the content is the same.
You're paying a lot extra for an S8+ with dual camera and stylus, battery sightly smaller, fingerprint sensor in the wrong position, "top of the line specs", "snappy", review done.

Ty4on

Fine detail still looks like shit when blown up in daylight
rxfwGqb.png

This is quarter size so just ~3MP, but you can still see the grass is just a blur and the trees have visible halos.

It looks fine in a smaller size, but blown up you can see it's just processing and actual detail levels are really low.

Jeffrey

So iphone 8 got a top camera louder stereo speakers fast charging and wireless charging.

X will bring the funky screen.

Feel like the smartphone universe is converging.

Android needs to step up on speaker though. Hope the stereo setup rumors are true for pixel... But im not a fan of shit being either stereo speakers or headphones jack.

And yeah Sony, wish theirs was louder though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The bar has been set for camera phones

Just damn at some of the photos taken in that review. I knew this camera was going to be crazy, lol. Literally the only thing I care about on those phones.

did they out pay OnePlus on the check?

the Pixel still looks pretty good :O

That's the thing. All of the recent flagships look pretty good. Normal quick shots to be posted on social media or shared with family and friends have been fine for a few years now. Low light being the one exception.

I think it was Jeffrey that said like outdoor shots have been solid on just about anything for years now with the base settings.

reKon

Banned
People in the comments are pointing out that the Pixel and S8 have higher individual scores yet the iP8 has the higher overall score. This happens even with the re-test of the Pixel with the "new protocol". Nope, this isn't suspicious or anything lol.

I wonder what happens if they bother to come back around and re-test the S8 or even test the Note 8 with the "new protocol".

Yeah, I think one of the biggest improvements over the years is how fast you can actually take these photos and not have to do anything on auto mode because of how good they come out. That's crazy.

Every Pixel photo looks so much better.

This is what I'm saying. The Pixel still blows the iPhone out the water...the article felt like they were pulling some really tiny technicalities to give the iP8 a win. Overall, all the pixel photos look better. Especially the one where she was sitting outside on the chair.

Top Bottom