• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

they always do this before E3 and get more and more quite as we approach their presser

they seal the ship from any leaks due to their past mistakes

Fisty

We haven't heard a peep out of Bluepoint since Gravity Rush Remastered, and that was Feb 2016. They've got to have something cooking for the end of this year, and god almighty I will let them take my heart of gold away from me if it's Demon's Souls Remastered

What is there for them to say really? Sony has been releasing games these past few months that have done the talking for them.

Conversely, Microsoft has been pretty absent outside of Halo Wars in terms of games (which is to be expected by now this time of year), so it makes sense why they're trying to keep attention on their future endeavors, namely Scorpio and Xbox Game Pass. They're trying to keep themselves in the conversation since Sony and Nintendo are getting a lot of attention right now.

That isn't to say MS' announcements aren't bad or anything, just that it makes sense why they're doing what they're doing.

Well. Suffice it to say, some folks will shit their pants.

bruh, you can't do this to us

Well. Suffice it to say, some folks will shit their pants.

giphy.gif

They have been killing it with early 2017 games, so I don't see what they need to speak out.
Also E3 is not too far off...
MS is going to be launching a new console this year, so it's only natural that they talk more imo.

This. They've been speaking loud in clear in the language that matters most: games. 2017 is absolutely incredible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Modern game marketing is generally 5-8 months prior to launch, and I'm not convinced they have games making it this Fall that they aren't already talking about (Uncharted and Gran Turismo), so E3 is more likely.

You'll notice that we don't actually have any Ubisoft titles outside of South Park announced either, which would suggest their three remaining titles are one November game (guessing a May unveil), and probably two E3 reveals for Q1.

Also, Sony is operating differently from the rest of the market in that they don't have much in the way of service games, so they don't have much to talk about frequently in between releases. If you look at Activision Blizzard, most of their talking is about the constant updates to their hugely successful service games.

Sony just had the best quarter in terms of quality/quantity of console exclusive titles that they've had in at least a generation. They don't really need to put much effort into hyping up future stuff to keep interest/confidence in their brand like XBox does.

They have been killing it with early 2017 games, so I don't see what they need to speak out.
MS is going to be launching a new console this year, so it's only natural that they talk more imo.

yeah with gravity rush 2, resident evil 7, nioh, nier, persona 5 to name a few they are in a very comfortable situation

Modern game marketing is generally 5-8 months prior to launch, and I'm not convinced they have games making it this Fall that they aren't already talking about (Uncharted and Gran Turismo), so E3 is more likely.

You'll notice that we don't actually have any Ubisoft titles outside of South Park announced either, which would suggest their three remaining titles are one November game (guessing a May unveil), and probably two E3 reveals for Q1.

Also, Sony is out of touch with the market in that they don't have much in the way of service games, so they don't have much to talk about frequently in between releases. If you look at Activision Blizzard, most of their talking is about their constant updates to their hugely successful service games.

GTS is more than enough for Sony this fall and that's the only first party game I'm expecting from them this year. I could see GOW having the Horizon time slot for Q1 2018. Third party games will carry Sony this holiday.

I hope Gaf has their expectations in check.

Peroroncino

Sony doesn't really need to say anything this year, month after month we've been treated to some amazing games and now it's almost E3 time so this is probably where they'll 'speak', hopefully they'll do so with their games like last year. Because seriously, as long as you have games, you don't need to say anything as far as I'm concerned.

Loudninja

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?
I don't get this to be honest.

THE:MILKMAN

You know it's E3 season soon when a mod starts teasing.

I've been out of the loop the last few weeks and missed the Scorpio "unveiling" but agree it is surprising a mod would tease like this given the robust debate that ensues. The Scorpio and Pro speculation threads show how hot things can get.

It wouldn't be so bad if someone just said [this] will happen/get announced at E3....book it. Never that simple, though....

Way to spin words like I've never seen them spin. Hyperbole at its best.

Sure it might have been a bit overdramatic but tell me, what single player experience has Microsoft conjured up so far that has had a good? Last one I can recall is Ori and the Blind Forest. What it looks like to me is they try a few times early on each generation and just call it quits if they can't get a franchise going due to less than stellar sales. Ryse, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, all haven't really gained much traction in sales so they look for online enabled games as their primary focus. That's where they can sell Gold subscriptions and DLC.

Memento

How are they "quiet" exactly? What does that mean?

They just had one of their best Q1 ever in terms of games and just announced 60 million consoles shipped.

E3 is coming and they will have bombs to drop as always.

What are you expecting anyways? Do you think useless PR tweets are more important than actually delivering games?

How are they "quiet" exactly? What does that mean?

They just had one of their best Q1 ever in terms of games and just announced 60 million consoles shipped.

E3 is coming and they will have bombs to drop as always.

What are you expecting anyways? Do you think useless PR tweets are more important than actually delivering games?

Guess some want the useless Phil Spencer PR machine from Sony.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mrklaw said:
Is there a significant difference in the drives? Wondering if it'd be possible for Sony to update the drive firmware to support UHD
Sadly I have no idea about this one - I know people had conspiracy theories about avoiding competition with their standalone players, but I'm not convinced that holds much water. Considering UHD disc market practically doesn't exist in most of the world, I can't imagine even if all PS4 got the feature it'd make much of a difference.

Dynomutt

Jay-Z once said,"Real G's move in silence...First you bubble quietly...then you let it blow!"

Guess some want the useless Phil Spencer PR machine from Sony.

If I'm doing this:
tumblr_lyl3kr1euB1r5w7j2o1_500.gif

Nothing else needs to be said. Basically what happened this gen since launch. Sony caught MS slipping and never stopped running.

Yep. If you're killing it, your performance will speak volumes. They pretty much can only do harm.

We've just barely escaped the storm, and I'm still not finished yet.

It's gonna be a memorable year for me and many others.

I'd take playing games than consuming hype out of speeches and announcements.

Hopefully they hit with the games that are over do a come back.

Jet moto, silent Hill, jumping flash etc

Silent Hill 2 and 3 remasters would be epic alone.

And as far as Phil Spencer goes, much like Reggie Fils-Aime, the only thing I can think of when I read/see his interviews is this.

Outside of info about Scorpio, I feel like he's been saying the same thing over and over for a while too.

Tonky

Y'all insiders drop one vague statement and the entire thread gets on the hype train. Let me take a shot at this:

Sony will have some great stuff to show at E3 ;)

If those great games released so far this year is Sony being quiet, I don't think anyone could handle Sony being loud. They already cranked it to 11. You can't go louder than that.

Top Bottom