• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
DId8KNCUQAEJocF.jpg:large

Why does the PS4 Pro version look so blurry and lack as much detail as the Xbox1X? I thought PS4 Pro was supposed to be significantly more powerful a system?

Orca

Why does the PS4 Pro version look so blurry and lack as much detail as the Xbox1X? I thought PS4 Pro was supposed to be significantly more powerful a system?

It's more powerful than the Xbox One or S, but it's not as powerful as the Xbox One X.

mocoworm

Cannot wait!

"Interestingly, the version that is being currently showcased is still alpha code, and developers are continuing to improve it. Crystal Dynamics believes the game will be an ”incredibly rich, very vibrant and beautiful looking world, and the best-looking version of Lara when it releases on November 7th" because what we're seeing today isn't even the final code, and developers are continuing to add polish to it."

Interestingly, Brigs doesn't think there really were any specific challenges in creating the Xbox One X version. The team at Crystal Dynamics worked really closely with Nixxes, and he never heard about any blockers from them.

That being said, there were challenges that developers set for themselves, like how to get Lara's cinematic hair on her 3D model at all times through the game. The increased memory allowed them to achieve it. Basically, Lara's hair will look as it does in the cutscenes all the time.

Briggs believes that it'a difficult to predict whether the era of consoles generations has ended, replaced by incremental console updates. That said, he'd be surprised if this current trend did not continue. He feels that consoles are getting closer to the PC landscape allowing players to feel like they're constantly on the cutting edge of tech, and to have something for everyone with different models. According to Briggs this is working really well, and he feels that it's going to continue.

Lady Gaia

Also the screenshot is at native 4K vs a checkerboard render in that picture.

Those aren't typical checkerboard artifacts. I wish I could remember or find definitive proof offhand, but I thought RotR ran at 1800p checkerboarded and scaled, which would add some softness. More importantly:

”the Gamescom build of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X runs with depth of field disabled, giving the illusion of further detail resolved in the scene even though it's an important effect in the post-process pipeline that has actually been removed (for now, at least)."

If this scene is supposed to use soft focus on Lara then complaining about the lack of crisp detail is silly. Some of the comparisons done turned off depth of field on the PC to try to compare with the Xbox One X version, not to demonstrate the superiority of the two to the intended effect.

Colbert

Banned
Those aren’t typical checkerboard artifacts. I wish I could remember or find definitive proof offhand, but I thought RotR ran at 1800p checkerboarded and scaled, which would add some softness. More importantly:

“the Gamescom build of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X runs with depth of field disabled, giving the illusion of further detail resolved in the scene even though it's an important effect in the post-process pipeline that has actually been removed (for now, at least).”

If this scene is supposed to use soft focus on Lara then complaining about the lack of crisp detail is silly. Some of the comparisons done turned off depth of field on the PC to try to compare with the Xbox One X version, not to demonstrate the superiority of the two to the intended effect.

RotTR runs in 3 modes on the Pro: high-res Mode with 2160c, enriched with 1080p and performance with 1080p where the Xbox one X version will run high-res with native 2160p, enriched with 2160c and performance with 1080p.

Lady Gaia

RotTR runs in 3 modes on the Pro: high-res Mode with 2160c, enriched with 1080p and performance with 1080p where the Xbox one X version will run high-res with native 2160p, enriched with 2160c and performance with 1080p.

In that case it seems likely the difference is largely due to depth of field effects, though lower resolution textures could also be a contributing factor. Even in worst-case scenarios you shouldn’t see images that soft from 2160c.

Top Bottom