• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

Raitaro

Dark Souls 1 book is good, it's just small. It's leagues better than the Bloodborne art book, which is now the worst standalone video game art book I own. The slapdash job with the art book stands out all the more considering how carefully crafted the game is.

Very excited to get the Splatoon book soon. It sounds amazing.

Now that the Souls series is finished (for a while...) it would be nice if they did a big hardcover book on all three games + DLC that includes a more exhaustive collection of art than the current small books. Probably won't happen but I'd buy that for sure!

I am pretty happy with the Sonic Art Book by C&B Amsterdam.

I've been thinking about buying this one as well but I fear that the majority of the art will be from the newer (Sonic Adventure and later) games instead of the Genesis era ones that I care the most about. I'd pay quite a bit of money for a book with just a lot of art from Sonic 1 - 3&K and CD, stage art in particular. Could you give me an indication of how big the section on classic games is and whether there is stage art as well?

DemWalls

Now that the Souls series is finished (for a while...) it would be nice if they did a big hardcover book on all three games + DLC that includes a more exhaustive collection of art than the current small books. Probably won't happen but I'd buy that for sure!

They did something similar for the DS III Collector's Edition, but I suppose it's pretty hard to find at an acceptable price. Anyway, the first Design Works is the only "small" one, which is a shame, since DS II Design Works is great and has plenty of content (240 pp), and the DS III one is 336 pages long, so it must be pretty damn exhaustive. I'm afraid of how much it will cost when it comes out around here.

gunstarhero

The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition is one of my favorite game related art books. It's massive!

14856.jpg

Mieu

The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition is one of my favorite game related art books. It's massive!

14856.jpg

This was one was for less than $10 a few years ago. Not too bad even for the reprint.

I'm sad about the state of the Bloodborne book. I'm contemplatin of sending it back to Amazon.

Dark Souls 1 got sold out from Amazon just recently.

bunkitz

I got The Art of Metal Gear Solid V recently, and it's a bit disappointing due to a complete lack of commentary. Well, there's like two sentences, maybe, but that's it. There's also quite a bit of Japanese text that was left untranslated, which would be understandable for the little notes on sketches and the like, but there were plenty of Japanese text that were typed that could have easily been translated.

Still, the abundance of Yoji Shinkawa's art, which included some promo shots I'd never seen before, makes it totally worth it for me. Plus, I got it 20% off due to a sale, so there's that.

On a related note: God, how I love the smell of a brand new art book. Books in general too, of course.

I really wsnt the Valkyria Chronicles Artbook. I Was on the fence before it suddenly shot up in price.

Any chance that Udon will do reprint?

Mieu

Yes, the smell of artbooks compensate for the lack of manuals today.

I really wsnt the Valkyria Chronicles Artbook. I Was on the fence before it suddenly shot up in price.

Any chance that Udon will do reprint?

I think it's no longer up for a reprint. You can probably tweet Udon about it. I had to ask my local bookstore to look for one for me.

I've been thinking about buying this one as well but I fear that the majority of the art will be from the newer (Sonic Adventure and later) games instead of the Genesis era ones that I care the most about. I'd pay quite a bit of money for a book with just a lot of art from Sonic 1 - 3&K and CD, stage art in particular. Could you give me an indication of how big the section on classic games is and whether there is stage art as well?

There is quite a big section with an impressive lot of early drawings from the original Sonic to Sonic CD which at the same time suspiciously kind of ignores S3&K. The authors allude to controversies especially concerning Knuckles' art direction, but not much information is given, really. That's a bit annoying, imho.
It seems Sonic Team is very shy about S3&K's background, but loves to provide stories about the design process of the early titles as well as the transformation on Dreamcast.

Though the quality of said art book can be described as outstanding, do not expect to learn anything fundamentally new. Whether you like blown up pixel art, which takes an awful lot of space in this accomplishment, is also a matter of taste. Yes, this book sports the official SEGA license, so don't expect anything but praise for the franchise.

I'm in love with horror and monster designs.

To illustrate, I have all the volumes of Beksinki artwork as well as some from H.R. Giger.

In the real of video game artwork, who comes close to these two?

Servbot24

Banned
Splatoon 2 may be one of those times I buy the art book but not the game.

I'm in love with horror and monster designs.

To illustrate, I have all the volumes of Beksinki artwork as well as some from H.R. Giger.

In the real of video game artwork, who comes close to these two?
What volumes of those do you recommend?

Souls / Bloodborne would be the standard answer to that but maybe someone has other ideas.

What volumes of those do you recommend?

Souls / Bloodborne would be the standard answer to that but maybe someone has other ideas.

I was actually asking for recommendations myself lol. I'd rank Beksinki's volumes 1 > 2 > 3. First two volumes are paintings, while the last volume focuses on his sketches and background. These are two of my favorite works from him (forgive the quality, I took these from my phone cam):

tVcJI2lm.jpg
mODpfCsm.jpg

I suppose the Souls books are the obvious recommendation and I'll definitely look into them but since there are 5 of those games (including Demons Souls and Bloodborne), I wanted to know the best ones.

Would you be kind enough to tell us why and which books have terrible quality?

(Aside from the obvious bloodborne book)

Yup. Whoever's in charge of art direction and quality control at Udon, he seems neither very concerned nor involved about colour consistency. There are different ways to process RGB artwork and convert it to CMYK and from what I have seen, Udon goes the easiest route for them. Especially blue hues are very difficult to render in CMYK, a single click in Photoshop or whatever will never achieve satisfying results. Even then, you will need to have a brillant printer at hand.
The only Udon book I have is the History of Sonic and the hog is almost purple in there. They did not nail the artwork at all.
I also compared some other art reproduced by Udon and their printer and it became quite obvious that they also lose so much detail in the shadows.

Here is a comparison shot between Udon (top) and C&B. You are the judge.

http://imgur.com/lllJz4D

Servbot24

Banned
I was actually asking for recommendations myself lol. I'd rank Beksinki's volumes 1 > 2 > 3. First two volumes are paintings, while the last volume focuses on his sketches and background. These are two of my favorite works from him (forgive the quality, I took these from my phone cam):

tVcJI2lm.jpg
mODpfCsm.jpg

I suppose the Souls books are the obvious recommendation and I'll definitely look into them but since there are 5 of those games (including Demons Souls and Bloodborne), I wanted to know the best ones.

Hmm, if those are the volumes on Amazon they seem a bit overpriced. I may go for this one though: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8375762245/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't have any of the Souls books, but I think the Bloodborne one is worth it if you see it for $20 or so. I would pass at the current price of $30

Hmm, if those are the volumes on Amazon they seem a bit overpriced. I may go for this one though: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8375762245/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't have any of the Souls books, but I think the Bloodborne one is worth it if you see it for $20 or so. I would pass at the current price of $30

Yeah, quite overpriced but what can I say, I'm a fan. The H.R. Giger Necronomicon books 1 and 2 are quite expensive as well but they have the man's best work. I've been saving to buy them (either used or new).

My concern with the Souls artbooks is that they'll contain too many screenshots or photos pulled from the games, whereas I'm seeking early composite sketches and impressionistic depictions of the world.

Do you know of artbooks that include detailed descriptions of each work? I regularly purchase the Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manuals (it's okay if you like more cartoonish artwork), and have always been satisfied with the physical bio added with each monster/demon. I'd be very pleased to include any other fantasy/sci-fi art book that follows suit, the more detail the better.

bosseye

What's a good place to sell artbooks? I've been trimming down a load of my stuff, rule being if I haven't looked at something in a couple of years it can go (I need the money for home improvements).

I've got Half Life 2 raising the bar, Making of Doom 3, some warhammer concept stuff, something by Brom and so on and so forth.

EBay obviously, but they seem to take so much in fees. Gumtree maybe but chances are they'll never sell.

Dash_

Kind of semi-related to Wipeout, but the tDR book out in Japan is seriously overpriced for what you get. It's really small and thin.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, quite overpriced but what can I say, I'm a fan. The H.R. Giger Necronomicon books 1 and 2 are quite expensive as well but they have the man's best work. I've been saving to buy them (either used or new).

My concern with the Souls artbooks is that they'll contain too many screenshots or photos pulled from the games, whereas I'm seeking early composite sketches and impressionistic depictions of the world.

Do you know of artbooks that include detailed descriptions of each work? I regularly purchase the Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manuals (it's okay if you like more cartoonish artwork), and have always been satisfied with the physical bio added with each monster/demon. I'd be very pleased to include any other fantasy/sci-fi art book that follows suit, the more detail the better.

Only speaking for the Bloodborne book, it is 99% concept art.

Nothing is worse than getting an artbook and finding a bunch of screenshots in it. :p

What's a good place to sell artbooks? I've been trimming down a load of my stuff, rule being if I haven't looked at something in a couple of years it can go (I need the money for home improvements).

I've got Half Life 2 raising the bar, Making of Doom 3, some warhammer concept stuff, something by Brom and so on and so forth.

EBay obviously, but they seem to take so much in fees. Gumtree maybe but chances are they'll never sell.

You could try selling them in the GAF buy/sell thread

Raitaro

That All About SFIII book shown earlier is indeed quite great. I have it as well. I don't think they ever did follow-ups for 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike though, which is a big shame. It might be the reason why we do have some stage concept art for New Gen floating around online but little to none for the other two iterations. Unless I'm overlooking something of course, in which case please do correct me.

Hi everyone...

Is the Splatoon artbook hardcover?

I'm interested in buying it if that's the case.

Yes. A hefty one at that :)

They did something similar for the DS III Collector's Edition, but I suppose it's pretty hard to find at an acceptable price. Anyway, the first Design Works is the only "small" one, which is a shame, since DS II Design Works is great and has plenty of content (240 pp), and the DS III one is 336 pages long, so it must be pretty damn exhaustive. I'm afraid of how much it will cost when it comes out around here.

Ah, I see. I was under the impression they all followed in the example of the first Design Works. Maybe I'll check out the one for DSIII afterall then when it gets localized.

There is quite a big section with an impressive lot of early drawings from the original Sonic to Sonic CD which at the same time suspiciously kind of ignores S3&K. The authors allude to controversies especially concerning Knuckles' art direction, but not much information is given, really. That's a bit annoying, imho.
It seems Sonic Team is very shy about S3&K's background, but loves to provide stories about the design process of the early titles as well as the transformation on Dreamcast.

Though the quality of said art book can be described as outstanding, do not expect to learn anything fundamentally new. Whether you like blown up pixel art, which takes an awful lot of space in this accomplishment, is also a matter of taste. Yes, this book sports the official SEGA license, so don't expect anything but praise for the franchise.

Thanks for the write-up. I might go for it when my wallet stops crying from all the amiibo lately.

The continued absence of Sonic 3 is indeed a shame. Even those recently announced AtGames mini Genesis console thingies have all Genesis Sonic games, including Sonic & Knuckles, but not regular Sonic 3 (or CD but I guess that makes more sense). Taxman never got his chance to do a widescreen smart device port either like he did for the other games. I'm wondering if it could be the songs composed by MJ, like Icecap Zone, that's causing this but regardless of that, it does suck as it seems Sega might be in the proces of making people forget about it almost.

DemWalls

I can confirm that there are no screenshots in the Souls artbooks, except for very few images taken from CG trailers. If you want a more detailed preview, feel free to PM me.

Yeah the Souls books don't feature a single screenshot- well, at least not DS1, 2, or Bloodbourne.

I understand other's complaints with Bloodborne's binding but I think it's a wonderful art collection.

Mieu

Yup. Whoever's in charge of art direction and quality control at Udon, he seems neither very concerned nor involved about colour consistency. There are different ways to process RGB artwork and convert it to CMYK and from what I have seen, Udon goes the easiest route for them. Especially blue hues are very difficult to render in CMYK, a single click in Photoshop or whatever will never achieve satisfying results. Even then, you will need to have a brillant printer at hand.
The only Udon book I have is the History of Sonic and the hog is almost purple in there. They did not nail the artwork at all.
I also compared some other art reproduced by Udon and their printer and it became quite obvious that they also lose so much detail in the shadows.

Oh, this is technical but I do see the difference in Sonic's blue color. I'm an average consumer of these artbooks so I don't mind that. But I'm gonna be disappointed if I'm a big sonic fan.

Valkyria 1 to 3 seems to be ok

Menitta

The Ace Attorney artbook is kinda ok. Those games are 95% character development so it's mostly character art. I wish there was more concept art though. Like it's got a few concept designs for Apollo and that's it.

1upsuper

tVcJI2lm.jpg
mODpfCsm.jpg

Wow, I'm really into that art. I'll have to check out Beksinki's work.

Macka

Just ordered the Splatoon book after seeing my friend's copy and how cool it is.

My small collection of videogame artbooks is growing slowly.

Okami Complete Works
The Art of The Last of Us
Hyrule Historia

Hopefully the one included with Metroid: Samus Returns is good.

These are valid points but it won't matter to the average consumer. Most are still better than your average art book.

Personally my biggest problem with Udon is their spine work is all over the place. Sometimes it's great and other times it's atrocious like the Marvel art book.

These are valid points but it won't matter to the average consumer. Most are still better than your average art book.

Personally my biggest problem with Udon is their spine work is all over the place. Sometimes it's great and other times it's atrocious like the Marvel art book.

Lately though, it hasn't seemed to be all that great. The Capcom Fighting Tribute book they put out that was only available in hardcover was fine, but their paperbacks seem to be slipping. And they really need to update their website. The release schedule on their site doesn't list any releases past December 2015. XD

Fuck I need this

UPDATE: I bought it

Yay - although, I hope you bought the artbook and not the Mook - the artbook is around A4 size and the Mook is much smaller.

- - - - -

Counting down the days till i get the NEO GEO artbook.

Can't wait!

Hylian7

Sort of counts as an artbook, but I got the Dota 2 comic compilation book yesterday:

Overall, very happy with the purchase. The book itself is pretty large, and nice quality of print. Plus there's also pencil sketches for lots of panels in the comics in the back.

jBAW1KB.png

I missed my chance haven't I ? :(

wtf. The price jump is higher than Valkyria Chronicles Artbook. Thank feck I bought one just before Persona 5 released.

Anyway, I'm adding one to the collection.

Oh, and I just got shipping confirmation for Undertale's artbook. I don't know why they don't ship it together with the game to save on shipping cost.

Top Bottom