• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon seems to be developing quite the fan art following already....

Now I get the eyes. Is this the squid form?
Moving-Blooper.gif

Slightly off topic, but seeing all this art made me realise: this has to be one of very few multiplayer shooters to lead with a female character.

I mean, I still remember how big a deal it was when COD Ghosts finally added a female option. Im sure there are other games out there that I'm blanking on, but it's still nice to see.

Also, nice art!

Neiteio

Poor boy inkling. Nobody but Village loves you.
Only Village likes the boy Inking? Shadow the Hedgehog trash-tier design, confirmed.

I kid, Shadow, and I kid, Village!

I like the boy Inkling. His gelatinous top-knot is so shiny! Check him out in this 1600x900 wallpaper I whipped up (nothing special, just resized for my laptop and I cropped a bit on the bottom and right):

w-splatoon-01lfur2.png

Village

Poor boy inkling. Nobody but Village loves you.

Ya'll just ain't ready yet.

Only Village likes the boy Inking? Shadow the Hedgehog trash-tier design, confirmed.

I kid, Shadow, and I kid, Village!

I like the boy Inkling. His gelatinous top-knot is so shiny! Check him out in this 1600x900 wallpaper I whipped up (nothing special, just resized for my laptop and I cropped a bit on the bottom and right):

w-splatoon-01lfur2.png

You Sonovabeetcch!
:p

Yo, just noticed the giant ass name tags with the graffiti

Neiteio

Since this might be one of those trigger-happy threads, before anyone misconstrues my comment, I legitimately think their shorts look cool

Odrion

Banned
That feeling when you realize you'll probably have to wait for another console cycle for one of these guys to be in the next Smash game.

maxcriden

Since this might be one of those trigger-happy threads, before anyone misconstrues my comment, I legitimately think their shorts look cool

It's not a trigger-happy thread per se, we're just trying to keep out any frowardness.*

*a real word

That feeling when you realize you'll probably have to wait for another console cycle for one of these guys to be in the next Smash game.

DLC (as others have mentioned) and/or an Amiibo and you're all set!

Neiteio

I have not seen a good look at the in game models until that post on this page

impressive really like the design
You talking about my wallpaper post? I agree, the designs are GREAT!

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd share it here -- it's a summary I wrote of neat trivia from Day 2 of Treehouse Live, with the developers:

• There are four maps currently shown in the trailer and demo, but "many more" are in development
  • The level designers have so much fun making maps that people in the department next door keep telling them to calm down
  • Some maps will focus on wall-climbing; others will emphasize varying elevations so you have to consider the angle of your shots
  • Squids were chosen over octopi because their arrow-shaped heads make it easy to tell where they're going on the GamePad map
  • Likewise, shooting ink instead of bullets is useful since you can see the attack before you're hit
  • The art direction is final, with the more urban environments meant to make you feel like you're spreading graffiti
  • The music direction is also final, and the idea is the music heard in the trailer and demo is music the Inklings listen to in their world
  • To go along with the above point, this is why some of the Inklings wear headphones
  • Members of the dev team are the ones yelling "Splatoon!" in the theme song
  • The ink-spraying competition is a fun sport for the Inklings, and the ink is an eco-friendly substance that disappears with time
  • The sound effects team worked really hard on the sound of the ink splattering in various ways
  • The texture of the ink changes based on whether it's a fresh coat or multiple layers
  • They promise the graphics will continue to improve more and more leading up to launch (they already look fantastic, IMO)
  • You pick your loadout before each match, I.E. a charge-shot sniper rifle, a paint-roller melee weapon, etc.
  • You might be able to customize your character's appearance, as well, but they're still thinking about this
  • As others said previously, there will be a variety of modes offering a lot of content (including single-player)
There may be more, but I'm going off of memory, having just watched the half-hour segment.

You talking about my wallpaper post? I agree, the designs are GREAT!

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd share it here -- it's a summary I wrote of neat trivia from Day 2 of Treehouse Live, with the developers:

• There are four maps currently shown in the trailer and demo, but "many more" are in development
  • The level designers have so much fun making maps that people in the department next door keep telling them to calm down
  • Some maps will focus on wall-climbing; others will emphasize varying elevations so you have to consider the angle of your shots
  • Squids were chosen over octopi because their arrow-shaped heads make it easy to tell where they're going on the GamePad map
  • Likewise, shooting ink instead of bullets is useful since you can see the attack before you're hit
  • The art direction is final, with the more urban environments meant to make you feel like you're spreading graffiti
  • The music direction is also final, and the idea is the music heard in the trailer and demo is music the Inklings listen to in their world
  • To go along with the above point, this is why some of the Inklings wear headphones
  • Members of the dev team are the ones yelling "Splatoon!" in the theme song
  • The ink-spraying competition is a fun sport for the Inklings, and the ink is an eco-friendly substance that disappears with time
  • The sound effects team worked really hard on the sound of the ink splattering in various ways
  • The texture of the ink changes based on whether it's a fresh coat or multiple layers
  • They promise the graphics will continue to improve more and more leading up to launch (they already look fantastic, IMO)
  • You pick your loadout before each match, I.E. a charge-shot sniper rifle, a paint-roller melee weapon, etc.
  • You might be able to customize your character's appearance, as well, but they're still thinking about this
  • As others said previously, there will be a variety of modes offering a lot of content (including single-player)
There may be more, but I'm going off of memory, having just watched the half-hour segment.

HYPE INTENSIFIES

Top Bottom