• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Frostbite Go, the mobile version (iOS/Android) of Frostbite

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the Frostbite webpage went live today, and this is the first time EA has officially acknowledged their mobile version with a name and everything.

I'm unsure as to when the first games using it will be unveiled.

EA said:
One of our most exciting current projects is called Frostbite Go, a mobile division empowering EA game developers with Frostbite’s proven excellent workflows and features to bring true Frostbite experiences to all major mobile platforms.
EA said:
Used exclusively by EA teams and studios, our workflows and runtimes are highly configurable and cover all aspects of development including Audio, Animation, Cinematics, Scripting, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, Destruction, Rendering, Visual Effects, and more. Frostbite games are currently in development for current and future platforms including mobile devices.

Runtime in Frostbite supports a highly scalable model in order to appeal to the diverse array of platforms available on today’s market. Efficiency in both our runtime memory and runtime performance are both key factors to enabling code and data systems to deploy content to diverse targets from XBOX360 and PlayStation 4 to iOS and Android.
EA said:
Frostbite Stockholm hosts six of our development sub-groups; Audio, Core Systems, Mobile (Frostbite Go), Physics, Production Systems and Rendering.

Frostbite Vancouver drives our technology forward with a focus on industry leading animation and cinematics.
Source: http://www.frostbite.com/about/history/ (and other various pages)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I must resist from doing a joke about Wii U

So there's a chance now Wii U will get Frostbite

iF0oUZ44QDtBv.gif

gngf123

I wonder how long it will be until we get people talking about the Wii U....

Oh wait, nevermind.

Interested to see what happens with this.

I've always wanted to see a Turned Based Strategy with the environment destruction afforded by Frostbite. This seems like a good starting path to make this happen, all on my tablet (which is in bad need of Turned Based Strategy games).

I was just thinking to myself reading that Wii U frostbite thread "they should announce a mobile version of Frostbite. I bet the reaction would be fun".

Dont let me down gaf.

qwerty2k

Boast about scalability from iOS to 360 to PS4 yet claim the Wii U isn't powerful enough for it. What a joke, just say the real reason instead of BS.

The jokes around here are getting very predictable. When I saw the thread title I knew there would be a Wii U joke. Unfortunately when you know what the jokes are going to be, it makes them decidedly less funny.

Whats worse is that legit threads are basically being threadcrapped to death by an endless stream of comedians making the same joke.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... they can make Frostbite works on fucking mobiles, but not Wii U? I forgot who that Frostbite guy was, but this just proves that what he said about "not being able to make it work properly on Wii U" is bullshit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gonna guess that Ghost (EA Gothenburg) is using it.

Katori

First post gold as always.

It would be silly at this point for them NOT to port to Wii U. I don't care if it runs worse than BF3 on Xbox, it's throwing money away to not have a Wii U version.

Besides, wasn't MW Frostbite? Or only The Run?

Have we seen anything that isn't gritty realism from Frostbite yet? I worry about the homogenisation of game visuals, not that it isn't exactly evident at EA already... isn't this alleged Plants vs. Zombie FPS game meant to be in Frostbite?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So... they can make Frostbite works on fucking mobiles, but not Wii U? I forgot who that Frostbite guy was, but this just proves that what he said about "not being able to make it work properly on Wii U" is bullshit.

He didn't say it was impossible, just that they decided not to pursue that route.

Pretty much confirms that lack of Wii U support has less to do with performance and more to do with expected ROI, but that was kinda obvious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have we seen anything that isn't gritty realism from Frostbite yet? I worry about the homogenisation of game visuals, not that it isn't exactly evident at EA already... isn't this alleged Plants vs. Zombie FPS game meant to be in Frostbite?

One of the original tests was a Mirror's Edge scene re-rendered with realtime lighting. It looked basically the same as Mirror's Edge.

Why? It's still true. You can't make a properly next-gen version of the Frostbite engine for the Wii U.

The mobile version doesn't change anything. And I don't think anyone would want a Wii U version of the Frostbite Go engine.

Argyle

Uhhh...I'm going to guess that they don't have the full version of Frostbite 3 running on mobile...

Runtime in Frostbite supports a highly scalable model in order to appeal to the diverse array of platforms available on today’s market. Efficiency in both our runtime memory and runtime performance are both key factors to enabling code and data systems to deploy content to diverse targets from XBOX360 and PlayStation 4 to iOS and Android.

If you still think performance was the reason the engine wasn't ported to the Wii U, please tell me now so I can ignoring you whenever you mention anything about the system from now on. Yes I know it wouldn't make sense for the Wii U to get the mobile version but there's no reason an engine this scalable shouldn't be possible on the system for "technical" reasons

gngf123

To be fair, I would guess "Go" is very stripped down compared to FB3.

The real BS thing is that they are now promoting the idea that FB scales very well, which I find hilarious after what they said about the Wii U.

Boast about scalability from iOS to 360 to PS4 yet claim the Wii U isn't powerful enough for it. What a joke, just say the real reason instead of BS.
Frostbite on mobiles won't be the same as consoles, the same way UE3 on ios isn't the really the same as consoles. The tools are probably the same but the features? Nope.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
3ds and Vita got left in the cold.

I guess this tell us a lot about gaming handhelds situation in the west.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So you want your Wii U games to look and play like iOS games? ;)

Top Bottom