• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitch in Destiny reveals DLC details and content is partially on Disc

Sketchbag

Banned
Probably makes build management easier. If you have a WIP area, it's probably simpler to just not enable the entry to the area (which is how the final game will work anyway if it's a strike area) than to mask the area from being included in certain builds.

I can understand this. We will have to see if it's just an activation that starts it up or if more will be added to it when the DLC drops.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everybody thought that destiny would have more content then it does. People are mad because there should be more content in this game.
The game doesn't need more content. It has plenty of content that extends it past many other full priced games. The quality and mission structure of that content is debatable.

Still mostly good, doesn't hold up to Halo in terms of replayability, then again nothing really does.

spannicus

Shit really does suck. Cutting shit outta the game just so they can charge 90 instead of 60. DLC my ass, dont they mean for the rest of the game that we locked off.

The game doesn't need more content. It has plenty of content that extends it past many other full priced games. The quality and mission structure of that content is debatable.

Still mostly good, doesn't hold up to Halo in terms of replayability, then again nothing really does.

I think the amount of content Destiny has is debatable. I like the game but you go to the same locations over and over again to do the same thing every time.

ElRenoRaven

Were they there in the alpha to?

Actually yes they were. They were there in alpha and pre alpha. There had been no changes made to the area other then the doors being shut upon beta and retail. Those doors were shut to keep people out of an obviously incomplete area.

Man, I dodged a bullet by being broke around the launch of this game.

It is fascinating though, from hype that promised the universe, to the reality of an unambitious shooter deliberately starved of content.

FHIZ

Good thing I got drunk and ordered Diablo III last night. Was hoping the "expansions" would maybe fix some stuff about the game, but this just makes it seem like it's going to be the same old sort of Destiny stuff. OH WELL. Better luck next time.

How can Bungie be happy with Activision I don't know

Money...

Not buying this one bit. Sorry. 5 hours is focused speed running and thats giving you some credit for ability too. Especially solo.

Seriously man, I don't have a vendetta and I'm not making stuff up. I booted up the game and the first thing I did was play every single story mission beginning to end. That's what Bungie.net says my playtime is, so I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe I just got lucky?

Gator86

First I heard that Skyrim's open world paled in comparison to Destiny's, then I heard that Uncharted 2's mission design didn't even reach half the height of Destiny's, and now I'm hearing 40+ hours into the game, you've only gotten halfway through the campaign.

It just keeps on coming.

People say absolutely insane shit defending Destiny. It's fine to enjoy Destiny. The shooting is fun. You don't have to come up with all these other inane comparisons to try and justify the time you spent playing it.

That said, Destiny is amazing in that it validates almost every cynical, negative comment about gaming people made last gen. Destiny is an overly focus-tested game with no heart, story, or depth designed to maintain a player-base by forcing a grind to give Bungie more time to churn out half-assed DLC that should have been in the original title.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
The first DLC will include 4-5 missions, 2 strikes(one on earth, one on Mars), 1 raid(on Moon) and 3 crucible maps.
HAHA HOLY SHIT! I am so glad I managed to get a refund from MS on the digital guardian edition I bought and picked up the vanilla version, i don't mind not having that special ship... Fuck me.

Shock!

But seriously though, we know for a fact that there's areas in the game that were cut for DLC. King's Watch, the Jovian Complex, the Seraphim Vault... the question is how much was cut. If (and with Destiny, this is a really, really huge "if") the missions accompanying those areas were unfinished at launch, and prove to be worth the wait, fine. If it's just more "go here, have dinklebot scan X, kill stuff, repeat" context-free bullshit we've got in the main game, then yeah, break out the pitchforks. But let's wait until then.

Pain

Banned
Shit really does suck. Cutting shit outta the game just so they can charge 90 instead of 60. DLC my ass, dont they mean for the rest of the game that we locked off.
Calm down man. We don't know how much of this content is actually ready to play. It's probably unfinished.

Fbh

What game are you playing?

For as much as people like to shit on Destiny... from what I've heard a lot of people enjoy the PVP.

So I could see him playing for 40 without finishing the story.
Or is PVP only unlocked after you finish the game?

This is the last thing Bungie and Activision need right now.

Especially Bungie who is notorious for keeping things from going public and has that secretive element to them..

Everybody thought that destiny would have more content then it does. People are mad because there should be more content in this game.

But is this a case of purposely holding content back or trying to ship the game on time? Seems to happen quite frequently with games where consumers backlash without really knowing how development cycles work, how DLC is planned and what constitutes a full game being released.

Tekku

Locked content on a disc doesn't automatically mean finished content on a disc. It surprises me that most people always tend to believe this.

And these kind of vague leaks are always treated as official statements somehow, which is kinda ridiculous.

For as much as people like to shit on Destiny... from what I've heard a lot of people enjoy the PVP.

So I could see him playing for 40 without finishing the story.
Or is PVP only unlocked after you finish the game?

The PVP is insanely average and Bungie's worst. But people spend hours on bad games so it wouldn't shock me.

KingJolly

Banned
Nah, people is playing Destiny because they don't have anything better to play. Thank god FH2 and Shadow of Mordor are going to change that.

BS, there a a lot better shooters available out there for current gen and even more for last gen. Unless of course they beat all of them.

And theres a better loot game as well/

Seanspeed

Banned
How the hell are people twisting this into a big deal of withheld content?

There's a small bit of incomplete, currently inaccessible content that can be glitched into.
They have a narrative built in their minds and they will gloss over things in order to fit this into it.

Ken

Don't care too much that the content is already on disc. As someone with slow internet, I'm actually thankful for that lol.

What I want to know is if those strikes are going to be devoid of mechanics and are peekaboo bullet sponge borefests like all the current strikes, with all the interesting encounter design stuck in the raid.

Well this would explaing why The Reef is there just for one fucking cutscene in the entire game. Clearly was supposed to have stuff there but got took out months before release.

I'm honestly not surprised but this shit needs to stop man.

malfcn

Those mp maps may be really barren.

The Reef looks like it would be a cool destination in the game. And it basically a hub for 2 scenes. It was planned all along if the DLC expands it.

Hahahaha.

Wow, I'm fucking done with Destiny and Bungie.

I already have the "Expansion packs" because my friend got me the digital special edition, but I fucking refuse to play a game where others have to pay for content that was clearly cut with such limited content for an "expansion".

Look how big the Destiny thread is. This wont matter to all the people hopelessly falling for this games RNG addicting game-play. Same thing will happen with Destiny 2.

Pathetic. Back in the day I never thought I'd picture Bungie like this in 2014

What am I "falling" for? Liking the game?

The more I read about this game, the less I want to play it. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm happy I missed out on the hype train past the alpha.

kanuuna

Locking higher level Strike playlists behind a paywall is absolutely hilarious.
And this is what, 30€? 40€? Yeah, I think I'll pass.

Lothars

smh at the over reactions here, I doubt that's all the first DLC's packs will include but of course the same people that bitch about DLC will whine and complain trying to push there agenda.

ElRenoRaven

People say absolutely insane shit defending Destiny. It's fine to enjoy Destiny. The shooting is fun. You don't have to come up with all these other inane comparisons to try and justify the time you spent playing it.

That said, Destiny is amazing in that it validates almost every cynical, negative comment about gaming people made last gen. Destiny is an overly focus-tested game with no heart, story, or depth designed to maintain a player-base by forcing a grind to give Bungie more time to churn out half-assed DLC that should have been in the original title.

While I think some are being hyperbolic on their length of time I can see how it could take someone a lot longer then another. Maybe he spent time farming, going back and redoing things. So it's possible it really did take him that long. That's the thing. With a game like this or any open world game you really can't judge the length to complete the campaign because of the variety of stuff to do. Each person is different. Do I think some completed it in 5 hours? Probably. At the same time I believe some probably took a hell of a lot longer then that. I know for me it took about 15 hours. I had to grind out a couple of patrols here and there. Also I tended to take my time and explore a lot. So yea trying to tell anyone their wrong in how long it took is a bit useless because everyone took it at their own pace.

Well this would explaing why The Reef is there just for one fucking cutscene in the entire game. Clearly was supposed to have stuff there but got took out months before release.

I'm honestly not surprised but this shit needs to stop man.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game but come on man. There's absolutely no evidence that there was a fully functional planet that they simply cut out for DLC. The Reef SHOULD have been in the full game, IMO, but that doesn't mean that it was ready.

Marcel

Don't care too much that the content is already on disc. As someone with slow internet, I'm actually thankful for that lol.

What I want to know is if those strikes are just going to be devoid of mechanics and are peekaboo bullet sponge borefests like all the current strikes.

They're supposed to "fix" the Strikes "soon". Until then, enjoy your bullet sponge borefest.

cilonen

umm don't you have to get to venus to do the raid?

I did a daily heroic story mission last week which turned out to be one of the middle Mars missions. I hadn't finished Venus in the campaign at that point so it kind of ruined the sequence and spoilered a new planet for me without warning. Fortunately the plot is garbage so little of value was lost story-wise.

RoKKeR

Really glad I passed on the deluxe edition or whatever, can't say I'm surprised.

I have next to zero motivation to play Destiny as it is and it looks like these expansions aren't going to do much to change that.

Top Bottom