• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PS3 and PS4 mention in PC texture files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found in PC version. Notice mention of PS4 and PS3.

post-41665-0-47539800-1392497028_thumb.png

From this screen, it seems that a PS3 and PS4 version was indeed in development or at least planned for release. This makes me more sad...

EDIT: Well maybe not a PS4 mention, but at least a PS3 mention.

Not surprised at all. I fully expect Titanfall to be a timed exclusive at best. But honestly, after all that Ive heard about the player count and the bots, Ive kinda lost interested in the game all together.

Mung

Don't be sad. You'll probably get the sequel. Doubt MS will manage to moneyhat the entire franchise, especially with ps4 sales as they are.

Freki

Funding a game that otherwise wouldn't be made and making it exclusive e.g. B2 is fine.
Paying money to prevent others from playing a game isn't... but that's just my 2 cents...

Oppo

This is not too big a deal.

Many of these engines spit out standard profiles for all platforms they support, even if they are commented out later or whatever

I thought it was more or less known this was initially developed for all platforms.
Just by simple evaluation of Respawn statements and constant deferment to EA when pressed about it, one could tell.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think those PS40 things are actually Pixel Shader 4.0 references.

The PS3 reference is unmistakable though.

But yeah, sure, I imagine there was a PS3 SKU in the mix at some point.

calder

I wonder how awful the PS3 version would have been. It's not exactly a technically stunning game at all, but I'd bet the PS3 would get sub 720 and frequent drops below 60, not just during Titan fights.

RE_Player

What a dumb move on EA's part to allow Microsoft to lock it down. Third party exclusives are so stupid nowadays. When you want to establish a brand for the coming years launch on every strong platform possible!

Activision is smart and only does content deals, be it timed exclusive Call of Duty maps on Xbox or upcoming exclusive Destiny content for Playstation. That's why they are number one and EA will always be below them.

Texhex

Banned
Not surprised at all. I fully expect Titanfall to be a timed exclusive at best. But honestly, after all that Ive heard about the player count and the bots, Ive kinda lost interested in the game all together.

You shouldn't expect it at all.
As we've guessed before, Titanfall was only ~1 year exclusive for Xbox (see CBOAT).
So PS3/PS4 being mentioned in the code makes sense.
Then, MS made a new deal with EA.
Now it's exclusive forever.

If you want Titanfall on your PS4, you have to wait for Titanfall 2.

Mesoian

What a dumb move on EA's part to allow Microsoft to lock it down. Third party exclusives are so stupid nowadays. When you want to establish a brand for the coming years launch on every strong platform possible!

Activision is smart and only does content deals, be it timed exclusive Call of Duty maps on Xbox or upcoming exclusive Destiny content for Playstation. That's why they are number one and EA will always be below them.

Oh I bet the price tag made it a pretty smart move.

Finalizer

I think those PS40 things are actually Pixel Shader 4.0 references.

But yeah, the PS3 bits are unmistakable, and IIRC the Respawn guys said part of the reason they went with Source in the first place was that it was proven to play nice with the PS3 through Portal 2, so it's not surprising to see that they'd probably delved at least a decent bit into development in that area before full exclusivity made that irrelevant.

Jinoru

Banned
Sad day. Titanfall 2 will just have to come soon then. Or EA will have to change their agreement, since PS4 is thromping XBone.

Sephzilla

Considering the game is published by EA and the PS4 is thumping XB1 in sales, I'm still not sold that Titanfall stays locked to the Xbox. EA will chase that money.

DeviantBoi

Funny... I don't see a huge banner on the front of the box that states "EXCLUSIVE TO THE XBONE" or "ONLY ON XBONE".

OneUh8

No problem. I will wait for TF2. Which should no doubt be an improvement over the first iteration. 1080p/60 to be exact ;)

Remnants of early development? Particularly considering references to "Durango". This will most likely be a Mass Effect 1 case, we'll be seeing the sequel on PS4. It's hard to believe Microsoft could moneyhat as much as it'd sell on the more popular platform.

Yeah it is usual to find multiplatform extension in game files as they are from engine or assets usually design around multiplats

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Considering the game is published by EA and the PS4 is thumping XB1 in sales, I'm still not sold that Titanfall stays locked to the Xbox. EA will chase that money.

Titanfall will be an ongoing franchise. EA will simply move on to TitanFall 2 on everything and the first Titanfall will be deprecated, so to speak. Titanfall 1 being 'locked' to Xbox won't matter at that point to them or the franchise (as long as the first is successful etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom