• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '18 |OT| From 199 to The Greatest of All Time

Klocker

Graphics and lighting are way improved. Gameplay seems smoother too.

Put 17 and 18 up on my TV back to back to back and it's night and day if you have a good TV and you can see that quality. Pretty nice upgrade. And having three different types of gameplay is really cool. Switch between competitive and arcade and it's a nice little change up depending on mood.

Arcade i not NFL blitz. It is just less penalties and some bigger plays. Still plays like a Madden game.

jmizzal

Not gonna be able to download until tomorrow, but I know I will go thru those 10 hours quickly this weekend lol

prob get The Longshot out the way

Klocker

Not gonna be able to download until tomorrow, but I know I will go thru those 10 hours quickly this weekend lol

prob get The Longshot out the way

Sadly Longshot is only partially payable on Access. Need full game to get past first hour.

Haven't tried Arcade but I plan to pretty much exclusively play simulation. I'll play Arcade when friends come over, but for my CFM I'll be running simulation.

So far, I'm pretty happy with sim insofar as it gives primacy to ratings... You can really tell the difference running behind a bad offensive line in sim. My sneaky CFM move was always to upgrade my offensive line in year 1, and then try to bring in a dynamic running back ,and with sim in '18 this strategy seems like it'll pay off more.

GravyButt

Haven't tried Arcade but I plan to pretty much exclusively play simulation. I'll play Arcade when friends come over, but for my CFM I'll be running simulation.

So far, I'm pretty happy with sim insofar as it gives primacy to ratings... You can really tell the difference running behind a bad offensive line in sim. My sneaky CFM move was always to upgrade my offensive line in year 1, and then try to bring in a dynamic running back ,and with sim in '18 this strategy seems like it'll pay off more.

Awesome! Maybe thats why its junk running with Miami, oh and Cutler is baaaad. I just wish the D would get fixed. Seems like zone doesn't work at all and you just get beat nonstop. I was never really good at man coverage though. I need some definite helps/tips on D. Like best formations ect, I usually play as the Cowboys.

Nintendad

Anyone else play the Longshot? I'm really enjoying what EA is doing with stories in their sports titles. It has me eager to play more football in a way that I haven't felt in a long time. It feels a lot like a Telltale game. I'm enjoying it, a lot!

giphy.gif

jmizzal

Is there a link to download this from EA access remote?

Sadly Longshot is only partially payable on Access. Need full game to get past first hour.

I forgot that EA access trial doesnt mean your buying the game, so I understand them not letting people finish the story mode.

I guess i'll wait to play it when I get the disk

Zach

Anyone else play the Longshot? I'm really enjoying what EA is doing with stories in their sports titles. It has me eager to play more football in a way that I haven't felt in a long time. It feels a lot like a Telltale game. I'm enjoying it, a lot!

giphy.gif

Hmmm... interesting...

datamage

Do we know if the story mode allows you to have your player go into the NFL and all that fun stuff? (Like in the NBA 2K games.) Or is it an entirely different thing altogether?

Sorry if this is common info, I have not been following this year's Madden too closely.

lefty1117

Gold Member
So far the impressions I've seen of Longshot mode are quite favorable. Looking forward to it.

I really wish they'd port this series over to PC like they do with Fifa. Xbox it is, then!

Do we know if the story mode allows you to have your player go into the NFL and all that fun stuff? (Like in the NBA 2K games.) Or is it an entirely different thing altogether?

Sorry if this is common info, I have not been following this year's Madden too closely.

I was wondering this as well. From what I've seen it seems like the goal is to just get drafted and then that's it. Mode looks really good, but it'd be a bit of a letdown if we can't go beyond draft night.

Nintendad

Yeah, it seems to be it's own stand alone thing and doesn't work like be a star mode.

Haha... I love it.

So hey, I saw that college teams are in the game. Are there many? Do you get to choose your school?

(plz bring back NCAA.)

When you get finished what you can play in the Trial the game says you're 12% of the way through Longshot. It really is a stand alone story. so it's kind of like an already written story and you play through it.

Here's a quick video I made of what it looks like when you fail a QTE/Throw

https://youtu.be/Ui8Ehw9w-oY

Nintendad

I was wondering this as well. From what I've seen it seems like the goal is to just get drafted and then that's it. Mode looks really good, but it'd be a bit of a letdown if we can't go beyond draft night.

Everything about your character is pretty much all decided. you're just along for the ride and playing the story. your decisions have less of an impact than other modes. This isn't like Be a Pro. It's more like an episode of Friday Night Lights and you just play out the games.

https://youtu.be/JpfNJPdQQuQ

please excuse me being bad at Madden.

Euron

I have to play as Trevin Wade in the story mode? That's like making a Game of Thrones game where you play as Janos Slynt

jmizzal

Nope it ends at the draft, which is the dumbest thing ever, they should just let you get drafted and then export it over the Franchise mode playing as a player, heck at that point you should be able to just change your name to what you want.

Kinda like in NBA 2K once your drafted you can change the nickname so in game your not being called the story characters nickname anymore.

But you can export stuff from the longshot too Ultimate team of course since in that mode people can spend real money

chaislip3

You can actually import Wade into CFM. If you pick a mobile QB and choose late round pick or undrafted, it automatically loads him in.

Hopefully you mean you're buying with GCU and selling it for what you paid come November.

I only did that when NCAA Football would come out in July and trade it right back in for full price towards Madden back in the day. Besides, I usually get tired of Madden after 2-3 weeks.

m29a

Neo Member
Put in 10 hours w/trial and it felt way too familiar. I wasn't expecting anything huge but it really felt like 17.5 to me. The lighting really looks improved along with some character models but I was expecting way more varied tackling animations or improved footwork. I think they spent too much time on "Longshot". The gameplay truly needs an overhaul these next couple years. Do story modes after you get a new real-time physics engine in there.

Top Bottom