• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tl;dr:
  • Quake Champions is entering early access on August 22nd.
  • You can buy the Early Access version for $30, which is 25% off the final price for the paid verison.
  • The game still has an f2p mode where you just get Ranger and can rent other heroes.
  • Doom Slayer (or as you might better know him, Doom Marine) has been added to the game.
  • There will be at least 6 more champions added to the game by the end of 2018 for a total of 17. They wording implies they might add more than 6 champions by then, and might add more after then, but they're probably not certain the game will actually be successful, so don't want to commit beyond that.
  • There's also a bunch of new content coming in on August 22nd.
  • You can get the game on either Bethesda.net or Steam.

quake_earlyaccess_doodiywr.jpg

quake_earlyaccess_chu58y1q.jpg

Quake Champions – Early Access Starts Soon

Quake Champions is about to exit its Closed Beta phase and officially enter into Early Access on Steam and the Bethesda.net launcher. Starting on August 22, the game will receive a whole host of content, including new maps, features and a special new Champion: the mighty DOOM Slayer from the DOOM series.

”With a fast, skill-based game like Quake Champions, nothing is more important than continual testing and refining based on player feedback to ensure the game is balanced, optimized, and fun for all levels of players, from pro to new," says Tim Willits, Studio Director, id Software. ”The Early Access version of Quake Champions is, obviously, a work-in-progress, but represents a solid and robust version of the game, with four modes, 11 Champions, a variety of maps, and a thriving community of fans. Early Access will allow us to work closely with players to improve the game and add additional features before the official launch of Quake Champions in the coming months."

The Champions Pack

Players who want to jump in and frag their way to global dominance will be able to buy the Champions Pack, which will unlock all current and future Champions as well as other exclusive in-game bonuses for $29.99, 25% off the final retail price of $39.99.

To play Quake Champions during Early Access, players can buy the Champions Pack, which includes:

• All 11 current Champions, including Ranger, Visor, Scalebearer, Nyx, Anarki, Clutch, Sorlag, Galena, Slash, Wolfenstein's BJ Blazkowicz, and the new DOOM Slayer
  • All future Champions, including at least six additional Champions expected to release before the end of 2018, and any that follow
  • An exclusive Early Access skin for Ranger, available only during the Early Access period for Champions Pack players
  • Three Reliquaries (loot chests containing three in-game items for profile, Champion and weapon customization, including skins, shaders, nameplates and more)

Quake Champions' free-to-play version will launch at a later date. However, players who previously redeemed a Closed Beta key will be able to continue playing Quake Champions in free-to-play mode, only via Bethesda.net. These players will play on the same servers as Champions Pack owners and have the option of upgrading to the Champions Pack or buying additional Champions at any time. Players new to Quake Champions will need to either buy the Champions Pack or wait until free-to-play mode launches at a later date.

Put a little DOOM in Your Quake!

Quake Champions' newest playable Champion, DOOM Slayer, comes straight from the depths of hell to the Arenas, wielding his pounding fists and an unceasing thirst for blood. Fans of DOOM can run amok using DOOM Slayer's active ability, Berserk – smashing enemies into bloody piles of gibs with his bare hands. DOOM Slayer's passive ability will also be familiar to DOOM fans; reach new heights with Double Jump, which allows the DOOM Slayer to jump a second time while in mid-air.

Additional Content & Features Going Live at Early Access

In addition to the new Champion, Quake Champions Early Access will also introduce a host of new content and features for players, including:

• Two New Maps: Church of Azathoth and Tempest Shrine
  • Rune Challenges: Players will be reward for completing new Rune Challenges found in Backpacks
  • Lore System: Players will find Lore Items hidden throughout Arenas in vases. By collecting all 10 Lore Items for a specific Champion, they will unlock that Champion's high-end Lore Skin.
  • Improved New Player Onboarding: New features to help get fresh fraggers up to speed include a movement tutorial, shooting gallery and the ability to choose a skill level
  • New Customization Options: New options include new Champion skin sets and weapon shaders
  • In-Game Voice Chat
Source: https://bethesda.net/en/article/TjBBCfxxymoAECG06kwaq/quake-champions-early-access

Accoun

As I understand: The F2P mode is ONLY on Bethesda Launcher and ONLY if you had the access to the closed beta - on Steam you HAVE to buy the Champion Pack. Until they add F2P on Steam in the "future" (Which might as well be "at launch").

Right? Because that kinda sucks very much.

Springy

Okay, this is cool. I didn't know there was a paid version; I thought you could only 'rent' characters and that was it. I'm into this.

But

Doom Slayer (or as you might better know him, Doom Marine) has been added to the game.

Doomguy.

lazygecko

All the other characters in this game have such obnoxious voice acting, but ironically Doomguy would be the one exception where I'd actually be in favor of adding voices. Just have him quote shit straight from the Doom comic.

Lijik

Damn they got me, i hate the bethesda client so much Im willing to drop 30 bucks just to play Quake Champions on steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, this is cool. I didn't know there was a paid version; I thought you could only 'rent' characters and that was it. I'm into this.

But

Doomguy.

I'm suspicious the decision to de-genderize the name was intentional given trends in most of Bethesda's other products.

NIN90

DOOM Slayer’s passive ability will also be familiar to DOOM fans; reach new heights with Double Jump, which allows the DOOM Slayer to jump a second time while in mid-air.

ah yes classic doom marine: double jumping

Mupod

add Crash and we'll talk

but seriously I should try this out. Lawbreakers wasn't really what I'm looking for.

I always saw him referred to as either Doomguy or Doom Marine. Doom Slayer's cool though. Also having a free-to-play mode for this will give it an edge over Lawbreakers and possibly Overwatch even. I used to think Overwatch would be untouchable but it seems like the community may be hitting a bit of a slump. Granted I don't have any evidence to back that up other than what I've experienced in my friend groups and discussions online.

I'll give it a shot once it's free on Steam. The beta was decent but started to get a bit boring on the same several maps.

lol @ f2p on Bethesda launcher/$30 on Steam

Haven't really been in love with the closed betas but it's fun enough that I'll definitely pick it up.

Double jump for Doomguy. Sounds like something I could have a lot of fun with. Hopefully he's not slow, that would be criminal. =P

Swarna

This game is instantly satisfying to play. Queue times have gotten a lot better recently, too. The netcode still needs work, though.

SimonM7

I dunno why they changed the colour scheme for the guy in the new DOOM. He would sidestep Master Chief comparisons with ease, and pop more as well, if he wasn't suddenly all green. Sleeveless midriff doomguy may be pushing it, but just redistribute the impression you get from looking at that original sprite.

I hope a broader palette in general is in the cards for a new DOOM 2.

Glass Rebel

Ah, good ol' Doom Slayer.

Not really into the hero shooter genre anymore but I guess it won't hurt to try.

Unless Bethesda.net has some malware lmao.

OneUh8

Easy $30 spent. Quake is my all time fav series. So happy it will be on steam. The Bethesda client is hot garbage.

Sarobi

Banned
Will pick it up on Steam for sure. I've put about 30 hours into the beta so far and love it. Also.. Doom Slayer? Why didn't they just call him Doom Guy

Wait where did "Doomguy" come from anyway? I never ever saw the name be anything other than "Doom" or "Marine" going all the way back to the first game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't really been following? How is the game? I'm down to buy if it's good and will be well supported.

I decided to watch the EU qualifiers on a whim when they were live the other week (you can view the matches on the Quake Champions Twitch channel) and was actually pleasantly surprised. Like most everyone else, I rolled my eyes when Bethesda announced a Quake hero shooter, but it actually adds an interesting strategic layer to the traditional duel format. A lot of care has been taken to preserve the high skill ceiling Quake's vintage arena shooter gameplay is known for while injecting it with a modern twist.

Swarna

It's barely a hero shooter, and that's a good thing. Heroes are more flavours of ice-cream rather than different desserts altogether.

Even Carmack referred to him as "Doomguy"

When, where? I'm actually looking for the origin of the term and can only find some old ass forum posts from Romero who says the Doom hero's name is intentionally left unmentioned because it's the player avatar and not a character the same way B.J. Blazkowicz or Commander Keen were.

"Doomguy" seems like entirely a fan invention rather than a canonical name.

Mooreberg

Will this also get unfairly railed as just an Overwatch clone too?
They haven't been mentioning Overwatch at every turn, so I doubt it.

Not having both versions on Steam is weird, but I guess smarter than trying to pretend that Steam doesn't exist altogether.

When, where? I'm actually looking for the origin of the term and can only find some old ass forum posts from Romero who says the Doom hero's name is intentionally left unmentioned because it's the player avatar and not a character the same way B.J. Blazkowicz or Commander Keen were.

"Doomguy" seems like entirely a fan invention rather than a canonical name.
I'm thinking Doomguy was probably a fan invention, but it's been so popular with the community for so long that it has become canonized. Hell, I remember calling him Doomguy way back when you could still buy different expansion packs of .wads at your local game store.

Will this also get unfairly railed as just an Overwatch clone too?
Most FPS fans in the know will likely not make that mistake. Be sure to expect lots of those overwatch players in the enthusiast press to show their ass, though!

I always saw him referred to as either Doomguy or Doom Marine. Doom Slayer's cool though. Also having a free-to-play mode for this will give it an edge over Lawbreakers and possibly Overwatch even. I used to think Overwatch would be untouchable but it seems like the community may be hitting a bit of a slump.

What I think makes OW "untouchable," at least in comparison to this or something like Lawbreakers is that a player can be a lot worse at OW and feel better about themselves because the skill floor is a lot lower than Quake or Lawbreakers, in my opinion.

It's really just a lot more accessible, that's all.

renzolama

This trend of games being announced as free-to-play and then releasing in 'early-access' for money with promises that the game will actually be free later is fucking bizarre, is nobody else noticing this? The publishers are now getting the beta testers to pay them while promising that the actual customers of the stable game will be getting it for free "later". How absurdly backwards is this?

Top Bottom