• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Spoilers Thread

WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW

Here's a buffer image on the off chance that you've accidentally wandered into this thread or want to back out now. You have been warned. The Lost Legacy is out and plenty of people have finished the game

jUochWL.jpg

Feel free to discuss any/all endings, plot twists, and connections to previous games below.

a) I finished the game at 4am local time and wanted to eat pizza

b) I sort of hated sam in this. They wanted people to like him as the new drake - twice he talked about running away with the treasure - even when Nadine was on the train and the bomb is going into the city. It's the character bit in the game that felt off. I was like "if Naughty Dog hoped to anchor their franchise with this unattractive/balding, weasel - then they ought to do more with his character" than to make him a weasel when it counts.

c) APC tank fight was amazing and it felt like 2's tank chase and a mini boss fight all in one.

d) Axe jumping room puzzle was top notch. As each room got bigger and the traps got a bit more challenging, also the room looked incredible

e) bracelet of the queen is the best treasure hunting thing ever. I never bothered with looking for treasure in 4 (could be anywhere)

loved that the grappler showed up in this. That room he was in was quite challenging on hard with people flanking you. He needed to be in the game more.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Got stuck at shadow puzzle. baedine did that one for me.

It doesn't feel like a "proper" Uncharted but there was a lot to like about it and the pacing is so much better.

The enemies are still at ridiculous levels but it wasn't wave after endless wave of them.

I liked Chloe as a character though wish she was slightly less wise cracking as it sort of makes her more like Drake when she should be her own character.

I guess there was a reason for Sam to come back but I don't feel he added much to the game or story.

Not sure why so many got their goddamn panties in a twist about the open world part. It was one part that was "optional" and you could just go straight to the objective if you wanted. Jesus fuck people complaining about an optional side quest.

Not sure it's was worth the full price but I liked the game as a whole and it was nice not to have it drag on like some past of the other Uncharted did.

Got stuck at shadow puzzle. baedine did that one for me.

It doesn't feel like a "proper" Uncharted but there was a lot to like about it and the pacing is so much better.

The enemies are still at ridiculous levels but it wasn't wave after endless wave of them.

I liked Chloe as a character though wish she was slightly less wise cracking as it sort of makes her more like Drake when she should be her own character.

I guess there was a reason for Sam to come back but I don't feel he added much to the game or story.

Not sure why so many got their goddamn panties in a twist about the open world part. It was one part that was "optional" and you could just go straight to the objective if you wanted. Jesus fuck people complaining about an optional side quest.

Not sure it's was worth the full price but I liked the game as a whole and it was nice not to have it drag on like some past of the other Uncharted did.

I didnt have problems with any of the puzzles. thought they were all really well done in TLL. Shadow puzzle was a favourite as was the jumping/axe one.

Claudia black was amazing as Chloe; loved how nuanced the scene was when she discovered that her dad had been to the lost city. I think Chloe was always somewhat wisecracky/mouthy - she certainly was in UC2.

It's worth the money imo, quite a long title, incredibly polished. There's the whole game and MP also.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My only major complaint -

SAM. Seriously, I hated him in Uncharted 4 and even more so in TLL. Was looking like a 9.5/10 going into the end of chapter 5 but once Sam was introduced, that changed simply because he serves no purpose and isn't needed whatsoever in my opinion.

Everything else was awesome and I want more of Chloe damn it!!!

-That TRAIN set piece had me all nostalgic! What great callback to Uncharted 2.
-This game has the 2nd best set pieces in the franchise. U3 is still king in that department imho.
-Absolutely loved doing the sidequest and what great reward it had in the end.
-Sam definetly game a bit of the Nathan Drake fix that I needed in this game. Definetly liking him more and more.
-No CUTTER though T_T
-The banter and chemistry between Chloe and Nadine was surprisingly great.
-Ministry of Culture XD

LiK

Sam Drake was a nice surprise. Really happy they brought him back just to get Nadine and him to tie up their loose end. He felt like Sully to me.

The lack of Druckmann was very apparent here. The gameplay is just about as good as it was in 4, but the story doesn't feel nearly as inspired as the prior 2 ND games. Overall it was good, but for a Naughty Dog game, it's kinda hard to not feel a little underwhelmed.

LiK

Probably and I for one am happy that they are as im not into the supernatural element.

The worst thing about the supernatural stuff was:

1) Zombies in UC1 suck and were boring to fight against.

2) The bulletsponge blue guys in UC2 were just way too tedious to fight.

I'm glad supernatural stuff is gone for gameplay reasons.

The elephant scene and the final set piece are 2 of my favorite things in gaming this generation. Amazing game hope we get another Uncharted game after TLOU 2.

LiK

The elephant scene and the final set piece are 2 of my favorite things in gaming this generation. Amazing game hope we get another Uncharted game after TLOU 2.

They confirmed more UC games will be made. Let's hope they continue to keep the quality up. I would very much like them to get into Chinese myths and legends. Choosing India was pretty cool.

This was the evolution of 2 that I wanted since playing 2. 4 was basically doing its own thing, but this felt like what 3 should have been. For one, the pacing and mix of action, puzzles, exploration, and character beats was balanced well and naturally flowed together

The temples and ruins were the best since 2's Nepal temple. I felt 3 and 4 were lacking in this area; this went back to the grandiose lost cities and structures that 2 did well

The final chapter was the best sequence the series has ever done, the ultimate evolution of the convoy mission that ND has been iterating on since 2. Combining it with a train mission was brilliant; while the changing scenery in 2 made that train stage more visually and technologically impressive, this one was a major upgrade on the combat and gameplay fronts, with grapple swinging and seamless leaping between trucks, driving, and back on the train

In many ways, this felt like the best parts of Uncharted 2, expanded upon with the best parts of 4. Even the story was similar: a lost city, a paramilitary antagonist with his own army, an ally working with the enemy, the train and convoy mission, even a tank analog that opened up the encounter to be more free form ala 4's combat

I had positive expectations for TLL, but ND exceeded them. While 4 excelled at what it set out to do, this was unadulterated Uncharted in a lean package sans filler

JayB1920

The temples, architecture and sense of scale and awe are fantastic. Chapter 7 in particular was one visually stunning moment after another. The puzzle area was one of the most visually spectacular things I’ve seen in a game.

LiK

Climbing Shiva gave me major vibes to some of my fave climbing moments in UC2. What a gorgeous area.

I almost didn't think they were going to pay off with the pizza bit, and was telling my brother that they just left that hanging as the credits were rolling...and then the scene happened mid-sentence

I almost didn't think they were going to pay off with the pizza bit, and was telling my brother that they just left that hanging as the credits were rolling...and then the scene happened mid-sentence

I was thinking the same thing! Such a nice touch to finish the game on.

I think this might be a GOTY contender. At least for me personally.
I loved the elephant part and personally I think the train mission at the end is the best mission in all of Uncharted.
They also made Sam more likable and added much needed depth to Chloe and Nadine.
The puzzles weren't too difficult but they were very clever.
Its just the complete package.
I'm going to miss this series when it's gone, whenever that might be. No one makes games like these.

I hope people give this a chance and don't view it simply as dlc or an unimportant side story. I feel like this game isn't on the radar for a lot of gamers. I suppose the less than stellar reviews(for ND anyways) have made some people lose interest. TLL is more or less as good as 2 and 4, so I don't understand this one reviewing worse than those.
But whatever. It's a great game.

LiK

They knew what you were thinking.

Tyaren

Oh, I knew from the moment on Chloe was promising Meenu that pizza, that the game was going to end with that scene. The only question I had: Would Nadine also be there?
Additionally Sam I would have never guessed though, lol.

The lack of Druckmann was very apparent here. The gameplay is just about as good as it was in 4, but the story doesn't feel nearly as inspired as the prior 2 ND games. Overall it was good, but for a Naughty Dog game, it's kinda hard to not feel a little underwhelmed.

Thought the lack of Druckman made this the best since Uncharted 2. I don't think he nails the tone of what these games are meant to be.

I think that was for the best, for what this game was. 3 (well, 3 tried) and 4's stories were more personal and wanted to explore Drake's character, while this was more in the vein of a self-contained adventure like 2.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
There was a point while playing through the ending I was thinking, "I wonder what Nate, Sully and Elena up to right about now?"

Cause compared to Nate's heroic anecdotes of past games this is some front page fame Avengers shit..lol

I don't know if I missed it, but did the Tusk do anything? Or was it just a regular artifact?

The way people kept talking about it made me think of the Rabbit's Foot in Mission Impossible 3.

I don't know if I missed it, but did the Tusk do anything? Or was it just a regular artifact?

The way people kept talking about it made me think of the Rabbit's Foot in Mission Impossible 3.

its just an expensive treasure. worth a bomb. lol. I kept thinking, um, asav wanted this tusk to trade for a bomb?!

it's funny.

Uncharted 5 starring...
Cassie
giphy.gif

Meenu
giphy.gif

Both Drake and Chloe passing the torch.

saw this post on the bus. made me smile.

LiK

It did nothing. It's just pretty. I would love to see someone make a replica of it.

robotrock

Banned
I had noooooo idea the train was coming back. Did they talk about that in the marketing at all? I had the biggest grin during it. So good.

Uncharted 2 is one of my most favorite games, so was really happy with just about everything here. Even have the urge to replay it, which I haven't had with an Uncharted since 2.

I had noooooo idea the train was coming back. Did they talk about that in the marketing at all? I had the biggest grin during it. So good.

Uncharted 2 is one of my most favorite games, so was really happy with just about everything here. Even have the urge to replay it, which I haven't had with an Uncharted since 2.
They showed it in the launch trailer

MrJTeera

It's thematically significant. The true treasure of the Hoysala Empire are the Hoysalans themselves.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Figuratively, It was a means to show the hypocrisy in Asav's willingness to sell his people's legacy to "cleanse" India, ironically...

Literally, it was just a beautiful ornament.

Thank god for no Yetis...

THE-JUV

some people upset that Sam showed up and wishing that he would have got killed at some point do realize that would retcon the ending of UC4. I mean the epilogue takes place like 14/15 years later and Cassie reads a letter from Sam and Sully.

Wozman23

Not being a fan of UC4, or a fan of Chloe, I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved it.

I wasn't immediately on board at the start, with the walking market section and had some trepidation going into the open world section, but I really enjoyed the open world this time, especially thanks to the varied "side missions" to collect the tokens.

From then on I was on board. Some of the stuff felt somewhat derivative of past entries and Naughty Dog ideas, like the train, and jumping to vehicles like the end of UC3, and the elephant felt reminiscent of the giraffes in TLoU, but most of those sections called back some of my favorite moments in those games.

I don't know if it was a conscious effort, but I like that not long into the game you use one of those crappily handling carts - which I hated in 4, but it doesn't go as expected and they decide not to use carts again. And they don't. I hope that was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how bad the carts were. My one main gripe is that I still feel like the driving handles somewhat poorly, like one of those crappy carts with an engine strapped to it. Regardless of if you're in mud, you feel like you're in mud.

I never really liked Chloe. I always felt like she was just a stereotypical, two-bit thief, predominantly designed for eye candy. However, thanks to the exposition here, I did a 180 on her. I especially like that the game retains the humorous feel with the quips between her and Nadine, and even Sam once he enters the picture. Whereas UC4 should have packed the emotional punch, it missed the mark with me, but fleshing out her backstory was terrific and poignant.

I think my only other minor gripe is the voice acting. The diversity of the cast is great, but I had a tough time deciphering both characters accents, especially Nadine's. I felt like I was relying on subtitles far more than normal, and I feel like the audio wasn't as loud as it could have been. Still, its a pretty trivial issue for a franchise known for globetrotting around the entire world.

Visuals were excellent, as to be expected. I love all the animal life scattered around. The foliage keeps getting more impressive. But most of all I loved Nadine's forearms. Everyone in the franchise should have Popeye arms from all the climbing, but Nadine's veins are impressive.

Overall, everything was better than UC4: the pacing, the balance of types of gameplay, the puzzles, and the set pieces. I enjoyed the rope mechanic much more too. I didn't want everything to end, however if it were longer, I wouldn't want it to be as drawn out as 4 either.

As has been the case lately, I spend a ton of time in Photo Mode as well. Here are my 54 shots.

I'm gonna hop over to the screenshot thread, but here are a few of my spoiler-y favorites:

They showed it in the launch trailer

I regret watching that trailer.

robotrock

Banned
I still can't get over how 4 relies on this brother that came out of nowhere, but that's more of my issue with 4's existence. I liked Sam in 4 and I thought he was fun here too.

For some reason though I was convinced it wasn't actually Troy Baker in this. I've heard enough Troy Baker soundalikes that I can never be sure.

Given the developed friendship here, I wouldn't mind future Uncharted continuing to follow Chloe and Nadine. Would be nice to revisit Cutter, Sully, and Sam. You could have Nate and Elena pop up in the same way Elena did in 3 (being on an official expedition and helping out with some permits/visas/IDs/etc on the side)

some people upset that Sam showed up and wishing that he would have got killed at some point do realize that would retcon the ending of UC4. I mean the epilogue takes place like 14/15 years later and Cassie reads a letter from Sam and Sully.

l personally don't get the "i wish nadine turned and killed sam" responses in the OP - with a revenge sequel in mind as a follow up with chloe going after nadine.

Also, I knew it was coming but I loved how Chloe had to lock pick her way out when they were all handcuffed. They used a mechanic they introduced and made it work for the plot.

Also, the one puzzle where they used the rope to pull up the lid. Clever stuff.

Add: I liked how the wall climbs etc are all semi different - that pole/shoreline box with the trolley when sam showed up - and I loved it when chloe missed the jump and got knocked out. The next time you see her, she's covered in cuts and bumps. Loved that they know you've played these games a million times before and mixed it up.

These are the things I noted and loved.

robotrock

Banned
Add: I liked how the wall climbs etc are all semi different - that pole/shoreline box with the trolley when sam showed up - and I loved it when chloe missed the jump and got knocked out. The next time you see her, she's covered in cuts and bumps. Loved that they know you've played these games a million times before and mixed it up.

Yeah I got really tired of climbing stuff in UC4 but it was really pleasant in this. Especially when you get to climb those incredible looking structures.

All the climbs felt perfectly placed too

Top Bottom