• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps_vita_system.png

I will die in battle; that I am certain of. But I hope to die in a battle of my choosing. But if it is to be this one, do not bury me in our sad little cemetery. Burn me, and cast my ashes to a strong eastern wind.

Rootbeer

Banned
And to think I paid $249.99 not all that long ago. No regrets, I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it (well, until I upgraded to an XL which is even nicer)

I prefer my Vita. If only it had Zelda, Kid Icarus and my other favorites.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Look, Nintendo. I'm willing to buy an XL, but not until you're willing to give us a color that isn't mind-meltingly terrible. Perhaps consider... I dunno... ANYTHING else?

Tuck

Sort of wish I waited to this year to buy the system.

But then again, I've been enjoying my 3DS for a full year now.

Henke

/yawn

My launch 3DS is still mostly collecting dust, though my kid's having fun playing the new Kingdom Hearts.

Both devices just seem so outdated to me now, having spent so much time on my iPhone. Not going to debate the minuses of gaming on iOS, but it's just nice to have everything in one device I can easily carry around with me in my front pocket. Plus, it's hard to reconcile $30-40 a pop when I can spend $10 and have 10 games to fool around with. My guess is, folks like me are the reason Nintendo feels the need for another price drop.

It took 30 posts for the iPhone evangelists to show up? GAF is slipping.

Miles X

Is this really needed?! 3DS is doing great, I think Nintendo have unrealistic expectations if this is in result of 3DS not matching up to the envitable lower than DS at the same timeframe sales.

Seems like throwing away profit tbh.

This has little to do with Vita. I don't even think they care about Vita. It's all about combating iPads and other tabs. The 3DS NPD sales have been mediocre for this entire year. Super aggressive move by Nintendo, I think it's great.

Is this really needed?! 3DS is doing great

It is doing great in Japan.

If Nintendo is doing this then it must be really really tough out there.

Nintendo are usually the most sluggish at cutting prices - at least they have been in previous generations.

I hope Smartphones and tablets keep up the pressure so that they'll have to reduce 3DS software prices too.

meppi

Not quite sure why they would do this for the holiday season since it's selling very well as it is.
That being said, it seems they are not looking for short term gains, but instead are playing the long game.
Very aggressive indeed.

1-D_FTW

Every territory doing nice black and white bundles.

NoA: Here's an ugly blue with your Mario Kart bundle. Enjoy:)

This has little to do with Vita. I don't even think they care about Vita. It's all about combating iPads and other tabs. The 3DS NPD sales have been mediocre for this entire year. Super aggressive move by Nintendo, I think it's great.

Yep, this has nothing to do with Vita but everything to do with getting their ass handed to them by Apple and Google.

Good if true. 3DS needs it outside Japan.

Can't see why this would have anything to do with Vita, though. Like it or not, it hasn't exactly been competitive with 3DS.

Takao

Banned
In Europe, you can buy 2 Vitas AND 2 3DS consoles for the price of 1 iPhone 5.

In my experience, over here the average consumer doesn't buy a phone off contract. They get it for $0 with a 3 year deal. Then again, I live in Canada where the telecos own our souls.

Smartphones and tablets have changed the handheld market.

Expensive portable hardware will be a thing of the past.
Said this before the new handhelds even launched. Gaf was fooled by the 3ds price drop splurge, ignoring that 3ds and the vita combined were underperforming the prior gen. Now 3ds is going all bomba on them.

BowieZ

Banned
Smartphones and tablets have changed the handheld market.

Expensive portable hardware will be a thing of the past.
Nintendo Phone is definitely next.

- competitive with iPhone/iPad
- family friendly, for the ever expanding children's phone market
- core Nintendo franchises esp. Mario and Pokemon
- will work as controller for next home console system
- 3D, incl. cartridge slot for BC with 3DS titles.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo were one of the first to recognise the threat, weren't they?

I seem to remember them acknowledging it but then I'm usually drunk.

They basically said that any device that takes time away from their systems in a competitor. So technically the television is a competitor to their consoles even if it's not usually mentioned. The WiiU even addresses this by allowing you to play the WiiU even while the TV is in use.

Neo C.

I hope game prices are next, back to the ds range of $30 standard $35 SE tax. I think though that this price drop, on top of the initial massive price drop shows that the 3ds as a piece of hardware is not well designed to contend with market realities. Too many potential consumers have been lost to smartphones, ipods, tablets, etc. This really makes me curious about how Nintendo will respond with future hardware refreshes or their next gen handheld.

Good question, I think they are going to be way more price sensitive than ever. The Vita has shown the lack of demand for strong hardware.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Phone Numbers = Friend Codes

Striek

I'm actually surprised by this move though and question its necessity. 3DS was profitable at its old price, this is the 2nd major price drop the 3DS has had in the last 14 months. This sends a message saying that maybe next year it'll be $99 and I should wait for that instead. This price drop will not get the 3DS to outsell tablets and smartphones, it'll not get it to reach DS LTD sales, all it will do is make it a much better value proposition compared to vita and possibly kill it.

Nintendo is possibly losing money on each 3DS sold again, so is this worth it?
Nintendo doesn't only want 'profitability' they target a level of profitability. They can't risk missing their forecasts again and losing more support outside Japan. They need to move hardware short term to sell more software long term. Increase that installed base.

They way not outsell tablets/smartphones or reach the DS LTD, but that doesn't mean they give up. First salvage the 3DS situation (like they've mostly done in Japan) and then plan the next move.

1-D_FTW

Maybe for Japan. But they've really dicked around way too long. If you have any children in your life, it's amazing the foothold iOS has with them. Apple is to them the way Nintendo was to previous generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom