• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted

Hi SteamGAF.

Really random question about storage to follow but first I guess some context. I'm currently in the process of moving from console to PC and am gaming on a really crappy old desktop whilst being in the process of building, I guess, a mid-tier gaming PC (Ryzen 5 1600/1060).

One of the things I'm really struggling with decision wise is about storage space. I kind of want to go with an SSD for the OS and a few often used, favourite games but my budget doesn't stretch to much over 250GB. Because of this I might end up going small SSD plus a larger HDD for the moment. Is it possible in Steam to have manage games across multiple drives? Like a few often used favourites on the SSD and then the rest on the HDD?

Apologies is this is obvious, I'm a bit new to this!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nabs

Hi SteamGAF.

Really random question about storage to follow but first I guess some context. I'm currently in the process of moving from console to PC and am gaming on a really crappy old desktop whilst being in the process of building, I guess, a mid-tier gaming PC (Ryzen 5 1600/1060).

One of the things I'm really struggling with decision wise is about storage space. I kind of want to go with an SSD for the OS and a few often used, favourite games but my budget doesn't stretch to much over 250GB. Because of this I might end up going small SSD plus a larger HDD for the moment. Is it possible in Steam to have manage games across multiple drives? Like a few often used favourites on the SSD and then the rest on the HDD?

Yup. Steam allows for multiple Library Folders across different drives. Having an SSD for your OS and favorite games is a great idea.

Steam > Settings > Downloads: Steam Library Folders

BasilZero

Holy shit I just sold my PlayStation 4 + 33 physical games, PS Eye, stand, cover etc. for $400, which means I have no more consoles left. Which also means it's the first time I am a PC owner only. Ever since I was 5 years I've been playing on the Super Famicom, Game Boy, got my first PlayStation at my 10th birthday and ever since I've owned every single console and handheld. This is gonna be an interesting time. I can probably manage with that Steam library but it's gonna be interesting to me.

Damn

I cant even do that :p

I still game on my PS4, WiiU, and 3DS aside from my PC.

I also still have my PS3, Wii and other previous consoles such as the Gamecube, N64, PS2, etc.

I am hoping/planning to build myself a new PC sometime in the next 2-3 months depending on the prices, might linger all the way to Feb (around my birthday time).

I do plan to get a Nintendo Switch sometime next year hopefully or wait at least until 2019 if I get myself a new rig built up in 2018.

Ted

Yup. Steam allows for multiple Library Folders across different drives. Having an SSD for your OS and favorite games is a great idea.

Steam > Settings > Downloads: Steam Library Folders

Ah, yes I see it now. That's great, thanks Nabs. SSD does sound like a good idea but is totally new to me so I'm a little, well, nervous. I'm used to loading times, when will I make a drink?!

I assume this adds an additional prompt when downloading, something akin to "where do you want to put this"?

Javier23

Banned
You can now wishlist Village Monsters (Animal Crossing meets Mother) on Steam.

Kickstarter still going.

Also, after watching Drive last night (intense!) I find Sub Rosa. Make deals and do exchanges with rival gangs for city control, bring your squad for back up, make escapes in manual-shifting cars. Resivour Dogs, meets Heat, meets Drive? I recon this is the offshoot of the original DayZ idea where cooperation was so novel, but in that case it became shoot-on-sight.
I used to play Subrosa when it was free. It was awesome. Need to buy it one day.

Not that I'm buying yet, but I downloaded the Prey demo as well.

The guns-free Watch Dogs playthrough is still going but the kid relayed to his mom that I was breaking windows and taking other people's cars. No more playing that during the day. Wah-wahhh.

Not that I'm buying yet, but I downloaded the Prey demo as well.

The guns-free Watch Dogs playthrough is still going but the kid relayed to his mom that I was breaking windows and taking other people's cars. No more playing that during the day. Wah-wahhh.

Lol damn your own kid ratted you out?

Parsnip

I assume this adds an additional prompt when downloading, something akin to "where do you want to put this"?

There's a dropdown selection for library folders in the first installation popup where you see the game size and such, you can also create new library folders straight from that drowdown if at any point you want to.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Good Robot -- MB-C229FB41C307B13C - Taken by Dangerblade
One More Dungeon -- MB-72B4F65F0569D69E - Taken by sadblob
Warhammer Quest -- MB-376DF7D109FBFCD0 - Taken by Madventure
Zombie Vikings -- MB-E5E77AE08EBCF080 - Taken by alr1ght

zkylon

zkylewd
It's really a good deal for such an excellent game. I don't think Prey deserves to be sold for 16 bucks a copy, especially not this early; it deserves to be sold for 30 or more bucks.

yeah it's surprising it's going for so cheap

i mostly bought it cos i'm still mad at arkane for dishonored 2 running like shit

Jimrpg

Hi SteamGAF.

Yeah this is what I do.

I have a 256gb SSD and 4gb of regular Western Digital Blue.

Seems to work fine for me. In the past loading times were a bit of a pain in the butt because you'd exit one room and the game would have to load from CD. But now there's barely any loading in most games (that I play) except for when you start up the game or save file. GTA or The Witcher 3 might be the longest one, but once you're in, there's no other loading really. I don't really see the benefit of games on SSD, but I guess I haven't tried it.

Having the OS on SSD is a no brainer though, especially if you're like me and turn your computer off after every session.

It's nice to see Divinity 2 still going strong in its 2nd week, similar number compared to the first week.

KgYb8Qj.png

Which probably means that most people are glued to the game and not leaving it after the first Act or two like the first game.

It's nice to see Divinity 2 still going strong in its 2nd week, similar number compared to the first week.

Which probably means that most people are glued to the game and not leaving it after the first Act or two like the first game.

DOS:2 beat it's peak from last weekend, that's seriously impressive. I assumed the first weekend after launch would be the peak.

Tizoc

Upcoming gaming events-
NYCC 2017 Oct. 5 to 8
PSX 2017 Dec 9-10

Can't think of much in between aside from MAYBE Paris Game Show.

zkylon

zkylewd
Currently playing Death of the Outsider and it's much better optimized.

yeah i'll buy it on this cd keys site when it's like 75c lol

arkane owe me $60 as far as i'm concerned

tho i guess by buying pray at $15 they just owe me $15, which is probably the price of this dlc, but also i don't want to play dishonored lol i'm angry at that game

DOS:2 beat it's peak from last weekend, that's seriously impressive. I assumed the first weekend after launch would be the peak.

So, the 2nd-week peak is actually higher? That's seriously impressive. And yes, I assumed the same as you.

Biggest surprise after PUBG and Nier this year for me. The game seems to be selling pretty well too. Good stuff overall.

Jadax

I don't think DOS2 doing well is really a surprise. DOS1 was good and people were looking forward to the sequel, and anyone following DOS2 dev with all their updates could see it was going to be a much more fleshed out game.

For me the success of PUBG is surprising though - especially since I can't seem to get into it at all. Maybe I need to group with friends for this.

What are some good one hand required games?

Also Hidden Object games, point-and-click adventure games, and visual novels.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What are some good one hand required games?

Trackmania titles. Racing time trial, only need to be able to use arrow keys.
Adventure Capitalist for something to visit from time to time.
Darkest Dungeon.
Strategy games that are turned based such as Civilization.
Peggle.
Frozen Synapse.
Most of the Heroes of Might and Magic.
I don't recall if the PC version has it or not, but Bayonetta has an easy mode that can be done with one hand.
VVVVVV and other platformers of it's like.
Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 1 and 2, and the like for RPGs.

If your mouse has extra buttons, you can even remap for some games. Portal for example my friend did with a two button on the side mouse. One for move forward, one move backward, middle mouse click for holding. It wasn't perfect, but he got through the game that way.

Likewise, the are fan made controls for games and mods using the Wii Remote with it's pointer if you want to look that up. Though I admit, that's a bit of work.

So, the 2nd-week peak is actually higher? That's seriously impressive. And yes, I assumed the same as you.

Biggest surprise after PUBG and Nier this year for me. The game seems to be selling pretty well too. Good stuff overall.

Wasn't much in it, less than 1k but the legs are impressive.

Arminsc

Too bad that cdkeys site gives me prices in SEK instead of Euros so the prices are quite a lot more expensive :(

You can change the currency on the top right corner. Don´t know how the conversion goes after that, but you should be able to take the price on any currency.

sprinkles

KgYb8Qj.png

We are playing it in 3-man coop and are having a blast (15 hours+ in one week). One bad thing of coop is that you will be missing some of the NPC conversations, plus you won't see the Origin characters personal stories. But both of those can be fixed by replaying the game in single player mode, so it's all good in the end!

NeoRaider

ECHO numbers after 5 days are not good at all. But that's what i was expecting.
Almost no marketing at all before the release. And game looks very unique and interesting. I don't know what Ultra Ultra was thinking. I hope it does better in the future and on PS4.

Hektor

ECHO numbers after 5 days are not good at all. But that's what i was expecting.
Almost no marketing at all before the release. And game looks very unique and interesting. I don't know what Ultra Ultra was thinking. I hope it does better in the future and on PS4.

I never even heard of the game until someone posted it in here and i'm generally very up to date with Indies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom