• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

never throught we would see the day in film or in figure form #oldsolo #oldhan #oldharrison :)

alot of neat star wars things to come in the future thats for sure :)

Artanisix

NZJe05w.jpg

1/4 scale megaman x statue coming from HMO, it's looking pretty hot so far.

Do any of you ever buy something from a property/franchise you generally aren't interested in but you bought because the item looked cool or was well done?
I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh, but I bought three Dark Magician Girl statues, and am planning on getting the figma because I really like her design.

Do any of you ever buy something from a property/franchise you generally aren't interested in but you bought because the item looked cool or was well done?

Generally avoid the habit, but SHF Star Wars is one. Star Wars prints money. Japanese toys are notorious for being good (and SHF are generally good), so I grab the odd SW figure to put aside, but I have no interest in the franchise otherwise.

SHF also have some damn cool looking Garou figures. I don't even know what that is. Some mature Sentai show or something something But they look well cool, and I'm tempted each time they release something new to just pick something up.

And then there is the Monster Hunter Zinogre figure which also looks cool and is another franchise I'm not that attached to. But again, it looks cool!

Then there is collecting lame characters in a series just because you've started. DBZ is probably an issue for some.I started late so I'm good...even though I'll still probably get Mr.Satan if they ever do it, despite hating the character a ton! I will cry the day Figma do a Disney Princess line - Nendoroid's is just the start, blatantly!

- J - D -

Nooo!!! That was not my intention!

Hehe it's too late I've already leveraged my property to buy more stuff! Thanks for the nudge. :D

I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh, but I bought three Dark Magician Girl statues, and am planning on getting the figma because I really like her design.

Have you ever thought of getting into yugioh after having bought the statues or is something you've decided against still?

Generally avoid the habit, but SHF Star Wars is one. Star Wars prints money. Japanese toys are notorious for being good (and SHF are generally good), so I grab the odd SW figure to put aside, but I have no interest in the franchise otherwise.

SHF also have some damn cool looking Garou figures. I don't even know what that is. Some mature Sentai show or something something But they look well cool, and I'm tempted each time they release something new to just pick something up.

And then there is the Monster Hunter Zinogre figure which also looks cool and is another franchise I'm not that attached to. But again, it looks cool!

Then there is collecting lame characters in a series just because you've started. DBZ is probably an issue for some.I started late so I'm good...even though I'll still probably get Mr.Satan if they ever do it, despite hating the character a ton! I will cry the day Figma do a Disney Princess line - Nendoroid's is just the start, blatantly!

Yeah the import stuff fills a gap that it seems western companies just aren't doing at the higher end. I've learned enough to respect Mezco and Sideshow, but who else stateside is producing higher end 1/12 and 1/6 stuff?

I'm trying not to look at Nendos and figmas. It's a sand trap I see myself easily falling into. I'm currently tempering an obsession with X-Plus Godzilla figures though..

1upsuper

Does anyone buy Godzilla sofubi Vinyl Wars figures from like Bullmark, Marusan, Medicom, etc.? Those retro-stylized soft vinyl figures? I get the feeling most figure collectors around here prioritize accurate likeness and this is a pretty niche subset of an already niche community, so I kinda doubt it, but maybe someone does. Personally, I love creative liberties in my figures and I like stylization, so I adore these figures. I only have one so far:

But I would definitely like to get more.

I grew up int he 90s so my era of Transformers is Beast Wars, yet I still collect the Masterpiece Transformers line which mostly represents characters from the 80s animated series, which I'm too young to have any nostalgia for. Great figures all around, and the key characters transcend a single generation too, even though these particular figures are meant to represent the original incarnations. Thankfully, Beast Wars is starting to get some much needed representation in the Masterpiece line.

I own almost all of the Mega Man X figures from Bandai's D-Arts line, even though my experience with the game series is limited. I played the hell out of, and cherished Mega Man Xtreme on the Gameboy Color as a kid, and became completely obsessed with the characters at the time. It wasn't until much later did I actually have the means to play the original Mega Man X.

I bought a few of the Revoltech Patlabor figures many years ago when they first came out because I thought they looked super cool, although I have never seen the anime.

This was the first Macross figure I ever bought, and I wasn't familiar with the anime at all at the time. It's actually what inspired me to check out the anime, i didn't even know that it was the main protagonists Valkyrie when I first bought it!

Nowadays, I don't really do this anymore. I need to be at least somewhat invested, or have a purpose to what I buy. For example, I'm collecting any Figma and SH Figuarts figures to represent the cast of Super Smash Bros. I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening or Fates, but I have Lucina and will be getting Corrin. I picked Figma Snake before I had even played Metal Gear (I've since played MGS 1-3, love em). I will also probably pick up SHF Ryu even though I don't play Street Fighter.

I've also been collecting Hot Toys Iron Man figures for the last few years, but I wouldn't call myself the biggest fan of the character or the movies. I only like about half of the Marvel movies that Tony Stark has appeared in, but the figures are some of the best that I've ever owned and they look incredible.

Collect what makes you happy, and if you're not interested in property, perhaps use that figure as launchpad to checking it out. You might end up loving that figure even more once you get familiar with the source material.

Amalthea

Banned
Does anyone buy Godzilla sofubi Vinyl Wars figures from like Bullmark, Marusan, Medicom, etc.? Those retro-stylized soft vinyl figures? I get the feeling most figure collectors around here prioritize accurate likeness and this is a pretty niche subset of an already niche community, so I kinda doubt it, but maybe someone does. Personally, I love creative liberties in my figures and I like stylization, so I adore these figures. I only have one so far:

But I would definitely like to get more.
Lurker here but I actually got quite a number of those including vintage ones.

They might look naive and somewhat garish but that's the charm IMO. And it's hard to stop collecting them. :B

Zombine

Banned
Amiami always pressing me when I'm a minute late, but when they request payment at 7:01am and I have it sent to them by 7:02am they take their sweet ass time shipping off my box.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Amiami always pressing me when I'm a minute late, but when they request payment at 7:01am and I have it sent to them by 7:02am they take their sweet ass time shipping off my box.

but you don't ever pay

Jaeger

Pre-Order for 1/12 Synthetic Human(2nd Production Run) and the 1/12 CaRB(Collared and Reprogrammed Body) is live! 1/12, my fave scale! I snagged both from AmiAmi. The first run was selling for over $100 on eBay and other places (if it wasn't sold out), so being able to get them at sub $60 is awesome.

I received a couple of really big boxes this week. Inside the first box was the NECA series 17 Predator set.

Up first is the Youngblood Predator.

FDn6xBr.jpg

PvOJzuc.jpg

PQoXoN7.jpg

WumrCCc.jpg

Ab2vDpY.jpg

This was probably my least anticipated Predator in this way. Honestly, I was pretty close to skipping him. But the Alien head accessory sold me. Now that I have him in hand, I'm really glad I bought him. The bright silver armor really pops. Plus the Alien head on a spear is just super cool.

Up next is the Serpent Hunter Predator from the Aliens vs Predator video game.

6AskJJR.jpg

sn1atv0.jpg

lMULIB8.jpg

XN4tn9P.jpg

kS4qEsY.jpg

I was really looking forward to this guy, and NECA did not disappoint. Just an awesome Predator. Really dig the darker armor. The dual gauntlet blades and his Alien head bio-mask make him such a cool looking figure. He has all the articulation of the recent Predtors, and that allows for some super dynamic poses. Just a striking figure I couldn't be happier to add to my ever growing clans.

Finally comes the Elder Predator from AvP.

MhHOqre.jpg

MTPsfHF.jpg

ycHYJ5E.jpg

4k6Xa3c.jpg

1SL3ALx.jpg

Du1OfxV.jpg

I think this is the last Predator we'll see from AvP. Another great job by NECA. I love that they gave him a removable bio-mask. His cloth goods cape is well done. Just so much little detail in the sculpt of this guy. Now I just need to get around to getting that AvP two pack with the battle damaged characters to complete my AvP set.

Now for the second big arrival this week. The MonsterArts Special Color Edition of King Ghidorah.

sPL1rSK.jpg

dR4gVVD.jpg

0japTdh.jpg

cqlJ767.jpg

Man, this guy is a massive figure. I was worried he wouldn't fit on my shelf due to those wings. But fortunately, he fits in fine. Thanks to his massive wing span, he takes up about the space of three MonsterArts figures. When I was getting into MonsterArts, I watched a bunch of video reviews for the guys. Their first Ghidorah had really poorly constructed wings and his heads kept popping off. This guy supposedly didn't have any of those issues, so I decided to go for it. I'm happy to report, the figure I received is perfect. His wings are sturdy and his heads stay on just fine. He's just so awesome. Now I need to get the special color edition of Mecha Godzilla when it comes out.

NEO0MJ

I received a couple of really big boxes this week.

Great shots as always, Plasticine. What do you use for your backdrop and how do you light it? Can you show us a picture of your miniuature studio?

Also, where did you buy your King Ghidora? I was tempted to buy him before but the issues with the wings made me hesitant. Now that they fixed them with this release I might be tempted to bite...

Got my mythic legion skeles(skapular and scaphoid) in and OMG are they amazing. I want them all now...

Another victim of Diggeh's whispers of temptation. Tragic.

Great shots as always, Plasticine. What do you use for your backdrop and how do you light it? Can you show us a picture of your miniuature studio?

Also, where did you buy your King Ghidora? I was tempted to buy him before but the issues with the wings made me hesitant. Now that they fixed them with this release I might be tempted to bite...

Thank you.

I use this portable studio, so I don't have a permanent set-up. I set-up the light box wherever its convenient. It's small--Ghidorah pretty much took up the whole thing-- and includes all a couple of backdrops and lights.

I got King Ghidorah from an E-Bay seller.

ev0

Hey figure GAF, have a question about Bigbadtoystore. It's been awhile since I ordered from them but I just received the Transformers Masterpiece Prowl I ordered.

The box is way more damaged than what I would consider to be "Standard Grade 80%" (to use their terms). I dont know if this is normal for them now- I used to not have any problems when I used to order a tons of GI Joes in the past.

Also I really like the takara MP boxes- so its kind of annoying. How are they with returns/replacements these days? Or a, I being too picky? Thanks!

Some pics
S2TmlXa.jpg

B7vgYjR.jpg

uW2JuTR.jpg

LiK

^ You can probably get it exchanged if you're unhappy. BBTS customer service is pretty good. Just email them and see what they say about it. i'm kinda glad i don't care about box condition anymore since i toss out most of them these days.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Figuarts Han shipped last night! Should be here by the end of next week :)

Mine shipped at 4AM Pacific. It would have shipped earlier but every time I order from them they change my billing to PayPal when they're ready to collect. Then I need to wait for manual confirmation of my billing change to correct it and wait for another payment request E-mail.

I grew up int he 90s so my era
This was the first Macross figure I ever bought, and I wasn't familiar with the anime at all at the time. It's actually what inspired me to check out the anime, i didn't even know that it was the main protagonists Valkyrie when I first bought it! I've also been collecting Hot Toys Iron Man figures for the last few years, but I wouldn't call myself the biggest fan of the character or the movies. I only like about half of the Marvel movies that Tony Stark has appeared in, but the figures are some of the best that I've ever owned and they look incredible.
oh man nice! the Macross vf-1 1/48's were great at the time. it was the first ever perfect transformation vf-1 by yamato. just so incredible at the time. the nose is too long in battroid so once the 1/60 vf-1 version 2 came out with the perfect balance of all three modes, i sold all my 1/48's off. i swoosh around vf-1's daily =)

i love the hot toys IM suits. i assume you have hulk buster on order =)

Anybody know of any lines out now that would have arrows in a 6" scale? I want to customize my skeleton's shield with arrows plugged into it heh. I found some lord of the rings on ebay, but looking for something cheap I could find in store if possible

Venture

Anybody know of any lines out now that would have arrows in a 6" scale? I want to customize my skeleton's shield with arrows plugged into it heh. I found some lord of the rings on ebay, but looking for something cheap I could find in store if possible
Have you considered making your own? You can find toothpicks something like these in most grocery stores.

mJYmmaq.jpg

kLnSxCo.jpg

Just needs a little paint and some trimming maybe. I guess you'd have to add some fletching too, but that probably wouldn't be too hard.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Got my mythic legion skeles(skapular and scaphoid) in and OMG are they amazing. I want them all now...

Now's the perfect time to back the 2.0 KS! Just choose a $30+ figure tier and you can buy whatever else you want when they send out the the BackerKit.

choose Boarrior

Another victim of Diggeh's whispers of temptation. Tragic.
With all the non-human figures they're making I'm surprised you're not tempted, especially by B'alam.

Lo3YP2h.png

He lies about good anime too he's truly awful.

I don't think anyone here is going to defend you giving Cowboy Bebop a 5/10 that's not something that should be public knowledge

Don't think you're walking away from this either, Haloid. As his most loyal acolyte we'll burn you too just to be safe.

giphy.gif

But I own more than him.

You know what you don't own?

A Forest Troll for your forest figures.

Have you considered making your own? You can find toothpicks something like these in most grocery stores.

Just needs a little paint and some trimming maybe. I guess you'd have to add some fletching too, but that probably wouldn't be too hard.

I had thought of that and may go with that option. I do have some toothpicks around and plenty of paint

Now's the perfect time to back the 2.0 KS! Just choose a $30+ figure tier and you can buy whatever else you want when they send out the the BackerKit.

I had already signed up. I'm down for all their skeletons and silver knight haha

- J - D -

I grew up int he 90s so my era of Transformers is Beast Wars, yet I still collect the Masterpiece Transformers line which mostly represents characters from the 80s animated series, which I'm too young to have any nostalgia for. Great figures all around, and the key characters transcend a single generation too, even though these particular figures are meant to represent the original incarnations. Thankfully, Beast Wars is starting to get some much needed representation in the Masterpiece line.

I own almost all of the Mega Man X figures from Bandai's D-Arts line, even though my experience with the game series is limited. I played the hell out of, and cherished Mega Man Xtreme on the Gameboy Color as a kid, and became completely obsessed with the characters at the time. It wasn't until much later did I actually have the means to play the original Mega Man X.

I bought a few of the Revoltech Patlabor figures many years ago when they first came out because I thought they looked super cool, although I have never seen the anime.

This was the first Macross figure I ever bought, and I wasn't familiar with the anime at all at the time. It's actually what inspired me to check out the anime, i didn't even know that it was the main protagonists Valkyrie when I first bought it!

Nowadays, I don't really do this anymore. I need to be at least somewhat invested, or have a purpose to what I buy. For example, I'm collecting any Figma and SH Figuarts figures to represent the cast of Super Smash Bros. I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening or Fates, but I have Lucina and will be getting Corrin. I picked Figma Snake before I had even played Metal Gear (I've since played MGS 1-3, love em). I will also probably pick up SHF Ryu even though I don't play Street Fighter.

I've also been collecting Hot Toys Iron Man figures for the last few years, but I wouldn't call myself the biggest fan of the character or the movies. I only like about half of the Marvel movies that Tony Stark has appeared in, but the figures are some of the best that I've ever owned and they look incredible.

Collect what makes you happy, and if you're not interested in property, perhaps use that figure as launchpad to checking it out. You might end up loving that figure even more once you get familiar with the source material.

I love Beast Wars and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that new Masterpiece Optimus Primal. And yes, I am collecting what makes me happy :)

You mentioned representing the Smash Bros cast in figure form -- Is it possible to complete that collection currently? Are all Smash bros characters represented so far in one consistent scale?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Official pics of Revoltech Amazing Yamaguchi Spider-Gwen.

Spider-Gwen-Revoltech-1.jpg

06OMXzM.png

aw shucks

You mentioned representing the Smash Bros cast in figure form -- Is it possible to complete that collection currently? Are all Smash bros characters represented so far in one consistent scale?

Not yet obviously. Still tons of missing characters, but I've been working on my collection. Need to take a pic.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Same, but no Jakks Pacific for me.

But Jakks is actually filling out the ranks with tons of stuff:

• Wario
  • Diddy
  • Donkey Kong
  • Bowser
  • Falco
  • Fox
  • Peach
  • Sheik
  • Olimar (2" version)
  • Bowser Jr.
  • More upcoming stuff including the Koopalings

The figures aren't that bad. The Figuarts Mario line is pretty much dead in the water, so don't expect most of those to get Figuarts or figma (Sheik probably at some point because Zelda). Plus Tomy for Greninja (since there's strangely no Figuarts yet).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That unmasked Spider-Gwen face is nauseatingly anime.

Top Bottom